Making your own Silica supplement aka Faux-Tekt

A tsp of the solution should be about 60ppm per gallon. I wouldn't recommend going over that amount, and neither does the maker of Pro-Tekt. Too much silica can make leaves thick and rubbery, not to mention Silica has a tendency to drive pH up quite a bit.
Too much can slow growth also. Its sometimes used with lanky sativas to keep them in check. Botanicare's Silica Blast, Aptus' Facilitor, Power SI, are pretty good with pH. Armor Si isn't. I've seen it as high as 11.

This is a cool thread, I'd like to add that a reputable Silica additive isnt just Silica, there are other micro nutes that help the plant directly, and also help the plant use the Silica. There are a lot of Silica additives that aren't as bioavailable as they could be. Some need to be broken down through microbial action, others don't.

The cost of some of these additives is nothing short of ridiculous. Botanicare's product is really, pretty cheap, Gen Hydro's too. I'm using Power Si now... not so cheap. And Facilitor must be made of gold @ $60 per 100ml. But, i bought it, i used it, and grew 2 plants that produced 27oz... this isn't definitive proof of a ground breaking product, but i know it helped.

Here are those plants

A couple of months ago I watched a video on horsetail (the plant). There's a lot of videos on it, apparently it is a great source for silica. This got me to wondering if I could make my own silica for free.

Has anyone any info on how to make such a thing? I was thinking about picking some washing it and simmering it... I'll have to wait another 5 months to try this though.

I'm not sure where I could find Potassium Silicate around here (nowhereville), my next trip to a hydro shop (300 k) will not be for a few months. Do most hydro shops carry the powdered variety? Would a farm center carry such a product? A drug store?
I missed this post.... I use Horsetail fern. I make a tea with it

1/4 jar of dried Horsetail fern into a quart mason jar.
Pour boiling water like you're making tea. Steep and let it cool to room temp.

Boom there's your silica in spades.

Put the jar in the fridge it will last about a month.

Water in foliar on can dilute with water 1:2 tea:water

Strain with fine strainer for foliar application.

Very cool. This is fine for living soil grows too?

Yes but probably not necessary since real "soil" already has Silica in it. This is more for supplementing soil-less like peat or coco. It works for hydro too but raises pH a bunch. Therefore instead of the 5ml per gal that you'd use in soil-less, I'd probably stop around 1ml.

Great thread @farside05 - thanks for your efforts to share!
I know Diatomaceous Earth is high Silica and can be used as a hard shell insect deterrent, does anyone know if it can also be used as a source of Silica, whether directly added as an amendment, or put thru some process to release the Silica to the soil biology and on to the plant?

I know Diatomaceous Earth is high Silica and can be used as a hard shell insect deterrent, does anyone know if it can also be used as a source of Silica, whether directly added as an amendment, or put thru some process to release the Silica to the soil biology and on to the plant?

Yes it can be used to amend soil-less mixes, either as a top dressing, or incorporated into the mix. See this Oklahoma State University Study

Yes it can be used to amend soil-less mixes, either as a top dressing, or incorporated into the mix. See this Oklahoma State University Study
Thanks for that @farside05! :thanks:

That is very encouraging for DE as a Silica amendment, I think I will get under my canopies and sprinkle some about on the mulch layer, that way it can dissuade any hard shell insects, and the waterings can transport it to the soil.

It's been a minute since I've visited this thread. I thoroughly enjoy a good DIY option. One of the reasons I make most of my soil mixes.

As for the LOS questions, you can absolutely use it with it. I have made this recipe and used it without any issues. Your microbes will break it down faster in liquid form than in solids (various granular nutrients, soil ingredients, etc.). The question is, does your LOS soil actually need it? Likely answer is no. You have to consider all your inputs at the start and after each harvest. You have to replenish it somehow. This leads to...

Thanks for that @farside05! :thanks:

That is very encouraging for DE as a Silica amendment, I think I will get under my canopies and sprinkle some about on the mulch layer, that way it can dissuade any hard shell insects, and the waterings can transport it to the soil.
In my soil mixes, I use DE granules (oil absorbent) to mix into my garden beds and LOS container mixes. It makes for excellent aeration as well as a component for the biology to live and put in work. I have also used DE in micronized form for topdressing containers and around plants in the garden. Another good option is to put a mask on and get yourself a powder sprayer. Put that DE powder inside and spray it all over and under your plants. Insect death is almost guaranteed. You can leave it on until it comes off naturally from rain or condensation, or you can spray it off. All that comes off onto your soil where it will still benefit the biology.

*EDIT*
I DO NOT spray powdered DE during flower.

I hope that helps ease the anxiety of using DE. Just remember to protect your lungs (and eyes) when using it in powdered form. It truly can be a dangerous thing if handled improperly. Blessings!

Checking in here... I'm researching the best sources of silicon for addition to my soil mixture.

Some options I've seen so far:

• AgSil 16h (potassium silicate; water soluble)
• greensand (glauconite)
• diatomaceous earth (DE)
• bamboo leaf tea (10x more silica than horsetail; 17-23% silica by weight)
• Azomite is supposed to be about 68% silica

I have been using greensand in my soil mix, but it appears the silica in greensand is released too slowly. DE is easy to obtain, but is not water soluble. I have access to lots of bamboo... anyone else using bamboo tea? I may just go for the AgSil DIY solution posted here by @farside05.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

From RX Green Technologies:

Sources of silicon include potassium silicate, sodium silicate, diatomaceous earth (DE) and silicic acid. Si amendments or additives can be applied as a foliar or as a soil amendment. It is not recommended to mix silica supplements with other fertilizers as the alkaline nature of silicon will likely cause precipitation of other nutrients. This can also cause a large pH shift in the growing medium, further limiting the availability of other nutrients. Silica also may compete for uptake with phosphate since they are chemically similar. Caution should be used to avoid combining the two in nutrient solutions in order to prevent competition.

This is confusing to me, because it's saying add silicon as a soil amendment, but also saying that mixing with other ferts is not recommended. I guess they are saying "avoid combining" specifically in liquid solutions.

Here's the fertilizer analysis for AgSil 16h, in case anyone is interested, showing potassium and metals content:

1651469068962.png

source: CDFA Fertilizer Product Database

Yes, as mentioned, it can (depending on type, generally does) cause a drastic pH shift. Remember that each whole number change in pH is ten times more alkaline (or acidic). When that happens, it can cause other (formerly) dissolved solids to precipitate (drop out of solution). Plus, each element is most available at a given pH (or, occasionally, two) - and a pH of (for example) 11 isn't it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom