First Grow Indica Under CFLs 2012

growrook

My just enter veg and its time to transplant I think, I would like to know if i should transplant. i was think 1 gallon pots. hopefully that big enough for a while
25113.JPG
25011.JPG

hi mate, seen your journal thought id come over and have a look, they need transplanting soon cuz their gona b root bound and will stunt growth.

you would be better off going strait to the pots your going to flower them off in, im also using cfls for the first time so check my journal and theirs loads of info on their as well, theirs a few of us cfl growers on here so you have come to the right place, any questions just ask

could you fill us in on your grow, such as what cfls are you using, wattage etc im using 30watt 6500kelvin cfls for veg cycle they give off the bright blueish light as these are for veg, ive got a few of them in my veg room, for flower im using 30watt 2700kelvin for flower and my flower lights will be above the plants and hanging around the plants as cfls lose the light after just a few inches, so are you using the bigger cfls or the same.

i have found that you get more light using more smaller wattage cfls than 1 bigger cfl, you get more lumin to watt ratio with the 23 watt cfls

let us know what your using and welcome to the site

25412.JPG
25311.JPG
25212.JPG
25510.JPG
Heres some pics. of what my grow area. I intended to start indoors and move them outside. Im off on the timing i under estimated how fast they grow. so I wasn t really trying to spend alot and with some searching i was able to find some good ideas. Im using 23 watt 6500k cfls total of 16. just started feeding with MG at 1/4 strenght every 3rd watering. And thanks donpaul.p for taking the the time to write.

Just wondering where to get all fox fram products im from Canada and never seen them and been looking in every store i go to, is it a product u have to order on line.

This site rocks wish i would of started my journal when i gremanated my seeds. kinda forgot my plants birthday hope there not mad if they are there not gonna live to see there next anyways lol. I think i started them in the middle of march. pictures and dates for now on.

Hey bro whats up? I love your grow area, did you make the reflectors and do all the wiring? Your definitely on the right track and have plenty of light in there. How may plants do you got under there? looks like a ton! You won't have room to flower all of them unless you flower when they aren't very tall and do some sort of lollipop. Which is essentially a stick with a one huge bud on it. You can see what that looks like in the 2L journals around here. Pretty good yield and of course you will lose some to being males. You never did say what strain and if they were feminized?

Everything looks good except for the miracle grow nutrients. I would strongly advise against using them. Fox Farms soil is in the US and I'm not sure if it would be available to you in Canada. A very popular thing on this site is using only perlite/vermiculite and placing them into 2L bottles (usually done with clones). I can't really advise you on what soil would be good since you are out of the country. Popular nutrients are Blue Planet Nutrients and Fox Farms, both work good on soil. There are several others that are good that are used around here but I haven't looked into them and several of them are for hydro.

I'm sorry I couldn't be a ton of help as to products because I don't know what is available in Canada. But if you have any general growing questions I can try and help out or point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Hey bro whats up? I love your grow area, did you make the reflectors and do all the wiring? Your definitely on the right track and have plenty of light in there. How may plants do you got under there? looks like a ton! You won't have room to flower all of them unless you flower when they aren't very tall and do some sort of lollipop. Which is essentially a stick with a one huge bud on it. You can see what that looks like in the 2L journals around here. Pretty good yield and of course you will lose some to being males. You never did say what strain and if they were feminized?

Everything looks good except for the miracle grow nutrients. I would strongly advise against using them. Fox Farms soil is in the US and I'm not sure if it would be available to you in Canada. A very popular thing on this site is using only perlite/vermiculite and placing them into 2L bottles (usually done with clones). I can't really advise you on what soil would be good since you are out of the country. Popular nutrients are Blue Planet Nutrients and Fox Farms, both work good on soil. There are several others that are good that are used around here but I haven't looked into them and several of them are for hydro.

I'm sorry I couldn't be a ton of help as to products because I don't know what is available in Canada. But if you have any general growing questions I can try and help out or point you in the right direction. Good luck!
Thanks teSmp for the info. The reflectors i did make with 4 ft furnace duct, got the idea when i seen people using turkey pans, the wiring i took a part an old ceiling and a floor lamp that had 5 light sockets each. and bought a few of the V sockets. I kinda went over board when i germinated, reason why the first 20 seeds didnt take for me [think they had mold] so try some more seed from a diffrent bottle and they all started cracking like crazy. so just keep planting. the strain i got from my own breeding from a clone i got from my cousin and friend of my dads who brought over a potted plant that turned out to be the male, the clone from my cousin is from a mother plant he has had for years he forgot the name but it has purple in its name and he got the seeds from bc bud depot. and the male my dad friend got as a seed and was told it was a strain of kush not sure. so i hope im working with some good stuff. My plan was to start indoors then move out but im way ahead of the weather here. so Im kinda stuck what to do next im thinking about sexing and sending out clones for outside. how long do think that would take to do. the ideal time for me to grow outside is near the end of may.

Oh gotcha about all of them! Hmmm... So your not going to attempt to flower any of these indoors? You could always weed out the sick looking ones transplant the nice ones and then veg a few more weeks and kick them into flower. They're really going to start growing pretty soon and will need to be transplanted into something larger. I usually agree on going straight into the pot they will be flowered in but since you have so many I don't know how that would be possible in your space. Again unless you went for 2L bottles.

You should veg then for roughly a month and then take clones so your clones are mature. You will know the sex within a few weeks of flowering. So you have two options. Take clones and number them according to the plant you took them from or flower them and take clones from the flowering plants. Kind of your choice. All in all a month total veg and two weeks to know sex. How old are they?

Time to transplant the babies!!!!!!!!!!! got a good organic soil good mix with perlite. thanks to teSmp for the info on that or i would of just struck to plan old soil, buy the i just heard of a spot were someone has a pile of soil with warms in it [they call it worm soil] ive heard alot about worms and soil. this soil sounds good but it is outside. should i stay away from it considering it could have bug or anything else bad, it is free and i know some people use it around there house gardens.

Oh gotcha about all of them! Hmmm... So your not going to attempt to flower any of these indoors? You could always weed out the sick looking ones transplant the nice ones and then veg a few more weeks and kick them into flower. They're really going to start growing pretty soon and will need to be transplanted into something larger. I usually agree on going straight into the pot they will be flowered in but since you have so many I don't know how that would be possible in your space. Again unless you went for 2L bottles.

You should veg then for roughly a month and then take clones so your clones are mature. You will know the sex within a few weeks of flowering. So you have two options. Take clones and number them according to the plant you took them from or flower them and take clones from the flowering plants. Kind of your choice. All in all a month total veg and two weeks to know sex. How old are they?
Hey teSmp there about 4 weeks old, some are 3. I wasnt gonna flower indoors but now that i stared im kinda getting hooked on the indoor growing, i like chilling downstairs, with plants and watching each step they take, outside it will be harder to do that. So ya i think i will keep the champs and get ride of the others I got some buddies I m sure will adopt a few. So about the 2L, is that what you did? kinda new to this site did you do a journal about the lollipops. as for cloning should i top fim or LST to get my bottom growth faster. Thats where i was thinking of taking my cuttings from. i was thinking if i top/fim i maybe could just clone the tops instead of the bottoms? Is it possible? Thanks again for the advice. How long have you been growing?

Gonna put up some pictures after the transplant might have to rethink my space. time to get down there and get to work the fun parts!!!!

If those two dials on the side are your temp/hum you might want to think about getting a thermometer hanging in-between your two reflectors because your gonna get a more accurate reading.

Also once your lights are higher up having a thermometer at the top of your plants and at the level of your grow medium is a good idea because the correct temps relate more to the temp where your roots are. so if the temp at the top of the plants is 85 but the grow medium is at 75 your doing ok.

don't know if your planning on taking them out side but for indoors the bigger pot the better. Remo from urban grower and most pros now are using garage cans. For my next grow I'm gonna be using recycle bin size pots

Im using 16 23 watt cfls equals out to 1600 watts the bulbs are all 6500k, since im using bigger pots 8in should i add more light? check out my pic of my grow area. let me know what u think. grateful for any advise good or bad

Hey teSmp there about 4 weeks old, some are 3. I wasnt gonna flower indoors but now that i stared im kinda getting hooked on the indoor growing, i like chilling downstairs, with plants and watching each step they take, outside it will be harder to do that. So ya i think i will keep the champs and get ride of the others I got some buddies I m sure will adopt a few. So about the 2L, is that what you did? kinda new to this site did you do a journal about the lollipops. as for cloning should i top fim or LST to get my bottom growth faster. Thats where i was thinking of taking my cuttings from. i was thinking if i top/fim i maybe could just clone the tops instead of the bottoms? Is it possible? Thanks again for the advice. How long have you been growing?

About your soil, since it is outdoor and what not you are correct about the bugs. It probably does have something. There is a way to sterilize soil, I believe using the oven, never done it so you would have to check. I agree about doing the indoor stuff, I love watching over them. I do wish I could find a place to do some outdoor though to!

I do have a 2L in my tent right now, you can see it in the link of my signature. However, it's only a few weeks into flower so you can't really see what the lollipop will look like say in another few weeks. For taking clones, when you cut to top or FIM it is just a tiny little piece you cut off so it wouldn't be any good for clones. You want to take them from the longer branches towards the bottom. By the time your going to clone you will have some decent branching going on towards the bottom. It's really up to you what you want to transplant them into and the growing style your going to use. If you clear up some space in your grow room you could put larger pots (3 gallons or more) and do training such as topping/FIM or Low Stress Training (LST). If you want to keep smaller pots your best bet would be some sort of lollipop probably in 2L's. I don't recall seeing people using seeds to do it but I don't see why you couldn't. You would probably start flowering them when they're about 8" high or so.

This is my personal 2nd harvest that I'm doing right now. I've helped 3 others with there grows though from start to finish and have been reading about doing this type of stuff since probably 2006 (which was also my first grow).

hi mate, seen your journal thought id come over and have a look, they need transplanting soon cuz their gona b root bound and will stunt growth.

you would be better off going strait to the pots your going to flower them off in, im also using cfls for the first time so check my journal and theirs loads of info on their as well, theirs a few of us cfl growers on here so you have come to the right place, any questions just ask

could you fill us in on your grow, such as what cfls are you using, wattage etc im using 30watt 6500kelvin cfls for veg cycle they give off the bright blueish light as these are for veg, ive got a few of them in my veg room, for flower im using 30watt 2700kelvin for flower and my flower lights will be above the plants and hanging around the plants as cfls lose the light after just a few inches, so are you using the bigger cfls or the same.

i have found that you get more light using more smaller wattage cfls than 1 bigger cfl, you get more lumin to watt ratio with the 23 watt cfls

let us know what your using and welcome to the site
Wow there is alot of info in your journal. i like how you planed it from the start, good job! not all the way done reading it, it is vary long, its nice to see all the help and opinions you got on your grow. I like the videos good idea. Its almost like reading a book, I like!!! good job man cant wait to get to the end of your book.

Im using 16 23 watt cfls equals out to 1600 watts the bulbs are all 6500k, since im using bigger pots 8in should i add more light? check out my pic of my grow area. let me know what u think. grateful for any advise good or bad

One quick correction... 16 23w CFL's is 368 watts. The 23w is the actual watts and the 100w is the incandescent equivalent (which doesn't mean anything when growing, more of a sales pitch. Meaning it has the same light that we see as a 100w incandescent bulb). 8 inch pots is 2 gallons if I remember correctly, that won't be large enough if you intend to have large plants. Again you can do small pots and smaller plants or large pots and larger plants. But the growing style will be different for each (or should be).

If those two dials on the side are your temp/hum you might want to think about getting a thermometer hanging in-between your two reflectors because your gonna get a more accurate reading.

Also once your lights are higher up having a thermometer at the top of your plants and at the level of your grow medium is a good idea because the correct temps relate more to the temp where your roots are. so if the temp at the top of the plants is 85 but the grow medium is at 75 your doing ok.

don't know if your planning on taking them out side but for indoors the bigger pot the better. Remo from urban grower and most pros now are using garage cans. For my next grow I'm gonna be using recycle bin size pots
Hey Rupperthedank glad u checked out my grow , that is my temp/hum on the side, so you saying to leave that one there and put in another one or move that one? I plan on growing some indoors now that i started indoors, the plan was to start indoors and move them outside, I kinda jump the gun where i live, the weather is not warm enough here in canada. So they are getting a little to big. I just went out and got some bigger pots today 8in nd ive been saving my 15L water bottles for the plants i plan on keeping in my grow room over the summer.

no probs mate, when i started my journal i new very little, i grew my last plant 9 years ago and i got a decent yield off it, but using proper lighting, this time i wanted to stay simple as i had little to no cash to spend so decided with cfls, when i came on this site i soon had loads of people giving me help and advice, i asked loads of questions and got loads of good answers,
i see you have all ready met teSmp, he has given me loads of great advice and he is a genuine top bloke, i really owe him one, youll find out as you get through my journal, their are many top people on here, more than i can name, and im sure they will all be a long very soon checking your journal out and watching how your grow progresses.

if you have any problems just ask as their are more than enough people to get advice off on this site, this site is the best of its type and i would not go to any other site now, even the site staff are top people and do all they can to help you with any concerns,

blue planet nutrients is a great product and the bloke who makes the product is a top bloke dedicated to getting the best out of these plants, so check his site out, loads of people on here use his products and they wont go back and use anything else, he is a sponsor on this site as well and gives away products to people who win the monthly contests so it would be worth checking his products out, they are low priced and really do go above and beyond any other product i have read about.

im just waiting for mine to be delivered, i owe teSmp for hooking me up for this, youll read why im sure,

looks like your well on your way to some nice bud,

I would put the one you have right in the middle of your grow room about 3-4" off the ground and then get a cheap and light thermometer to hang from that yellow cable that runs between your two hoods.

by the way nice light setup I'm gonna make sure to build a nice hoodfor my next grow which will start in about 2 months unless my plants are boys I'll know in 10 days at the most put them in flower Sunday night. Right now I'm using 11 23 watt and 1 68 watt.
6 of the 23 watters are split up between two 10 1/2" work lights and the rest are hanging and I know I'm losing a good amount of light and a DIY hood will defiantly help

i agree, i could do with making a better lighting rig, i could do with building a square one that holds the bulbs instead of fitting the cfls in where i can, my lights ok and does the job but it was a spure of the moment thing and just put it together, but i could do with making something using the splitter sockets to convert to 2 bulbs in 1 socket and making it so it was easier to raise and lower, plus my lighting rig is not the same size as my grow space, when i could do with really making a square lighting rig so it covers the area above the plants so their would be no light escaping above the lighting rig, i dont lose much light but could do a lot better if i had the time to get one put together,

Back
Top Bottom