HutchBenedict Grows Ace Seeds Purple Haze x Malawi

HutchBenedict

Hello 420mag folks!

I am about to grow out a tropical sativa hybrid from Ace Seeds and have decided to create a journal specific to this plant.

1597342991502.png

The growing medium will be Promix HP as I am familiar with growing in this medium. It is easy to use, very forgiving and generally does not require PH'ing.

For pot size I am thinking either 3 gallon or 5 gallon. I'm worried a five gallon may make the plant size difficult to control in my smallish tent.

Tent size. I will be growing a single plant in a 32"x32"x70". I will be doing my best to keep the plant as short as possible as I understand these plants can really grow tall. I think the tallest plant I've grown has been about 3.5 feet. I'd like to get this to about 5 feet.

For nutes I will be using Megacrop from beginning to end. I am using the ground-up version. As an aside, the sales rep told me that the ground-up version would probably be discontinued as they weren't happy with it. Anyway, I'm very happy with it.

For lighting I will be using a TS1000 clone with 150W from the wall. This is a cheapo light with cheap diodes and off-label driver. My brief testing indicates it will be plenty bright and not too hot though without an extraction fan the tent reached almost 90F during a local heat wave. I have installed a 6" fan/filter affair and temps seem fine now.

Training will be limited to a single topping followed by light LST. I will tie down the four main branches as they become long enough. There will be minimal defoliation, mainly in the lower portion to provide airflow.

Here are the details on this hybrid:
"Purple Haze x Malawi is an old school F1 pure sativa hybrid, with strong Purple Haze dominance and improved vigour, yield, potency and the giant trichomes from our Malawi.
In order to create this spectacular sativa, our best Purple Haze was pollinated by the killer Malawi. The powerful african genes add a new dimension to the super sativa Haze concept, creating one of our most interesting 'sativa Haze' hybrids
."

PurpleHazeMalawicannabinoides.jpg

PurpleHazeMalawiterpenos.jpg

I love that Ace publishes the test results, especially the terpene analysis.

I ordered a three-pack of seeds using a regular Visa credit card and they arrived after about three to four weeks. I soaked a single seed in a shot glass for around 24 hours and then transferred it to a paper towel. By the next day it had hatched and had a short tail.
Day 00.JPG

Good enough for me I planted it in a solo cup with Promix HP and by the next day it had started to emerge.
Day 0-1.JPG

Day 01-1.JPG

Yesterday was day 2
Day 02.JPG

Today, day 3, I have had to turn on the blurple on the veg light as other plants in the veg tent needed more light so she has gone from 12,500 LUX to 18,000 LUX but she seems to be responding well.

Take care, and thanks for dropping by!

Hiya Hutch.
We were discussing Promix today on Shed's journal. Here's a link to a post that has some good info re expiry dates too.

Hiya Hutch.
We were discussing Promix today on Shed's journal. Here's a link to a post that has some good info re expiry dates too.
Very interesting! Now I have to go down to the basement and look at the date on the bale I just bought. This may explain some of the problems I had this Spring. I was attributing my problems to getting near the bottom of my Megacrop bag and those calcium balls being out of proportion to the rest.

Ace Seeds Purple Haze x Malawi, update August 22, 2020

Day 04-1.JPG

Day 4

Day 04-2.JPG

Day 4

Day 05-1.JPG

Day 5

Day 05-2.JPG

Day 5

Day 8-1.JPG

Day 8

Day 8-2.JPG

Day 8

Day 12-1.JPG

Day 12

Day 12-2.JPG

Day 12

Day 12-3.JPG

Day 12

She has been chugging along under about 195 LUX blurple. She drinks about 100ml of water every three days spiked with 2 grams Megacrop per gallon.

This plant, being a 100% sativa, will probably want to stretch fast and tall. Therefore I need to make some decisions - when to top? how often to top? when to transplant? pot size? multiple transplants? when to flip?

Here are my preliminary thoughts, sound like a plan?

a) Top when fifth node can be removed. Day 15 or so.
b) Just top once and then tie down, minimal defoliation
c) Transplant around day 21
d) Grow in 5 gallon pot, 3 probably too small and 7 gallon would get out of control
e) Transplant just once, solo cup to the 5 gallon
f) Flip two days after transplant, around day 23-25

I would like her to stay under about 40" tall so my understanding is that I should allow little or no veg cycle. Hopefully 3+ weeks is not too much.

Thanks for dropping by!

This plant, being a 100% sativa, will probably want to stretch fast and tall.
Plan on tripling the height with a true sativa when you go to flower.
I would like her to stay under about 40" tall
I'll be running a Cambodian down the road which is 140 days until flower but with the proper training I'm hoping to keep it short but get the most bud sites too. Have you tried LST as a simple training method? My apologies if you have. Something that would probably help you though.

Aha! Nevermind. I answered my own question when seeing your last post a few minutes ago in your other journal. :high-five:
Haha, yes I do LST. I'll bend her over when she's tall enough and tie down branches in an effort to fill the top of the pot with a good base of horizontal growth. Do you think I need to finish this training while she is still in veg? To get a nice base will probably take 3-4 weeks.

Do you think I need to finish this training while she is still in veg?
I'm a firm believer in not causing the least bit of stress to a plant when in flower. So this means I'll remove any branches I don't think will make it to the canopy plus a light defol on the lower leaves. All my training will be done before flip. If I have a runner during flower I'll tie it down but for the most part they all end up close to the same height.
Although LST is low stress the stress part is still there. Hermie's I don't need. :)
So that's my thought on it. I usually do this a few days before I flip so it gives the plant plenty of time to recover.

I'm a firm believer in not causing the least bit of stress to a plant when in flower. So this means I'll remove any branches I don't think will make it to the canopy plus a light defol on the lower leaves. All my training will be done before flip. If I have a runner during flower I'll tie it down but for the most part they all end up close to the same height.
Although LST is low stress the stress part is still there. Hermie's I don't need. :)
So that's my thought on it. I usually do this a few days before I flip so it gives the plant plenty of time to recover.
Those are good points. Now that you mention it I did a lot of LST after the flip on my Critical Purple Kush last spring and I believe it had the effect of stunting the plant completely. That's not what I'm looking for! So I'll take that option off the table.

I was able to get at the fifth node to remove it this morning so we'll just see how it grows from there. I'll go back to my original plan of just tying down the first four branches after they grow out. This will add a couple of weeks to the veg stage but should be enough to provide an adequate base.

Day 16-1.JPG
Day 16-2.JPG
Day 16-3.JPG

PHxM day 16. Topped above the fourth node.

Back
Top Bottom