Prairie's Trying Again - SCROG

Thank you. Stealth has been a major part of my design. Though I'm always looking for more ideals.

You can't see in the images, but my air pumps are in there too. I've tried many ways to quiet them down as much as possible. Hanging them from cords, bungie cords, in a muffled box (over heats if you forget air holes), all kinds of things. But no what as the pumps start to age, they start humming louder and louder.

A solution (as it happens a lot) came about on accident. On the left side of the closet I've built some shelves. The middle one holds my humidifier, which blows across the top of the screen. Below that I put a small tub, I thought I might try for a passive cooling system. during the setup for this grow, I put my two air pumps on top of the tub. One of the pumps had been getting louder, so I figured the valves were wearing out. But now I couldn't hear it at all. I'm thinking that the tub lid is able to give just enough and absorb the vibrations. Sort of like a large drum, the frequency is high enough, but the wave size is small, so no noticeable vibration sound.

Though I need to keep an eye on that pump and switch out soon. Does anyone rebuild your pumps, or just buy new ones, or is there a good high quality pump that last more than a year? Or is there a better way to get lots of air into the tub? I've bought used pumps at yard sales, then replaced the valves. Just not sure if that is cost effective over the long run.

Prairie

I used to order new diaphrams from he manufactuer, but now I use those cheaper Dual Whisperer Aquarium pumps from Walmart. After three grows, still no nosie or vibrations, but I hang them from the cords. I use two 14 inch aquarium air stones.

I used to order new diaphrams from he manufactuer, but now I use those cheaper Dual Whisperer Aquarium pumps from Walmart. After three grows, still no nosie or vibrations, but I hang them from the cords. I use two 14 inch aquarium air stones.

Thanks for taking a look Roseman, I've read many may of your posts, and have learned a lot from you.

I've done the hanging thing, and yeah the cheap air pumps work ok, But you must of have better luck than me. I'm lucky if they last two grows. Just bought two more last night, found a cheapo brand at WalMart for $10 for a dual. I'll put one of these in the existing closet, and pull out one of the old ones, put that and a new one in the new tub. I like having two pumps per tub, in case one goes out, I don't lose all of my air.

Got the new closet all cleaned out, and de-bugged. Light box is almost ready. got the tub cleaned and full of water and nutrients and pH'd last night.
Prairie

Hi Scaredeecat,

Thanks for the Rep!!

Got the girls into the new closet. You can see it is a patch work setup. So far I had most of everything laying around. All but the lights and sockets. $52 for 12 lights and sockets (GE 26 watt, 1750 lumens 6500K). The wife unit said I could do this, as long as I don't spend over $100. I might need some exhaust fans, but we will see. I can leave the door open that should help.

But haven't decided yet what to do.

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg
IMAG01511.jpg

I've been reading my brains out the last few weeks. From what Roseman and others say, my OG chocolate is the wrong strain to be growing in a bubbler. Takes to long to flower. DANG!!. The AK47multi blend did well, and only took 8 weeks to flower and harvest. And we love the medicinal properties of the OGC.

But the question running through my head is what to put in the bubbler now. The Sensi is farther along than I think would do well transplanting to hydro. I had thought to cut clones from her after the other closet is harvested. But I would prefer to start the clones now, so I can get it going then not wait so long between harvests. But I'm not sure if I can get decent clones from it. Guess I need to take a good look at it.

I also don't want to have two strains in the bubbler at once. OG or Sensi.... grrrrr

This morning checking the new closet, the temps were above 90. Way to hot. I put a room humidifier next to the closet and ran it. By noon, the temps were down to low 80's and after work tonight it was 77. With some better venting and placement of the humidifier I think 'll be able to control the temps. But should pull the floor out so I can sit the tub on the cement floor. I think that is what helped most in the other closet. I'll also put the lights on a timer for 18/6. Since the new genetics were all under a 1K HID, I'm hoping they won't hate this too much.

Live is never easy...
Prairie

Can we snag a pick of that CFL mounting in there? Looks pretty sweet!

SG

In the new closet? It is a piece of 3/8 plywood 13 inches wide, 52 inches long. Has twelve plastic light sockets (used for wiring boxes) screwed on.

That's it.

Prairie

Hi Scaredeecat,

Thanks for the Rep!!

Got the girls into the new closet. You can see it is a patch work setup. So far I had most of everything laying around. All but the lights and sockets. $52 for 12 lights and sockets (GE 26 watt, 1750 lumens 6500K). The wife unit said I could do this, as long as I don't spend over $100. I might need some exhaust fans, but we will see. I can leave the door open that should help.

But haven't decided yet what to do.

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg
IMAG01511.jpg

I've been reading my brains out the last few weeks. From what Roseman and others say, my OG chocolate is the wrong strain to be growing in a bubbler. Takes to long to flower. DANG!!. The AK47multi blend did well, and only took 8 weeks to flower and harvest. And we love the medicinal properties of the OGC.

But the question running through my head is what to put in the bubbler now. The Sensi is farther along than I think would do well transplanting to hydro. I had thought to cut clones from her after the other closet is harvested. But I would prefer to start the clones now, so I can get it going then not wait so long between harvests. But I'm not sure if I can get decent clones from it. Guess I need to take a good look at it.

I also don't want to have two strains in the bubbler at once. OG or Sensi.... grrrrr

This morning checking the new closet, the temps were above 90. Way to hot. I put a room humidifier next to the closet and ran it. By noon, the temps were down to low 80's and after work tonight it was 77. With some better venting and placement of the humidifier I think 'll be able to control the temps. But should pull the floor out so I can sit the tub on the cement floor. I think that is what helped most in the other closet. I'll also put the lights on a timer for 18/6. Since the new genetics were all under a 1K HID, I'm hoping they won't hate this too much.

Live is never easy...
Prairie

you could leave the door open but it will allow the light to escape, go for the exaust fans you will need it

I've been reading my brains out the last few weeks. From what Roseman and others say, my OG chocolate is the wrong strain to be growing in a bubbler. Takes to long to flower. DANG!!.

But the question running through my head is what to put in the bubbler now.

IMO, if the chocolate will like the bubbles less, toss the other one in :)
Nice little setup you've got rolling! :grinjoint:

Just looks pro, great stuff man. Is that a veg and flower or just a veg, sry if I missed it reading.

SG

Well thanks for the compliment. Though I see it more as just a cheap quick setup. I'm sure I'll be modifying it a lot, once I figure out venting. Ned to pull heat off of it and vent out. That will allow it to be set closer to the plants.

I would like to d a PVC setup, like the other closet. But I need to find some cheap sockets. The sockets in the other closet were not cheap ($3.00US something) and I need twelve to eighteen of them.

Prairie

you could leave the door open but it will allow the light to escape, go for the exaust fans you will need it

I agree Scaredeecat. I need things stealthy somewhat. Been running designs through my head. I think since the humdifier is working on keeping the temps down, this is what I'll do:

First thing, take the floor out so the tub can sit on the cement.
Second, cut out exhaust vent on the right side
third, fabricate the humidifier into the left side so it pulls outside air in while cooling the air.

That should work, and I'll work on that tonight. We have company coming this weekend, so everything needs to be done by Thursday evening.

Prairie

I agree Scaredeecat. I need things stealthy somewhat. Been running designs through my head. I think since the humdifier is working on keeping the temps down, this is what I'll do:

First thing, take the floor out so the tub can sit on the cement.
Second, cut out exhaust vent on the right side
third, fabricate the humidifier into the left side so it pulls outside air in while cooling the air.

That should work, and I'll work on that tonight. We have company coming this weekend, so everything needs to be done by Thursday evening.

Prairie

Power to ya on that fight! That could get tricky. Getting temps and humidity controlled like that always gives me a headache. One little warning - if you're using the humidifier to control temps, when you vent the space - even passively, but certainly with a fan - I think you will be surprised how much the humidity drops.

The setup is super nice. And I'm a HUGE fan of the scrog and yours is gonna be tits.

:nicethread::peace::rollit:

a fast growing Indica or a Indica-Sativa Mix!

Hey Roseman,

The Sensi Star is mostly Indica. I've watched two grows of it at my breeder. It grows fast and short, flowers out nicely.

The OG Chocolate, from what I can find is an almost pure sativa strain. It grows tall, slender, and slow.

The AK47-BlueBerry-Hawaiian is an unknown. Not sure where it came from. Actually, all my strains came from the same source to me. I've know him for close to 40 years. The OG and Sensi grew from seeds (OG came from an old friend that grew years ago). I've watched and helped in the grows since he started. The AK hybrid came from an exchange of genetic material, and not fully accepting what they said it was. Though we do like it.

I understand your reasoning for doing Indica over Sativa. Less flowering, less height to deal with. But on the medicinal values, my Prairie Princess (the reason I grow) says the OG helps more in handling the nausea from her chrons. With the Sensi coming in second. So my task would be to grow a better Sensi than what we've gotten from our source. I've not grown either (OG is in the old closet now at two weeks flowering). But I'm sure with your help and others I can do it.

Just that I'm still wavering.... :helpsmilie:
But I know the best thing would be to do the Sensi. Might even be possible it would harvest the same time as the OG in the old closet. I hope OG doesn't take 14 weeks to flower out.

Papa Green, thanks for the compliment. Never did SCROG before coming here and reading up on it. GOD, there is so much information here at 420Magazine, I'll never get caught up. Took me three weeks just to skim over most of Roseman's stuff. Some of it I knew, some of it I learned, but a lot of it I didn't know. I grew some 30 years ago, did ok with it, but in dirt. Doing hydro, fancy nuts, CFL's.... I can not express in the right words how happy it is to have found all of you here.

Prairie

+ REP for you, Prarie Poet!

Yea, I like the Indica for the fast flowering, couch lock high and bushy plant. Although I grow mostly N/L, which is a blend.

Thanks for the Rep...

Just got home, stopped and picked up a cheap fan that I will use as out vent on the new closet. Got the tub on the floor last night, and need to make some ducting on the humidifier.

Prairie

WOW!! This last week has been crazy. I was out of town Thursday and Friday, then left Saturday and got home last night.

Friday night i flushed three times, let them air out some, then put in new nuts and water. I set the lights as high as I dared, knowing I was going to get stretching. I had hoped far enough...

The original closet....
I ended up with four bud sites roasted. I gently clipped them off, and said a little prayer for it. Oh well, couldn't be helped. It did well. Plants thriving, looking very green, buds popping all over. The four plants dranked far less then and I thought. Only about three gallons in three days. I do anticipate the four doing four gallons a day. I'll have my work cut out for me.

here's the ladies...
IMAG0164.jpg

Looking very well, has about four inches since last Thursday.

IMAG01651.jpg

IMAG01661.jpg

Here are the ladies in the new closet. The one in the middle, turning yellow is my old mother. I'm replacing it with two of the shorter one, which are sisters to my mother.

IMAG0167.jpg

The Sensi Star is making clones tonight, just watered, then ran up here to post. she is in the farthest back, short squat sister.

IMAG01681.jpg

I'm in week four of flowering. The bud sites are popping up every where. I watched sisters of this grow in dirt to be about six to eight foot tall. And at least gaining three feet once buds appear. I really hope I have enough head space to hold these four plants.

The only problem I'm seeing right now is I'm not gettign the temps to drop enough at night. I only got about 5 degrees while I was gone. But I had the AC set to 76 all the time, which is not what I normally do. Hopefully now I'm home it will go back to normal.

Well that's it for now, need sleep...

Prairie

That scrog has filled in nicely! hope one day I can have a rockin setup like yours! keep up the good work!
~L~

Gah more pics that make me wanna go Scrog! Looks great man!

SG

Thanks for the compliments.

With summer upon us, and the Alpha Closet budding out, I feel a bit hurried. I had planned on working out a new light box, but now I'm not sure I'll find time. The fourth is this weekend and we usually have family over.

Prairie

Back
Top Bottom