How I droughted in an top feed, recirculating hydroponic system, with a 100% hydroton medium.

The first part is to select a branch/cola, that you can consistently take a photo of, from the same exact perspective each time. To accomplish this, I simply marked a spot on my scrog Frame (made with PVC), and the angle of the phone.
20211105_111647.jpg

When I would sit my phone on the Frame, and point it at the chosen branch/cola, I had consistent photos of the same perspective of the selected branch/cola.
20211105_190338.jpg

If you look at that cola, you can see it's isolated, and has nothing to rest against (wich would skew the measurements).

Next take the picture.
Download an app called Image Meter (I got it from playstore).
Open the photo within the app.
Measure from the branch to where the petiole attaches to the leaf.
Screenshot_20211105-232800_ImageMeter.jpg

You can zoom in, from within the app to click each point for the measurement for the Leaf Wilt Angle (LWA).
Be sure to remember exactly where you clicked for those three points, remember consistency is key!

Your first measurement should be done right shortly after a fertigation, so that the leaf is in its most turgid/rigid state.

Then stop the feed/fertigation going to that plant.

Continue to take photos using the above method until you have gotten to almost a 50% reduction in the LWA, or 50% of you turgid state. We want to get close, but not surpass 50% change of LWA (to my understanding).
I've attached a 2nd photo here showing the continued drought with the LWA changes.
Screenshot_20211108-124625_ImageMeter.jpg

Then resume fertigation.

Here's a bit of a gif I made showing it. The camera I had setup for the gif got moved at one point, but you can clearly see the plant wilting.

And that's it folks! Thanks to Maritimer for walking me through my first drought and his patience with everything that happened. The full read is here in my journal.
Well done, sir!

Glad I seen this post, how much aloe per gallon would you suggest?
Honestly, I'd just cut off a chunk, maybe an inch or two, stick it in a blender and then add to the water. It will foam up and act as a surficant, helping to wet your medium. The aloe has lots of nutrients in it as well that the plants will love.

You can scale it up a bit as you see how your plants react to it.

Imsorry if this has been asked already and i wont lie i have not read this entire thred but could this be done using coco/ perelite?
You're going to have to stay tuned to this thread, but the consensus is yes, but we haven't worked out the method yet.

@Rexer did his using hydroton in a dwc set-up. Those are the pics from a few posts back.

Glad I seen this post, how much aloe per gallon would you suggest?
Screenshot_20220104-193454_Gallery.jpg
You might try a Tbsp or two per gallon of fresh ground (put in blender) yucca/aloe. With a little water added it should form a paste or liquid upon blending the fresh plant. I use a liquid retail product and it calls for a tbsp per gallon. I any case plants love yucca.

I think im going to have to try this myself. And once i start cloning in the future ill try a side by side ( one with and one without) in the future.
You will only do that once.
After that my friend, you will never fail to apply drought to every plant you garden for medicine.

Some humor, congratulations on deciding to have a go at this.
It really will change everything going forward.

just sayin :hookah:

Ahoy @Krissi1982,
When I first began preaching to the choir this was my dream. My mission was accomplished. Your turn E. :love:

If Ten gardeners around the globe decide to drought after gaining confidence in the craft the following change will happen.

10 gardeners droughted medicine will be sampled by say 10 folks each for a total of 100.

That 100 people will tell say 5 folks each about this droughted medicine for a total of 500.

500 consumers will be asking their suppliers for droughted medicine.

Passing it forward :hookah:

Welcome @Tkmk, so nice to see a new face on here adding to the discussions. @East Coast Marley420 and @ppm Charlie thanks for chiming in! Who doesn't love aloe?! @nivek, thanks so much for your continued open mind to this! I just ran a Blueberry btw...fun grow! I Appreciate your PERSISTENT digging and investigating. @Azimuth, you would think you were the one that started this thread as engaged and ready for information and giving it that you are! THANK YOU! @InTheShed , thank you so much for your kind words, for coming by in the first place, for adding your Shed wisdom and for being a positive energy. @Mlburk1 you are so very welcome-i am just thrilled this feed is getting so much attention and spreading the good word! Finally, @Rexer thank you for adding your hydroton info and what great info it is!! Amazing work! Of course, @Maritimer, can't thank you enough for leading myself and all of these fine people here and to your medicinal secrets. I'm honored to be a part of this regardless of the kick back I will and have received.

You all know I'm not one to add much thought into mediums other than soil as I know only of and have experience only with that. My virgin other medium ears can barely take in all of this information...I need my note pad, often. Having the community of other medium based growers show up and take charge where my knowledge eludes me is paramount. I am so grateful for the onslaught of ideas and conversations here!

Noting now that G made it to day 5 before her LWA dropped under 50%. I fed her last night to bring her back. A late trichome check also showed me that she is very close to harvest. I was given 6-8 weeks with her on my specs, she hits 8 tomorrow. I was thinking I'd have her for 9 but I think she is getting pulled earlier than I had originally thought. It was super late last night by the time I got to my plants, i didn't have time to get pics of her wilting self in her bone dry 5 gallon pot. I'll do some comparative trich shots once it's time to wake her up from the night before drought began. She is so sticky that I could barely get my fingers off her removing her tie up strings.

