First timer

you are actually raising ph with lime...7.0 is neutral...below 7.0=acidic...above 7.0=alkaline. That seems backwards to me as well, but I didn't invent the scale.

Wow i've heard the opposite until now thanks southern weed

I don't know if just have a green thumb or lucky or what but i have never checked my ph
Ya I though that was going to be a more technical part of growing so I bought a $20 soil ph and fertility meter from Home Depot and i think it was crap it always read almost the same thing i think it was not sensitive enough. i ended up tossing it back behind my grow box after a frustrating day. Instead I just ph'd the water going with a little $7.00 kit from the hydro shop once in a while and waited for signs of too much acidity.

james843-
if there is a hydro store near you can buy some ph down to add to your water i got mine for 13bucks or buy distilled water i think its ph is 6.7~6.8

I bought a $20 soil ph and fertility meter from Home Depot and i think it was crap it always read almost the same thing i think it was not sensitive enough. i ended up tossing it back behind my grow box after a frustrating day i just ph'd the water going in once in a while and wait for signs of too much acidity.

Soil Ph is far more stable than any hydro setup. The main issue you face is as the plant uses the nutes given to them, they convet them into salts. These salts can lower ph if left unchecked. A good tip for raising Ph in soil is to water with ph adjusted water, or add dolomite lime to the soil, then flush it thru. Your ph meter was probably correct, as soil ph tends to vary very little from day to day, provided you used a good planting medium and have watched your nute mixture. And if worse comes to worse, buy some litmus strips and test the runoff. It's not the most ideal way to test but it is better than nothing.

james843-
if there is a hydro store near you can buy some ph down to add to your water i got mine for 13bucks or buy distilled water i think its ph is 6.7~6.8

James,
I use r/o water from a local grocery store...cost about a buck a gallon and ph runs around 6.0...and the ppm count is around 3-5 ppm. This sure makes calculating your nute ppm alot easier. And if you don't have a hydro shop near you, or don't wish to pay the markup, you can buy ph up/down and ph test kits from wal mart or any full service pet store.

Thanks falcore ill have to look into that if i ever run into some ph problems but i agree with SoutherWeed as well i usually buy water from wal mart but i buy the water gallons that are used for babies i dont know what is it or what but seems to be working fine i just mix in the nutes in the gallon shake it up and feed thats it lol

@ Falcore, I dont have any hydro stores in the distance i Can get to

@ southernweed, Sounds good I'll be picking up some distilled water today. but i have no idea what ppm in water means

@L8tNightSkunk, Damn you're pretty lucky

@ southernweed, Sounds good I'll be picking up some distilled water today. but i have no idea what ppm in water means

Parts Per Million...it's a measure of impurities in the water. Things like chlorine, flouride etc. It is also a way to very accurately mix your nute solution. I bought a ppm meter off e-bay for less than 20 bucks. Granted its no state of the art pen, but it gets the job done.

Soil Ph is far more stable than any hydro setup. The main issue you face is as the plant uses the nutes given to them, they convet them into salts. These salts can lower ph if left unchecked. A good tip for raising Ph in soil is to water with ph adjusted water, or add dolomite lime to the soil, then flush it thru. Your ph meter was probably correct, as soil ph tends to vary very little from day to day, provided you used a good planting medium and have watched your nute mixture. And if worse comes to worse, buy some litmus strips and test the runoff. It's not the most ideal way to test but it is better than nothing.

Thanx Southern Weed thats good to know and if i ever start growin hydro there will be quite a reasearch project proceeding it. lol;) i have used fox farm everything so far and havent had problems with low ph yet just high but that was tap water issues all the same i think i'll leave the ph meter where it lays LOL :grinjoint:

james843- any changes in your ones condition?

I'm almost 100% sure its dead, i couldnt get a ride to get some ph settlers somwhere D:

Of course tricome. thanks though

Has it died? If so no biggie all you have to do is get a seed germinate that baby it only takes a couple days and before you know it bam! another lil seedling! And now your gonna be better informed and prepared! good luck budy

shit all i got is jiffy pots. >.> I got a seed germin atm! thank you every1 for following, sorry it didnt get exciting

Back
Top Bottom