Rosin Press: Information Thread

Pigeon you could take like a 2 ft length of wood/steel/whatever and wedge one end under like a lip of cabinet ot bench or whatever and have the iron close to that point giving you a long board or whatever cheater bar you use to get a lot of leverage on on the iron when you step on the cheater.

Prob should sneak up on it cuz you really could get a shit load of pressure dependin on how big of a bite you take but then again if you got that much on it depending on what you use for a cheater but that would prob give out before going to big on it.

You may have already gave the Ol "Portagee Press" a go already but if you haven't it would be quick and dirty to try it.

Have fun and thanks for the Vid man

If anyone goes this route I recommend taking the iron apart and mounting the plates to wood blocks. It will help support the plates and prevent them from cracking. You can apply a ton more pressure with the plates removed. Just be careful with the swivel connection in the hair straightener. Its live and will shock the S%$T out of you. I wrapped mine in electrical tape and all was good.(after the first painful shock lol.

It's is an oxygen and acetylene torch. Not for cutting but to heat metal up. It gets whatever you want hot....fast. :thumb:

Since you have a shop I would look at the adjustable soldering irons I got from the bay. They were like 10 bucks each and can maintain the heat very well. Drill a hole in some steel stock for the top and bottom late. The bay also has cheap K-type thermocouples that you can drill and mount into the side of the plate. I paid 20 bucks for a two probe thermocouple.

Search "adjustable soldering iron" on the bay and they come right up. Blue with a yellow adjustment dial for temp. Once mine get heated they stay there within +/- a few degrees.

Like Nismo said it is a type of tip/torch for a a oxy/accet that you can heat up say a 5x5x3in piece of metal stock eaisly to a very hi temp in a short time. I haven't tried doing that extraction yet but I have all the fixxin's down at the shop :)

And ya if set up a cheater deal you need to take care and like Shiggity said if you were not going to just do a one shot deal to test it you could make a big nutcracker type deal and remove the plates and affix them to the boards and rather than wedging it under a bench for leverage you could tie 2 boards together with a hinge and maybe a couple guides so everything stays aligned.

Use your head when working with heat, electricity or high pressure or you could hurt yourself. Long as you don't mess with it after 20 Dabs and use caution you should be ok but since all this stuff was Shiggity's idea if you blow yerself up plz send all complaints to him

:rofl:

I was looking at one that one of the local collectives is selling/stocking their line and had a couple diff options that would totally work and were from like 500 for the smaller and think it was 900 for the next size unit up to which you could add another 250 to get the pneumatic set up added on. I will have to look up the name and models cuz it seemed to be a fairly good price.

I won't be able to get a set up like that or even look into it very in depth until I change a few things for my set up moving forward. Mainly being more lighting and I want to move to LED. I eventually want to end up with a couple of Neil's Smaller lights (just ordered one of them), a PS1K and I want to build a array along the lines of what Growmau built and have talked to Dan at timber about getting that sorted.

Now i just need a Shuga Mama or win the lottery...............

Like Nismo said it is a type of tip/torch for a a oxy/accet that you can heat up say a 5x5x3in piece of metal stock eaisly to a very hi temp in a short time. I haven't tried doing that extraction yet but I have all the fixxin's down at the shop :)

And ya if set up a cheater deal you need to take care and like Shiggity said if you were not going to just do a one shot deal to test it you could make a big nutcracker type deal and remove the plates and affix them to the boards and rather than wedging it under a bench for leverage you could tie 2 boards together with a hinge and maybe a couple guides so everything stays aligned.

Use your head when working with heat, electricity or high pressure or you could hurt yourself. Long as you don't mess with it after 20 Dabs and use caution you should be ok but since all this stuff was Shiggity's idea if you blow yerself up plz send all complaints to him

I thought you weren't suppose to attempted life without 20 dabs?

Just a recommendation. Lots of folks are selling presses with frames very marked up. a few different companies are selling the platen kits that bolt right up to a press. Harbor freight 12 ton is 160 bucks or 20 ton for 200. I put my kit together for 486 dollars. It's a 12 ton frame with 5x5 plates. The smaller and more compact these units are the more they are charging you. You can also just add an air jack for 80-100 more dollars and press with a push of a finger.

Feel free to message me if you need helping finding platen kits as there are a few different companies I would recommend. Again just trying to save you some bucks if you're looking to invest. I didn't want to mess with clamps and flat irons because I'm clumsy and just could see myself doing something dumb.

I have also seen some good presses made with a table vise. The rosin will flow downward with gravity. It is also nice because vices are cheap and you can twist it to close and dont have to keep applying pressure like with an arbor press.

1. Don't send complaints to Shiggy.
2. When in doubt about whetr to send a complaint see #1
3. If you still want to complain follow the instructions in #2

I have a table vice. One of those things Dale left me.

image15634.jpeg

I kept it in hopes of somehow being able to use it for this purpose, but I haven't been successful. I haven't tried again since you all started focusing in on it either. One of these days I'll reread these pages and see if I can get pointers on making that work.

