Happy to see legalization in my lifetime

Hi, I am Carmen, from Cape Town, South Africa. In September last year, the government decriminalized personal use and home grows. We have a long way to go but I am thrilled to be growing in soil medium pots on an indoor balcony, legally. I harvest natural light and sometimes have the windows partially open, so it will be interesting to see if I grow sense buds or not.

Attachments

• DSC_6166-Edit.jpg
    DSC_6166-Edit.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_1698-EditINSTA.jpg
    DSC_1698-EditINSTA.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_6165-Edit.jpg
    DSC_6165-Edit.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 151
Hi, I am Carmen, from Cape Town, South Africa. In September last year, the government decriminalized personal use and home grows. We have a long way to go but I am thrilled to be growing in soil medium pots on an indoor balcony, legally. I harvest natural light and sometimes have the windows partially open, so it will be interesting to see if I grow sense buds or not.
Welcome to :420: Carmen, glad to hear of your ability to grow without fear of prosecution anymore, your plants look nice soo far, keep chugging along, there’s some helpful links in my signature to help get you started if needed. Welcome along and cheers mate

Welcome Carmen, .... Needs lights... On top... On sides , reflected... Direct... Hehe.
:ganjamon:

I'm not so sure about the lights. It does look dark in the photos because I was using a macro lens on F9, but there is plenty of natural light and they seem to have been doing great until the gnats and re-pot. Heading out for the day and will look at your material when I get back. Thanks for sharing, Lowrider

Welcome @Carmen Ray , they just made pot legal in my state in the US, omg how liberating eh? Got 12 plants going in my basement. Never thought I'd see the day. Your plants look awesome! Cheers, luck to your grow!

Welcome, Lots of knowledge on this site and super friendly people willing to help out if you have questions. I am from Canada and we legalized recreational use and growing across the whole country last year. Only allowed 4 plants but that's plenty for me. I saw in the news about South Africa having a water shortage. Did they resolve that.

Hey Edzzed, sadly we have experienced severe drought for several years. A couple of decades ago, the scientists warned the government about what would happen if the situation was not properly managed. It's happening now. We are hoping for a rainy winter this year and are moving into winter now. It's quite a mess really and that is down to incompetence and corruption in government. Thank you for asking :) We are the first city in the world to have reached this point and that is why it has made international news. I think humans take too much for granted, and the more we have, the more we take it for granted. Responsible citizens do what we can, others don't care.

Hi Carmen, and welcome to :420:
Congrats on the legalization. Plenty of growers already here from SA, and my all time fave is @Smeegol A fantastic bloke who can most certainly help if you ever need it. Check out his journal here if you like:
The Jerky Box Project: OG Kush & Haze 2.0

You got me blushing brother thank you....:high-five::laugh:

I am looking forward to "meeting" @Smeegol now :) Thanks for the welcome

Afternoon ( assuming ) ms.Carmen absolute pleasure to meet ya and I see you've been well taken care of already and met some great folk already....:snowboating:

I hope you getting some of this rain that's hitting the country as its been raining for 2 days straight here in kzn and lovely looking girl you have.....

Don't know if you've met the rest of the Saffa clan yet but let me introduce you to @irie lion @Lerugged @Strainyourbrain @Peter Green @Tabenf and our honorary brandy swilling, biltong chomping and local boetman @FoNz awsome bunch of guys who I'm sure you'll meet later on..... :snowboating:

Here's some shiva for you put you right in the mood for a lazy evening....:passitleft:

Hey Smeegol, so nice to meet you :) I look forward to meeting the rest of the saffa folk soon. We have been getting some rain so I hope that is an indicator that there is more to follow. I read that there were some bad storms in KZN a couple of days ago. My girls are in ICU at present. I botched an effort to get rid of fungus gnats this weekend and they are taking strain. My Exodus Cheese plant is shriveling up and her promising pistils have gone brown from root damage and wind burn, I believe but I am remaining hopeful and visiting regularly. I hope she regenerates some new flowers. Thanks for the shiva xoxo

Hey Smeegol, so nice to meet you :) I look forward to meeting the rest of the saffa folk soon. We have been getting some rain so I hope that is an indicator that there is more to follow. I read that there were some bad storms in KZN a couple of days ago. My girls are in ICU at present. I botched an effort to get rid of fungus gnats this weekend and they are taking strain. My Exodus Cheese plant is shriveling up and her promising pistils have gone brown from root damage and wind burn, I believe but I am remaining hopeful and visiting regularly. I hope she regenerates some new flowers. Thanks for the shiva xoxo

We've had a cpl storms I won't lie and they've caused localized flooding and damage, never tried exodus cheese but I have a uk cheese and la cheese in veg at the moment and I do love a good cheese as it works wonders for my back.

For the fungus gnats sprickle cinnamon powder on top of your soil they don't like it and any larvae coming up from under your medium dries their skin out or diatemous earth I've also added h202 to my water when I feed in coco as it kills any egg/larvae in the medium.

Hey @Carmen Ray!
Nice looking plant you've got there - it's coming towards the end of our outdoor season but you will definitely get some smoke from her!
As Smeegs has said, there is so much info and help available here! So ask away if you have any questions.
It's still a bit surreal regarding the decriminalization - but it is unfortunately still a very cloudy topic regarding personal growing, yes legally you can grow a plant, but how many per household, or how many per person per household? Either way, i have been growing for the last 6 years in Cape Town and nothing can stop me! :snowboating::ganjamon:
Are you growing from a random seed found between some bud? Are you watering with any nutrients or just water? Approximately how many hours a day does the plant get sunlight?

I'll be along for the ride and will help out where i can - happy growing!
Peace

welcome :) hoping my neck ofthe words comes out of the dark ages soon and sees the light ingreen!!
good luck on your grows!!
Hey :) It's reaching a critical mass I reckon. I am only fiftyish so I hope to see a shyte ton of movement before I pop my clogs... may your neck of the woods shine green

Hey @Carmen Ray!
Nice looking plant you've got there - it's coming towards the end of our outdoor season but you will definitely get some smoke from her!
As Smeegs has said, there is so much info and help available here! So ask away if you have any questions.
It's still a bit surreal regarding the decriminalization - but it is unfortunately still a very cloudy topic regarding personal growing, yes legally you can grow a plant, but how many per household, or how many per person per household? Either way, i have been growing for the last 6 years in Cape Town and nothing can stop me! :snowboating::ganjamon:
Are you growing from a random seed found between some bud? Are you watering with any nutrients or just water? Approximately how many hours a day does the plant get sunlight?

I'll be along for the ride and will help out where i can - happy growing!
Peace
Hey :) nice to know you are somewhere close by! Thank you for the encouragement.... I am so glad to have found this space and I look forward to learning a lot... Weirdly, I have a particular interest in low input systems due to the economy here and for broad appeal. I am using Seagrow for nutes and I don't think there is high overdose potential with that. This is my first proper grow. The last time was in between my mielies in my parent's backyard and when they went on holiday I harvested and hung the plants upside down on my ceiling fan in a curtained room... (such a novice I was that I had no buds that time lol) This time, I am growing somewhat more scientifically, but still as a rank novice. The bigger cheese and swazi plants were gifted to me as seedlings. I have subsequently started some skunk, another swazi and an amaphondo (and the amaphondo is my herb of choice). I do like some of the fancier stuff but I am keen to grow local strains for their hardiness and an ability to handle local conditions. My plants get good light all day but not a single ray of direct sunlight. Natural cycle here. I think I messed up this grow with over watering and then hasty decisions in dealing with a fungus gnat infestation, but this is a learning process :) How do you do it, Irie Lion? Did you go to the expo?

Hey Y'all... I am happy to report that the girls have done a turn. They shed a shyte ton of fan leaves overnight, and they look positively #perky by comparison to yesterday... I do think I see some new pistils. I have been phoning about and I believe I may have been mistaken about the fungus gnats. Apparently these critters behave more like root aphids... anyway, so ordered the right kinds of bascillus today... also it is confirmed that the grow medium is coco.... my next grow will be a bit better researched lol @Smeagol @Lowrider72 @MrSauga @irie lion

Attachments

• DSC_6676-Edit.jpg
    DSC_6676-Edit.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_6678-Edit.jpg
    DSC_6678-Edit.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_6679-Edit.jpg
    DSC_6679-Edit.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 106
Hey :) nice to know you are somewhere close by! Thank you for the encouragement.... I am so glad to have found this space and I look forward to learning a lot... Weirdly, I have a particular interest in low input systems due to the economy here and for broad appeal. I am using Seagrow for nutes and I don't think there is high overdose potential with that. This is my first proper grow. The last time was in between my mielies in my parent's backyard and when they went on holiday I harvested and hung the plants upside down on my ceiling fan in a curtained room... (such a novice I was that I had no buds that time lol) This time, I am growing somewhat more scientifically, but still as a rank novice. The bigger cheese and swazi plants were gifted to me as seedlings. I have subsequently started some skunk, another swazi and an amaphondo (and the amaphondo is my herb of choice). I do like some of the fancier stuff but I am keen to grow local strains for their hardiness and an ability to handle local conditions. My plants get good light all day but not a single ray of direct sunlight. Natural cycle here. I think I messed up this grow with over watering and then hasty decisions in dealing with a fungus gnat infestation, but this is a learning process :) How do you do it, Irie Lion? Did you go to the expo?

Hey Carmen! Seagrow is all good - very affordable and it will do the job. Enjoy your first grow, don't be hard on yourself if you slip up here and there - i saw with every single harvest my techniques and herb quality improved.
I did go to the cannabis expo it was lekker - very informative and there were around 100 stands to check so it was nice and busy. Unfortunately here and there were a couple stands selling some shit cbd oil or chinese LED's that will last a couple months but it was expected that there would be those type of guys around unfortunately. Either way it was awesome to see these companies thriving in South Africa due to cannabis and the indurstry.
I'm glad you are finding out more about your medium ect. as it's difficult to troubleshoot a problem if you aren't too sure what you're growing in. Your lady looks good, in the first pic your leaves are drooping - make sure you're only watering once your medium is dry.

Back
Top Bottom