Dwc

Which strain next?

• Total voters
Re: SouthernWeed Swims Again.DWC/H&G Nutrients

Things look really good I'm going to be following closely. I am thinking of doing one or two more soils then giving hydro a shot.

Things look really good I'm going to be following closely. I am thinking of doing one or two more soils then giving hydro a shot.

It's a different game. Hydro feeds the inner engineer in me...the one fascinated by numbers. Soil feeds the country boy in me...dirty hands, smell of the earth and all that.

Hope you can take something away from this that you can use down the road.

Hey SW, have you ever considered doing a passive hydro Hempy bucket grow?

I'm leaning in that direction for my next grow, and I'm hoping it will feed both of those things to some degree.

It combines the best of both hydro and soil, but is simpler an easier than either.

Hey SW, have you ever considered doing a passive hydro Hempy bucket grow?

I'm leaning in that direction for my next grow, and I'm hoping it will feed both of those things to some degree.

It combines the best of both hydro and soil, but is simpler an easier than either.

Actually, I've toyed around with the idea of passive hydro for a couple months now. Talked to Pit yesterday about a recipe I found on a European growers forum for using Aqua Flakes A&B in what amounted to a soil/passive hydro method with some astonishing results. For now, I just want to gain a little experience with these nutrients before stepping up to an Ebb&Grow like Pit/McBudz, where one grow will supply all my needs for a year.

Glad to see you back with DWC - looking forward to your grow. :popcorn:

Glad to have you aboard again, Brother. Sit back, light one up and get ready for the show.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Res changed this morning. PH was at 5.86 in both buckets when they were emptied. I'm quite pleased that the nutes were PH stable, but let's wait until the plants are taking up a gallon of water a day each before we do the dance of happiness.

Week 2 Nutrients/Additives...added to 3.5 gallons of R/O water.

Aqua Flakes A 21ml
Aqua Flakes B 21ml

Set PH to 5.8

Root Aceleratuer 3.85ml
Drip Clean 1.4ml

Foliar fed with Magic Green 10:1 mix

I expect rapid growth to begin soon...they just have that look like they're about to take off.

Y'all have a great day.

It's a different game. Hydro feeds the inner engineer in me...the one fascinated by numbers. Soil feeds the country boy in me...dirty hands, smell of the earth and all that.

couldnt have put it better!:thanks:

Actually, I've toyed around with the idea of passive hydro for a couple months now. Talked to Pit yesterday about a recipe I found on a European growers forum for using Aqua Flakes A&B in what amounted to a soil/passive hydro method with some astonishing results. For now, I just want to gain a little experience with these nutrients before stepping up to an Ebb&Grow like Pit/McBudz, where one grow will supply all my needs for a year.

Sounds intriguing. I've been wanting to do passive hydro for a while now and have pretty much decided on that method for my next grow. It's how I started out growing, and I'm coming back home ;).

Glad to have you aboard again, Brother. Sit back, light one up and get ready for the show.

Oh, I'll most likely be a regular passenger on your bus, bro ;).

Sounds intriguing. I've been wanting to do passive hydro for a while now and have pretty much decided on that method for my next grow. It's how I started out growing, and I'm coming back home ;).
Oh, I'll most likely be a regular passenger on your bus, bro ;).

As always, a pleasure and honor to have you looking in.

Everything went pretty smooth with the nute change, and I'm following a recomendation to place the plants/bucket tops in pure R/O, PH adjusted water, while the new nutrient solution goes though it's PH cycle. Pretty solid idea if you think about it. The PH is going to rapidly go up .7-8 and then resettle at your set point in four hours or so. So for that period of time, 5 hours or so, the plants get some pure water, sort of a hydro version of a mini flush.

Forgot to add the Algen Extract to my list of additives yesterday. 1.6ml if I recall, and Lord God does that shit reek. With a smell like that, it damn well better work.

All is going smooth right now, hope that continues.

Y'all have a great day.

Nickles worth of free advice if you're thinking about the H&G line...don't pre-mix the Magic Green. I mixed a batch Sunday for use, used what I needed and put the spray bottle in a cool dark place. Went in just now to look in on the girls, but before I got to the bathroom I nearly puked from a smell that defies description. Anyhow, turned out to be the MG, so of course I splattered some all over the plants, making a clear water foliar wash necesary...looks like it's going to be one of those days.

I'll not use the clear water soak between nute changes again, it seems to stress the plants some. Got a small amount of leaf curl that cropped up yesterday morning. PH is solid and stable, so I'm sure it's just a bit of nutrient stress.

All continues to go well at this early stage.

Y'all have a great day.

No PH movement, but the roots are starting to explode through the hydroton, and I expect them to really take off now thet there is a good bit of root exposure to the nute solution.

Vegataive growth, to this point, has been slow, likely due to me planting these seedlings rather high in the cups...really wanted a strong root system, so I forced it to spend some time reaching roots down, but there has been a pretty noticeable difference in them in the last couple days.

Took these pics about an hour before lights on. I gave them one last good foliar wash, just to be safe, and snapped off these two pics.

This is the runt...
100_21612.jpg

And this is the leggy one...I've started adding a little hydroton to each cup every day now.
100_2162.jpg

I believe over the rest of this week and next, that we'll be seeing some good growth. I'll get some root shots tomorrow.

Y'all have a great day.

they look way better than my plants

Thanks Brother. I've made a third bucket to use tapwater and some old seed to test my tapwater with these nutes. I'm hoping it'll work out so I can move into a E&G like you and McB...that's where all the glory is.