Wish we could upload things here that people come across and have been reading but we have to stay in line with the rules because I don't want this thread ending up in the moderation team's trash pile.

The baby hasn't been falling asleep and I've just been a busy solo mom with my better half still testing positive and quarantined. I apologize for just catching up here now and happy to see that you all have talked and not argued amongst yourselves in my absence.

My overall belief here is that if your main goal to create better medicine and not win plant of the month posting a pic of your stacked, upright, and leaf praying beauty at week 8-THIS IS THE WAY! I will never forget the comment that attached me to Maritimer's ass in a desperate attempt to learn more about droughting...

Finding his Rezination post through what I thought was sheer luck, I came to a big fork in my growing road. Pre conceived notions of having the prettiest plant at all times would give me the best smoke were ripped out from under me; but like the tablecloth trick, everything remained in place on the table just as it was before.

I meagerly posted a comment on his thread (where I followed silently for so long not wanting to comment and sound like an idiot). In it I said, something like "Wow, I thought to have the best plant meant it had to be the most beautiful all the time". Maritimer then told me without hesitation or waver- "Yea, if you want to win a silly contest like Plant of the Month". That comment never left my brain...

*note*a request asking support to add in that up to 11 day piece on the first introduction has been sent, Shed.

Thanks again guys for your dedication to medicinal cannabis, you all ROCK!

So when I walked into the grow room just now to open things back up, I forgot I had given you all a surprise! I took off a bottom bottom branch that was going to end up in butter anyway and got pics of her what some would consider dead self.

I took shots of a bottom branch again this morning and then of a trichomed bud and a main branch as well as a couple shots of her middle. You can see how quickly she bounced back to her normal but much more sticky self just overnight.

I wished I had taken a pic of the whole plant but the room was dark so I caught a pic of her branch with the light coming in from my door.

Hope this shows you that they come back just fine!

20220105_113837.jpg

20220105_113851.jpg

20220105_113945.jpg

20220105_114310.jpg

20220105_114131.jpg

20220105_114030.jpg

20220105_114350.jpg

20220105_115209.jpg

20220105_115249.jpg

Wow - I dream of trichs like that!!!! :thumb:
Here's a weird question - my crop was weak this year so....Is it the quality of the trichs, amount of trichs or if not strong does using more get you the same high??? Is it quality, quantity or amount used??

Wow - I dream of trichs like that!!!! :thumb:
Here's a weird question - my crop was weak this year so....Is it the quality of the trichs, amount of trichs or if not strong does using more get you the same high??? Is it quality, quantity or amount used??
Hi greenjeans, is it possible you cut it early? Thc builds steeply in the last weeks. If we cut them before the build up they smoke weak. Just one avenue it could be.

I have a question about the 11 day vs dry soil talk. If the goal is to wait for LWA to reach -50%, but let's say it only reaches -40%; there should still be adequate increase in trichomes, etc right?

In other words, if you cut droughting short a little bit, it just means you did not capitalize on it's full potential?

Also, what if you drought later in flower than week 7. How about week 8, if it's possible. Can't it be like a flush, but without actually flushing?

Ok Here I am at 8 days ! Feeding tonight it is starting to list to one side and don’t want my main stem to split! “Or do I another post “ HaHa I just feel it’s time and I’ll learn as I go. Luv this place Thanks Krissi for starting this
E5DD4F88-646A-4756-B4CD-43FD6A9E3A19.jpeg
671C28CF-2B59-407C-8BF2-10290FC14839.jpeg
403233BD-C6BB-4F0C-8F32-0566D13EA3A1.jpeg
9BBC0FD3-73EA-4518-AF1F-79B908C8E89E.jpeg
E91732D3-FCA9-46EB-93DF-98609BAFB13C.jpeg
Wicked... Nice plants bro. Haven't heard from you in a while hope you doing okay.

Nice buds Krissi. :)
I'm always amazed how fast the leaves bounce back when watered. If not crisp they come back.
Crazy right! But that's why I guess this process didn't scare me away so much to begin with and thanks Stink. Still need to do my updates today and check on @Maritimer s thread, so behind!
Evelyn Woodhead :theband:

Tighter growth rings in trees do make better boards... much better actually.

Plugging the hole in hempy and adding extra water could suffocate the roots?

I grow coco in cloth... could spraying the outside of the bag be enough to supplement the shortage of water during the drought period? if so nutes or no nutes?
Hello there! I believe someone else mentioned a similar theory here some pages back. It sounds reasonable as far as I am concerned yet we don't have anything definitve yet
I have a question about the 11 day vs dry soil talk. If the goal is to wait for LWA to reach -50%, but let's say it only reaches -40%; there should still be adequate increase in trichomes, etc right?
Absolutely
In other words, if you cut droughting short a little bit, it just means you did not capitalize on it's full potential?

The full potential I believe is shown through the LWA not the length of time in the end...there was only a study done though the one way so I can't back that 100%
Also, what if you drought later in flower than week 7. How about week 8, if it's possible. Can't it be like a flush, but without actually flushing?
I'm sure...I've also done it later as well...

My droughted girl is very much alive, still. Hanging (literally) with some of her friends..

20220105_164107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom