Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

Hmm, that is odd, I figured you'd be harvesting by now. Something must be wrong.

Don't tell you you've been watching them? OH no Max, they never sprout when someone is near and potentially watching.

It must be because I'm new to this ;-) A watched seedling never boils. But one has made an appearance, yay!

It lives! mwhahahahaha

18th December - 2 seeds put to germinate
20th December - Both sprouted and planted, put under a dome under the lights to keep warm
21st December - One seed has produced a seedling

Last night it got rather cold in the tent.. 17 degrees C. This morning I put a heater in the tent to get it up to 25c. A few hours later we had signs of life from one of them. I was a bit worried the cold had seen them off. I'll not get too worried about the other until the four day mark - Christmas Eve.

I still can't get the hang of pictures, even after trying with the camera on its side. It uploaded upside down, so I rotated it and uploaded again. Still upside down. Hopefully one day there will be rotate and delete option for gallery pictures, but I develop web databases for fun and project manage web development for a living... so I know how much work has already gone into 420 Magazine.

Here are the pictures of the humidity dome and my first ever seedling. Try not to break your necks trying to see them the right way round ;-)

The pleasure dome

Dome7.JPG

My baby

Baby_Plant1.JPG

I'm wondering if it would it be good or bad to remove the dome from the seedling now. If anyone would like to comment on this I'd be grateful.

I'm feeling ridiculously happy to have a seedling already.

Cheers

I'm wondering if it would it be good or bad to remove the dome from the seedling now. If anyone would like to comment on this I'd be grateful.

I'm feeling ridiculously happy to have a seedling already.

Cheers

Woot! Told ya, you just needed to stop staring at the poor thing.

She needs light as much as warmth and humidity. The dome will block a good portion of the light. Keep her moist not wet and try not to have water droplets sitting on her baby-fresh leaves when the light is on.

Cheers RTK,

I've removed the dome on the seedling now. Just a bit concerned that the LED may be a touch intense for such a young plant. It's 18 - 24" above the top of the pots. The lights are set to grow only at the mo but I've heard good things about using both grow and bloom setting once the plants are established. Apparently it helps root structure formation. Allegedly.

I know I said I wouldn't worry, but I'm thinking I did something wrong with the second seed because nothing is happening yet. I know, I know... 4 days. But I fret. Did I poke it too hard? Did I use too much root fungus (I'm not even going to try to spell mycorrhiza).

But then I look at seedling #1 and I'm happy again.

Welcome aboard WelshP,

I've (probably) had my last look at progress for the evening. The seedling looks strong so far and has microscopic true leaves appearing. Plant #2 has yet to poke its head above the soil. Should I move the light way up? It's about 2'6" above the surface now (I moved it up a little earlier when I took the dome off #1).

It's true, I'm fretting a little.

It took mine about 6/7 days to come up and see me, then it made me smile. Dont poke about in there to check you could kill it, but give it time :)

I'm glad you said that. I've not poked but the urge is strong. I've just looked at your grow again and the last pictures were splendid. I'll leave #2 alone and see what gives. I'm currently trying to find the optimal light height for new seedlings under LED but I keep getting distracted by journals. I'd like to read this site after a spliff, but it's been a long time since my last one and my next will be home grown (although one of my friends has suggested we nip over to Amsterdam to try high CBD there). Oh I waffle, have a great evening.

Waffles are great, with chocolate even better lol. Cant help with optimal hight with LED im afraid there is a really good mars thread on here that could probably help with that.

Thanks for the compliment on my girl as well :) she is looking tasty, im sure yours will be to! And take that rip over to try some haha best excuse for a trip to the dam

Waffles are great, with chocolate even better lol. Cant help with optimal hight with LED im afraid there is a really good mars thread on here that could probably help with that.

Thanks for the compliment on my girl as well :) she is looking tasty, im sure yours will be to! And take that rip over to try some haha best excuse for a trip to the dam

I'm trawling LED posts at the mo, but I've somehow got sucked in to details on a circular grow room that is only 5' wide but allegedly lets growers get 80oz per crop. My room is 3' and I'll be happy with 2oz :)

Tally ho!

Hi Miller,

Happy to have you aboard and thanks for the good wishes. I'll check out your journal in a mo (it never gets old reading journals).

Two things to keep in mind

1. I'm a complete noob at this.
2. I can't fill my tent because the light would be underpowered for a 3' tent. If I get the bug I'll get another light. The plan is to grow in the centre 2' square, plants willing.

Have you seen OlderGrower's recently finished LED grow? It's very good.

On with the plans; I'm going to go SCRoG and I found a nice video of someone raising the edges of the screen because they had a small centre light. His thinking was to get growth at the edges higher up and closer to the lights where the intensity would be low otherwise. This is something I'll seriously consider, if not immediately then for the second grow because it makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm also toying with the idea of popping a third seed - one of the three free Blueberry fems that came with my order. Three plants may be a bit much for a 400w LED (200 true watts), but I'm thinking I'll need a fall back if there's an issue (read beginner error) on one of the other seeds. Only one has poked above the soil so far and I'm still worried I screwed up the planting. I really do think I put it a little deep and there was too much mycorrhiza in the hole. I also think I made a schoolboy error and over watered the seeds. Time will tell. Others have had great results with the same light as mine, but many started their seedlings on cfl or T5 bulbs.

Cheers

Day 2 after planting and I've already decided to germinate another seed. This time it's a Blueberry Fem. The tried and trusted method (done once) of the seed placed between two damp pieces of tissue then put into a sealed ice cream tub placed on a heated bathroom floor will be used. The two Painkiller XL's germinated in 12 hours this way but weren't planted for 36 hours because the pots didn't show up any earlier.

This time I'll not poke quite a deep hole in the soil and I'll mix in the mycorrhiza rather than pouring it in.

XL #1 is already over an inch tall and looking sturdy
XL #2 isn't poking above the soil yet but I think I can just see the start of a shoot (or it could be wishful thinking)
BB #1 is in the tub on the floor. Hoping to plant this one tomorrow night (23rd) or maybe the day after.

I'll do seedling pictures tomorrow if XL#2 decides to show.

One week update

Seven days after going into soil it looks like Painkiller XL #2 (XL#2) hasn't survived XL#1 is doing well (I think - I have no way of knowing if this is normal growth. Either way she looks beautiful to me).

I planted a Blueberry fem (BB#1) earlier in the week and she has sprouted nicely.

Another XL has been put to germinate in the hopes of having 3 plants on the go.

A timer has been added to the lights to introduce 18/6 rather than the 24/0 the seedlings have enjoyed so far.

A very small amount of seaweed extract has been added to the water after watching several videos showing great success. This will be reverted to plain water if the plants look in any way unhappy.

Seedling_1_week.JPG

XL#1 is just getting her third set of true leaves 7 days after planting, 6 days after poking her head above the soil. Could anyone tell me if this is a normal rate of growth?

Ok guys,

I'm getting impatient and can't find a definitive answer on how long it'll be from planting a germinated seed to seeing a stalk poke through the soil. Any ideas? I really have looked and watched lots of videos but they all skip from a picture of the seed to a picture of a stalk. It's been 10 hours already, shouldn't I be seeing the first buds by now? (I'm joking about buds BTW.. just in case anyone is baked and thinks I'm being serious)

Mine was 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom