Green Knight Berry Bomb Hydro CFL - Experiment #1: Supercropped Defoliated ScROG

Thanks bid; it was a minor hiccup but I've manned-up: she's getting bent when and where necessary!

when it comes to my girls i have learned my policy now is "whip em,beat em,bend em, break em,choke em,slap em,spank em,bite em make em write bad checks!" whips chains rope wire clips clamps cuffs nails bondage and discipline and they will love you like no other for it, loyal and giving to the death is how they respond! now if i could only get my human girl to respond the same way i'd be made in the shade :rofl: i was gonna say "if i could only get mt plants to respond the same" then i thought um spiffy might read this and then it will be me getting spanked n slapped lol!:high-five:

you concidered getting a bigger light in there? even a 250 hps would .akes things alot better as it can penertrate better the cfl's p.s i'm writing this msg on my phone on the toilet at work, this is getting rediculous! lol very addictive site! its like facebook without all the mindless shit.

Haha, know the feeling mate, it is rather addictive!

Yeah, I've thought long and hard about an hps but there's no way I could control the heat. It's a cupboard within a cupboard (check out the start of my first auto bomb journal and it shows the cupboard and build in detail). Because I'm doing a DWC it would push the res temps to levels that would just be unmanageable and cause no end of issues. Unfortunately I live in a maisonette so have people above me and either side, and the cupboard's in the middle of the house with a concrete ceiling so I can't vent into an attic or outside. Even an air-cooled hood's not really an option as the heat recirculates if the main cupboard door's closed (if we have guests etc).

Long term I'm gonna go led as I'll be able to get more penetration and still keep the heat low. I've got a 400w hps from some grows I did years ago so I've got experience with them and if I could I would. So for the time being it's the cfl, but it should give me plenty enough to make it worthwhile in the short term, at least until I upgrade to a decent led.

Ahh yeah not really any options for you at the moment then, it's a shame because it would be good to see your good growing skills with a slightly better light but i guess if the cfl will supply you with smoke to last until the next harvest comes in then i guess its job done.

Ahh yeah not really any options for you at the moment then, it's a shame because it would be good to see your good growing skills with a slightly better light but i guess if the cfl will supply you with smoke to last until the next harvest comes in then i guess its job done.

Thanks DrT. Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting a decent led in the future, but for now it's the cfl. I don't really have any major complaints with it so far apart from the shit light distribution under the side where the bulb screws in to the reflector, but I'd love to see what could be done with more light

Day 21 of 12/12, Day 10 of flowering.

All's going very smoothly really. Buds are developing and beginning to frost. I've supercropped quite a lot this week - pretty much every top has now been supecropped at least once, some 2 or 3 times, and there's a big one right at the back which I think I must have supercropped about 4 or 5 times to keep her down and relatively level with the rest of the canopy. I snapped two yesterday evening just being a bit careless (you'll see the blue tape in some of the photos) but they'll be absolutely fine, I'm not worried about them (they'll probably do better than some of the others if they behave the same as some of the branches I snapped a bit when supercropping in veg).

Now flowering is getting further in I'm going to slow down a little on the supercropping and let things grow upwards a bit more. If a top gets much beyond the others I will still supercrop her back down but each top's got a knuckle or two so I'm happy.

IMG_14727.JPG

IMG_14777.JPG

IMG_14769.JPG

IMG_14829.JPG

IMG_14739.JPG

IMG_14748.JPG

IMG_14799.JPG

IMG_148010.JPG

IMG_14817.JPG

EC's been holding pretty steady for much of the week around 1.5. I topped up with plain un-pH'd water half way through the week as it crept slowly to 1.6 over 4 days. Interestingly I've just done the res change and over the course of last night the EC dropped quite significantly down to 1.27 so she may just have started getting hungry as she ramps things up. I've set it 1.5 again with the res change, see how it goes over the next day or two and if necessary I'll up the nutes to 1.6/1.7 or something, depending on how much she uses so it holds reasonably steady again.

No defoliation yet - will see how things progress (she's still stretching) and once that's come to an end I'll strip her.

Yeah, you were absolutely spot on mate, I don't think the timing could have been any better - the screen has filled out perfectly thank you!

And thank you for the reps mate, always very gratefully received!

So supercropping is ok during flowering for sure LOL? I'm still nervous. I abused the sh*t out of her in veg but now all I do is defol. I do have a couple of higher tops on my MK and she's at exactly 21 days from the flip too. Am I in the clear for a few bends?

So supercropping is ok during flowering for sure LOL? I'm still nervous. I abused the sh*t out of her in veg but now all I do is defol. I do have a couple of higher tops on my MK and she's at exactly 21 days from the flip too. Am I in the clear for a few bends?
no better time then right now,iSmokes, i supercrop in flower all the time just dont do it to late into flower:)

Yeah, it seems to be fine mate. I was a bit nervous initially and then got a bit more ballsy on Vick's advice and also his last journal where he did some quite late into flower. I've also noticed that Bassman supercrops quite a bit when flowering.
I've not noticed any adverse affects at all. If anything quite the opposite. The top at the back which was shooting up and I've had to crop about 4 or 5 times is by far the most developed of all the tops, and where it's positioned I don't think it's due to it getting more light than any of the others.

I'm still relatively early in flower but I don't think it will do any harm at all if you want to bring those tops down. I think an even canopy will be more beneficial overall and I've not noticed any detrimental effects. I also didn't supercrop everything at the same time, so some were done originally and others left and I can't say I noticed the one's I originally supercropped slow down or do any worse than the ones I didn't. If anything it was the reverse - the ones I supercropped first were the first buds to start frosting (though for some of them that light distribution may be a factor as they're the ones in the middle that are always under the light). Overall (but based on limited experience to be fair - I've still got a way to go and haven't harvested) I'd say don't worry about it - bend them down to even the canopy and it should be absolutely fine.

no better time then right now,iSmokes, i supercrop in flower all the time just dont do it to late into flower:)

Ha ha; there's me writing a 150 word essay and you to get straight to the point!! I really should use less words!

Ha ha; there's me writing a 150 word essay and you to get straight to the point!! I really should use less words!
lmao...You said it alot better than i did bro im usually to lazy to type out essays lol...im a 2 fingered typer(caveman style)
The reason the tops You supercropped are more developed is everytime a plant gets damaged it sends hormones to the affected area to heal it, this is what ive read on the subject anyways, I cant remember all the tecnical mumbo jumbo.It has happened to me everytime Ive done it bro. that doesnt mean go bend every top the plant has btw but theres nothing wrong with doing it in flower, maybe thats why Bass does it late into flower.I cant see any other reason to try it once the stretch is done and the canopy is where you want it:)

That makes perfect sense and explains a lot. I also remember reading somewhere that the knuckles that develop help more nutes get delivered to the buds. How true that is I'm not sure, but the healing/hormones hypothesis makes perfect sense.

Agree with you totally on the late into flower bit and once stretch is over - there comes a point where it's not really needed anyway. I've been working a bit on the 'more nutes delivered' theory and the idea of getting it done early (so I did loads during veg) so the knuckles are all in place ready for when the buds start wanting a lot of nutes for their development.

Ha ha: the funny thing is you won't show them - you'll bend them down and think "Ah ha, sorted", and they'll just grow stronger than ever!! I've nailed the one at the back of mine a few times and you can't keep her down, she grows horizontal for a day, turns up towards the light and is then off again like Usain Bolt.

It reminds me of that Monty Python film with the knight who's had his arms and legs chopped off: "Come back - It's only a flesh wound!!"

Back
Top Bottom