Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Highya HM,

Love the story!! Very fascinating prose. I'm seriously glad I don't have your trim chore!! I'm not cut out for that grueling job!! Used to be. So, 5 pounds + is worth it all. I'll take your word for it, lol. My hat's off to ya!! Great job getting to the big 5.0! Happy Smokin'

Thanks buddy, I truly appreciate the compliment and all the encouragement along the way! It's cool to hit the goal for sure. $$$$$

Take this joint, hit it, and pass it back...to yourself! Next grow should be more cool fun!

Peace, Hyena

Congratulations on the new benchmark Hyena! I just finished harvesting 7 plants from my 5x5 tent. It’s funny you forget what it’s like trimming endlessly and think as you saddle up for the next one: it wasn’t THAT bad, it was kind of therapeutic...mixed with the euphoria of harvesting and the reward of all the previous work... until you finish the first plant after 2-3hrs and look down the barrell of a lineup more waiting.

But then it is all over as it always comes to an end and that cold beer never tastes so good as you look out over your defeated hanging buds victoriously!

I admire your work ethic putting in back to back to back days of solo trimming every harvest and then coming back for more every time!

Congratulations on the new benchmark Hyena! I just finished harvesting 7 plants from my 5x5 tent. It’s funny you forget what it’s like trimming endlessly and think as you saddle up for the next one: it wasn’t THAT bad, it was kind of therapeutic...mixed with the euphoria of harvesting and the reward of all the previous work... until you finish the first plant after 2-3hrs and look down the barrell of a lineup more waiting.

But then it is all over as it always comes to an end and that cold beer never tastes so good as you look out over your defeated hanging buds victoriously!

I admire your work ethic putting in back to back to back days of solo trimming every harvest and then coming back for more every time!

THANKS DeeCee, you put the entire thing in absolute perspective...trimming a harvest truly is something so tedious you almost want to forget how much of a hassle it is. Like you said, the first plant jolts you back into brutal reality. There really was no feeling of depression like looking at the eleven still left.

Also so true, the feeling of victory at the end is absolutely worth it! Thanks for being there and wow, only six weeks until another ridiculous session...crazy.

Peace, Hyena

Find a comfortable spot to trim and it makes it a lot easier for me. I’d be lost without my trim bin.

I’d be lost without my toms trimmer. :rofl:

A week long adventure turned into a couple hours a week or better apart. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I love a nice hand trim, but damn the time/back/neck saving is more than worth it.

THANKS DeeCee, you put the entire thing in absolute perspective...trimming a harvest truly is something so tedious you almost want to forget how much of a hassle it is. Like you said, the first plant jolts you back into brutal reality. There really was no feeling of depression like looking at the eleven still left.

Also so true, the feeling of victory at the end is absolutely worth it! Thanks for being there and wow, only six weeks until another ridiculous session...crazy.

Peace, Hyena
I honestly don't know how you do it brother!! I hate hate hate hate hate hate trimming. A perpetual makes it a little easier....but even then it sucks ass. I guess its 6 one way and half a dozen the other.....a dozen plants trimmed in a few days in a row or a dozen plants spread out over 10 weeks.....its still a dozen plants. Get it over and be done with it....or have to do one or two plants a week....either way still sucks.

I honestly don't know how you do it brother!! I hate hate hate hate hate hate trimming. A perpetual makes it a little easier....but even then it sucks ass. I guess its 6 one way and half a dozen the other.....a dozen plants trimmed in a few days in a row or a dozen plants spread out over 10 weeks.....its still a dozen plants. Get it over and be done with it....or have to do one or two plants a week....either way still sucks.

You know, the thing I've come to respect the most is the amazing amount of time and effort it takes to grow any weed that's truly dank. Every really good nug anyone smokes, well, someone else had to make it and that took time and love love love.

If only they knew. :ganjamon:

Peace, Hyena

I’d be lost without my toms trimmer. :rofl:

A week long adventure turned into a couple hours a week or better apart. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I love a nice hand trim, but damn the time/back/neck saving is more than worth it.

Sooooo...it gives ya respectable results? I'm open to the idea...

Peace, Hyena

Sooooo...it gives ya respectable results? I'm open to the idea...

Peace, Hyena

Yes it does. It was a change to my then current process, but it was doable. Drying can be fickle. Not because it's any more difficult or different, but timing is the thing since it's a dry trim vs wet. Nailing that down is the key. After all the stuff you've already figured out, up to and including hauling water quietly to the attic :rofl:, it shouldn't be too bad to figure out.

As for the quality of the trim, it's really very, very good for not being hand trimmed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

What I like about it is that it's not shaving off bud. You dry it so the leaves are dry (bud should still be 55%-60% at that point), and then they just crumble off as the buds tumble. I also looked at a trimpro, but as you shave the sugar leaves off, the trichs from them that scatter from the cut get everywhere. End result is a lot of maintenance and cleaning on the motor.

It also doesn't end up looking like (or being) shaved bud, and they still retain their individual shape. Of the 9 plants I've run through it so far, 7 trimmed out great. The other 2 weren't quite dry enough. One tumbled ok, but got maybe 65%-70% of it. The other was more like 20% off, barely made a dent.

I could have dried the buds for a bit and tried again, but I just put them into the bucket for curing, and have trimmed them as needed. Not really a big deal, and not an issue with the trimmer. Had I waited a day or so more, it would have been fine.

As long as it's dried right, it will get 98% or better of the leaves, save for maybe the occasional crows foot or stem left over from a defoliation at some point. It doesn't bother me much, and they pick off easy enough.

The time and sore back/shoulders/hands it saves me is so worth it. It was taking me about 6 hours per big plant. Really big and it was 8 or more. (I'm not the worlds fastest trimmer, but not the slowest either.)

Now it takes about 20 minutes per plant to chop and hang. Then 30 minutes or so per plant to buck them down after drying, and I just toss the buds into the tumbler as I go. Then a 5-10 minute tumble, and into a bucket to cure. It's not completely effortless, but it saves a ton of time. One of the best things I've purchased for the garden, hands down.

As much as you're processing, a TTT2100 would probably be a sweet spot between capacity and price. It can run 1-3 pounds at a time, and takes about 5 minutes. It has a DC motor and speed controller. It's on sale for $1499. The 1900 does 1-2 pounds per batch, for $300 less.

Customer service is top notch. I called with a question recently, and got a voice mail. Didn't leave a message, but got a call back about 30 minutes later from the company owner. Very, very nice guy. It's quite obvious that he really loves what he's doing.

You shouldn't have a problem finding the Tom's Tumbler site with a search engine, if not, just holler.

Yes it does. It was a change to my then current process, but it was doable. Drying can be fickle. Not because it's any more difficult or different, but timing is the thing since it's a dry trim vs wet. Nailing that down is the key. After all the stuff you've already figured out, up to and including hauling water quietly to the attic :rofl:, it shouldn't be too bad to figure out.

As for the quality of the trim, it's really very, very good for not being hand trimmed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

What I like about it is that it's not shaving off bud. You dry it so the leaves are dry (bud should still be 55%-60% at that point), and then they just crumble off as the buds tumble. I also looked at a trimpro, but as you shave the sugar leaves off, the trichs from them that scatter from the cut get everywhere. End result is a lot of maintenance and cleaning on the motor.

It also doesn't end up looking like (or being) shaved bud, and they still retain their individual shape. Of the 9 plants I've run through it so far, 7 trimmed out great. The other 2 weren't quite dry enough. One tumbled ok, but got maybe 65%-70% of it. The other was more like 20% off, barely made a dent.

I could have dried the buds for a bit and tried again, but I just put them into the bucket for curing, and have trimmed them as needed. Not really a big deal, and not an issue with the trimmer. Had I waited a day or so more, it would have been fine.

As long as it's dried right, it will get 98% or better of the leaves, save for maybe the occasional crows foot or stem left over from a defoliation at some point. It doesn't bother me much, and they pick off easy enough.

The time and sore back/shoulders/hands it saves me is so worth it. It was taking me about 6 hours per big plant. Really big and it was 8 or more. (I'm not the worlds fastest trimmer, but not the slowest either.)

Now it takes about 20 minutes per plant to chop and hang. Then 30 minutes or so per plant to buck them down after drying, and I just toss the buds into the tumbler as I go. Then a 5-10 minute tumble, and into a bucket to cure. It's not completely effortless, but it saves a ton of time. One of the best things I've purchased for the garden, hands down.

As much as you're processing, a TTT2100 would probably be a sweet spot between capacity and price. It can run 1-3 pounds at a time, and takes about 5 minutes. It has a DC motor and speed controller. It's on sale for $1499. The 1900 does 1-2 pounds per batch, for $300 less.

Customer service is top notch. I called with a question recently, and got a voice mail. Didn't leave a message, but got a call back about 30 minutes later from the company owner. Very, very nice guy. It's quite obvious that he really loves what he's doing.

You shouldn't have a problem finding the Tom's Tumbler site with a search engine, if not, just holler.

Well if you need 6-8 hours per plant it's a career so I see how the Tom's could change things.

I have started using a dehumidifier in an enclosed room to get the buds just the right dryness and I feel I dialed it in this time...the Trimbag uses the same principle plus a mildly abrasive cloth inner liner that also does real nice work if the leaf tips are crispy. But the Trimbag won't do completely untrimmed buds very well even if the leaves are crisp, it requires some pre-trimming and that's the time waster.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into a Tom's.

Peace, Hyena

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into a Tom's.

You’re welcome. If you’re set up with humidity control, you’ll be set pretty sweet. I’m watching the space humidity in my drying tent right now. It just hit 60% today, so it’s real close and I’m watching it like a hawk.

Well wellllllll...it's time for the slightly delayed

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

I actually went up Monday and here it is Friday...sorry I've been busy okay? :lot-o-toke:

Mainly smoking the weed I just harvested...OMG I have been so forking high and this pure Indica is the real deal. I have never wanted to watch movies so much and snacking seems to be creeping into every daily activity. I decided to keep one pound for me and my friends and of course those stupid ziplock seals break frequently which necessitates a bag change. No saying my stuff is sticky, but here's what a pound looks like when you cut off the bag...

It's a canna-loaf. Mmmmmm.

But I had to get working in the GH...

So the girls in Tent #1 have been flowering for two weeks now and yes, Ma Nature still working right on schedule.

Already popping everywhere. Wow what a frisky pair of varieties these two plants are. Two which became twelve...

Great development of loads of closely-spaced bud sites is a truly great feature of this Incredible Bulk. I got literally five pounds from the last harvest and these look to be just as healthy. Very excited. They are also very low-worry plants, as the 55-gallon reservoir has been under 10 gallons both of the past two times I have visited...yes they are drinking almost 50 gallons a week! So, the PH and PPM both fluctuate wildly every 7 days...with nary a single bad leaf tip. Amazing.

But the other tent was empty and ready for a new family to move in so here we went with the planting! The clones looked a little bit careworn compared to other runs:

However, things are going just fine!

Got this clone thing nailed at this point. Three runs now and I haven't even lost one clone!

My new, even-better, newer-and-improved planting technique proved to be the best yet! I filled my bags with freshly-washed Hydroton balls ("Always wash your balls"...thanks, Ma) and dropped them into the buckets. Then, inserted an empty net pot and filled the rest up around it.

Then it's easy as pie to drop in the clone root mass, add more clay balls, and...

Then you're done! It really is half as hard as the way I did it before.

We all learn more. Every time!
:hmmmm:

So the whole room all back on automatic, with a new little family and a lot of love.

I always start a couple extra and I'm leaving them going for another week, just on the random and unlikely chance that one of the planted ones croaks. Sad to see the ones that didn't make the Hyena's List. The List is life...

Oh well. The great thing about cloning is I didn't even waste two seeds.

So I'll continue to run live smoke tests on my product even though I know it's fire. I plan on getting nothing done again this weekend. Then drive back up Monday for the next session. It's boring to drive for 3 hours straight but it's important to stay alert for deer...

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

I love your updates!! Always interesting! Great business model for anyone wanting to grow like that! Bootstrings kind of thing. Have a relaxing weekend!! Happy Smokin'

Thank You Hyena Merica, Mr. Merica! I finally finished both of your Journals, the knowledge I have gained...I feel a Diploma from Hyenas Grow Pages is almost necessary...I am now armed with years of experience/ knowledge to push forward into the unknown with vigour, and growth. I was wondering how to set up a semi automated system, I now have options with proven methods...soil will be a thing of the past soon?
Anyways thanks to you! and @multiVortex for the link to this here thread! I’m on my first grow now. The tops of my plants have just reached the scrog net, and I kind of feel I know what to do after watching/reading you scrog for the last few years: compressed into 1 month of reading your fabulous journals...while smoking piles of cannabis, and drinking copious quantities of caffeine.
Congratulations on the 5lb harvest! I might go buy some Terpinator on Monday? Also does your Wife know she’s Mrs. Merica? :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom