Scarfinger68 - Aurora Indica - Soil - 600W Dimmable HPS - Indoor Closet Grow

These seeds were purchased in Aug 2013. I stored them in the refrigerator with rice. I was thinking they all went bad because I planted 1 Blue Dream that hadn't sprouted after 5 days. So I planed all of them to see if I had any survivors:

So far 3 Blue Dream, 1 Martian Kush and 1 Underdawg OG. 5 out of 12 so far. The key to keeping seeds in the refrigerator is... keep them in there. My wife took them out at least twice to clean which causes condensation which can use up their energy decreasing the germination chances.
P10101935.JPG

Nice, clean setup. From my experience, the Auroras will not stretch much. Very indica. But, get ready for some smell! Mine were the skunkiest plants I have grown. Love them!

They do have a great taste. They are a great strain overall.

My wife's favorite is Northern Lights. But I had to let all my plants die off because of unexpected move in guest. Before they died (talking about plants not people) I caught the designer strain bug. I purchased some Blue Dream and got a bunch of free seeds. I also just purchased some Blue Dream and Sour Kush thinking all my seeds went bad.

One of the free seeds in this purchase is Northern Lights x Chronic. My wife's eyes bugged out in excitement. I should just go ahead and buy some Northern Lights #5 and make her happy. But to me Northern Lights isn't sexy like Blue Dream and Sour Kush :) Oh well.

:Namaste:

Looking great there Scarfinger68 :thumb:

Regarding the LED glasses, after much research I went for the Method Seven LED grow glasses. Their lenses are supposed to be made by Zeiss which means I can trust them optically (Zeiss is well respected for their camera lenses), plus they are supposed to block the IR part of the spectrum along with the usual UV. I know the LED's I have use IR so these seem to be a great all rounder. I have some ordered and hopefully they'll be here soon (hoping today), once I've used them I'll do a little write up.

Happy growing and all the best :thumb:

Looking great there Scarfinger68 :thumb:

Regarding the LED glasses, after much research I went for the Method Seven LED grow glasses. Their lenses are supposed to be made by Zeiss which means I can trust them optically (Zeiss is well respected for their camera lenses), plus they are supposed to block the IR part of the spectrum along with the usual UV. I know the LED's I have use IR so these seem to be a great all rounder. I have some ordered and hopefully they'll be here soon (hoping today), once I've used them I'll do a little write up.

Happy growing and all the best :thumb:

:high-five:

These seeds were purchased in Aug 2013. I stored them in the refrigerator with rice. I was thinking they all went bad because I planted 1 Blue Dream that hadn't sprouted after 5 days. So I planed all of them to see if I had any survivors:

So far 3 Blue Dream, 1 Martian Kush and 1 Underdawg OG. 5 out of 12 so far. The key to keeping seeds in the refrigerator is... keep them in there. My wife took them out at least twice to clean which causes condensation which can use up their energy decreasing the germination chances.
P10101935.JPG

Well those 5 so far had some extra energy then :)
I have to soak my seeds first in water then wet paper towel to see that root first before planting. Only because we pay 5 to 10 dollars a seed I guess lol, we always sprout our fruit and veggies in soil.On the other side I can only store my expensive seeds in my dresser drawer to keep out of reach from my curious fridge raiding children.
Your AI plants are looking fine and will perk up when they dry up. How is the size of your plants now comparing to when you flowered in your former CFL Box?
I also wanted to show you these cfl clamp hoods I found at my grocery store meiyer for less than 10 bucks each. I put a splitter in like yours running 2 bulbs.I feel it could direct way more of that light to your plants and allow you to move them around easier plus help the eyes some too.I was trying to help the lower branches with side lighting so I can try and root them before flowering.They are look sad too probably from too much water and heat I think
daves_001108.JPG

I try not to look at my LEDs directly which are below eye level on my knees for me now which helps but the side light still is felt.Your LED sorta looks directed towards the prime viewing spot causing more need of eye protection unless you could reposition maybe:tokin:

Well those 5 so far had some extra energy then :)
I have to soak my seeds first in water then wet paper towel to see that root first before planting. Only because we pay 5 to 10 dollars a seed I guess lol, we always sprout our fruit and veggies in soil.On the other side I can only store my expensive seeds in my dresser drawer to keep out of reach from my curious fridge raiding children.
Your AI plants are looking fine and will perk up when they dry up. How is the size of your plants now comparing to when you flowered in your former CFL Box?
I also wanted to show you these cfl clamp hoods I found at my grocery store meiyer for less than 10 bucks each. I put a splitter in like yours running 2 bulbs.I feel it could direct way more of that light to your plants and allow you to move them around easier plus help the eyes some too.I was trying to help the lower branches with side lighting so I can try and root them before flowering.They are look sad too probably from too much water and heat I think
daves_001108.JPG

I try not to look at my LEDs directly which are below eye level on my knees for me now which helps but the side light still is felt.Your LED sorta looks directed towards the prime viewing spot causing more need of eye protection unless you could reposition maybe:tokin:

I should probably try the paper towel method. I usually end up digging down to find out what's going on anyways. One of my Blue Dream after 6 days, I picked the seed out of the dirt and cracked open the shell. Then put it back in the dirt and it sprouted. Probably not a recommended way to germinate :allgood:

I hear you on "hard on the eyes". I should wear sunglasses each time I go in but I don't always do it.

I have been growing in 24 oz. cups. last grow under CFL I tried some 1 gallon pots. I did top them last grow. This grow is HPS, 1 gallon pots and LST with no topping.

Last grow pics Aurora Indica under CFL
P10100318.JPG

P101003213.JPG

So I will have something to compare them too. I may have Veg'd the CFL grow a little longer. But? I was tired of watching this current AI VEG.

I actually bought a couple of those silver hoods/reflectors but only used them over one plant. Then switched to this "Y" connector set up for my CFL VEG for more lights/watts

Thanks for stopping by. Thanks for the advice.

Take care :)

Looking good Scar. Curious where is your ballast for your hps located?
Top left. Wanted to place it as high as I could to keep the heat away from the plants and close to the exhaust. I considered putting it on the other side of the right wall which would be in the attic. But it gets very hot in the attic and I thought it would be better inside the grow room to keep the ballast cooler with the air movement.
P10101845.JPG

That was going to be my suggestion to move it to another room that is. I run mine in the next room over but I also run a fan across the fins to help dissipate heat faster. I believe it will help longevity of the ballast aswell. There was a noticeable difference in temps when I touch it. If you can't move it maybe try running a small fan across it hooked to your light timer. Then check your temps again.

Increased ballast to 600w from 400w. Raised the light to 25 inches above the plants. Lux is reading 50k at center and 35k on the outer edges.

Turned on the G8 90w flower booster

P10102002.JPG

P10102031.JPG

Did some light training, LST using the rubber/plastic coated wire hangers.
P10102022.JPG

Will check my temps tomorrow and see how hot it's getting.

:peace:

That was going to be my suggestion to move it to another room that is. I run mine in the next room over but I also run a fan across the fins to help dissipate heat faster. I believe it will help longevity of the ballast aswell. There was a noticeable difference in temps when I touch it. If you can't move it maybe try running a small fan across it hooked to your light timer. Then check your temps again.

Yes definitely. I have a fan not doing anything right now. I will point it up there and check air movement.

I am thinking that 400 watts will be plenty for my grow. I may turn it back down from 600w to 400w if I can't control the temps.

Question! I just noticed a slight humming noise from the HPS light bulb? or maybe its from the ballast? Not positive. Is a humming noise common? (RF) Radio Frequencies noise maybe?

Big ole fan to vent the heat will make the plants love you :) Get all the air you can blowing across them. They will love you for it.

I vent a 4'x8' tent with a 430CFM. and it works for me. (6"inlet/outlet)

Ordered a 6" fan and a new filter for more exhaust/odor control :)

Temps hit 95 °F on full power, 600w. Turned light down to 400w and temps fell back to 84 °F. I have always had heat issues in this room. If I can keep temps under 90 °F, I will be happy.

Ordered a 6" fan for future upgrade to help exhaust more heat from the room. Also will be able to upgrade to a bigger 6" carbon filter. I purchased some "Sour Kush" and from what I have been reading, I will need good odor control.

watered on day 4 of Flower. Pics are today, day 5 of flower.

I added a DIY intake filter. A pack of three 30 day filters that cost around 4 dollars. I used one and doubled it up. Not HEPA filtration by any means but better than nothing.
P10102172.JPG

5/24 (5 days since last watering) Runoff is in the 7+. Plant look unhappy, slight yellowing at new growth. PH’d (6/6.5’ish) FF week 1 flower nutes at ½ strength (big bloom, grow big, tiger bloom) +1/2 tsp. of Cal/Mag. Plain water with runoff to check PH first, then nutes added. PH runoff with nutes is 6.5’ish.

Always chasing PH. Looks like I over corrected and now I have a high PH problem. I have one plant that looks like she will be the problem child. Twisted and crinkly new growth. I turned off the LED just in case it had something to do with it. I am leaning towards a copper problem cause by a high PH.

Problems with Copper being Locked out by pH Troubles
High pH along with highly compacted soil that has a lack of nitrogen.

Soil
Copper gets locked out of soil growing at pH levels of 2.0- 4.5
Copper is absorbed best in soil at a pH level of 5.0-7.5 (Wouldn’t recommend having a soil pH of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Copper deficiency.
I added nutes with a PH of 6.0 to help correct it
P10102122.JPG

P10102134.JPG

P10102143.JPG

I took pics one day after watering because they looked so sad. Today they are looking much better.
P10102163.JPG

P10102154.JPG

HPS is at 75% (approx. 450 watts) and temps are 84. As long as I can keep temps under 90 I will be happy.

In the mean time I have been reading up on HiBrix and wicking. I think HiBrix is going to be a little to complicated and expensive for me. But, I do like the living soil aspect of it. I am considering setting up a wicking system on one of these plants. Maybe the problem child one.

Thanks for stopping by :peace:

Nice journal Scarfinger, your plants look good. Going to look through your 1 gal. cfl grow too.

Have you checked into those insulating panels? Like these

Could you pull the carpet out of that room and put down some tile?

Subbed!

Nice journal Scarfinger, your plants look good. Going to look through your 1 gal. cfl grow too.

Could you pull the carpet out of that room and put down some tile?

Subbed!

That's a possibility but It sounds like a lot of work. Currently setting the plants on one of the walls from my CFL Flower Box.

I have the standard fiberglass type insulation around this room. Those insulating panels would be an option.

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom