Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Highya BH,

Glad to see you're doing alright (or better) throughout this mess (Covid-19). We we're driven away from a store today because we didn't have a mask to put on. Oh, well. On the other hand, we're not affected much from the bans.

Glad to see you have a healthy plant grouping at this stage. I'm having trouble with a woodchuck. They like cannabis. Any cures aside from a trap, or shooting?

Have a great, productive summer! Happy Smokin'

Outdoor girls are off to a great start Blew!! Good to see life is treating you well!

We are very similar.....life under pandemic conditions suits us better than the alternative honestly. We generally don't go out in public unless we have to......and then when I think I have to, I just smoke a bowl and then it doesn't seem that important and I just go about one of the other hundred tasks needing to be done.

We have ground hogs. Fishers and foxes like them. I used neem oil and sprayed it around and the plants. That worked for all the 4 legged pests.

Garden looking good blew.

We finely able to grow outdoors in the woods here.

That's my wife standing behind one of our plants.

20200712_114721.jpg

That's the biggest reason I like growing outdoors! Great job, bobrown! Happy Smokin'

My wife started a habit last year of writing haikus describing anything and everything on her mind, which she continues to do. She shares them with friends and they, in turn, post their own. It's a cathartic process to boil down something as tightly as possible, and sometimes less is definitely more. So here we go....

Trust in you and yours
Not those pretending to care
Take control today

:peace:

Way different world than I grew up in!!!

I don't leave the house much.....and I don't watch the news or much TV, so the world seems about the same to me. Now I know that ain't the case, but I sure appreciate that it seems the same way to me!

Worry about what you can control or impact, the rest is just noise. When we start letting the noise control us, we veer away from what we can actually control or impact. Of course I think that's THEIR intent anyways, but I'm a recluse with very few concerns relative to this new weird world.

I sure hope you and your family are doing well Blew! Stay safe my friend. BTW....got some monster outdoor girls going this year. They are only in 20's but I got a couple over 7' tall and one thats coming up on 8' and almost 6' wide. Its got me jonesing a greenhouse for our future. Maybe if all goes well this year, I will have one for next season!

One more question for you Blew...have you considered getting a sulfur burner for your greenhouse grows? I have been doing them in my tents in the basement and man, its a total game changer for me. No more pests, no more PM issues.....and more importantly no more stressed or unhealthy plants. The plants absolutely love the burns. My outdoor girls been getting their asses kicked by every bug under the sky. Wish I had a greenhouse to do some burns in! Hell I been thinking about a way to try and make a makeshift PVC enclosure big enough to do one plant at a time because the burns are so effective at warding off pests.

This sounds interesting - how does this work??

Sulfur is an element that is naturally in a solid state. When you heat it up it melts and burns off in extremely small particles which are now floating around in your grow area. When you do your burns you want to have really high RH in your grow area so in tents you will want be running a humidifier. The high RH in conjunction with the extremely small air-born particles cause the particles to stick to the surface of the leaves and stems. This lowers the pH of the leaf surface to an uninhabitable environment for pests and mold spores. No PM, no spider mites and it will even knock out the dreaded hemp russet mites.

You will have to do several burns, spaced out about 3-4 days apart to knock everything out depending on your infestation level. And its not as effective at treating PM as it is at preventing PM if that makes sense. But the plants absolutely love the burns and to me its insane not to do them regardless if I am seeing anything or if I am completely clean and pest free. Doing them ensures that even if one or two nasties snuck in the tent, there isn't going to be an issue in the future. They simply can't live on your plants if you are doing the burns.

When you do the burns, turn off all exhaust fans, and put any air flow fans on their lowest setting. You want the air moving lightly throughout the tent. Remember all those particles that are floating and coating? Without that air flow to get them moving and circulating throughout the tent, it won't be an effective burn. So exhaust fans off, and turn down your air flow fans in the tent. Now the most important (as was warned to me, but I haven't tested to determine if it was valid or not), remove your lights from the tent or cover them in something waterproof. As was told to me, the ultra high RH and the sulfur particles will corrode the electric system of your lights. Cool....easy enough. Is it pain to take down my lights? Yes it is. But my lights are not cheap and I ain't rich so I am not testing the theory of leaving your lights in will corrode your lights and ruin them very quickly. It ain't that big of a deal to remove my lights, do the burns, and then put the lights back up. That way I guarantee that it won't hurt my lights.

Besides I used to spend up to 10 hours a week spraying plants when I was battling pests and or PM, so not having to do sprays and only having to move a few plants to take down my lights and put them back up (takes me 10 min max per tent per burn) is a cake walk!! Sign me up please! The sulfur doesn't even smell that bad. If you are using 99% pure elemental sulfur prills there isn't much smell and its gone in a few hours after the burn is done. 100% pure sulfur is actually odorless.....so the less pure sulfur you burn, the more its going to stink. I think that the people that bitch about the smell are burning less pure sulfur.

I run my burner on its own timer.....so I don't have to fuss with the light's timer to do the burns. When the burns are done, I give it an hour or two minimum before I turn on my exhaust fans. Once I do that, I let them run for a bit before I even think of putting my lights back in. Basically, don't go throwing your lights back into a tent full of sulfur particles and 99% RH unless you want to test the above theory about it ruining your lights.

I think that about covers it. Any other questions on this, please feel free to ask. I'm all about the burn!!

Yo Stank, I hear you and share that sentiment. I've been spending the last decade refining my lifestyle to be minimally impacted by the general population. We are, all things considered, doing great. Lots of interesting and productive summer projects in addition to fully booked guest book.

Part of my summer plan is to not sweat it, so not likely I'll be doing anything as exciting as sulfur burns....though so far all the plants looking solid.

Take care and regards to Señora Stank.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom