Hafta's 100% Sativa Panama Multi-Stage Harvest CST Plus Droughting

Smoke test ........finally

All tests were conducted on samples from the peak of a main cola, dried, cured*, and ground.

The parameters of the test were as follows:
1. One scoop was placed into the pipe.
2. One hit was taken at 12:00 noon, held for fifteen seconds, then exhaled.
3. Objective evaluation of physical and psychoactive effects were evaluated for the first half hour (sit and experience) and every hour afterwards.
4. Ability to perform simple and complex activities were evaluated.
5. The type of "come-down" and when it took place were evaluated.
6. Any "hangover" was also evaluated.

The tools of the test were as follows:

Panama Smoke Test.JPG

Before I get to the results it must be noted that my growing style is to constantly stress the plant from seedling to three weeks into flower. This results ( IMO ) in a stronger root system and stronger limbs and branches. I have found it results in higher yield and greater potency. All of these tests were performed on the same plant so I am comparing enhancements to an outstanding product to begin with. The comparison might be even more dramatic if compared to a plant that had no training nor stress until the drought.

Here are some photos from just prior to the first harvest (baseline comparison):

Post Phase 1 Harvest D1 Control 1.JPG

And a dried nug

Phase 1 Nug.JPG

I WOULD BE 100% SATISFIED WITH THE ABOVE RESULTS ........however, read on

All of the following photos were taken of the dried and cured* sample buds used for the smoke test.

Phase One (9 week flower) ( 9 week cure)
The goal was to provide a good get up and go and set a baseline for flowering this strain.
Training:
HST .... topped after fifth node
CST ....
high intensity light from seedling through harvest (never more than 12" from canopy)
reservoir temps ..... 71 - 78 deg F (slow release H2O2)
chamber temps ..... 73 - 87 deg F (CO2 bag)
weight training
defoliating selected leaves daily (20 - 50 ) until week 3 of flower

P-1-1 final (2).JPG

P-1 T-4 final.jpg

Phase one is everything a person could want from a 100% Sativa. It has a mellow taste with earthy undertones. The taste lingers for hours on your tongue and in your sinuses. You feel a light buzz beginning in the first few minutes that continues to increase and your senses awaken as you reach a nice and sustained level of focus. You will not want to sit around! It is very easy to loose your perception of time, in a good way. You will complete tasks and be surprised by how little time has elapsed.
The stone is mostly centered from the forehead to the ears, and above the eyes.
After about four hours you will be evaluating how much of the effects still remain (some will) as they slowly drift away. There is no hangover whatsoever.
I do not recommend for insomnia.
I do recommend it for trout fishing.

Phase Two ( 12 week flower )(6 week cure)

The goal was to compare a 12 week flower period to Phase One. Also, to see if "decapitation" added to potency due to the loss of so many flowers (grazing?)

Training

All of Phase One plus "Decapitation" (removed the top 10" of 86 colas (out of 117))

C-2-1 final (2).JPG

C-2 T-1 final.jpg

Phase Two's physical effects begin more quickly and accelerate to a more intense focus. The stone is centered around the eyes and the middle of the top of your head. The taste is more earthy and more on the tongue than the sinuses. The focus is there whether you are imagining critters in the clouds or you are cutting onions for dinner. A wonderful stone for walking creeks and stalking trout. The stone is also long lasting and will let you know when you need eye drops. You will need something to drink.

Phase Three, the Drought (4 weeks cure*)

149 days from seed, 105 days in flower ( includes 7.5 days drought, 3 days recovery)

The goal was to determine if there was a method to induce a 50% change in LWA over a 7 - 11 day interval while growing in Hydro. Also, to see what effect droughting would have on potency.

Training .... all the above plus droughting

C-1-1 final (2).JPG

C-1 T-3 final.jpg

Well........
The taste is VERY earthy, almost woodsy. It immediately coats your tongue and sinuses with a layer that lasts for hours, and hours. Even after eating onions or garlic. Fortunately it is a very nice taste/smell, especially during exhale.
I have tried several times ( 3 - 4 ) to describe the effects but they are constantly changing. This bud has only cured for four weeks, it will be interesting to see what it is like in four months. I will describe what they are like now.
The effects are different from what I expected. There is no discernible rush. It is just there.The effects are nearly "non-herbal ".
The first thing you experience is an " enhanced clarity". The stone is in the forehead and the back of your head. It does remain a purely Sativa experience so don't expect to stay seated for long. I imagine if I tried five or six consecutive bowls, I might not get up for a while.

*My current stash has been cured for 9-10 months. I typically would not use anything cured less than six weeks, preferably 12 weeks. Some of my impressions noted above may change as the buds cure.

Conclusions:
Droughting definitely has a positive effect on the potency of cannabis.
There is a dramatic difference between the droughted and non-droughted taste and effects.
The droughting technique used above will work for hydroponics.

alway good niformation - it's great to go for the long cure no 9-10 mo's yet cure's but I figure my next sativa run with good tielders migth get 8-9 --- my average is 4-6 mo's (depends on yields) when it curring that is were the "shit happens" !!!!!
As I was pulling out a bud to grind for the coffee table assortment I remembered your post above. The photo below was taken yesterday, 06/15/22. The bud is Super Silver Haze harvested 04/24/21. It has been curing for more than thirteen months ...................:thumb:

Super Silver Haze-1 042421-061522.jpg

Try to put aside a couple of buds for the long cure. It is worth it.

As I was pulling out a bud to grind for the coffee table assortment I remembered your post above. The photo below was taken yesterday, 06/15/22. The bud is Super Silver Haze harvested 04/24/21. It has been curing for more than thirteen months ...................:thumb:

Super Silver Haze-1 042421-061522.jpg

Try to put aside a couple of buds for the long cure. It is worth it.
never have one it that long --was it good - benfites of - with a long there might be some de-generation of 4-5 mos is the longest for me -- depends on yields

never have one it that long --was it good - benfites of - with a long there might be some de-generation of 4-5 mos is the longest for me -- depends on yields
It is wonderful. It is much smoother with a more complete bouquet, especially taste. The high is deeper and lasts longer.
The curing jars are sealed and not opened until its time to be smoked. They are tipped and rotated every month to prevent the buds from collapsing and sticking to each other. No jar is more than 3/4 full and none have more than 7 grams in them. I do not want to expose them to air until it is time to smoke.
I have smoked buds that have cured for more than three years and they all seem to improve over time. I have not yet seen degradation in that time frame.
I also have some Jack Herer that was harvested in March 2021. Amazing stuff but stock is diminishing. I guess I'll germinate.

It is wonderful. It is much smoother with a more complete bouquet, especially taste. The high is deeper and lasts longer.
The curing jars are sealed and not opened until its time to be smoked. They are tipped and rotated every month to prevent the buds from collapsing and sticking to each other. No jar is more than 3/4 full and none have more than 7 grams in them. I do not want to expose them to air until it is time to smoke.
I have smoked buds that have cured for more than three years and they all seem to improve over time. I have not yet seen degradation in that time frame.
I also have some Jack Herer that was harvested in March 2021. Amazing stuff but stock is diminishing. I guess I'll germinate.
thanks for the advice --Yea ! I get buds sticking together after a long cure

Final wrap up.
It has been curing for eight weeks.
Let me say that Panama, from Crop King Seeds, is a wonderful example of 100% Sativa. If you prefer to be off of the couch, this bud's for you.

Phase one and two have matured into a very nice, focused high that will keep you moving while appreciating your surroundings. There is very little difference between the two. The next time I grow this strain I will probably let it flower the full eleven weeks (Phase 2).
Phase three, the droughted one, has also matured into a VERY intense, and highly focused, psychoactive high. So much so that I am using it in a blend to "spread" the intensity. When mixed 50/50 with Super Silver Haze the result is a wonderful, full spectrum high (although no "couch-lock" is present). You will definitely be moving some part of your body whether tapping your feet to music or cleaning the house, car, garage, and yard simultaneously.

As @Maritimer guaranteed, I will be droughting again in the future.

I would like to thank @Krissi Carbone for presenting droughting in a manner that is easily understood and for her patience in dealing with all of us. Her personal results are undeniable and she has incentivized others to try the technique across a variety of growing mediums. WELL DONE .........:Namaste:

Final wrap up.
It has been curing for eight weeks.
Let me say that Panama, from Crop King Seeds, is a wonderful example of 100% Sativa. If you prefer to be off of the couch, this bud's for you.

Phase one and two have matured into a very nice, focused high that will keep you moving while appreciating your surroundings. There is very little difference between the two. The next time I grow this strain I will probably let it flower the full eleven weeks (Phase 2).
Phase three, the droughted one, has also matured into a VERY intense, and highly focused, psychoactive high. So much so that I am using it in a blend to "spread" the intensity. When mixed 50/50 with Super Silver Haze the result is a wonderful, full spectrum high (although no "couch-lock" is present). You will definitely be moving some part of your body whether tapping your feet to music or cleaning the house, car, garage, and yard simultaneously.

As @Maritimer guaranteed, I will be droughting again in the future.

I would like to thank @Krissi Carbone for presenting droughting in a manner that is easily understood and for her patience in dealing with all of us. Her personal results are undeniable and she has incentivized others to try the technique across a variety of growing mediums. WELL DONE .........:Namaste:
Thanks for the final "wrap" - interesting !!!

Ahoy @Hafta
Ye mention the blending of enhanced cannabis with regular un-droughted cannabis, and I must tell you a story. When I first introduced the local stoners with the enhanced resin, a few folks reported mixing the stronger smoke with dispensary smoke they thought lacked kick. The "blended smoke" was then reported to be a more mellow experience.

Nowadays, they all insist on my enhanced smoke and have abandoned the Illinois dispensaries. I showed a couple of them how to catch a true rush, using nothing but a joint to puff on. After they caught on to the breath control and began experiencing the rushes they call "joint droppers" they can take one hit, catch an awesome rush and go about their business smiling.

So, @Hafta my friend, when you are ready for a rush just let me know and I will show ye the way. You will drop the joint so don't try it on the carpet. :love:

Ahoy @Hafta
Ye mention the blending of enhanced cannabis with regular un-droughted cannabis, and I must tell you a story. When I first introduced the local stoners with the enhanced resin, a few folks reported mixing the stronger smoke with dispensary smoke they thought lacked kick. The "blended smoke" was then reported to be a more mellow experience.

Nowadays, they all insist on my enhanced smoke and have abandoned the Illinois dispensaries. I showed a couple of them how to catch a true rush, using nothing but a joint to puff on. After they caught on to the breath control and began experiencing the rushes they call "joint droppers" where they can take one hit, catch an awesome rush and go about their business smiling.

So, @Hafta my friend, when you are ready for a rush just let me know and I will show ye the way. You will drop the joint so don't try it on the carpet. :love:
OK, so now you have me interested.
I gave up joints decades ago when the quality of my crop far exceeded the need for multiple hits and is currently far superior to dispensary bud. Why waste the "in-between" and add paper to the flavor?
I have tried a variety of intakes over the years.
One of my favorites was my freezer pipe. A six foot long piece of stainless tubing coiled into a standing pipe with a mouthpiece on one end and a single hit bowl on the other. Place it in the freezer for 30 minutes, install the mouthpiece, and blow your lungs out. You did not feel any smoke entering but the amount exiting was quite impressive. Must be smoked while seated.
I currently use an ebony pipe made in the early seventies.
What is the "joint dropper" technique?

Ahoy Captain @Hafta,
Given your experience and obvious commitment to getting the most out of your smoke, I shouldn't go into any details less I might offend. What it amounts to in a nutshell is taking several hits (intaking as much as possible) in the same hit, without coughing or exhaling. When you begin to feel the rush, you can satisfy your desire to cough and breath.

I smoke joints when not inside my house. Using Raw Classics as rolling papers is a far cry from our old zig-zags of the seventies. Thank you for trusting in the research and science we have tried to provide everyone. The more enhanced resin our gardens provide equates to less pain and suffering we folks must endure. The craft of droughting cannabis for this battle with pain requires more and more gardeners, as to provide folks better relief. After you get the hang of it, please, please spread the love and teach other gardeners. :love:

Hoping your sails are full. :hookah:

Awesome journal @Hafta

Was this the first time you decapitated? I wish I had seen this before my harvest, thiught about it, but didn't know if it would hermie after 48hrs of darkness and then back to 12/12. Ill have to try decapitation next time as I can't seem to avoid undeveloped buds down low. Thanks

@Timhomegrow
The plant in my "Amsterdam" journal was harvested multiple times due to its size ( 9+ pounds), top down. It was cut about once every ten days, when the dry box was flipped. It was outdoor so no darkness.
I saw no signs of Hermies with the Panama grow, either before or after drought.
I'm hoping the new technique, Skirted CST (in my signature), will help with the lower buds.

I ordered some test kits from @Plantchek . I worked with one of the owners, Phillipe, and found them to be very helpful and responsive. I highly recommend their product and service.

The pre-drought results showed a THC level of 18 - 20%.
The post-drought results showed a THC level of 22 - 24%.

There is a measurable increase in potency when droughted. There is also a substantial difference in the effects.

I ordered some test kits from @Plantchek . I worked with one of the owners, Phillipe, and found them to be very helpful and responsive. I highly recommend their product and service.

The pre-drought results showed a THC level of 18 - 20%.
The post-drought results showed a THC level of 22 - 24%.

There is a measurable increase in potency when droughted. There is also a substantial difference in the effects.
Ahoy my brother!
Your work is especially refreshing, as I see a dogged pursuit of maximizing this most beneficial plant our creator gave to us. Please continue to show folks some of the ways. :love: 👩‍🌾

Ahoy my brother!
Your work is especially refreshing, as I see a dogged pursuit of maximizing this most beneficial plant our creator gave to us. Please continue to show folks some of the ways. :love: 👩‍🌾
Another update ( I almost said final but who knows?)

I posted the above THC concentrations on a different thread and it was suggested that I didn't harvest for peak THC and that the difference between the pre-drought and the post-drought were simply a result of harvest timing.

So,
I tested the Phase One harvest as well. Here are the @Plantchek test results for each Phase:

Phase 1 (9 week flower with all cloudy with some clear trichomes) ........THC tested greater than 24%.
The test kit only goes up to 24%, although there is a method described in the instructions to determine the percentage above 24% accurately but it would have meant an addition $15 test. The results were enough to verify the harvest timing.

Phase 2 (12 week flower with mostly cloudy and about 5% amber).....THC tested at about 20%
A drop could be expected as some THC gets converted.

Phase 3 (10 day drought and three day re-fert) .... THC tested just under 24%
An increase in trichome density was observed, in this case as well as many others. I believe Caplan also saw an increase in THC level following drought.

Just glancing out the window reminded me of where you live. we are under a blizzard warning, and it is kicking up out there. someday I will remember why I moved back to Illinois. LOL

sorry, bit off topic :hookah:

Back
Top Bottom