Obi's Northern Light Autoflower - Indoor T5 - Soilless Mix - 2014

Day 19

Time for another evening peek. Things are on track. I may be able to water tomorrow. Pots are feeling lighter day by day and I think they are starting to look hungary. I did a little more leaf tucking and now my fingers smell fantastic!

This is just great.

04/03/2014
Day 6
Waiting and watching. Timer installed. Starting 18/6 light/dark at midnight. Lowering lights from 17in/43cm to 12in/30cm from tops.

Found it..sorry.;)

Welcome stealthgrow. Glad to have you along.

The seedlings started their first few days under 24/0. Then I picked up a timer and they were set at 18/6 for the foreseeable future.

Just a quick update while I have a moment. 14 hour day at the shop yesterday. I got home exhausted. Quickly looked in on the plants before bed. Marge (solo cup transplant) has signs of deficiency on lover leaves as well as Ella (right above her). I only had enough water ready to feed those two and gave them a 1/3 strength feeding. Both received about 2L at 5.8pH. The rest look good and I will probably feed them tonight. I may pull Gladis and document her root structure as well. She's right where I want to put my temp gauge.

I was hoping to treat all of the plants the same, as far as feeding goes, throughout the grow. It's becoming apparent that as they progress and even though they are all in pretty much the same environment their individual needs are beginning to differ.

Another quick tidbit I'll add to the log...

The T5 I am running pulls about 400 watts or so. To offset the cost of running the T5 or any other grow lighting in the future I have been slowly replacing all of my home lighting with LED lights over the last six months or so. I don't think I have many lights left that are over 10.5 watts. Bedroom lights are even less.

Just one room alone, a rec room with 11 recessed 65 watt incandescent flood lights dropped from @ 715 watts in use to 115 watts with the LED's. That's huge for me since those lights get left on way more than they should.

I'm not saving any money yet. The upfront cost for the LED lights is high which is why it's taking so long to convert. I recall buying one on sale for about $7 and had to laugh at myself. I had just bought a light bulb for $7 and felt like I got a good deal... I could have bought a 12 pack or more of incandescent bulbs for the same price, lol.

But I digress. Watch your local hardware stores for sales, rebates and incentives. Figure out what bulb type you require and write down the lowest price you can currently find. Later on, when you find it cheaper than your logged price, pick up one or two. After a few months you may find you're optimizing your energy usage like never before.

Love and respect,
/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid

Welcome Radogast and virgingrower and thank you for the kind words! I feel lucky to have found such a great group of people. Man, I've been missing out :)

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Take care.

Day 22

This evenings update is pretty exciting. I think the pictures to follow are pretty interesting. I had a couple of real surprises to say the least. Read on and see if you can guess what caught my attention...

First up are some log notes:
Containers feel pretty light. The first inch or two of soil is bone dry. The soil around the edges of a few containers has dried up and receded away from the sides of the containers. Note a bit of droopy leaves on several plants. Perhaps the droop is from dehydration. Some spotting on a leaf here and there. I'm fairly certain it is from nute splash. I try my best to promptly wipe any leaves that may have been dripped on during watering. Three plants are showing signs of a deficiency. Looks very much like Nitrogen deficiency.

I made sure when I watered/fed I did so very slowly from the middle of the pot first then towards the edges to prevent the water from simply running down the gap and out the bottom. Each container had a small amount of runoff. A little more than enough each to squirt into a solo cup for pH measurements.

Watered with 1/3 strength nutes today at 5.8 pH
Still using a veg stage nute NPK range
4Gal/15L + 6ml Grow + 3.5ml Micro + 3.5ml Bloom + 28ml pH down
2Qt/2L for each plant
Runoff pH measured 6.8
Water TDS before nutes: 400
Water TDS with nutes: 640

Room temp and RH is still a consistent 65F/18C and 83F/28C with a RH of 33% to 37%

Alright, now for the good part. Pics! I've been using my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone for pictures. The last couple here I took with a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition cam to see if the color would look a little more true.

Oh, one last quick note. The temp gauge in my pics does not reflect the typical grow room temp. My basement is usually on the cool side. Right now it's 66F/19C. The grow room temp drops pretty fast when I open the doors.

I did a little more leaf tucking tonight as well. The spice scent is back and a little bit stronger tonight. I also detect just a hint of citrus mingling on my fingers. I never new the scent could be so complex. I can't wait to smell what's next :)

Thanks for looking! Comments and constructive critiques are always appreciated.

Cheers,
/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid

Hello there Obi. I read the whole thing and your plants look like they want a bit more nutes. Perhaps it is a bit of nute lockout. Some of them look to be a bit heat stressed. I let them get dry but not real dry. I use smartpots to manage the air to the roots. My NL autos got huge for autos. I will be interested in watching how they do. My NL autos was one of my best plants. The smoke was excellent. The crop was great. It is over a year since I grew them and I give a lot of it away and still have over a half pound. It is my favorite strain so far. Which is not to say that I don't the love other strains that I grew. Bubblicious is probably my second favorite. I thoroughly enjoy growing my girls. It is just a joy to watch them thrive. Good luck with what you are doing. Remember to have fun and enjoy what you are doing. You have fresh air coming into the box right? I mean not just stale basement air but fresh air into the basement so it gets to your girls. They thrive on co2. Normal outside air has 300ppm co2. Which is fine if you have a good fresh air exchange. With all those girls in that tight space it seems that they might be fighting for air. Also do you have a fan blowing on them to exchange the air surrounding the girls. Also the fan moves them to cause them to grow stems and leaves that are more solid. Just a few thoughts. You are doing good my friend. :peace: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom