Growing Indoors In The Great White North: Blue Berry, Skunk, Kush

Here they are at 91 days, 4 weeks into flower. Starting to smell, especially the Blueberry. No stretching yet and the flowers are starting to bunch up below the main colas. Should I be removing more fan leaves? Or waiting for them to wilt?

Tried out a new macro lens for my Nikon, this one isn't terrible at 300 Cdn, I deemed it worthy enough to swap out the light for the MH at the end of the day to test it as I just can't stand the look of the HPS. Sorry if I've mentioned that before...! The first pix is a zoomed in portion of the second pix, a blueberry.

The girls at 101 days, 5 weeks into flower.

Blueberry up close and personal!

Skunk cola

Side shot of Skunk

Blueberry Flower

Skunk Double

Kush Flower

Pistols are browning uniformly on the skunk, but not the Blueberry or the Mystery Kush. I guess this means its maturing earlier? Anyone have any theories? All grown together, could be species variability, but it's only the 6th week of flower which seems early to me?

Have you taken a look with a Loupe at the Trichomes? That will really tell you how the pant is ripening.

Plants mature both by species and even by different plants of the same species. I have two Hindu Kush that were popped at the same time and grown right next to each other. One is a good 2 weeks or more ahead in flowering than her sister.

OOPS! I was going on a short trip and decided to soak the girls, which involved adding water from the top, which I had not been doing very often. I believe the top watering washed a load of fertilizer down, or at least made it available and I burned the tips on three of four of the plants. The one that didn't burn did not get as much top watering as it was damper than the rest at the time. To remedy this I washed with RO water till I had run a gallon or so thru them. I think I should have done this at the flip to rid the peatmoss of built up salts, and it would have not gotten so high. They seem to have recovered from this, although I am sure they don't like being this wet either, but what can you do? Pix to follow.......

Here's an interesting thing, I cut the rootballs in half with a bucksaw to see what the roots had done with the 3 transplants. I was surprised to find that with each transplant the roots grew from the top to the side of the pot, and then to the bottom. All three nested rootballs were cleanly divisible, and had not reached downward to the newer mix as I thought they would. Now that I have proven clones, I plan to go from the 1 cup peat directly to the 7 gallon pot, and I plan to put a 8 inch round styrofoam ball in the centre to stop salts from migrating there. While this will cut down on my water storage, it should keep the nutrients focused where the roots are and hopefully reduce the buildup of salts.

So, its all in and cured! Due to my watering fiasco in the last 3 weeks I did not get the yield I was hoping for, but still did ok. The Skunk yielded 40 grams, the mystery Kush 60 and dried dark purple, and the blueberrys together did 100 grams. some nice buds but plenty of popcorn. So altogether, I grew about what I'm allowed to produce, but I am sure I could have got far more had I not made some errors.

Things I will do differently next time:
When going from seed I flipped at 8 weeks and I now think some weren't quite sexually mature for that so I would let them go a week or two more
I should have top watered with plain Ro water at the flip to bring down some of the salts suspended in the peat moss. As I mentioned above, the roots do not seem to head for the middle of the pot, so I think nutrients can build up there.
I cut them too early because of some personal commitments, poor planning on my part!
I dried the whole plant, and then removed sugar leaves and such, I think doing it wet would result in better looking buds.

Smoke test:
Blueberry: smooth,really nice aroma and taste, and a great stone. my fav!
Skunk: smooth, not really skunk like aroma, but heavy. Trippy, but kind of a late to the party stone!
Kush: smooth, dank taste, reasonable stone.

This is pretty much it for this journal, I will start V 2 in the fall from my blueberry and skunk mothers, and see what they can do if I don't screw it up!

Back
Top Bottom