It's not every woman has a bench vice in her kitchen. :laughtwo:

Well I certainly do not want any blown up peoples contacting me.

I suck at the electronic internets and could even clear my browser history let alone scrub my name off. Just ask my girl Sage about my failure at purging my browser history from all ...errrrr "training film sites" LOL

SixSpeed is on it man. HF has pretty much everything you would need and they have good prices on most anything you would ever need.

Hell Sue i would settle for a Sweet n Low Mama or Splenda Moma even, Long as she has nuff to get us down to Costa Rica and she can keep me in rum I am in !!!

Well I certainly do not want any blown up peoples contacting me.

I suck at the electronic internets and could even clear my browser history let alone scrub my name off. Just ask my girl Sage about my failure at purging my browser history from all ...errrrr "training film sites" LOL

SixSpeed is on it man. HF has pretty much everything you would need and they have good prices on most anything you would ever need.

Hell Sue i would settle for a Sweet n Low Mama or Splenda Moma even, Long as she has nuff to get us down to Costa Rica and she can keep me in rum I am in !!!

:laughtwo: Hedging your bets with low financial expectations? There you go Billy. Money's the smallest part of the equation. Lol!

I have a table vice. One of those things Dale left me.

image15634.jpeg

I kept it in hopes of somehow being able to use it for this purpose, but I haven't been successful. I haven't tried again since you all started focusing in on it either. One of these days I'll reread these pages and see if I can get pointers on making that work.

It's not every woman has a bench vice in her kitchen. :laughtwo:

That vice is perfect. I would epoxy pieces of wood to the jaws. This will prevent thermal transfer from the plates to the metal, and we don't want to heat the press! Just the plates. The cheapest nicest plates are Joel W's. 150-175 plus two soldering irons means you could get set up under 200. Just slip a meat thermometer between the plates to get them temped. Joel makes some plates just for that kind of press. I would add a metal pipe so you could slip it over the bar that tightens the vice and get more leverage. Are you using hair straightener plates right now? You could get away for awhile with hair straightener plates and save up for Joel's 70% CUNI plates (copper nickel) his are cheap, handbuilt, and come with a lifetime replacement guarantee. I found Joel on a site that tells you to vape and F%^k smoking.

Shiggs, I ran across this article I thought you'd be interested in. I'm NOT recommending "Clear" and don't know that you'll learn much from it, but have a hunch you'll appreciate the read since you've got your own "Clear" going on!

Additive and Solvent-Free Breakthrough. The Cleanest Medicine Yet – REALfarmacy.com
:Namaste:

I think what they are doing is short path distillation. If you look it up it is very neat. They heat the cannabis extract in a boiling flask and run it though a cooling coil in a short path distillation. The collection vessel has a higher collector for terpenes and a lower collector for the distilled THC. Super neat method. But I don't like the fact that it removes the terpenes. Some do add it back to the mix but This will also let some unscrupulous folks add back terps That are not cannabis derived, or are for different strains. Imagine removing all the terps from a crappy tasting strain and adding back food safe D-Limonene and laboratory Beta myrcene. I shudder at that for some reason don't you? Still the science loving part of me thinks it's really interesting. I saw a lab on IG advertising that their terpless extract was the future. No thanks I replied. I will keep my terps!

Oh! Maybe! When I read:

their concentrate is solvent-free because the extraction process only utilizes a combination of heat and pressure.

I immediately thought of you! :)

That vice is perfect. I would epoxy pieces of wood to the jaws. This will prevent thermal transfer from the plates to the metal, and we don't want to heat the press! Just the plates. The cheapest nicest plates are Joel W's. 150-175 plus two soldering irons means you could get set up under 200. Just slip a meat thermometer between the plates to get them temped. Joel makes some plates just for that kind of press. I would add a metal pipe so you could slip it over the bar that tightens the vice and get more leverage. Are you using hair straightener plates right now? You could get away for awhile with hair straightener plates and save up for Joel's 70% CUNI plates (copper nickel) his are cheap, handbuilt, and come with a lifetime replacement guarantee. I found Joel on a site that tells you to vape and F%^k smoking.

Thanks, I'll adapt the vice with some wood, find a piece of pipe and check him out.

Guys got any advice on how to filter keif? Seems like they sell these bags/screens for a bundle, happy to stitch my own. Gonna use alot of pressure...20 ton...

Guys got any advice on how to filter keif? Seems like they sell these bags/screens for a bundle, happy to stitch my own. Gonna use alot of pressure...20 ton...

Check eBay they have some lower prices on there for 25 micron rosin bags. I paid 11 dollars for 10 of them when I ordered my plates.

Back
Top Bottom