Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hey fellow hb crew.......Had a learning lesson and wanted to share it with the community.

It all started with a plant that didn't get up potted to a big enough pot for bloom so I tried to up pot again half way through bloom, and as it was mid bloom I didn't want to score the roots and cause any more stress........well here is proof that it ought to be done, once again she was in her final home for 5 weeks.........
IMG_20150626_204820249.jpg

Once again guys and gals plan big for big enough pot and SCORE YOUR ROOTS!!!!!!

Good for you for sharing. When I see roots like that, I grab them and make a fist while I turn the ball.... That's my natural reaction. I'm sure slicing them is best... But,,, live and learn good for you for educating.... ;)

Good for you for sharing. When I see roots like that, I grab them and make a fist while I turn the ball.... That's my natural reaction. I'm sure slicing them is best... But,,, live and learn good for you for educating.... ;)

The best practice is to score from top to bottom with a razor blade in veg and a knife or box cutter in larger pots. Sharp is best.

This encourages lateral branching of roots which helps alleviate circling.

That columbian has an insane calyx to leaf ratio! Those buds look bigger than golf balls lmao!! All really consistent looking too! Where is that columbian from Doc? Who's the breeder I mean?

That columbian has an insane calyx to leaf ratio! Those buds look bigger than golf balls lmao!! All really consistent looking too! Where is that columbian from Doc? Who's the breeder I mean?

I have a friend who pilots small private jets. He brought it back from Colombia. No breeder, just a seeded cola from the Punta Roja region. He gave a cola to me and another guy in norcal. I learned about the pheno's from the norcal guy who specifically told me to look for the fast one. I popped 10 or 12....can't remember...but one of them was the fast one.

oh you were asking Doc, my bad :p

Thanks for the "before and after" pruning pix Doc. I need to learn more about pruning - any favorite tutorials out there?
:Namaste:

Its actually alot simpler than one would think, it just takes courage and practice.

The only thing I would say that I have learned when I had no clue vs now is not to take leaves. Take whole branches, never just pop leaves. I still know "experienced" growers who pull big leaves all the time but even if it isn't bad, its just not nearly as effective as removing branches. Snip one big leaf at a time or 30? I choose 30 I got shit to do.

Start at the bottom and work your way up, count developed nodes from the top down (usually there are 1-2 nodes that are really tender and fresh, I tend to ignore them in my count. 5 nodes is pretty standard, they will grow more nodes. I have cut my girls back to 5 nodes at least 4 times this cycle, one of which was about 12 days ago, they probably have 15-20 nodes right now, check out my journal for more before and after pruning.

The hardest part for me is deciding when to cull smaller branches that don't quite make it from the bottom. Theres always a couple that I was hoping would turn into "majors" but never quite make it up to the top of the canopy or get thick and strong.

I prune when:

-they get thick in veg
-right before stretch
-right after stretch

*my techniques have been refined through Doc's tips this year, particularly regarding 5 nodes, its a theme to look for with newly rooted clones and seedlings!

I have a friend who pilots small private jets. He brought it back from Colombia. No breeder, just a seeded cola from the Punta Roja region. He gave a cola to me and another guy in norcal. I learned about the pheno's from the norcal guy who specifically told me to look for the fast one. I popped 10 or 12....can't remember...but one of them was the fast one.

World of seeds has some columbian gold seeds. I wonder how close they are to what you have. They say theyre the old landraces from there so I think ill give em a shot :)

Back
Top Bottom