Golfer420 - Crop King Seeds Jack Herer - Soil - LED/CFL - Grow 3

I believe the PH is the issue. I flushed J2 with about 6 gallons of water (3gal pot) that was around 6.8-7. Run off was testing red, than orange, then yellow. I ran 3 gal of water through J1. Let them run off a bit and now they're back in. Right now they look worse than they do above.

The last time I watered/fed before today was 5 days ago on 11/22. Both plants were very light today when I took them out to water the first time.

I think my problem is this is fox farm happy frog soil. With continued feedings I was probably lowering the PH every time. I don't think the soil releases the salts as well as other mediums and I ran into the build up.

It's frustrating because J1 is flowering but she's been thrown for another loop. J2 really looks messed up. When I was feeding and taking photos above I noticed that while she's only 2 days behind J1, I haven't seen many pistils growing.

Hopefully the flush worked.:scratchinghead:
The recommended amount for flushing is 3 times the volume of the pot. so if you flushed 6 gallons in a 3 gallon pot you did not get a good flush. Just to give you an example, I recently flushed my Mango plant which is in a 5 gallon pot. When I poured the 1st gallon through I tested the PPM in the catch basin then continued to pour 1 gallon at a time till I ran 15 gallons through and tested the PPM again. In my opinion the PPM was still to high at 15 gallons so I continued till I got PP reading that told me everything was flushed out. It took me 25 gallons.

When I help people with problem 7 of ten times they are running fox farms soil..... and using nutrients...
I am one of the 3 who do not have issues with Fox Farms, though I believe many times the soil is blamed for the growers mistakes.
Add me to the list...:thedoubletake:
From what I could pick up from the thread I would agree that part of your problem was a PH issue. If you feed with nutrients every watering, you really have to be accurate with your PH and recalibrate your meter often. Also it is recommended that you flush your plants every 3 weeks when feeding every watering. Just not sure if I would blame the soil if it is not the soils fault. The main problem I run across with growers and fox farm is they want to start using nutrients right out of the gate, even with seedling. That s not the soils fault that is a growers error.

Thanks, Atrain. I don't know how I missed your question but glad I answered most of it anyway.

The tent temp has been varying pretty widely. 70's - 90's. It was warm the past two days (60's) so I'm trying to leave the tent open so it avg's around 80.

So did I answer my own question and was flushing the right thing to do?
The temp on my tents run between 64 on a low up to 85 on the high, though I have had a few times that have run up to 90. Ideally if you can maintain a range of 75 to 85 you are rocking and should not have any issues at all.

You answered it when u said fox farm soil

Use pro mix next run with you using bottle nutes your plants will love you for it... the fox farms you cannot control what they get and how much ....
While I do believe FF is a hot soil for seedlings, I have had no issues with FF soil and if anyone can screw something up, it is me. I have a knee jerk reaction to everything. When offering advice, I am conservative but in my garden I am progressive and shot from the hip.

Yes flushing was the right thing in my opinion....

Pic back up when the pot is light and only use a very light feed and watch what they do after
I agree that flushing his plants is definitely going to help in his situation though a proper flush will do more good for her then a partial.

80 is ok..... past that is getting dangerois.... if I were you and had high temp problems pick up a good silicate. ... Google it
That stuff is the bomb thats for sure. :thumb:

Sorry for jumping in on your thread Golfer420, did not mean to step on any toes, but I would give it a thorough flushing on your next watering, and while 3 times is the minimum, and chances are you got most of it with the 2 times the volume, I would still flush her again with 3 to 4 times, just to be safe.

I have to pat myself on the back this time. The girls needed to flush. I anxiously went to the tent this morning, not sure of what I might find. Last it looked dire, all the leaves puckered up.

This morning they've sprung back to almost 80% of where they were:goodjob: J2 looks amazingly better. Leaves filled out again. Going to let this flush dry out a bit and do another flush in 5 or so day.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.:thanks:

A good flush and pot dry never hurts... my first grow was in pre feted soil and I used bottled nutes... almost killed my plant but a good flush and back of of nutes and she bounced back hard
20150201_005938-1.jpg
20150210_165239-1.jpg
20150305_054855-1.jpg
20150403_044438-1.jpg

Thanks for the photo's, Atrain. There is still hope!:thumb:

Here are the ladies at day 38/36. J1 doesn't look as back to normal as J2. There is still some weak looking leaves. I also didn't flush as much water through her. You may also notice that her pot has more staining on it. That pot was from the first grow. I've got some string pulling the side branches down on J1. She seems to be further along maturity wise than just 2 days. The buds are starting to develop though she is not nearly as dense as J2.

J2 is doing much better than she was. Still some 'puckered' leaves. Both plants are still heavy and damp. It will be a few more days before I flush again. J2 has a much broader and flatter canopy but her buds seem to have been stunted a bit, at least compared to J1. Still waiting for more pistils to be evident on J2. There some small ones, but nothing significant yet.

I'm glad the weather is getting a little colder as it won't be hard to keep the tent cool. I had draped a blanket over it so it hides well in the garage but when the temps hit 60, the tent gets too warm.

Thanks for stopping by :thanks:

J1 / J2
JHA_Day_38_pair_c.JPG

J2 / J1
JHA_Day_38_pair_b.JPG

J2 up front
JHA_Day_38_pair_a.JPG

J2 / J1
JHA_Day_38_pair.JPG

J1 from above
JHA_Day_38_j1_top.JPG

J1
JHA_Day_38_j1.JPG

J1
JHA_Day_38_j1_cola.JPG

J2 from above
JHA_Day_36_j2_top.JPG

J2
JHA_Day_36_j2_c.JPG

J2
JHA_Day_36_j2_b.JPG

J2
JHA_Day_36_j2.JPG

Rather then using potassium sillicate, I would recommend potassium sulfate as that is much more easily taken up in the plant, not to mention the potassium sillicate is very high ph and can cause a reaction in the res

The ladies are hanging in there. I'm not seeing a huge amount of growth. I think I stunted them well. J1 flowering slowly. J2 hardly seems to have changed much. The leaves are slightly puckered again and I think it's because as the soil dries, the roots are getting the moisture from the bottom of the pot which probably wasn't flushed thoroughly enough and has low PH.

It's only been three full days from the flush and I can still feel dampness on the pots. I'm thinking another day or so and I will flush again. Hopefully that gets things back on track.

Day 40.

Haven't been able to spend as much time online and checking in on the threads. Hope all are well :thumb:

Where does the time go :hmmmm:

Running around again tonight and too much to get done. The ladies were finally dried out from the flushing I gave them last Friday. I gave each plant 7+gallons of high 6/low 7 ph. Took a while since the outside hose is off and it was raining. I had to trudge in and out of the house each time with a 2.5 gallon bucket:icon_roll

I was surprised how the low the ph was after having flushed them both last week. After the first 2+ gallons it started showing orangish, then moved up to yellow - slight green. I didn't put any nutes in.

You can see by the pics that the leaves on both are kind of limp, curled and clawed. I'm hoping this flushing they will pick up like last time. I obviously didn't flush enough last time so the perk was short lived.

Also a bit disappointed by the overall progress. I compared last weeks pictures and there hasn't been much flower development in a week. I'm hoping J2 will bounce back and those bud sites start to flower. I don't see any pistils really starting on her yet.

On a good note, the ladies smell so sweet. :drool: Definitely a different plant from NL. Smells great and I'm already seeing trichomes on leaves. Undeveloped, but much more prominent than the NL's at the same stage. I can only imagine how they'll look in 7-8 weeks :thumb:

Next grow is definitely going to be with something soil-less. This is the second time that I've had to do some heavy flushing around 5 weeks.

Thanks for stopping by and your support :Namaste:

JHA_day_41_pair_j2-j1.JPG

J1
JHA_day_41_J1a.JPG

JHA_day_41_J1.JPG

JHA_day_41_j1_closeup.JPG

J2
JHA_day_39_J2.JPG

JHA_day_39_J2_top.JPG

JHA_day_39_J1_closeup.JPG

just out of curiosity do they perk back up when the pot dries out a bit it almost looks like some extreme over watering/ the start of root rot

Last Thursday I water/fed them. About 2 hours later I could tell something was wrong. So I flushed them well. The next day they looked perky. As each day went by they seemed less so.

I just checked them this morning. They're improved, but not a complete rebound. Some of the leaves seem to be reaching outward - an improvement, but not a healthy vibrant plant.

Others have commented on the over-watering theory but the pots were very light last night and the soil was dry. I'm wondering of there are other factors with having these two plants in such tight quarters.

My intention wasn't to grow two at time - it was luck(?) that the plant I didn't think was going to make it ended up pulling through.

It is what it is at this point. Just have to give them some time.

ugh. doesn't look good :yikes:

Both plants look no better and maybe a little worse than this morning.

Part of me thinks the over-watering thing might be part of the issue here. They were very light yesterday so there could not have been much moisture in there. The last 3 times I watered them there were 4 full days in between (11/17, 11/22, 11/27, 12/2).

Having two in there at the same time definitely cuts down on air movement, even around the pots.

I do have that CO2 bag in there. Besides the soil I started with, the CO2 is the only variable changed from my NL grows (and having two together). I can't think that there is too much CO2, but I might take the bag out for a bit.

I used the same nutes and haven't used much more than the first time.

Definitely questions but not a lot of answers. :hmmmm::scratchinghead:

Finally - it's Friday :partyboy:

Also, my replacement vape came in the mail today. First vape I have ever bought and it needed to go back as it was defective. This one worked much better the last two uses tonight. Maybe it's a keeper ;)

Here are the girls. Not the picture of health but they're not losing leaves. Can't be all bad - right?:hmmmm:

J1 is definitely flowering more so than J2. They're only two days apart but J1 looks a week or more ahead. She was also the transplant that I wasn't sure was going to make it. J2 was the one I accidentally topped. I compared these two to the last NL and they look to be about a week or so behind, which would make sense they're mostly sativa and will go a bit longer.

I did a bit of trimming last night, taking mostly inner leaves to give better air flow and a few covering bud sites.

I'm going to make sure they dry out well before the next water/feeding. I took the CO2 bag out earlier. Too early to tell if that has any impact.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks for stopping by :thanks:

Here are some pics that I'm tweaking in lightroom to get rid of the purple led tint.

JHA_day_day_43_pair_a.JPG

JHA_day_day_43_pair.JPG

J1 cola
JHA_day_day_43_J1_cola.JPG

J2 bud site
JHA_day_day_41_J2_top.JPG

Golfer
Gals will be fine. What kind of vape you using?

Back
Top Bottom