Looking good SW. They should really start taking off from here :)

Thanks Bro, they are starting to get in gear a little. I think the next week or so will tell alot.

I would say that the real grow began sometime yesterday, as my ppm went up slightly as the water level dropped. PH did a little jig yesterday also, bouncing up to 5.95. Readjusted the nute solution level with PH adjusted water only, and the PH resettled at 5.8, and hasn't moved in 16 hours.

Root growth since yesterday has been quite impressive, easily doubling the root mass since yesterday. The more roots the better I say. The Root Aceleratuer really works. I don't have alot of experience with hydro, it's been something I've played with off and on, but I can tell that these plants are doing much better than any of my previous efforts at the same point.

Anyhow, I snapped a couple root shots and a couple of plant shots. I'll be very interested in seeing how long this explosive root growth continues.

These are pics of the leggy girl...she's growing into her stretch now.

100_2163.jpg

100_21642.jpg

These are pics of the runt.

100_2165.jpg

100_21662.jpg

So there it is for today. I believe we're right on the cusp of this grow taking off. So far, I'm quite pleased with the nutrient performance, but not alot has really happened yet other than the rooting process.

Questions, comments and observations welcome.

Y'all have a great day.

Hahaha nice mix on the VK/PW vote. I would go with VK personally, although I haven't smoked it. Purple wreck is really nice smoke though. In fact I'm smoking GHS Trainwreck right now, just a different parents than the purple wreck no doubt but I'm sure their lineage all go back to that e39 Trainwreck. I see a little white foamy frothy film on the net cup is that in your reservoir as well? That is a bad sign, are there lots of organics in the H&G full line? Just using the chems might save you from breeding any nasty bad pathogens (root rot). Using the organics later on in flower could still provide you with the flavor boost and keep em from getting ravaged early on.

Hahaha nice mix on the VK/PW vote. I would go with VK personally, although I haven't smoked it. Purple wreck is really nice smoke though. In fact I'm smoking GHS Trainwreck right now, just a different parents than the purple wreck no doubt but I'm sure their lineage all go back to that e39 Trainwreck. I see a little white foamy frothy film on the net cup is that in your reservoir as well? That is a bad sign, are there lots of organics in the H&G full line? Just using the chems might save you from breeding any nasty bad pathogens (root rot). Using the organics later on in flower could still provide you with the flavor boost and keep em from getting ravaged early on.

The RA, in conjunction with the Great White, coats the roots and does leave them looking brown, in this case discoloration is ok, even desired.

Because the H&G line is completely new to me, and despite the fact that I can pick up the phone and talk directly with PitViper or Humboldt Whosalers about any question or issues, I'm slavishly following the nutrient calculator found here...Premium Quality Dutch Plant Nutrients & Stimulants - House & Garden...just got to products and then to the calculator, and you can see exactly...and I mean exactly, what I'm using. The only addition or variance is the GW, but it was recomended by HW after their own in-house testing, so in it went.

With respect to the foam/froth, no it's not in the res. I had just vigorously mixed the nute solution in each bucket, then dipped the plants in the buckets to try and pull the roots down for a better picture. However, later in the grow, as the plants really start using the nutes and the Drip Clean starts doing it's job of binding with the salts, some foaming may occur...or it may not...there's not alot of info out there on H&G nutrients and DWC applications as many people still believe that they are unsuitable...I'm doing this to show they are.

The H&G nutrients, and I think anyone who has any experience with them will agree with me, require a little realingment on your thinking about nutrients. They are both 100% chemical and 100% organic. It depends entirely on what component you are using. For example, Aqua Flakes A&B, the base components used through the entire grow, are chemical, Algen Extract is organic.

For this grow all I'm doing is following directions. After I run through this grow, and learn how and when these things interact, I'm quite certain I'll come up with some witch's brew that I'll have to try.

I would say that the real grow began sometime yesterday, as my ppm went up slightly as the water level dropped. PH did a little jig yesterday also, bouncing up to 5.95. Readjusted the nute solution level with PH adjusted water only, and the PH resettled at 5.8, and hasn't moved in 16 hours.

Root growth since yesterday has been quite impressive, easily doubling the root mass since yesterday. The more roots the better I say. The Root Aceleratuer really works. I don't have alot of experience with hydro, it's been something I've played with off and on, but I can tell that these plants are doing much better than any of my previous efforts at the same point.

Anyhow, I snapped a couple root shots and a couple of plant shots. I'll be very interested in seeing how long this explosive root growth continues.

These are pics of the leggy girl...she's growing into her stretch now.

100_2163.jpg

100_21642.jpg

These are pics of the runt.

100_2165.jpg

100_21662.jpg

So there it is for today. I believe we're right on the cusp of this grow taking off. So far, I'm quite pleased with the nutrient performance, but not alot has really happened yet other than the rooting process.

Questions, comments and observations welcome.

Y'all have a great day.

ya know I was just thinkin...why dont you just use a rubbermaid tub....lol..JK

ya know I was just thinkin...why dont you just use a rubbermaid tub....lol..JK

Funny.

Plants are definately in gear now. PPM was up gain this morning and the water level was down in both buckets. Funny thing is, the runt actually needed about 4 ounces more water to come back up to the fill mark. PH remained stable.

Root growth is awsome, 50% more mass today than yesterday, and literally dozens of new roots slipping out of the cups.

So we're doing good now. I'll post some new pics Sunday when I change the nute solution.

Y'all have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom