Harvest a pound every three weeks! The Stinkbud way

Hello Brother Stinkbuddies, Yea I having nute burn issues my self in my stinkbud veg unit. I have two strains, Sharksbreath and NL/SK#1 cross. I've only been able to keep my nutes at 300 PPM because the SK#1 cross was burning at only 500ppm? My roots are pretty big too. The are almost touching the bottom of the Rubbermaid! It's been about a week since I lowered the nutes but I'm afraid to raise them again because the leaves are still pretty burnt. However the sharks breath could probably be over a 1000PPm right now if they were vegging all by themselves! Good Luck :peace: Spread The Love!

Make sure you trim the roots back, so they don't hang into the solution(unless you have an airstone). That is the disadvantage to running two totaly different strains in any one system. I guess you will have to find a happy medium. How big are the plants now?

hello brain i have seen the single tub set ups before,what is the reason for the second tub ? I have been thinking of making one but now i am confused.

hello brain i have seen the single tub set ups before,what is the reason for the second tub ? I have been thinking of making one but now i am confused.

The Stinkbud unit that has two tubs stacked on top of each other is for the vegetative stage. The top tub is for the plants(roots) and aero sprayer. The bottom tub houses the nute solution and pump. It is designed this way so the plants roots do not grow into the solution and grow straight down. This is so it is easy to move them into the flower unit. Hope that clears it up for you!

Thanks brain i was under the impression that you just had to change the newts
and go to 12 / 12 on your lighting for flowering. I have seen the set up you are
showing in just one tub ? so is a better way to grow ?

nute_burn_13.jpg
Make sure you trim the roots back, so they don't hang into the solution(unless you have an airstone). That is the disadvantage to running two totaly different strains in any one system. I guess you will have to find a happy medium. How big are the plants now?

Well I did a flush with Clearex and then ran the pump 24/7 with straight PHed water. It did the trick as you can see in the photos. I did take your advice and seperate my two strains. I also noticed my roots were actually going down into the veg units reservoir so I'll have to cut them. I've got one of those 8 light t-5 units. It's 4ft long and I can run 2 veg units and 1 cloner under it just fine. :thanks::peace:

I'm looking for a detailed description of how the flowering unit works, anyone?? I just don't really understand what goes on inside those fence posts?

I'm looking for a detailed description of how the flowering unit works, anyone?? I just don't really understand what goes on inside those fence posts?

Hey, man! I see ya.

Go to the Deep Water Culture Home Thread in the Deep Water Culture forum and ask about the StinkBud growing system. There are several there that use it and have mastered it.

Don't be a stranger around here.

You will have a 1/2 inch piece of PvC pipe runnining down the length of the bottom corner of each fence post. The PVC is connected to an ECO 396 pump. The PVC will have one EZ Clone (the red ones) sprayer strategically placed right near the roots of each of the 2 inch net pots on each fence post. The sprayers/pump will be on a set timer just like the veg unit. Eventually the roots will come down out of the fence post towards your reservoir. All you have to do is cut them. It doesnt hurt the plants. The Botanicare nutrient combination that the Stinkbud system uses really works great. Here is the formula for my flower room:

Botanicare Nutrients:
126ml Cal-Mag Plus
150ml Sweet
180ml Liquid Karma
540mlL Pure Bend Pro Bloom

Mix all the nutrients in a spare gallon milk container. Add water and shake well. The whole mix will take an 18 gal rez to 2900 PPM.

You need a PPM meter that goes to at least 2000 PPM.

Add about half of the mix and check your PPM. It will be low so you will have to keep adding nutrients until you get it to 2000 PPM.

It is easy to add more nutes but hard to take them out If you go over you have to drain some nute/water from the rez and add more plain water.

That's why you want take it slow at first.

I run this nutrient formula for vegetative growth:

Botanicare Nutrients:
126ML Cal-Mag Plus
180ML Liquid Karma
540ML Pure Bend Pro Vegetative Formula

I start at 1500 PPM and bring it up to 2000 PPM by the second week of veg. I change the nutrients every 3 weeks with each new crop.

I adjust my PH to 5.8
I would however suggest that you only run 1 strain per grow. The reason for this is that different strains handle different strengths of nutes. If you run 2 strains in the same system....more than likely one strain will get nute burn. PM me and I'll give you all the info you need that is on the web regarding this system:peace:

You will have a 1/2 inch piece of PvC pipe runnining down the length of the bottom corner of each fence post. The PVC is connected to an ECO 396 pump. The PVC will have one EZ Clone (the red ones) sprayer strategically placed right near the roots of each of the 2 inch net pots on each fence post. The sprayers/pump will be on a set timer just like the veg unit. Eventually the roots will come down out of the fence post towards your reservoir. All you have to do is cut them. It doesnt hurt the plants. The Botanicare nutrient combination that the Stinkbud system uses really works great. Here is the formula for my flower room:

Absolutely perfect answer, thank you! I was really confused because I knew the roots would eventually make their way towards the res and then what?

I'm still wondering though, with such an open system how do you keep the roots free of light and the system free of algae?

Absolutely perfect answer, thank you! I was really confused because I knew the roots would eventually make their way towards the res and then what?

I've modified my system a bit. I'll take some Picts. But anyways I used black fence posts and a black reservoir in which the fence post go directly into the side of the reservoir instead of just sitting in top. That way no light will leak into the res. Even with the fence posts on top, people do not seem to have any algae issues. The only issues people seem to have with this system is keeping their room temps down in order to keep the reservoirs cool and also "what the he'll am I gonna do with all of these extra clones"!

Heres an example of my modified version of the stinkbud. There was a guy named SOG that had a pretty sweet system where he used the TOugh Box instead of the rubbermade roughneck in order to get the necessary heigth to put the posts right inside the unit. So thats what I did. It's a bit more streamlined and the threaded hose nozzle to empty the res is out of the way too.
system3.jpg

system1.jpg

system_21.jpg

Very nice pics SD. I thought your rez would be bigger. Looks really nice. :peace:

Heres an example of my modified version of the stinkbud. There was a guy named SOG that had a pretty sweet system where he used the TOugh Box instead of the rubbermade roughneck in order to get the necessary heigth to put the posts right inside the unit. So thats what I did. It's a bit more streamlined and the threaded hose nozzle to empty the res is out of the way too.

Wow, nice mod. Thanks a lot I'm really getting interested in this method.

-Edited out the photos

Very nice pics SD. I thought your rez would be bigger. Looks really nice. :peace:

Thanks man, ya the res isn't huge by any means. However it does hold a little more water then the rubbermade 18 gals that the basic Stinkbud system uses. I get around 17 to 19 gals in there. When I was using the rubbermade as a reservoir I was only getting about 14 gallons.

You may see your nutrient temps rise a bit with those black pipes. Home D sells an insulation that looks like a roll of silver bubble wrap - works well for wrapping pipes to keep light and heat out.

Back
Top Bottom