Dwc

Which strain next?

• Total voters
Re: SouthernWeed Swims Again.DWC/H&G Nutrients

Roots have tripled or more their length in the last couple days, tons of new roots coming from the cups reaching for the nutrient solution.

I will admit, I had some doubts about the use of the GW in a DWC setup. Those doubts appear to have been baseless at this point. I got an aquarium going and the plants and roots seem to love it. Legs has grown into her initial stretch, stacking new growth tightly and rapidly. The Runt is confusing the hell out of me. She's doing great, don't get me wrong, but she's smaller and one node shorter than Legs, but she's consistently using more water and nutrients, she may be loading up for a mammoth surge.

Tomorrow, the nutrient package will begin to include the bloom precursors, and as such the switch to 12/12 will happen with this nutrient change.

Y'all have a great day.

Week 3 Nutrient schedule...NOTE: bucket solution amounts raised to 4 gallons

Aqua Flakes A 26ml
Aqua Flakes B 26ml

PH adjusted to 5.4...dropped it some this time to combat late week PH rise.

Multizen 15.2ml
Algen Extract 1.6ml
Drip Clean 1.6ml

Great White 2 scoops per bucket

Foliar spray with 10:1 mix of Magic Green after lights out tonight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the short veg cycle is coming to a close today. Growth in the last few days has been downright nice. Rapid growth in plant as well as roots. As I said yesterday I think, Legs has grown nicely into her stretch. The Runt is a pig...all she does is eat and grow...very low tightly stacked growth.

Last couple of days had me adding a good bit of water and dealing with some slight PH rise overnight, not enough to even get close to moving out of range, but some rise none the less. Topped them off again this morning to give them something to munch on while the new buckets went through their PH cycle, and both consumed amounts clearly visible against the fill line in about two and a half hours.

Roots are completely coated, but a slight rub (done to only one root) reveals a completely white root underneath. I have to admit, it takes a leap of faith to believe your roots are the picture of health when they are brown.

Root and plant pics of Legs...

100_21672.jpg

100_2168.jpg

100_2170.jpg

The Runt...

100_2171.jpg

100_2173.jpg

100_2174.jpg

At this point I have nothing but positive impressions of the H&G stuff, but we'll get a ways on in before I run out and get a tattoo.

Y'all have a great day.

PPM and PH way up this am in both plants, but more with Legs. I have a taped over drill bit hole to drop my PH/ppm pens through, so when I got my first readings, I thought I may be encountering a bit of a ph/ppm issue that Pit went through...not at all.

Folks, each bucket took just under one full gallon of nutrient solution in less than 24 hours. When refilled with pure, PH balanced R/O water, the PH got back in line. The ppm went down, which is good, but not a huge drop.

This leads to my first concern. There will be no leaving, even for a day, with the res sizes I'm working with. The girls are pigging out to the point I need to top their trough at least once, if not twice, a day. A large central res would easily fix this issue, but for this run, I'm sticking with what I have.

Roots are still growing with a vengeance and both plants have stacked another node...or the beginnings of one anyway. There is no evident stress from the elevated PH or PPM, although I'm sure a sensitive strain, i.e. Blueberry/Strawberry Cough would be punishing me right now.

So no real problems or issued, just need to keep an eye on res levels a couple times a day.

Note

Posted wrong ratio for Magic Green...its 100:1, not 10:1...minor difference you see.

Several people have asked me by PM what I'm doing about topping the res with nute solution. I'm not using any nutrients when I top the buckets off, just pure, PH balanced, R/O water. I realize that over the course of the week it will weaken the solution, but it also gives me a pretty good idea of how much nutrition the plant is pulling up a week. If I start getting huge ppm drops, I'll revisit the plan, but for now, that's how I'm handling it.

That's about it for today.

Y'all have a great day.

PPM and PH way up this am in both plants, but more with Legs. I have a taped over drill bit hole to drop my PH/ppm pens through, so when I got my first readings, I thought I may be encountering a bit of a ph/ppm issue that Pit went through...not at all.

Folks, each bucket took just under one full gallon of nutrient solution in less than 24 hours. When refilled with pure, PH balanced R/O water, the PH got back in line. The ppm went down, which is good, but not a huge drop.

This leads to my first concern. There will be no leaving, even for a day, with the res sizes I'm working with. The girls are pigging out to the point I need to top their trough at least once, if not twice, a day. A large central res would easily fix this issue, but for this run, I'm sticking with what I have.

Roots are still growing with a vengeance and both plants have stacked another node...or the beginnings of one anyway. There is no evident stress from the elevated PH or PPM, although I'm sure a sensitive strain, i.e. Blueberry/Strawberry Cough would be punishing me right now.

So no real problems or issued, just need to keep an eye on res levels a couple times a day.

Note

Posted wrong ratio for Magic Green...its 100:1, not 10:1...minor difference you see.

Several people have asked me by PM what I'm doing about topping the res with nute solution. I'm not using any nutrients when I top the buckets off, just pure, PH balanced, R/O water. I realize that over the course of the week it will weaken the solution, but it also gives me a pretty good idea of how much nutrition the plant is pulling up a week. If I start getting huge ppm drops, I'll revisit the plan, but for now, that's how I'm handling it.

That's about it for today.

Y'all have a great day.

How do you PH balance pure RO?

My RO is 3ppm.....and a single drop of PH up or down makes the reading go way off the scale. I can't PH my RO water unless I add some hygrozyme or weak nutes to it first.

What's your method?

How do you PH balance pure RO?

My RO is 3ppm.....and a single drop of PH up or down makes the reading go way off the scale. I can't PH my RO water unless I add some hygrozyme or weak nutes to it first.

What's your method?

I have never had that problem, but I mix 25 gallons of R/O at a time, so I use about 1/4 tsp to it to get to 5.5...which is what I mean by PH balanced in this case. Pure indicates no nutes/additives...just water.

My R/O is around 5ppm +/- 2ppm depending on the condition of my filter, so I may need to use fractionally more than you at any given time to get the PH level I need.

Try mixing your water in larger batches...it makes it a hell of alot easier.

I have never had that problem, but I mix 25 gallons of R/O at a time, so I use about 1/4 tsp to it to get to 5.5...which is what I mean by PH balanced in this case. Pure indicates no nutes/additives...just water.

My R/O is around 5ppm +/- 2ppm depending on the condition of my filter, so I may need to use fractionally more than you at any given time to get the PH level I need.

Try mixing your water in larger batches...it makes it a hell of alot easier.

Interesting.....I've never mixed up more than 5 gallons. Oh well, the important thing is to get it balanced.

If I add a tsp of Big Bloom or 8 mil of hygrozyme there are enough ions in the water to give me a stable PH.

I wonder if it could be my meter? I use a Nutradip trimeter.

Unless you see stress on your plants, I'd say you just use a different method to arrive at the same result.

I have a Nutra-Drip myself...not in use for this grow since I'm growing in seperate, non-joined buckets...and have never had any problems with it giving me the straight report.

Yo Southernweed,
Just wanted to drop you a note and tell you how much I have enjoyed your journals. I learned a ton from your soil grow and will probably make some of your teas in the future. This one is very intriguing as well. I have my very first indoor grow going and the info here has been invaluable to say the least. Thanks to you guys for your wisdom and the generous sharing of it. Feel free to drop by and check out our grow......have a good'un.

Yo Southernweed,
Just wanted to drop you a note and tell you how much I have enjoyed your journals. I learned a ton from your soil grow and will probably make some of your teas in the future. This one is very intriguing as well. I have my very first indoor grow going and the info here has been invaluable to say the least. Thanks to you guys for your wisdom and the generous sharing of it. Feel free to drop by and check out our grow......have a good'un.

Glad you got some useful information from it. I'll certainly be going back to the teas down the road. I've worked on some things that I believe will take it further the next go round...but we'll be tomato testing it first.

Incredible growth...stupendous water/nute uptake...just a couple beautiful little plants right now.

Added just short of 3/4 gallon of water to both buckets and it brought about a rather large PPM drop, guess they were hungry. PH had risen from 5.4 to 5.9 overnight, but came right back in line with the addition of PH'd water to the buckets.

I've gotten in the habit of misting the plants for a couple mornings in a row after the application of Magic Green, and coincidentally or not, they seem to grow a bit better, so I'm going to start misting them every single morning until they show sex.

Speaking of showing sex/budding, I'm doing something a little different this time. I'm leaving them under the MH until a good bud set has taken place, then I'll switch to the HPS...anyone who has ever done this, sound off...I'm trying to control height in the stretch period.

A couple of pics...

Legs

100_2175.jpg

She's so stacked up and bushy. The growth is so tight and dense that internodal inspection is nearly impossible without potentially damaging the plant.

Runt

100_2176.jpg

May have to come up with a new name for her. She's doing all she can to catch up with Legs, and will do it if she sustains her speed of growth for another couple of days. As with Legs, internodal inspection is next to impossible without causing damage.

So far so good. Growth is exceptional, and for their size, they have some of the fattest leaves I have ever seen. Roots continue to grow at a rate I'm unaccustomed to seeing in any of my previous hydro efforts, and there simply can be nothing wrong with that.

That'll do it for today.

Y'all have a great day.

They look exceptionally healthy.

Thanks Brother. I'm very pleased so far, and I'm already anticipating a full 4 week veg cycle on the next grow. Included with my nutrient purchase were some additional feed charts with schedules all the way up to a 12 week veg...that would leave you with some epic plants...something to keep in mind.

Today's the first day that I've seen them slow down any at all. Each bucket needed less than a half gallon of water.

The reduced water/nute uptake in no way translated into a growth slowdown, as they just continue to add new vegetation at a nice clip.

Hopefully, they'll start to add a little vertical in the next few days. Planting the seedlings high in the cups has led to an unforeseen height robber. As the roots grew in and around the hydroton, it began to pull the plants down in the cups...never really thought about that happening.

Not alot else to say, just setting around waiting on the stretch to start.

Y'all have a great day.

hmmm.. id start thinking about where to put that tatoo lolz.. or maybe test out a temporary washable one :rofl::rofl:

hmmm.. id start thinking about where to put that tatoo lolz.. or maybe test out a temporary washable one :rofl::rofl:

That's funny Brother.

Just a little late day progress report. It would appear that the stretch is begining. Both plants have lunged up over 1.5" today. I can now see into the nodes of Legs, and the Runt is opening up some as well.

So far it's been a day of conspicuous consumption for them as well. Water levels are down a good bit already...somewhere over 1/2 gallon each. PH is getting a little wobbly as well. May have to start thinking about a mid week nute change as we get a little deeper into the grow.

That's where we're at...

....Hopefully, they'll start to add a little vertical in the next few days. Planting the seedlings high in the cups has led to an unforeseen height robber. As the roots grew in and around the hydroton, it began to pull the plants down in the cups...never really thought about that happening.

Not alot else to say, just setting around waiting on the stretch to start.

Y'all have a great day.

When you mean height robber, do you mean that you can see the stalk is growing downword? Cause I've had that happen to me many times. Somehow the stalk grows and bust out of my net pots. W/ my Bubba it happens often. Is this what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom