Midwest Grow Kits Discussion Thread - Mushroom Growing Kits, Supplies & More

Midwest Grow Kits

420 Sponsor
We are excited to be a sponsor here and be part of this community! We have been helping people grow mushrooms since 2011 and many of our employees and customers are also a part of this growing world. Even though mushroom growing is very different, there is a natural cross over between the two. From Gourmet to exotic & medicinal we are here to help!

Navigating the world of mushroom cultivation can often feel like walking through a maze of conflicting advice. You might find yourself inundated with varying techniques and tips from every forum post you read or video you watch, leading to confusion and overwhelm. That's where Midwest Grow Kits steps in. Our grow kits and methods are meticulously designed to simplify the mushroom cultivation process, prioritizing both maximum yields and user-friendliness.

To express our gratitude to the 420MAGAZINE community, we're offering a special 10% discount on any order. Use the code "420MAGAZINE" at checkout to avail of this exclusive offer.

Happy Growing!
-Team Midwest

We are excited to be a sponsor here and be part of this community! We have been helping people grow mushrooms since 2011 and many of our employees and customers are also a part of this growing world. Even though mushroom growing is very different, there is a natural cross over between the two. From Gourmet to exotic & medicinal we are here to help!

Navigating the world of mushroom cultivation can often feel like walking through a maze of conflicting advice. You might find yourself inundated with varying techniques and tips from every forum post you read or video you watch, leading to confusion and overwhelm. That's where Midwest Grow Kits steps in. Our grow kits and methods are meticulously designed to simplify the mushroom cultivation process, prioritizing both maximum yields and user-friendliness.

To express our gratitude to the 420MAGAZINE community, we're offering a special 10% discount on any order. Use the code "420MAGAZINE" at checkout to avail of this exclusive offer.

Happy Growing!
-Team Midwest
Welcome to the @420 Magazine family @Midwest GrowKits and thanks for being a Sponsor. CL🍀 :thanks:

Perspective: First Time Mushroomer:

About your All-In-One bags. I ordered 2 recently and inoculated them with SPORES inside a SAB. My guess is about 3 weeks ago.

Before I go further, I take full responsibility for the screw-up. My upcoming questions are more about whether should I keep going.

I mixed up the bag too quickly. I've watched so many videos trying to learn about mycology that I mixed up my instructions

Now, 3 weeks in there is no sign of anything. I understand spores take longer than LC or Agar.

(1) How long before I call it quits?

(2) Can I run the bags through the pressure canner and start from scratch?

About your Ultimate ½ Pint Substrate Jars (12-Pack):

All were inoculated with spores.

A few others seem to be changing, but there are also sections around the jar that are a khaki color.

This Photo shows the tan/khaki section.

Is this what some mushrooms do on their way to full colonization (turning white) or am I doomed? : )

Most of the jars show some progression. However, one strain shows nothing. On that one, I am trying to also determine when it is time to give up, like in 6 or 8 weeks.

Also, with the jars ... can you run them through the pressure canner and try again? Or are these one-time only?

I realize if something is contaminated just toss it, I'm asking more about when it "seems" there are no changes.

PF Tek - 7451.JPG

That jar is contaminated. Nothing can be done to reverse it. Dump it in your compost if you have one, if not, trash the grain and clean the jar. If you have the equipment you can sterilize the empty glass and restart.

What spore are you using?
Liquid culture or transfer?

Any growth that is not white is imo contaminated. Gray, green, blue or anything resembling “mold” is bad.

You are looking for bright white “ropy” looking growth. It’s definitely easy and tempting to mix them up early. There is really no harm in waiting and letting the mycelium do its thing.
This picture below is from today. The bags were all inoculated at the same time mid August.
Patience and cleanliness are your best friends in this

IMG_4975.jpeg

Happy Growing!
-Team Midwest
Welcome to 420Magazine :ciao: :welcome: :high-five:
We appreciate your support.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Perspective: First Time Mushroomer:

About your All-In-One bags. I ordered 2 recently and inoculated them with SPORES inside a SAB. My guess is about 3 weeks ago.

Before I go further, I take full responsibility for the screw-up. My upcoming questions are more about whether should I keep going.

I mixed up the bag too quickly. I've watched so many videos trying to learn about mycology that I mixed up my instructions

Now, 3 weeks in there is no sign of anything. I understand spores take longer than LC or Agar.

(1) How long before I call it quits?

(2) Can I run the bags through the pressure canner and start from scratch?

About your Ultimate ½ Pint Substrate Jars (12-Pack):

All were inoculated with spores.

A few others seem to be changing, but there are also sections around the jar that are a khaki color.

This Photo shows the tan/khaki section.

Is this what some mushrooms do on their way to full colonization (turning white) or am I doomed? : )

Most of the jars show some progression. However, one strain shows nothing. On that one, I am trying to also determine when it is time to give up, like in 6 or 8 weeks.

Also, with the jars ... can you run them through the pressure canner and try again? Or are these one-time only?

I realize if something is contaminated just toss it, I'm asking more about when it "seems" there are no changes.

PF Tek - 7451.JPG

Hello,

Yes for the all-in-one, sounds like you def mixed that up too soon.. They typically recover in a week or 10 days. If you dont see any signs of white by day 14, pretty safe to say its toast.

As for the jar.. Yea thats mold. It probably happened while inoculating it.. Hopefully the rest are doing well!

Cheers!

Thank you!

Hello,

Yes for the all-in-one, sounds like you def mixed that up too soon.. They typically recover in a week or 10 days. If you dont see any signs of white by day 14, pretty safe to say its toast.

As for the jar.. Yea thats mold. It probably happened while inoculating it.. Hopefully the rest are doing well!

Cheers!

Hello @Midwest Grow Kits and all of you lovers of the shrooms.
I have a mushroom diary up and running, featuring Midwest Grow Kits products and @Spore Genetics spores.
Stop by and say hello, or just watch the process as we go. 🍄

Hi @Midwest Grow Kits! Got my 7.5Lb bag of substrate and pound of your horse manure booster. In the box was your postcard sized reference listing the various products shelf life. I don't see All-In-Ones on the list. Can I assume it's similar to the 5 grain jars spec of 3 weeks at room temp or 4-6 refrigerated?
I don't recall seeing this card with my first order September 18 so there's a good chance the AIO I just inoculated tonight was beyond it's expiry date. I looked and didn't see any contaminants growing, so I hope I'm ok.
BTW, I'm going to scan the postcard to pdf and post it for people to refer to, unless you object?

Gonna be using agar on my current grow, but I'm planning to order some injection lids for jars from y'all soon (after payday).

Back
Top Bottom