Keffkas Seedsman Comparative: Purple Ghost Candy

Nice little growth spurt over night. The tallest one needs water again already. They’ll (mostly) be ready to come out of their container some time this week. I want the plants out of these cups before their roots begin circling.
IMG_7664.jpeg
IMG_7665.jpeg

Growers will notice the plants are on the lighter side. This is intentional. I have them in a very low nutrient content mix currently. I want the plant to have a reason to signal to the myco it needs help. This also helps when transplanting. If a plant has all it needs where it’s at, there’s no incentive to branch out into a new container. Keeping them slightly underfed will motivate them to jump out of their container and into the fertile soil I will provide.

Good morning from the happy sprouts! Watered three cups last night. There’s some slight correlations between mulching and watering as well as cups with holes in the side and watering, with one outlier.

IMG_7682.jpeg

IMG_7683.jpeg

Good morning from the happy sprouts! Watered three cups last night. There’s some slight correlations between mulching and watering as well as cups with holes in the side and watering, with one outlier.

IMG_7682.jpeg

IMG_7683.jpeg
Interesting. I don't usually mulch seedlings that early, wanting to keep the wetness down lower for the roots to chase early. No science behind that that I know of, but it also helps me judge the moisture at the soil surface easier.

Also, I use 9oz clear cups in an opaque one so I can watch the roots develop. I find it's usually about 10 days before I start seeing roots down into the reservoir (SIPs obv :laughtwo:) and then they explode out all over.

I'm interested in your experiment and conclusions. :green_heart:

Wish you'd upload your photos to the gallery and label them @Keffka
I'm trying to follow, but when I hover over, the description shows DSC_13928745 or whatever
Not trying to be a PITA, I don't have to try to do that lol :ganjamon:

lol I’ve only ever used the site from mobile so I’m not sure what non mobile layouts look like but I’ll start using the gallery if it makes it easier

Growing fast :headbanger:

Thanks Wak? Derp? 🤣

Good aeration in the mix is key to this. Any time I see growers with tiny sprouts that are more than 10 days old I inquire about their aeration. If you can give those baby roots a nice light and airy mix to cut through fast, they get big quick

Day 13. Bumped the water ppms up to 60, the plants are asking for more, you’ll see it in the images. Watered everyone. I will be preparing containers for transplanting which will start happening this weekend. Once they hit their containers and settle we will see them explode in vibrance and growth.

Everyone is going to go into a one gallon with a couple special blend layers that will let me keep running water only. I should have more than enough amendments on hand to finish everyone top shelf quality.

I’ll post the recipes of my container layers and blends once I decide who is getting what.

Everyone loved their Hydrolyzed fish watering last night. I turned the fan up a bit higher and added a second unit so I threw some supports down for the taller plants. When the fan hit a couple of them they’d blow over and almost touch the soil so I just put a piece of garden wire in front or on their side to act as a support.

IMG_7691.jpeg

IMG_7692.jpeg

That's a sweet 13 day look!

Thanks Stone! I’m antsy to get them into their veg containers so I can see what they truly look like.

Observers will note that I haven’t given my plants much of anything in the way of nutrients but they’re still growing aggressively. I can’t emphasize enough how important aeration is. It’s so important I don’t even tamp my containers down any more. Anyone paying attention will notice when I initiated these cups they were all filled almost to the top. They will settle themselves. If you tamp down, the soil will still settle, except you now run the risk of compaction

Day 14 wake up. Keen observers will notice the tallest plant looks a little sad. What is actually occurring is the soil has not warmed up enough yet. My monitor says it’s around 75F in the soil in this image. Once the soil temps reach around 80F the PGCs pick right back up.

Here’s a shot of the plants this morning now that the soil is warmed and they’re working. Transplant imminent. These plants are almost perfect. Just hungry enough to force them to search the soil aggressively, and in the process, branching and building roots.

IMG_7705.jpeg

IMG_7707.jpeg

I snuck in and took a picture of them sleeping 🥸

IMG_7714.jpeg

The tallest plant has already almost drained its cup. You can see the quality structure of the leaves. All of the PGCs are going to get a stronger blend since they’re all asking for it. I also picked up some rabbit compost today and will be using that as well.

IMG_7709.jpeg

Cannabis loves Rabbit Manure and these rabbits are locally raised on alfalfa which gives us all the benefits of the manure plus the triacontanol readied for our use. Should see some wonderful growth

Prepping the containers and soil. I’ll be using one gallon fabrics

IMG_7720.jpeg

I am currently in the process of setting up my own worm farm

IMG_7719.jpeg

However, the castings won’t be ready for a few months so I had to buy another bag for this grow. Wiggle Worm is a decent brand for a decent price. As long as your castings are moist and fresh when you buy them they should be good.

IMG_7716.jpeg

I pull some out and set them to the side to dry. During the grow I will sprinkle a little bit of dried castings every week just to keep calcium and a bit of life flowing down through the container.

I have 7 one gallon bags to fill so I will be making 7 gallons by mixing 3.5 gallons of soil with 3.5 gallons of castings.

IMG_7717.jpeg

After that’s mixed up a bit I’ll add in 1.25 gallons of perlite for aeration

IMG_7722.jpeg

I’ll mix that all up together and gauge its moisture level. I want the mix moist not wet. If needed I’ll add a bit of water to kick everything off and let that sit overnight. Tomorrow I will build the containers for the transplants and the following day I will transplant.

Back
Top Bottom