Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

I blew my 600w HPS cuz I was running it at 850w. I needed more light. Now at 1050w that's not an issue. Hell, I have my light at the top of my tent and still have too much FFPD. In veg I run my MH at 600 to start and ramp to 1000w (never overdrive MH) I love my dial-a-watt ballast. I can use 400, 600, and 1k bulbs.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Hi Catfish,

Doesn't everyone balance on their head to take pictures? Standing upright is soooo yesteryear.

I have spun the pictures every which way on the computer before uploading but to no avail. I'm starting to think one factor in 420 Mag's random picture alignment routine, along with sacrificing a chicken whilst walking widdershins backwards, is the aspect ratio. I will crack this in the end!

On the topic of random 420 behaviour - I have to put a single letter in the quick search box on the main screens to force a failed search, then I tick all the boxes on full search screen and put the actual search criteria in. I'm obviously doing something wrong because I simply can't get the quick search box to work its magic. Random picture orientation and a none functional quick search are endearing foibles of a wonderful site.

I use laptop and have to click on the empty search box to get to that page. Maybe that's the way it was designed.:passitleft:

I blew my 600w HPS cuz I was running it at 850w. I needed more light. Now at 1050w that's not an issue. Hell, I have my light at the top of my tent and still have too much FFPD. In veg I run my MH at 600 to start and ramp to 1000w (never overdrive MH) I love my dial-a-watt ballast. I can use 400, 600, and 1k bulbs.

What is this FFPD of which you speak?

I don't think I want a bigger light (yet), but I am toying with the idea of a small HPS to provide extra heat during lights on. At the moment I've got a small fan heater in there 24/7 to keep it warm enough. May as well get a light to provide heat as use the heater. Light and heat, what's not to like? Apart from the extra 50 - 60 coins of the realm required to purchase said light.

I'm still of the opinion that 2-3 plants will give me all I need for now. However, I'm already mulling over the idea of a veg tent/area. Oh I wibble.

It's great you can set your ballast, t'is a luxury I can only dream of. I have veg, bloom or veg & bloom settings. That's it. Currently it's on V&B. Apparently the extra red aids root development.

Changing bulbs sucks when using cooltube. But look up FFPD it is a way of measuring energy emitted from light. It's a number you want to know for your tent. At 800w I'm at 50w sq'. At 1000w I'm at 62w sq'. You need over 45 for a good yield. There is lots of info out there on cannibas and FFPD.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Well if you will quit standing on your head to take those pictures..... Sometimes I have to put the pictures on my computer and use the picture app to rotate the pics correctly then save it and then upload them to the forum.

If using a cell phone camera make sure the phone is in landscape orientation not portrait. If an android the volume buttons on top, if iPhone volume buttons on bottom. That will get your photos correctly into the system.

Hi Catfish,

Doesn't everyone balance on their head to take pictures? Standing upright is soooo yesteryear.

I have spun the pictures every which way on the computer before uploading but to no avail. I'm starting to think one factor in 420 Mag's random picture alignment routine, along with sacrificing a chicken whilst walking widdershins backwards, is the aspect ratio. I will crack this in the end!

On the topic of random 420 behaviour - I have to put a single letter in the quick search box on the main screens to force a failed search, then I tick all the boxes on full search screen and put the actual search criteria in. I'm obviously doing something wrong because I simply can't get the quick search box to work its magic. Random picture orientation and a none functional quick search are endearing foibles of a wonderful site.

Uhmmm I haven't use the search yet. Sorry.

Hi MT,

I do have some Old Timer Bloom and seaweed extract (all organic for what it's worth) and I did plan on using some in the flower phase, but maybe not full strength. The soil is Canna Terra, which I'm lead to believe will have plenty of food for the girls for the first 4 weeks. I hope with a drop of seaweed extract this will hold true. To bump up an order and qualify for free delivery I think I put some Old Timer Grow in the basket. Again I'd like to do it minimally.

This grow will be a learning curve and I do feel there may be excessive use of nutrients in a lot of the grows I've read. Everyone can say "told you so" when I get a low yield, but I really want to satisfy myself that lots of nutes are required before going down that road. At the end of the day these are weeds that grow with sunshine, water and dirt. I fully understand we are optimising those conditions though and lots of nutes may be required.

Sounds like you have a good understanding of what your want to do in this grow. I too had similar aspirations but I started 37 plants, 2 clones and 35/50 seeds popped. I spent the first 6 weeks transplanting, watering (with Ferts) and dialing my grow tent. I ended up with 3 plants in my tent and 4 in the closet. Tent had a bug issue that I battled and I'll call it a draw. My closet had a small bug issue that I won (late flower when leaves go yellow and spotted I do not think they taste good) but I learned what I can and can not change. when you are talking about not feeding your plants or lightly feeding with out using a Hi Brix or living soil you might not make it to flower. While it is true that weed is weed. You will not find dank, topped bud growing wild. Here is what flowering does to you plant. This is day 61 of flower.

All leaves are showing either N,P,K (mobile) and Mg, Ca, Fe, ect. So, my thinking is that if flowering is that rough on your plants and you flush the whole grow, you might have issues.

I would just get a grow under your belt before you start hitting home runs. I know that you want everything to be perfect but if that was the case, everyone could grow. Just have fun and start another one asap.

Mark

Hi MT,

Great advice thanks. I've checked my orders and the grow nutes aren't on the list so I've just added it. I already have flower nutes to hand. I'll go along with the recommendations and feed accordingly. I still believe the soil I've chosen has enough for the first four weeks and they will be planted in bigger pots as soon as they outgrow the 1 litre pots.

Advice like this is why I'm here and much appreciated.

Cheers

Day 12 Leaf Issue

Today I noticed that the very tips of the two biggest leaves are brown. Is this something that should concern me? I've taken pictures under the grow lights and outside the tent. It is symmetrical, both of the biggest leaves opposite each other are affected at the very tip. I'll whip out my Googlefu to see if I can find more information, but it's going in my journal to keep a record and to let the experts see.

IMG_399210.JPG

IMG_399311.JPG

IMG_39949.JPG

I've now got a pH meter that (uncalibrated) tells me my water is 7.8. I'll put a wee drop of Epsom Salts in the next lot of water unless I heard otherwise.

Day 12 Leaf Issue

Today I noticed that the very tips of the two biggest leaves are brown. Is this something that should concern me? I've taken pictures under the grow lights and outside the tent. It is symmetrical, both of the biggest leaves opposite each other are affected at the very tip. I'll whip out my Googlefu to see if I can find more information, but it's going in my journal to keep a record and to let the experts see.

IMG_399210.JPG

IMG_399311.JPG

IMG_39949.JPG

I've now got a pH meter that (uncalibrated) tells me my water is 7.8. I'll put a wee drop of Epsom Salts in the next lot of water unless I heard otherwise.
Hi Max. On Sara's forum we were discussing the same thing a couple days ago. With Leds they need more cal/mag added. Same thing was happening with mine. Since I have been adding more I haven't had any more problems.

7.8 is definitely too high, for hydro or soil. Do you have PH down?

Not yet RTK,

It's in transit at the moment. Expected Monday. I think a wee splash of Epsom Salts will adjust the pH and give me magnesium at the same time. I really should calibrate the meter and check again though. A job for today after the police have gone - they are doing door to door on my estate at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about pH but I don't trust the meter yet and I was labouring under the misapprehension that soil does a lot of balancing itself.

Day 13 - Magnesium

The girls were a little thirsty this morning so they got a splash of Epsom Salts in their drinks as a bit of a treat. It was maybe 1/8 teaspoon in a pint of water. I really must look up the correct dose and start measuring things out a little better. I have scales that measure down to 0.1g and will use them.

Now getting worried that the fans have been delivered a place I can't get to - these baby plants really need to feel a breeze on them.

Also worried at my slapdash measurement of Epsom Salts. Time will tell.

The tap water pH of 7.8 appears to be out of range. Today's plan involves calibrating the meter and waiting for the pH Up and Down to arrive. I'll also measure the pH drop when Epsom Salts is added.

If using a cell phone camera make sure the phone is in landscape orientation not portrait. If an android the volume buttons on top, if iPhone volume buttons on bottom. That will get your photos correctly into the system.

Spot on thanks! I tried with the buttons at the bottom and got this gratuitous day 13 picture. Note the tight nodes and bushy physique. She's a 2.5" tall beauty.

IMG_39985.JPG

She's starting to smell already. Luckily I fed the ducting in and connected it to the fan. Just need some cable ties to hook the filter up.

Day 14 - Carbon Filter Installed

As the plants are starting to smell a little funky, son & heir picked up some cable ties (my stolen car still hasn't turned up) and helped me put the carbon filter in the tent. The industrial look is very aesthetically pleasing and it makes me happier than it should. Behold the gorgeousness...

IMG_400214.JPG

Apologies if I'm too verbose, but I can't discuss this with any of my physical friends and family (apart from son & heir), so my virtual 420 family get inundated with my rambling monologues.

In other news the pH meter was calibrated today and is spot on. My tap water has come down from 7.8 and is now hovering around 7.2 There appears to be two schools of thought on this; one is that soil is a big pH buffer if the pot is large enough, and two is that water & feeds should be adjusted. As the girls are currently in little pots and the pH Down has arrived I'll lower the pH to get things optimal.

Some people appear to go for different pH levels over time because some nutrients are optimally absorbed at different pH levels, so they may set it to 5.5 on some feeds and 6.5 on others. I do love the wealth of information on here even though it's a bit mind boggling at times. Today's exercise involves finding a value to aim for. For no readily apparent reason I'll aim for 6.0 after a tiny splash of seaweed extract and a small amount of Epsom Salts have been added.

Next watering won't be until this evening or first thing in the morning. I'm resisting the urge to over water. Old Timer Grow is on order but won't be introduced until week 4, possibly after re-potting to 5 gallon tubs.

Please do shout out if this is a bad thing to do. I'm relying on you all to keep my grow on track :)

Back
Top Bottom