HashGirl's First Indoor Grow: Dark Devil Autos In Hempy, 2020

:welcome: everyone and thank you for all the congrats on my retirement. I must admit it's a very nice feeling to be free from working. :battingeyelashes:

@stoneotter - My husband (Felonious Punk) has been growing for me since 2016 and I never wanted to learn how to grow because it all seemed so complicated what with measuring pH, PPMs, nutrients, etc.

But, I was worried that if something happened to him, I would be left without my meds so I decided I would learn how to grow, too. And, I think he's happy about it. He was a huge help yesterday when I was trying to figure out all the water stuff. :hmmmm:

And, I chose Dark Devil because it was the first "fun" strain that we grew and it's so pretty, too and it's an auto so I thought it might be easier the first time but what do I know? :laughtwo: All I know is that no one tried to talk me out of it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Anyway, nothing is showing yet this morning. Big surprise. Not. What I want to know, and the main reason I wanted to do a grow journal on 420 was because I'm going to need lots of help, is what am I supposed to do when the seed does pop? How long does it stay in the cup before moving it to the 2L pot?

:welcome: everyone and thank you for all the congrats on my retirement. I must admit it's a very nice feeling to be free from working. :battingeyelashes:

@stoneotter - My husband (Felonious Punk) has been growing for me since 2016 and I never wanted to learn how to grow because it all seemed so complicated what with measuring pH, PPMs, nutrients, etc.

But, I was worried that if something happened to him, I would be left without my meds so I decided I would learn how to grow, too. And, I think he's happy about it. He was a huge help yesterday when I was trying to figure out all the water stuff. :hmmmm:

And, I chose Dark Devil because it was the first "fun" strain that we grew and it's so pretty, too and it's an auto so I thought it might be easier the first time but what do I know? :laughtwo: All I know is that no one tried to talk me out of it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Anyway, nothing is showing yet this morning. Big surprise. Not. What I want to know, and the main reason I wanted to do a grow journal on 420 was because I'm going to need lots of help, is what am I supposed to do when the seed does pop? How long does it stay in the cup before moving it to the 2L pot?
You're at home here and there with Felonious so you're covered! No one refuses a bag on this side either. It's just so tasty and fun! Enjoy!

For Autos, it’s best to up pot before the roots get too crowded. Penny’s advice about the leaves going over the edge of the cup is good.

Transplanting a perlite hempy is very simple. Cover the hole, float the perlite, give the cup a little squeeze, wiggle/gently swish the stem a bit, and lift. Have your hole/depression in the new pot ready, gently position the roots, and cover. Done!

93DA6334-99BC-4BE8-9EC7-4EC580C57BC8.jpeg

5BCC564D-55F8-4111-802B-8317EC3D595A.jpeg

Thanks, Felipe! Love the photos. I'm definitely a visual learner and that helped.

:thanks:

Hey HG,

Would you mind explaining something for me?

What, exactly us hempy? Is it just perlite, plain and simple? If so, why is it called hempy? Is that a brand name?

I'm sorry but I've just never heard of this - or growing in straight perlite. But I suppose you must be setting us up for a hydro grow - which looks terribly interesting but I don't have the equipment to do.

Journal is looking great so far!

All my best,
~Magnus

Take a suitable plastic container - lightweight yet durable, not clear, and with no existing holes (no nursery pots). Drill a hole in the side about 2” up from the bottom, fill with your medium of choice (perlite is perfect!), plant, and fertigate every 1-3 days. The small reservoir will help to sustain the plant in-between. Hempy was the screen name of a Old days proponent of the method.

Thanks for replying to Magnus, Felipe. Since I had no idea why it was called hempy when there is no hemp involved, I was hoping someone else would answer him. :battingeyelashes:

Take a suitable plastic container - lightweight yet durable, not clear, and with no existing holes (no nursery pots). Drill a hole in the side about 2” up from the bottom, fill with your medium of choice (perlite is perfect!), plant, and fertigate every 1-3 days. The small reservoir will help to sustain the plant in-between. Hempy was the screen name of a Old days proponent of the method.
Thanks much, Felipe. Appreciate it. But just to clarify, the method uses simply perlite as a medium for a hydro grow, right? So you could have any watering system. So is hempy the name for this process with the perlite being used in this setup or is hempy the nickname for the medium no matter how your watering system is set up?

Just trying to understand so I'm not misinformed. Not trying to be a pain in the ass!

Best,
~Magnus

Hempy is really about the reservoir - it’s there, but it doesn’t require maintenance. Just fertigate until you get a good pee. I like to use a small watering can for orchids and distribute the solution across the entire surface. I believe this helps flush out stale air and bring fresh in. Pouring rapidly is easier with coarse perlite.

Hempy is really about the reservoir - it’s there, but it doesn’t require maintenance. Just fertigate until you get a good pee. I like to use a small watering can for orchids and distribute the solution across the entire surface. I believe this helps flush out stale air and bring fresh in. Pouring rapidly is easier with coarse perlite.

What does fertigate mean?

Hey HG!

I believe you mentioned that you were following Sue's instructions for working a hempy setup.

Would you mind posting a link to it if you've got one available? That would help me out with understanding what you are attempting to do
I'd really appreciate it if you could.thanks so much, HG.

All my best,
~Magnus

Back
Top Bottom