EmElla's First Grow, CFL, Bagseed, Fox Farms

Hey hey! Okay so it's been a little while since I posted, but I've got good news. All of the plants are doing well. Out of the 8 seeds that I planted I have 7 plants, and of those seven, 5 are thriving. I took some pictures about a week ago and those will be posted below.

So what's been happening:

The plants were doing pretty well after their transplant and then I was worried because they weren't growing as fast as I thought they should. When I went down to the grow room to water them a few days ago I noticed two tiny tiny tiny black bugs on the cement floor. So after seeing that I decided to go and clean the grow room really well. I had spilled a bit of dirt and had some boxes and non-harmful trash sitting around so I made sure to sweep up any dirt and get rid of the trash. That was two days ago.

I also realized that my timer was off and that the fan had been running all the time. The timer was set to a 17/7 schedule, and the fan was running 24/7, I think this was why the water I was giving them was drying up so fast. So I fixed those things and I also decided that I wasn't giving them enough water, due to the fact that every day the soil was dry without really any moisture.

I discovered all of this the night that I cleaned, so after fixing everything I made sure to give the plants a thorough soaking. That night I also potted the last seedling into a 3-gall bucket. Number 7 was looking pretty wilty and sick because of the styro cup and the nasty mg perlite soil, but now she's in healthier soil with some rocks in the bottom for drainage.

I went downstairs a few minutes ago to water the girls and check on them and they are all doing magnificently. A few days ago they were all doing okay but three were looking a little wilty and pathetic. Today they have grown hugely. The extra water and better schedule has really improved their growth. The previously second-biggest, Number 1 (and I totally want to call this one Commander Riker, but I refuse to jinx her with a boy's name) is now the biggest and getting it's third set of leaves. All of the plants in the .75 gal buckets are doing well, and I think number 7 in the 3-gall bucket, even though it's still a bit wilty from the hot soil, is bigger. I'm going to post current pictures of them sometime in the next couple of days.

Also, when do you guys think I should start in with the 1/4 strength nutes? The plants are still kind of small, but they will hit the three week mark on Wednesday.

Here are some pics I took on like day 12 or so, the plants look a lot different now, than they did in these pics, but here is where they were.

02MJ_052010_08.jpg

02MJ_052010_05.jpg

02MJ_052010_11.jpg

02MJ_052010_07.jpg

02MJ_052010_06.jpg

02MJ_052010_04.jpg

02MJ_052010_03.jpg

02MJ_052010_10.jpg

Number 7 before she got crappy looking and before her re-planting.

Thanks! :grinjoint: ;)

Great to hear things are going well! Good job getting your room cleaned up and it sounds like the plants are cruising right along. At this point in the grow (almost 3 weeks?) I think you'd be safe adding 1/4 strength nutes. They'll let you know within a day or two how they like it. Looking forward to the latest pics!

lol #1 commander Riker. My wife is a trekkie n im a star wars nerd. Your grow is looking good. Im rooting 4 #7.

At this point in the grow (almost 3 weeks?) I think you'd be safe adding 1/4 strength nutes. They'll let you know within a day or two how they like it.

Coolness, I'm going to give them 1/4 strength nutes on their three week birthday.

lol #1 commander Riker. My wife is a trekkie n im a star wars nerd. Your grow is looking good. Im rooting 4 #7.

Heh heh, I've only recently started watching TNG so everytime I think about Number 1 I just here Patrick Stewart's voice in my head.

Thanks for the support guys! :ciao: :bong:

First off a belated :welcome: to you EmElla. It looks like the advice your getting has been great. Your doing good already & are top of the game with using quarter strength nutes. People who are new to growing tend to over due it, not you. So to this you definitely deserve a +rep definitely a :goodjob:

:ganjamon:

Okay, so I went and checked on the ladies this morning and all of them are doing okay except for numbers 7 and 8. Number 7 has gotten better since yesterday, but she still looks crappy. Number 8 is what worries me though. Her leaves were kind of droopy/weirdly spotted looking a few days ago, but they didn't change after I gave the plants their soaking of water and now I think she's gotten worse. I'm not sure if it's nute burn or too much water or maybe it's that the fan has been blowing on her, but I hope she's okay.

I'm posting pics that I took last night, but Number 8 has gotten a bit worse since then. I made sure to give her a bit of water, not too much in case I'm over watering, and I moved her a little farther away from the fan. If you guys know what's up with her please don't hesitate to let me know.

I also think that the really healthy plants have actually gotten bigger since I took these pics yesterday. The green on the ladies is astoundingly pretty. I've decided to start 1/4 nutes on their three week birthday, except maybe for 7 and 8 unless they get better before then.

Anyway, here are the pics:

04DSC_0041.jpg

04DSC_0037.jpg

04DSC_0030.jpg

04DSC_0042.jpg

04DSC_0038.jpg

04DSC_0033.jpg

04DSC_0032.jpg

04DSC_0031.jpg

04DSC_0035.jpg

04DSC_0039.jpg

Here you can kinda see Number 8's wonky leaves. She's gotten a bit worse than this though and her leaves are darker and kind of spotty, if you look in the pic above of number 7, you can kinda see how her leaves have spots on the edge, that's what number 8 looks like but more so.

Thanks!! ;) :roorrip: :grinjoint:

First off a belated :welcome: to you EmElla. It looks like the advice your getting has been great. Your doing good already & are top of the game with using quarter strength nutes. People who are new to growing tend to over due it, not you. So to this you definitely deserve a +rep definitely a :goodjob:

Thanks!! I'm really enjoying watching the girls grow and I'm a perfectionist to the core so I really want them to succeed. :D

Thanks for the support and reassurance! :roorrip: :grinjoint:

Still looking goot. Are u a okie? just wondering:grinjoint:

lol. while readin your thread u said GAH. and my besties are from OK so I was just wondering cuz. " Midwest, USA" . I'm a two grow rookie.

Hey Em, you've got some good looking plants there! - 7 & 8 not so much, but they might surprise you. Sometimes the stragglers catch up and surpass the others, sometimes they're just a weak plant and crap out. Assuming they're all getting the same light, water, etc. you may just be seeing differences in one plant versus another.

I still think you'll be best off flowering just one or two plants - of course you'd rather not cull any until you know their sex. I'd keep doing what you're doing, stay the course and see how it turns out. When are you planning to switch the lights to 12/12?

By the way, "overwatering" means watering too frequently and not allowing the root zone to dry out a bit. For regular waterings you'll want to get about 25% runoff. When you flush (about every third watering) you'll use 3 or 4 times the amount of water you'd use normally. The goal is to let things dry out between waterings.

I think your larger buckets could go 5 to 7 days or more between waterings. The smaller ones would be more like 2 to 3 days? Hard to say without knowing your temps and humidity...

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if your healthy plants had roots extending 8 -12 inches into the soil. It may seem super dry on top but there will be plenty of moisture at root depth. A cheap and easy way to test moisture: get some 12" bamboo skewers and stick one down into the soil at your best guess of root depth - pull it out and see how it feels. If there are bits of soil on it and it feels damp don't water. If it comes out clean and feels dry it's time to water. Just like testing cake or cornbread with a toothpick. I use a moisture meter (HoldAll brand from HD) and it works fine but once you get the hang of it the bamboo skewer is even better.

Grow on bro!

I still think you'll be best off flowering just one or two plants - of course you'd rather not cull any until you know their sex. I'd keep doing what you're doing, stay the course and see how it turns out. When are you planning to switch the lights to 12/12?

I know, I know, but I really want to get at least two-three females. I still have another light to add and when they get bigger I might change my mind, but as of right now I'm just kinda goin' with the flow.

As for switching the lights I'm not sure, probably just whenever I think the plants are big enough. I still have probably a month or so to go but of course I'm guessing. I know that the rule of thumb is generally that they double in size during flowering. What I'm thinking I might do is get them to where they're big and bushy at 18 - 24 inches and then make some clones before flowering.

I also want to work in some Low Strength Training, but that won't happen for at least another couple of weeks. I'm just kinda lettin' the plants tell me what to do. lol ;)

For regular waterings you'll want to get about 25% runoff. When you flush (about every third watering) you'll use 3 or 4 times the amount of water you'd use normally.

Okay, Good to know. :D I had read something similar to that somewhere but I didn't realize I would need to flush the plants every third time, I just thought that was if there were nute problems and before flowering and at the end of flowering.

I think your larger buckets could go 5 to 7 days or more between waterings. The smaller ones would be more like 2 to 3 days? Hard to say without knowing your temps and humidity...
Temp is usually between 72 and 76, sometimes venturing lower at night or when we have the a/c on. The humidity has been staying strong between 57-61%.

A cheap and easy way to test moisture: get some 12" bamboo skewers and stick one down into the soil at your best guess of root depth - pull it out and see how it feels.

This is an awesome tip! I'm not sure where to get a bamboo skewer though, can you find them at Home Depot? I will check the next time I go, but this is a great idea.

Thanks so much for the advice and tips! :D Mad props to you. :grinjoint:

I

This is an awesome tip! I'm not sure where to get a bamboo skewer though, can you find them at Home Depot? I will check the next time I go, but this is a great idea.

Thanks so much for the advice and tips! :D Mad props to you. :grinjoint:

Can get them at any grocery store or Walmart. Shishkabobs.

:smokin:

hey bud, just wanted to chime in and say #8 looks fine, just too much watering imo. like someone said earlier, make sure you're giving the roots enough time to dry out before watering again. as i'm sure you've heard, its amazing what these ladies can endure.

:goodluck:

Temp is usually between 72 and 76, sometimes venturing lower at night or when we have the a/c on. The humidity has been staying strong between 57-61%.

Great info. Your temps and humidity are definitely in the zone - looking good. That said, temps are on the low side and humidity on the high side so your containers will stay moist for a long time. Just another data point for you to factor in ;)

Back
Top Bottom