How Long Til A Bud Forms After Putting It Into The Flowering Stage?

Thanks! I'm new at growing MJ, but have grown vegetables, shrubs, and houseplants for 50 years, 46 of those here in Alaska. It's fun brainstorming with a fellow Alaskan. We face extra challenges in the Frozen North to grow good pot.

Maybe we should start a forum just for Northern growers!

Akgramma was right on about the 6th pic down Rockskipper.

I blew that pic up for a closer look and can see the balls on that one. Female flowers would be longer and slimmer and would have hairs out the top by the time they got that size. Best get that one out of there asap.

Getting good crotch shots like that one would make it easier to spot the beginning flowers for you.

I'm pretty far north at the 57th parallel and I'm working on breeding my own autoflowering beans both regular and femmed. Some good autos out there and they should be able to grow in the great wide open without all the hassles of light leaks. I have hundreds of beans from 3 strains all crossed with a nice auto called Purple Jem. Now I just have to grow a lot out and breed the ones that will flower under 24 light a couple times to get mostly auto beans.

L8r

Once I got the males out of my seeded grow and started taking clones, it was much easier going. Clones take off really fast, because they have the same genetics and timing as their mother. And it's easier to plan ahead for a perpetual grow.

Rockskipper took care of his right off, and now can concentrate on his Ladies. Once we newbies see and deal with our first male, and experience the wonder of an emerging female preflower, there is never any more confusion about them.

She looks a bit over fed to me. It might be causing the flowers to slow down a bit. I would back off on the nutrients a small amount.

0101264.JPG
0081536.JPG
Day 40

015749.JPG

There are 10 of these branchs on this plant. Each one is about 16" long. Are they going to grow into one big bud each or a bunch of small ones on the branch? The white hairs go all the way down to the main stem. ( its the Big Bud strain )

Give them time, Rockskipper. Mine looked like that, but after many weeks of waiting, they filled in, then rested for a couple weeks, then got a second wind and started growing more calyxes. You will have a cola on top, which will probably reach maturity earlier than the popcorn buds below it. I suggest you plan on doing a gradual harvest, if the temperatures hold, taking only the ripest buds first, and let the smaller ones mature.

However, as time goes on and you have no choice, because it's getting below 50 at night, a full-plant harvest will be necessary. MMJ meds are best made from "whole plant" tinctures, because they contain ALL the plant chemicals that work together to relieve pain.

If you're getting outside light (I know where you are located) the nights are still too short to induce flowering. Do you have a way to totally black out for 12 hours a day? I think we are pretty much over the hot days, and it's downhill from now on out. Time is of the essence!

Thanks Akgramma, Yea the nights are below the 50s here so I put a heater in there to keep it about 60 at night. They have benn pretty much blacked out, ( the best I can do right now, black tarp and a brown one on top of that ) for 40 days and I'm thinking they have at least 60 more days to go. ( thats going to be pushing into Oct. and we all know what can happen here in Oct.,lol ) I'm thinking I need to move it now into the garage but not sure if I can.

Also I was reading on here the differant affects of the colors of the trics.

Somewhere I read that the clear=thoughts of get up and do something, cloudy=thoughts are more of "I can make this better, amber= hey it is what it is, lol, let the world destroy itself, lol) ( thats just what I read into it,lol,) I hav'nt smoked in 30 years and even then it was'nt the smoke it is today.

But to the point I wanted to try all three of these stages to see if it is true so as to your point I believe that I will do a little at a time, ( hope I do it right.) ( If Ican keep the plants alive long enough)

I myself don't want to smoke something that makes me into a couch potato. Cheers.

029268.JPG
027295.JPG
021456.JPG

This is my other plant ( bag seed) and it is in the house, ( just brought it out for some pic,s and a little sun, lol.) all the time under a 90 watt led ufo. Its 10 days latter into flowering than the other one. ( 30 days ) not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know people are going to tell me I need more light but if it takes a little longer to bud is that a bad thing? Or am I reducing my yield?

Thanks Akgramma, Yea the nights are below the 50s here so I put a heater in there to keep it about 60 at night. They have benn pretty much blacked out, ( the best I can do right now, black tarp and a brown one on top of that ) for 40 days and I'm thinking they have at least 60 more days to go. ( thats going to be pushing into Oct. and we all know what can happen here in Oct.,lol ) I'm thinking I need to move it now into the garage but not sure if I can.

Somewhere I read that the clear=thoughts of get up and do something, cloudy=thoughts are more of "I can make this better, amber= hey it is what it is, lol, let the world destroy itself, lol) ( thats just what I read into it,lol,) I hav'nt smoked in 30 years and even then it was'nt the smoke it is today.

But to the point I wanted to try all three of these stages to see if it is true so as to your point I believe that I will do a little at a time, ( hope I do it right.) ( If Ican keep the plants alive long enough)

I myself don't want to smoke something that makes me into a couch potato. Cheers.

I would, if I were you, set up a grow area in your garage right now, so all you have to do one dark night is to move them indoors. I've seen it snow as early as Sept 5th (1992?) and it was so heavy that it bent over all the birches, broke many spruce trees in half, and downed rotten cottonwoods. I lived in the hills around Ester at that time, and remember it well! Some of the Birches never did recover from their bent positions.

You should be able to set up a perpetual grow in total privacy, and you'll have full control over the clone, veg, and flower areas. Will also be much cheaper heating the space!

Oh, and place your buckets on wheels/dollys/flatbed hand truck so you can roll them out for real sunlight now and then!

I would, if I were you, set up a grow area in your garage right now, so all you have to do one dark night is to move them indoors. I've seen it snow as early as Sept 5th (1992?) and it was so heavy that it bent over all the birches, broke many spruce trees in half, and downed rotten cottonwoods. I lived in the hills around Ester at that time, and remember it well! Some of the Birches never did recover from their bent positions.

You should be able to set up a perpetual grow in total privacy, and you'll have full control over the clone, veg, and flower areas. Will also be much cheaper heating the space!

Oh, and place your buckets on wheels/dollys/flatbed hand truck so you can roll them out for real sunlight now and then!

Oh and just to set your mind at ease, I'm just beginning to harvest colas from my OG Kush (Sativa ancestry) and it took FOREVER to get to any harvest at all. Since my old eyes can't tell cloudy from clear trics, even with a 40X loupe, I had a relative test-smoke a bud fresh off my !st lady, and he said they were ready. It was 90% amber hairs, and probably well over 50% cloudy trich, plus she has her second wind and is filling in the rest of the buds with new calyxes. This is after 100 days in flower!

Well, I'm in no hurry, and I have clones for backup, so eventually I'll have good control over the timing of the harvests. If all goes well, I'll have a plant or two mature to the medicinal stage, and that will be used in tinctures and oils, since I don't smoke.

Yea I was moose hunting 100 miles up a river when that snow storm hit and was racing time to get out of there, lol.

I believe that these will go at least 100 days if not alot more.

Yea I was moose hunting 100 miles up a river when that snow storm hit and was racing time to get out of there, lol.

LOL! Another Sourdough, eh? I've been in Alaska at total of 46 years (there was a 2-year break), so have seen a lot of change in the weather. We'll be growing palm trees and MJ outdoors year-round in a decade or two! J/K

As Weasel said (approximately): Sometimes you have to call an end to the maturation process, to get what you want. I never really ended mine, just took the ripest colas. I am in the process of transplanting two of my Ladies in flower into 6 gallon bins. HOLY CRAP were they potbound! No wonder they kept wilting! I had them in 3 gallon nursery pots. Experimenting with one, which I'm training into a humongous Mother. :rofl:

Termination dust!

LOL! Another Sourdough, eh? I've been in Alaska at total of 46 years (there was a 2-year break), so have seen a lot of change in the weather. We'll be growing palm trees and MJ outdoors year-round in a decade or two! J/K

As Weasel said (approximately): Sometimes you have to call an end to the maturation process, to get what you want. I never really ended mine, just took the ripest colas. I am in the process of transplanting two of my Ladies in flower into 6 gallon bins. HOLY CRAP were they potbound! No wonder they kept wilting! I had them in 3 gallon nursery pots. Experimenting with one, which I'm training into a humongous Mother. :rofl:

Since 64 here with a 10 year break from 1980-1990 southern calif if you can believe that lol. ( I was in Salcha at the time of that storm, 24" of wet stuff in 24 hours.)

And yes iwitfum that white stuff is fatal. LOL.

Quick up date, 48 days into flowering, ( those slats are 2 feet apart so it gives you some kinda idea how big they are )
0081548.JPG
0032333.JPG
0061826.JPG

The small one has been in seclusion and thought I'd bring her out into the real world, lol.

Looks like you have a long ways to go, Rockskipper. I had to wait 101 days in flower before mine were ready to harvest, and they are much smaller, due to training. Now the clones...... I had to force them back into veg because they wanted to flower right away. But they're not big enough to support colas.

Will you be able to bring them indoors to finish? It's getting too cold for them in the shed, and it's going to be too expensive to heat.

BTW, I am harvesting my buds as they mature. Have cut three tiers of buds so far. In a few days, the rest of the buds on my originals from seed will be totally harvested. After that, it's a perpetual grow using just clones.

Yea I figure I can heat the GH for about another month and am starting to build a 4 foot deep-6 foot wide and 8 foot tall closet lined with foil backed 1" insulation. ( keep the garage at around 55 degrees ) The one thing I'm kinda worried about is when I pull the truck in and out of the garage. (the exsaust from the truck) Not to worried about the heat when the door opens because its only open for a cople of minutes and the heat from the bulbs should keep it from to much of a temp. change.

I could leave the truck outside, but dang it, I'm disabled and going outside to a cold truck in the winter is no fun, lol. At the same time I don't want to kill these after so much work.

Trial and error up here, wish me luck.

You could close off and cover your new grow room when you start the truck, or, better yet, use one of those flexible exhaust tubes that repair garages use, to pipe the truck exhaust out a window or vent. I don't think you want your grow to taste and smell like hydrocarbons. LOL!

PEACEFUL CO-EXISTENCE!!!!!

I well know the cold truck feeling Rockskipper. I'm just south of 60 in Alberta. Been working the rigs as a water hauler since '01. Building ice roads etc too. Was running Super Bs hauling oil the last job for a couple years then ran into health problems so haven't worked the last 2.

Only been to AK once and that was at the base of the panhandle when I went up to Stewart, BC for a final interview in Oct. '90 to do environmental monitoring at a gold mine near there. Flew into Terrace then had to drive through Hyder, AK then up in the mountains a bit and across the border back into BC to the mine site. Wanted to move up there so bad but the other guy got the job. I did get Hyderized at the Glacier Inn on the way back from the interview and got some great salmon fishing in near Terrace, BC. I took my big fly rod and a baitcaster up with me and they let me keep the rental car an extra day. :)

I could have been happy there fishing my life away. lol

L8r

Back
Top Bottom