Emmie's Recycled Organic Soil, Acapulco Gold, Retro Grow, 2016

Here is AG at day 48. She is really starting to fill in nicely. Even the popcorn stuff at the bottom is going to produce some weight, there is so much of it. This girl just wants to pump out weight. I expect massive 8-10" kolas on both plants and over 3 oz on the biggest one... incidentally, the one in the no-till container. (thanks SweetSue!)

ag_filling_in.JPG

AG is starting to show signs of maturity now and on this Sunday she will enter the two week window at the end when we transition her to plain water. Tonight she will get the regular natural organic nutes that I have been giving her every time and then on Sunday we will give her a last flowering AACT, and after that, water only till the end. Today is day 54 of 70.

I found extremely cool gold trichomes starting to form on her too, surely going to be part of her distinctive color signature. The closeup that I am about to show you is under a blue/white hortilux 600w MH bulb... no yellow in the room.

coolAGgoldtrichomes.JPG

Here are some more shots showing that the pistils are just now starting to change colors

ag_4_.JPG

ag_3_.JPG

ag10.JPG

She looks excellent Emmie, can't wait till mine start building mass. Mine is approaching three weeks since flip one week since flowers. A classic strain that I will be looking forward to greatly, keep up the nice work she's a beauty.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

She looks excellent Emmie, can't wait till mine start building mass. Mine is approaching three weeks since flip one week since flowers. A classic strain that I will be looking forward to greatly, keep up the nice work she's a beauty.

Thanks! I need to look in on yours and see how she is doing!

Hi Emilya, are you using the gas lantern routine on this grow?

I used it for a while in veg during this grow, but certainly not in flower. GLR is a cool trick when you need to slow down the veg tent or just want to save on energy costs in there.

the purpose of glr is to wake them up in the middle of their night, to confuse them, and make them think it is still daytime. This makes them think that only 13 hours of light is actually much more. To keep a plant in flower, it is the length of the night that is critical, and we must keep the length of nighttime less than 14 hours or so... any more night than that and they will very likely go back into veg and become very confused.

Im not sure how Ive missed you here until just recently. Your grows are amazing. I have been pouring over all the bits and pieces you have in your magic link, and it looks like I have a week or 2 of reading material to catch up on. :thumb:

Im not sure how Ive missed you here until just recently. Your grows are amazing. I have been pouring over all the bits and pieces you have in your magic link, and it looks like I have a week or 2 of reading material to catch up on. :thumb:

Thanks mouser! much appreciated!

Here is an update on the girls, day 62 of 70... still not seeing a lot of trichomes... they look nice, but I suspect this may go long.

ag623.JPG

ag622.JPG

ag62.JPG

(flower, day 66 of 70)

Good morning friends, today I get to work from home, and you know what that means... update time! Our gold is starting to finish out now, and I am pleased to report that I was wrong about the trichomes... they are there. You just have to look a little deeper into the buds in this sativa. The trichomes are short on this one, almost bubbles on the calyxes and sun leaves, but they are definitely there, and beginning to build more each day. I am moving from an initial disappointment to a curious expectation of some great things happening in the next week or two.
more_ag_finishing.JPG
ag_finishing.JPG

Look at the size of these buds! These kolas are going to be about the size of a coke can soon, maybe just a little bit longer in some cases.

ag_trichome_structure_closup.JPG
see! They are there!

I hope your garden is going as well as mine this round. So far I have 8z in the drying process and I figure about 9 more soon. It has been a good run.

Garden blessings,
Emmie

(flower, day 70 of 70 - HARVEST WINDOW OPEN)

They still don't look anywhere close to ready to me. I have spotted one or two amber trichomes, but not enough to get excited about. Also, one plant seems to be not producing trichomes as profusely as her sister. I am not sure what this is indicating, but I will be looking for clues. The only thing that can be different is that one of them was in a no-till and the other wasn't, and one had a better start in veg than the other. One also sits under a newer HPS light when it comes on for 4 hours every night, and the other sits under the MH full time. I will compile these clues and get back to you what I find, and I have one experiment to try here at the end to see if I can get to the bottom of this too. Look closely at the plant pics... the bigger looking buds have less trichomes than the other plant, and the smaller buds are already starting to foxtail a bit. I suspect that the one with more trichomes is going to get done sooner than her sister, let's see what happens.

Anyway... I have a 10 day harvest window drawn on the calendar... I suspected these were not going to be done at a mere 70 days.

DSCF6012.JPG

agplant2.JPG

agplant1.JPG

(flower, day 77 of 70)

Still no amber at the top, still white pistils... still not ready. Added a new HPS light to the array about 3 days ago, and it was so bright I bleached out the top of one of my buds, on one side.... oops... moved her out of directly under that light the next night.

All the buds are starting to do that foxtail thing now...getting huge. I expect to see amber any day... checking twice a day.

(day 80)

Still no joy, but I am seeing a few traces of amber here and there, mostly low. Still seeing white pistils and plants still in flower, even though with a water only diet they are starting to fade. I am blaming my weak light for this slowdown at the end, but now with good solid light above them, they seem to be getting things done. I am seeing a lot more trichomes now, and the buds have become massive, each the size of a coke can and rock hard.

Here is a picture right at lights out, with the trigger light still going, and with a flash on the camera. Sorry about those conditions, but it beats a nasty yellow HPS shot. As you can see, we are getting a strong fade now, and every few days I have been going in to pull dead leaves out of the buds so that rot doesn't set in during this long grow.

ag_still_working.JPG

ag_still_not_ready.JPG

She is looking good! The amber trichs are picking up, you think she'll be ready at 12 weeks or are you going longer?
I do the same thing and start pick out the dead leaves in the bud. I had it happen before where a leaf rotted, so now i make sure. Sometimes, I have to get the tweezers in there and pull out the dead stuff.
I am going till she shows me she is done... it might take 14 weeks at this rate, but again I blame the worn out light. She was supposed to be ready at 10 weeks, and I bet I could have pulled her then, I just wouldnt have been happy with her. When you put this much of a time investment into a plant, you really want it to be spectacular.

Excellent grow! I'm also going organic and have super soil cooked and ready when transplanting. Setting up my ACT and Vermicompost soon. This current grow is to dial in my soil for when next years season kicks off. But for this "experimental grow" I'm hoping for two sets of test. A standard veg and a super long veg.
That soil just keeps getting better and better as you add your plant debris back into it. I will soon be sending 3 males to the chopper and into that soil bin. You are going to love organic!

Back
Top Bottom