DSCF7025.JPG

DSCF7026.JPG

DSCF7027.JPG

TrainWreck

DSCF7028.JPG

DSCF7029.JPG

DSCF7030.JPG

DSCF7031.JPG

The tent of death looks so beautiful :laugh: love the name. Even to the end your plants are so happy :bravo:
Those pistils are so dark red/orange! Stunning, really!

Thank you both of you! Yes, I think a tent of death is a good thing and I am convinced that this 36 hours at the end really makes a significant difference. I hope that when my time comes, someone allows me to go to a dark and quiet place for a while to contemplate my end. It seems peaceful somehow.
I am very pleased how they are turning out. These lights have surprised me. The deep coloration and the taste and smell are exquisite so far on all of the plants, but of course that is due to the TLO style of growing. It is turning out to be a good run after all. I can't wait to find out the weight on both of these plants, but especially that chunky IceBreaker!

The first to emerge from the tent of upcoming smiles was Ice Breaker. She has now been washed and rinsed and is hanging to dry. I am noticing a trend because she also weighed in at around 230g and working the numbers, about 1,8 oz dry. Two or three of the buds are worth bragging about but the rest are just mediocre. The most impressive thing here is the quality of the popcorn buds all the way down to the base of the plant. That silly red/blue/green light actually made it down there and every one of those buds is going to be smokeable. This plant had been opened up quite effectively with its training and the center was allowed to get a lot more light than Wappa sitting right next to her. Its not so much the penetration power that is impressive here, but the effectiveness of the light at distances more than I would have imagined.
Tomorrow morning I will harvest Trainwreck and see if her weight is right here in line with the rest of them.

Two thoughts this morning as I sit here pondering life...
First, I have forgotten to credit High Brix and the cationic drench and soil preparation tea for some of these trichomes. It would have been instructive to have had a double blind test to see if a non-treated plant would have been any different, so at this point we have to assume that Doc's formulation has at least some of the credit for this awesome load of trichomes that are on all of these plants so far.

Second, the 3 curing methods. The standard burp down process is going the best so far and little nugs that I have been sneaking out of the jars are getting mellower and mellower, and I have been quite pleased with their effect. More product is going into the curing process soon, so some of these Wappa buds are actually going to survive the early curing and sampling.

Cob fermenting is still taking place, it took the bath on the 19th and hit the fermenting stage on the 20th. Wednesday or Thursday I will open it up and take a gander as it dries out for the final reseal and curing.

I am not real impressed with the low and slow method. I thought I had it figured out and was seeing very slow drying in the fridge, but on my last check of the actual RH of the bud, by putting it in a jar, put a scare into me. First check of the RH appeared to be as low as 59. Egads, I was sure that I had just ruined an ounce. I put it in a jar and after a good 24 hours the little remaining core moisture started coming back out and the RH rose to 66. All is not lost after all. I will be re-reading the low and slow thread to figure out what I did wrong or if my fridge is at fault, but I am going to call that experiment a failure at this point.

Luckily, I have yet another test bud, partially cured, to console me.
DSCF7032.JPG

Hi again :ciao: I can’t help you on the low and slow method, sadly I can’t affird to stink up the fridge but one day I’ll try it.
I actually have a run of Docs soil going right now and though my intentions are not for a full bore comparison, I do have a cut from one plant in Docs kit and the mother is flowering in a different soil.

The cationic drenches have been given to the cutting in docs soil and I am nearing harvest in a few weeks.

The mother, in case anyone wonders, was in Fox Farms Ocean Forest and I used a product called Osmocote Plus for the rest of her nutrient needs. Osmocote Plus are these little balls that are coated with a dissolvable layer. The balls just get scratched in to the top 1-3 inches of soil once the FFOF loses its magic. The beauty is that with a properly buffered soil, you can just water (no ph’ing) your way to a fantastic harvest.

The mother plant, unlike its cutting in Docs soil, never experienced mid-bloom fade. That’s huge for me because my next evolution in growing is me avoiding those problems mid bloom. Osmocote took care of it and I never did anything but water it every three days and pluck spent leaves...

Cheers Em

The report from the trimming crew is in! As predicted earlier in the journal, TrainWreck has ended up being the heavyweight of the group. She ended up producing 311.4 grams, which will turn out to be approximately 2.47oz dry. The low down popcorn buds on this one were nothing to write home about, again lack of penetration evident. The consistent 2oz or so output confirms that the lights have acted about the same as a 400w HID which is acceptable, but certainly not optimal.
I am sure now that I am seeing an inefficiency in these lights that does not occur with strong LED such as those our various sponsors produce. My 300+ watts out of the wall on each of these lights did not equate to double the HID light, it was at least 20% less than that by the looks of this season's harvest. Live and learn and buyer beware...
If you go cheap you grow cheap! - Zandor

@fanleaf, you are going to love this idea. I was inspired by your picture of all the switches the other day. I am going to wire in a shorting switch to 2 of my lights in each string. The middle lights will be left as the default light that will remain on the load so as to keep the constant current supply happy. Each bank will also be able to be switched off and on at the ac source. I am going to follow your previous idea of adding not two, but 3 blue COBs right down the middle, also wired so I can either have them on or not and able to short out the right and left lights as needed.
Using this system, from the front control panel I will be able to choose any single center light to be on at any one time, at any intensity I desire. Then I will be able to add any of the outside lights with the flip of a switch.
8 switches, 3 more COBs, and the light of my dreams will result. Thank you for the idea!
:idea:

@fanleaf, you are going to love this idea. I was inspired by your picture of all the switches the other day. I am going to wire in a shorting switch to 2 of my lights in each string. The middle lights will be left as the default light that will remain on the load so as to keep the constant current supply happy. Each bank will also be able to be switched off and on at the ac source. I am going to follow your previous idea of adding not two, but 3 blue COBs right down the middle, also wired so I can either have them on or not and able to short out the right and left lights as needed.
Using this system, from the front control panel I will be able to choose any single center light to be on at any one time, at any intensity I desire. Then I will be able to add any of the outside lights with the flip of a switch.
8 switches, 3 more COBs, and the light of my dreams will result. Thank you for the idea!
:idea:
Oh my. You just confirmed it.....you are as crazy as I am :rofl:
I love it! That's my style of light right there. Full user control of everything!

It was one of the questions on the Extra class ham radio test, "Are you insane?" I answered yes.
And that is a correct answer for most any ham. I've often thought about taking the extra exam but honestly, I'm happy with the privileges for general. It would be more of a prestige thing for me I guess. I took the Technician and general in 1 shot when I started. Maybe I should just go the extra too. While CW isn't required really anymore I do like it so maybe the extra bandwidth would be nice for me.

And that is a correct answer for most any ham. I've often thought about taking the extra exam but honestly, I'm happy with the privileges for general. It would be more of a prestige thing for me I guess. I took the Technician and general in 1 shot when I started. Maybe I should just go the extra too. While CW isn't required really anymore I do like it so maybe the extra bandwidth would be nice for me.
20m phone is where it really pays off, not being a proficient cw operator. I tried it for a while but got taken away with the digital modes, getting pictures from the space station and cool stuff like that. That little extra on 20m, between 14.150 and 14.225 is an amazing place to chat though, and DX likes to hang out down there away from the LIDS in the General portion of the band. I like the prestige thing too and the double takes that I get when they realize that the girl is a radio and antenna expert too. Then comes the question: you got it when you were HOW old?? That slays them.

20m phone is where it really pays off, not being a proficient cw operator. I tried it for a while but got taken away with the digital modes, getting pictures from the space station and cool stuff like that. That little extra on 20m, between 14.150 and 14.225 is an amazing place to chat though, and DX likes to hang out down there away from the LIDS in the General portion of the band. I like the prestige thing too and the double takes that I get when they realize that the girl is a radio and antenna expert too. Then comes the question: you got it when you were HOW old?? That slays them.
I've been thinking more about this. Another thing is that I'm the only one in my county who holds the title of RACES officer or higher that isn't an Extra Class. It may be time to freshen up and just getter done. I cannot remember but I think with recent changes to things I may get issued a new call sign if I do it. That, I dont like. After years of rattling off my call, it will be hard to change it up.

I've been thinking more about this. Another thing is that I'm the only one in my county who holds the title of RACES officer or higher that isn't an Extra Class. It may be time to freshen up and just getter done. I cannot remember but I think with recent changes to things I may get issued a new call sign if I do it. That, I dont like. After years of rattling off my call, it will be hard to change it up.
As long as you don't have one of the old WN novice calls, you can upgrade to extra without needing a new callsign.

Super Cheese went to harvest this evening! She is a beautiful purplish grey color and is going to cure out to be some very interesting looking pot. She had gotten so heavy in the last few days that she could no longer stand upright. I had propped her up as best I could, and today she showed me the obligatory amber trichomes at the top. She is the one plant so far that didn't finish when she was expected to, but then again she was the one that seemed slow to go into flower too. All seems to be fine now, and patience won out.
Once again, output is consistent with the rest of the plants coming out of this light. This plant also opened up very well quite early, gave lots of light to the lower central buds, and they were tight and smokable. Harvesting just the popcorn buds netted 39g of good tight frosty buds. Total, she weighed in at 258g. Doing the math, I expect 2.04 oz dry.
Two of the buds were on their way to being spectacular, but without the proper light they stopped at only being super nice. The one is a foot and a half long cola that if it had been under a 1000w light it would have been 2 liter sized.... but I will settle with this.

DSCF7034.JPG

DSCF7033.JPG

Back
Top Bottom