Peyton & Pals Perpetual Playground

Cool. Nice to see you are soil free like some of us. Should be fun to see how your strains do in a hempy though. This contest is gonna be a lot of fun, excited to see what can be done in a small cup. I've seen the cut in half 2 liters do some nice yield, so this should be funny. Too bad wildjim don't do photo strains, it'd be fun to see what he could do too. If i can pull half an ounce out of solo cup I'll be happy. Is that a lot or too little of a guess? You know I'm bad at guessing weights

I've grown in solo cups years ago. And we were lucky to pull 10g per plant. Average 7g. But we also used unknown bagseed lol and I knew a lot less then I do now. This was almost 10 years ago now.

I know I was hoping Jim would join us. But I totally understand why he isn't joining us. Maybe one of the other times we do the contest Jim! This won't be the last. Going to talk to the mods about prizes next time.(funded by me).

Aaand on that note. I'm off for the day! Got 4 meetings before lunch and were hosting interviews for the shop this afternoon.
So stoaked about this. Going to have a digital volcano, a devinci ascent, lunchbox and an extreme q to test and review for the company next week. How am I supposed to give a good review when I'm super ripped from the devices I'm testing hahha should be a challenge to say the least hahha

Haha, that sounds like my kind of job & they'd all get 5 stars :) Have you approached 420 to see how much it costs to become a sponsor on here? I'm sure it would be worth the investment

Water temp for dwc gotta be below 70f or 21c.
And take my word for it when ya think.... "Oh 74f isn't that far off" trust me it is. U wanna stay well under 70f.

Cheers

Thanx again Stumped. I think you said that frozen water bottles in the res water would bring the temp down pretty good right?

And you mentioned that you thought my little pots were too small. I think they were 2 inches across the top. What size do you think I should get?

The res that came with the grow box is a gallon and it has 8 holes cut in the top for pots so I got another gallon res so that I can have only one hole since I am going to grow only one plant.

Just wondered how big you guys think the one pot should be?

Speaking of pollen....

IMG_184218.JPG

Some California Dream Pollen off of my plant that I have in flower right now...I been watching them for signs because it got stupid cold here real quick...None of them showed the normal Herm signs, No bananas no Male sacks hanging from anywhere. These were individual pollen sacks that showed up here and there on the absolute smallest bud sites under the bud...I got about a dozen here off of the 2 plants. I used some to cross all of the strains I have in flower already lol.

Medijuana x California Dream
California Dream x California Dream
Poisonberry Kush x California Dream
Blue Diesel x California Dream

I still have a few weeks till harvest so Ill be good to go...I did this shit a couple weeks ago so seeds are developing nicely.

Thanx again Stumped. I think you said that frozen water bottles in the res water would bring the temp down pretty good right?

And you mentioned that you thought my little pots were too small. I think they were 2 inches across the top. What size do you think I should get?

The res that came with the grow box is a gallon and it has 8 holes cut in the top for pots so I got another gallon res so that I can have only one hole since I am going to grow only one plant.

Well that depends on your space really. I have seen some people grow in those 2" pots and I have a friend locally that I help that grows in 1 gal pots. I guess it is more of a personal preference. My friend that uses the 1 gal pots in hydro grows 4'-6' plants with ease. He was using Smartpots but I convinced him to finally switch to a net pot that is 10" so he can re use them and save some $$$...

last pk mom. she looks pretty old too. main stem is about 1/2 inch thick and shes less then 2 feet tall lol. probably gonna get killed in the next few weeks. too many other better strains going on.
IMG_010835.JPG

here is the ak-47 mother i got going. see the leaf structure? all fucked up looking. only grows 3 or single blade leaves. buddy swears it didnt come from a flowering plant. i still have my doubts well see if the leaf structure normalizes in the next few weeks. already been 3 weeks and it hasn't.
IMG_010044.JPG
IMG_010234.JPG
IMG_010336.JPG

(

Why kill her? why not put into flower and get some additional meds?

As far as the wierd thing you got going with the leaves...My "Unknown" mother, I think she is a Cindy 99 is doing the same thing but was NOT taken from a flowering mother. She was a normal clone. I was there when the guy cloned her for me lol.

IMG_172112.JPG

Well that depends on your space really. I have seen some people grow in those 2" pots and I have a friend locally that I help that grows in 1 gal pots. I guess it is more of a personal preference. My friend that uses the 1 gal pots in hydro grows 4'-6' plants with ease. He was using Smartpots but I convinced him to finally switch to a net pot that is 10" so he can re use them and save some $$$...

I just have a very small grow box.

This pic is with the original res.

CAM00373.jpg

I just have a very small grow box.

This is what I posted on your journal...

Been a while since you have posted anything. Is this still going? I dont have much to add really. Antics covered pretty much all of the bases.

But I have a few things to add...

If you don't have the ability to place a fan inside this to blow on them, you can always pinch the base of the plant after it has a few sets of new growth. Dont pinch too hard but just enough to feel it pop. Some will argue with this but I do it to every single plant that I grow. After 3-5 sets of leaves have appeared. Not only does it sturdy up the stalk it also fattens it allowing more uptake of water etc. It may be necessary to support the plant after pinching the base like this. depending on how large it already is. this differs between strains.

If you are able to you can place a PC fan on one end and have that blowing on the plant. this will be ample air flow for a seedling to strengthen the stem.

Growing in peat pellets. I use them when I clone in a Home built cloner. The peat pellets fir perfectly into a 2" net pot and retain moisture for a good amount of time. And I have a friend that I clone for that gets all of his clones from me in peat pellets. He loves the fact they are there. He says they help sturdy the plant in coco, perlite and hydroton clay pebbles. He also says that they seem to grow with more vigour because the roots are farther down in the soil less mix. I dunno I don't do hydro I just help him lol.

As far as res temp...64-68 F is the ideal range. I wouldn't paint that res black I would paint it white so that it reflects all the light and heat. Black will attract heat so best bet is to go with white.

Nutes. Start with 1/4 strength nutes from what is recommended on the package. Never full strength. Start at 1/4 strength for a week then up to 1/2 etc, Until you either burn the plant or reach recommended doses. I myself only ever run 1/4 to 1/2 strength ever. I have a firm understanding that lighter feedings more often are more beneficial than heavy feedings less often. Why? Because less food more often supplies the plant with food constantly vs. large feedings. That and with large feedings. if the plant only uses half of the nutes you add...thats a lot of extra nutes that will build up...Guess thats just the way that I look at it. If less feedings means a PPM of 300 for a day or two and then it drops to under 150 then feed again instead of feeding at 600 PPM once a week. A constant supply of food at a constant PPm is ideal instead of food drops.

This is what I posted on your journal...

Thanx for the info devilish!

Good call on the color of the res, I didn't even think about it absorbing the heat.

The cabinet has two fans on the back wall, one in and one out.

Would it still need another fan inside somehow?

Stumped suggested I use rockwool to grow in and it seems like that is what I see most people doing. I am not going to be cloning anything.

It was also suggested that the small pots would cause root binding? Or something like that? So I just wonder what size pot would be best for this little grow cab?

Since you are hydro, the size of the pot is really irrelevant as all the roots will grow through the net pot and into the reservoir. I dont know what size pots you have now but a 5" should do just fine for that size. I can understand someone saying that a small 2" pot will restrict the larger roots but I have yet to see roots large enough in a hydro system to do that...you'd have to veg for months to achieve that IMHO.

The thing with rockwool is that you have to soak it in PH water prior to using it, as you should with coco and clay pellets and perlite.

The fan inside blowing across the plant would be a good idea, but again not necessary. There are other ways to strengthen the stalk without air flow.

More on Rockwool...

While rockwool is relatively easy to set up and use, it does require some monitoring and irrigation adjustment to make the best of its ability to hold high levels of moisture and aeration at the same time. Rockwool, whether it is slabs, small propagation blocks, or large growing cubes, needs to be prepared correctly by fully wetting the substrate before use. Some growers like to adjust the pH of their water to 5.5 before wetting up rockwool, but generally for small systems it's not necessary with good quality brands (unless you have a very `hard' water supply in which case acidification of the water before making up any nutrients would be a good idea). The rockwool should be fully saturated so that all of the material is wet and then left to drain. Some growers pour water into the rockwool slab before the drainage holes have been cut to make sure everything has had a good drenching, while others just pour water on or run the irrigation long enough for saturation to take place.

The most common problem experienced by smaller or new growers is over watering, and usually the grower is totally unaware that it is their irrigation program causing problems with plant growth. Flushing vast amounts of nutrient solution through the root zone in a substrate-based system often equates to plant murder - more is not necessarily better when it comes to nutrient application. This type of mistake is easy to make. After all, many new growers get enthused about hydroponics after seeing a well-run NFT or other solution culture system and assume that plants are more than happy to grow and thrive in a flooded root zone environment. However, solution culture and substrate systems are completely different and need to be managed in different ways for the plants to get the optimal root zone conditions they need.

Something else to consider when growing in any hydro system is ALGAE. I have time and time again seen algae buildup on rockwool, perlite, lava rock, clay pellets etc. To prevent this find something to cover the pot with that has an opening for your plant that does not restrict it. Regular weed barrier works wonders, as does a piece of Panda plastic. Either way cut a piece large enough to cover your pot with some overhang all around. then cut an x in the middle. fold these flaps back and place over your plant at an early age. Time and time again I see people have algae issues in hydro and then use peroxide...not entirely good for plants as it kills living bacteria that are beneficial to plants...and the problem could have been avoided by just covering the pot in the beginning....

You can't hijack here devilish, it's an open journal for any of Paytons pals to play :)

Damn straight! It's impossible to hijack this thread, so post away!

Good luck in the testing and interviews stumped. Sounds like you've got a lot of fun work ahead of you. Now if only I could get a work visa to go to Canada...

Take her to seed! Send me a couple!

WJ

Yea Jim I googled duckfoot. This isn't that I don't think.
Gonna wait another month before I post pics looking for another answer. Might be that duckshit I dunno. Didn't see Buddy's thread. Got me confused. Usually a clone from flowering plant will normalize leaf structure as soon as it starts growing again. This isn't, the structure seems to be getting even more fucked looking. From 3 blade mutants to 1 blade.

Hardly looks like a pot plant. Gonna clone it tomorrow and Chuck it in flower to see what it is. Once it roots of course lol

I had my DWC bucket in a tug large enough to have frozen gallon jugs of water. Sounds like you have a 1 gallon tug and 2" net pots. First, go to Wally World and get a tug as large as you can fit in your grow box and you can fit your DWC tug into. Then you can fit frozen bottles in the larger tug around the smaller DWC tug. I even used crushed ice and water in the outer tug to lower rez temps. You also should put water in it to make the ice last. No matter the size of water jug/bottle. Just keep the rez at 65F.

Putting ice in the water with the roots is bad for the roots, take it from me. I did it and roots died.

WJ

I answered before I saw the photos of his box. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom