LKABudMan - Kush Mints, Coco, In The Vivosun vGrow Smart Grow Box

Vivosun vGrow Smart Grow Box *Prototype V2*
Cannapot Kush Mints fem photo (Moira)
*** Harvest Update ***

Date: 3/31/24 - Day# 137 - Flip day# 98 - Flower Day# 82 *** Harvest Day ***
Medium: 3G pot w/ Coco
Nutrients: 4MC+1BE+1MgS = 95N-62P-206K-94Ca-58Mg-89s
Light: 50% Flowering spectrum 11/13 (30DLI)
Circulation: 8/10
Exhaust: 55%RH day / 42% RH night

Yesterday I found a couple of hours to harvest Moira. I had been giving her just enough nutrients to keep her going, the last day giving her straight water. In the end her res was almost dry for the first time all grow.
Moira Feeding Tracker.png
I chopped her branch-by-branch, hanging the branches as I removed them. I started with the smaller inner branches, really getting a good look at her main colas. When I was done she looked like a living mobile hanging in my office ;)

Then I took her downstairs and my wife and I cleaned her up. She didn't have many long fans left, mostly just leaves coming from the bottom of the bud. It was much easier to clean her up by hand, grabbing the leaf as close to the bud as possible and pulling down/sideways. Most of the time they come out clean really easily. Occasionally, you'll pull the whole top of the bud off (oops). I only had a couple of those, though, and I used my trimmers a couple of times.

In the vGrow, though, there is only so much you can grow. In a little more than an hour we had three hangers of trimmed bud. One of those was smaller/inner branches, but the other two had some big heavy buds on them. All of it it sicky and smells great. It made for some nice finger hash after, too :roorrip:

I considered drying in the vGrow, as it has a drying mode built in. I could just turn it to 60/60 with low circulation and let it go. However, my drying closet has a dedicated A/C vent, which is needed right now. I could take the vGrow into the closet, but for what? I've gotten good at controlling that closet as close to 60/60 as possible with very little effort and it's always worked well for me. So I'm just drying in the closet as usual. I expect 12-14 days before they're dryed to 60%ish and ready to be bucked/bagged/weighed.

This morning I cleaned up the vGrow. When I moved the pot you could see the root mat that was above the wicks, and the wicks had roots in them hanging down into the res. That wasn't a problem for me because I used the SCROG net and couldn't moved the pot anyways. The res, never having been washed/drained for the entire 137 day grow, had a nice layer of dark slime on the bottom. It didn't smell bad, though, just nutrient gunk. The whole res pulled right out of the vGrow, and I took it to the kitchen sink and cleaned it up. Then I wiped down the walls and cleaned up the bottom. It's ready for the next grow, as soon as I figure out what to grow in there ;)

#vivosun #vGrow #lovewhatyougrow

:thanks:
Clear trichs aside that plant looks done and dusted!
Thanks Shed, and I agree. Once the top leaves start browning, I know it's only a matter of time before the bud starts. It was definitely time.
Looks done enough to me if your happy with it? :love: 🤠 Are you going to put another mother in there, for cuttings? :cheesygrinsmiley:🤗
Thanks GW. I'm thinking of growing another photo mother in there, but I had better make a decision soon :)
Those clubs look heavy!
Thanks SO, her main colas were thick and heavy. I'm very interested in getting a weight in a couple of weeks.
That girl is meaty! Thick all over! :circle-of-love:
Thanks RSR. Part of that is that I trimmed off most everything except the main colas. I treated the clones in the 5x5 the same and they're rewarding me for it :)

hanks RSR. Part of that is that I trimmed off most everything except the main colas. I treated the clones in the 5x5 the same and they're rewarding me for it :)
Are the buds the same in both grows? :hmmmm: Just wondering if the differences in the way they are being grown is showing at all, other than the RDWC getting larger?:hmmmm::rolleyes::)

Are the buds the same in both grows? :hmmmm: Just wondering if the differences in the way they are being grown is showing at all, other than the RDWC getting larger?:hmmmm::rolleyes::)
The buds are very similar to this point, at a scale. The buds in the RDWC 5x5 are a LOT bigger, maybe a bit fuller as well. Different systems, nutrients, lights, etc, and those clones in the RDWC look turbo-charged right now :) I think they have larf bigger than Moira's buds :rofl:

Nice grow BudMan!

And I'm glad I got to see the bottom of that pot and the wicking lines! :Rasta:

Congratulations on the end of the inaugural run of the vGrow Smart Grow Box from those great folks at @VIVOSUN! The harvest looks even better than when it was growing and the mobile you created would be a proud addition hanging above any baby's crib.

And that grow box cleans up nice too!

:bravo:
Thanks Shed. It was a fun grow and pretty easy. I'm itching to get another mother in there ;)

Nice grow BudMan!

And I'm glad I got to see the bottom of that pot and the wicking lines! :Rasta:
Thanks GDB. The bottom of the res could have used a wash/rinse for sure. Of course, that's hard to do with a scrog and without moving the pot. Even though I couldn't see them, I assumed roots were in the wick/res. I just didn't move the pot for all of late veg & flower so it was never an issue ;)

Thanks GDB. The bottom of the res could have used a wash/rinse for sure. Of course, that's hard to do with a scrog and without moving the pot. Even though I couldn't see them, I assumed roots were in the wick/res. I just didn't move the pot for all of late veg & flower so it was never an issue ;)
The escaping roots sure didn't seem to be an issue, BudMan! You got her home in fine shape!

That's why I...

:green_heart: Love What You Grow :green_heart:

Thanks for a comprehensive thread.

I can’t believe anyone haven’t asked. How much was the yield?
Ha, as you were typing this I was bucking Moira's buds and getting her final weight. I don't take initial weights and estimates, instead preferring to wait until she is dried and bagged.

Vivosun vGrow Smart Grow Box *Prototype V2*
Cannapot Kush Mints fem photo (Moira)
*** Final Harvest Update ***

Days from seed: 137
Flip days: 98
Flower days: 82
Drying Days: 14
Final Weight: 134g (4.7oz)

After 14 days in the drying closet at as close to 60f/60% as I could keep it, on Sunday 4/14 I pulled Moira out and bucked the buds off the stems. She still smelled incredible and was really sticky.

The buds are in a 1/2lb Grove bag, reading around 58% RH. She weighed in at 134g, or about 4.7oz. Not bad for an 18x18 (2.25 sqft) grow box and never taking the light above 75%. She already smokes pretty smooth, with a nice minty aftertaste I don't really get in the smell. She has a nice buzz too, starting in the head and then settling in the body. She's going to make some great edibles! Well, her and her clones ;)

Lessons learned for next time:
  • I didn't wash or buffer the coco. I re-hydrated the dried brick of coco with cal-mag and put it in a pot. I got away with it... mostly. Next time I'll properly wash&buffer the coco, or buy it that way.
  • I didn't top the pot with anything. When I took the root ball out, the bottom half was pretty solid. The top half of the coco was dry and loose, with only a few feeder/air roots going to the bottom. Next time I'll top the pot, probably with garden fabric+river rocks, to keep the moisture closer to the top.
  • I'll continue top-watering the coco for the first couple of weeks. Then, I'll only put about 1 liter in the base at a time. Until the plant is drinking over 1 liter/day, then I'll fill up the base and go from there.
  • At the end of the grow, I may start top-watering again. This time, as she slowed down the res got out of whack (low pH). She started drinking more as I top-watered. Or... this setup may be perfect for droughting. We'll see how I feel with the next one ;)
I am very impressed with the @VIVOSUN vGrow. The self-watering swick base worked really well. All the other automation made the rest really easy as well. You can tell they've put a lot of thought into the system. They just came out with the USB powered irrigation kit (plugs into the vGrow and can be set from the app), and I know the DWC integration is right behind that. They're also working on humidifiers and temperature control. I can't wait to see the gadgets they come out with next :)

I just got the seeds for the next grow and dropped one in a plug yesterday. I'll start a new grow journal soon for that, the next mother for the vGrow. Thanks for following along with this journal and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Check out my signature for other grows I have going, including the 5x5 Kush Mints clones from Moira. Thanks again to 420 and all the sponsors that make this site possible. Happy Growing!

#vivosun #vGrow #lovewhatyougrow

Nice wrap-up BudMan.

I'm all over your "Lessons Learned..."

That's some good info. for anyone considering trying a swick base with coco!

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em! :ganjamon:

Nice wrap-up BudMan.

I'm all over your "Lessons Learned..."

That's some good info. for anyone considering trying a swick base with coco!

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em! :ganjamon:
Thanks GDB. Overall I was really impressed with the swick base, and coco for a first-timer. Oh, and you know I've got plenty ;)

Beautiful tray of nugs and nearly 5oz out of that box is a damn fine result. :welldone: LKA and Vivosun!

Thanks for posting the lessons too. It's always good to see what you're learned written in one place for others to benefit from.
Thanks Shed. I try to keep all my 'lessons learned' in one place. Occasionally, I even read them ;)

Back
Top Bottom