GrowDad's Blue Berries & Super Skunk Grow 2020

Thanks heat management will be my issue if I stay in the tent. Both lights can bring the temp up to 80+. If all four take the whole room becomes the grow room (3 x 10 x 8.). I cannot let this huge investment go the wayside due to heat. I have come too far! LOL
I was running about 86• at the soil and I was surprised nothing happened. I was worried too though, so I directed a fan to swirl the air upwards and a fan to blow it out the top to my air exchanger. I dropped about 9 degree average.

Here’s how I did it. This foil cone thing helps to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Day 28
What difference a day makes. I checked on the girls and boy they were asking for some more stress training.

I am exposing more and more areas for new colas. I clipped one fan leave that was as big as my hand off Sassy because it was blocking so much. I was hoping not to clip anything but it had to be done.

Temp are about 76 RH is about 48%. They are doing well. So I am going to stay the course. :surf::reading420magazine:

Here some overhead shots of the girls with their hair done. I can not say I have great techniques of LST, since this is first time. So I figured I would just bend them over and hit their backside with some light and see what they do.

The Super skunk strain I am using indicates that its typically a low yielding plant, but I think the two girls I have going to prove that wrong with these LST techniques.

First Up BlueBerries "KAREN"

The Super skunk "Sassy" is a beast! She is going to produce a big yield I suspect. :)

Even "Runt" has rebounded nicely so she got bend over today.

Last but certainly not least Super Skunk "Lass" aka "Lazy Ass" but there isnt anything lazy about this girl.

My goal is to let them go for a few more weeks until they are about 1 1/2 ft tall or 2 ft then make the switch to flower.

Thoughts?

Day 30

So I have really been manipulating the leaves with stress training and its going really well. Plants are healthy and look good in my opinion. I really don't see any problems.

I am not sure if height or canopy diameter matters much so I list them here so hopefully it adds some value in your assessment of my gals.

Here are some stats for each of the girls and their current situation

Here is Karen. She is 7 inches tall with a canopy diameter is 13 inches.

Here is Sassy she is also 7 inches tall with a canopy diameter is 15 inches

Here is Lass. She is the biggest of the bunch at 8 inches tall and a canopy diameter of a whopping 16 inches!

Here is Runt. She has rebounded nicely and stands at 7 inches tall and has a canopy diameter of 13 inches.

Does this data mean anything? It is of value? I figured I would let them reach a height of 2 ft. but I suppose the canopy would be huge...

Is there a risk of letting it get bigger up to 2 ft in height? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Does this data mean anything? It is of value? I figured I would let them reach a height of 2 ft. but I suppose the canopy would be huge...

Is there a risk of letting it get bigger up to 2 ft in height? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Information always has some value but height will be the most important.

When you flip your light schedule you be fairly certain that the plant will double at least in height as it stretches toward the light. Some may add 150% so you can attempt to determine ahead of time if you'll have enough head room before they get into the light.

As a lazy grower I don't do a lot of LST. I like to watch them grow naturally first grow. Then if I take clones and run them again I'll know a bit about how they grow and can adapt if necessary.

Your girls are looking nice and healthy.

Information always has some value but height will be the most important.

When you flip your light schedule you be fairly certain that the plant will double at least in height as it stretches toward the light. Some may add 150% so you can attempt to determine ahead of time if you'll have enough head room before they get into the light.

As a lazy grower I don't do a lot of LST. I like to watch them grow naturally first grow. Then if I take clones and run them again I'll know a bit about how they grow and can adapt if necessary.

Your girls are looking nice and healthy.

Thanks Jim. This is my first time using the method. I chose it because I decided to stay in 3 ga smart pots. So I wanted to make sure my chances of a high yield were increased. I have considered the double in size and at these current heights, I think I can grow them longer to two feet but the canopies will also be large... which might be a problem so maybe 1 1/2 ft maybe?

What do you recommend?

What do you recommend?
Width of canopy can be controlled a bit by trimming the terminal ends or continuing to twist them in circles. You'll be limited by the tent's footprint and you may have some problems moving them around. My recommendation is to continue to work the plant without causing too much stress for the plant. Again...they look healthy and not stressed at this time. I always have bamboo stakes around that come in handy to influence them to move in the desired direction and are you use some wire or pipe cleaners to attach to the stakes.

Yo yos can also be used to attached to your tent frame and hold them but once attached you limit movement. I've never used a yo yo so you're on your own there.

Width of canopy can be controlled a bit by trimming the terminal ends or continuing to twist them in circles. You'll be limited by the tent's footprint and you may have some problems moving them around. My recommendation is to continue to work the plant without causing too much stress for the plant. Again...they look healthy and not stressed at this time. I always have bamboo stakes around that come in handy to influence them to move in the desired direction and are you use some wire or pipe cleaners to attach to the stakes.

Yo yos can also be used to attached to your tent frame and hold them but once attached you limit movement. I've never used a yo yo so you're on your own there.
Good thing Jim there is no tent. It's actually in a storage room. So space isn't an issue. I have been moving them moving the main cola around away from the lights and such. I went and measured and based on your 150% threshold I can afford the plants to 11/2 which leaves me room for that 150 without making adjustments to the room set up I have been able to keep the lights 13 inches but my upward growth is going to begin because they are just at that point where I need to raise it a bit.

So I went down to measure this is an older pic but that shelf the lights are suspended are about just a smidge above 4 ft above the top of the smart pot.
Considering my lights will have a 4 inch hang from the highest point which would leave me with about 3 3/4 ft.. so in theory I would be pushing it to take it it 1 1/2 ft in height... Only other way would be to reconfigure my light set up which may cost more money that the wifey would not be happy about.
So I think I should allow my self a bit more flex since this is my first grow in over 15 years... and make the flip to flower when they hit about 12 inches in height.

Day 32
Temps 78 RH 53%. Little breeze from the west at 1 mph. LOL

All the ladies received a drink today I am keeping them on the week 3 feeding schedule because I want them a bit more bushy. Performed some more LST on them and all seem to be at 7 inches tall.
Since I was able to LST them a bit more I left the lights at 13inch above the plants. They seem to dig it and not trying to hard to get to the light, which i assume they are getting plenty and I am ok with that.... the more bushy and fat the better. LOL

Here is a group shot of the ladies.

Day 34

Performed more LST. So far each plant has anywhere between 13 to 19 sites so far.

In this latest LST, I opened them up more I think this will be the last time I don't want the canopies to exceed the usable light.

I think this latest LST I am curious to see how many more sites will develop.

Here is the latest pic.

Day 36

LASS (SS) now has 26 sites.
Runt (BB) only has 13 sites.
Sassy(SS) has 22 sites and is still LST'ing so she should develop more.
Karen(BB) has 19 sites and she too is still LST'ing.

As the girls are getting bigger the RH which has been a constant 48% is now holding steady at 54%. Not bad but a big jump for the girls.

Temps are a constant 77-78 degrees.

This round of watering is just water.... My plants were on a 3 day watering... since FF says feed twice a week I was feeding twice a week...

The very tips looked a bit burnt.. but as @Emilya says.. go big or go home... LOL On the outside of the smart pot I see what either is dried up root tips or salts coming out the sides. If I were to guess I would say salts.. the roots are great and plentiful but not that awesome.. LOL

So it will be a plain water run this time... let them come out of the LST. I would say they are about a week away from making their transition to flower.

Day 37
Lights are current 13 inches above plants.
I forgot to add a pic, so here it is below. Hey @Emilya , EVERY last tip of each leaf has a lil burnt tip :cough:! Since I just gave a full watering, they will require another in about 3 days, should I give them plain water again, since this will be the last week of veg? (6 more days) Then the next will be at the switch day.

Here is the group photo:

excellent! That is right where I like running my plants too, and how every properly run organic grow I have ever done has gone. Looking really good in there!
Hey @Emilya , FF recommends a flush prior to entering flower. My question isn't whether to perform a flush or not, but will I have to PH 15 ga. of PH'd water in my bathtub, or can I use straight tap? My PH out of the tap is about 8.3.

Can you please advise?

Hey @Emilya , FF recommends a flush prior to entering flower. My question isn't whether to perform a flush or not, but will I have to PH 15 ga. of PH'd water in my bathtub, or can I use straight tap? My PH out of the tap is about 8.3.

Can you please advise?
Glad to help. The ONLY reason we pH adjust our incoming fluids is so that the nutrients are within the window of pH that allows their EDTA bonds to break apart and make those nutes mobile within the soil. Since during the flush, there are no nutes, there is also no need whatsoever to pH adjust. Straight tap water is fine. When I had to flush, I did it just like that, carried the plants one by one to the bathtub and let them have it.

Thank you!!! So I will flush them, trip the lights and feed them as soon as they are dry with flower nutes. Does that sound like the logical order? Thanks so much Queen G. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom