Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon Haze

Re: Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon

Hey Snack, I'm sorry to see all your troubles.
Firstly, I'll have to say no more bending & supercropping until the girls have recovered, they've been stressed enough already.
I suspect the bulk of your issues are root rot related, it's going to need patience to see if that has cleared.
I would recommend you buying a RO system though if you wish to continue growing. The Great White & Myco Madness will get killed off by the chlorine in your tap water. These are great beneficials for your roots & will keep them healthy.
I'm not familiar with your nutes but as a rule of thumb, half strength dosage should be fine for them at this stage so just sit back & wait. If you can afford better nutes then Advanced Nutrients, Canna, Humoldt & House & Garden are a better choice. For now though, don't mess with them or water them until the pots are getting light & see if they pull through. :thumb:

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot & I'll do my best to help :)

Edit: They look better on this page :thumb:

Re: Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon

Subscribed snack420, I have not grown yet but after reading your first journal and now this journal I think you need some big dogs to come and help!! I'll see what I can do.

Thanks a million RSOiler! It's great to have more eyes on the situation and tips from some more experienced members. I see there are a few new replies and will read them as soon as I get a chance later today. (My job is getting in the way of my favorite hobby :)

:thanks: :thanks: & :peace:

In hydro I use and have only ever used canna Vega and flores a and b with no problems what so ever . I don't fix or change anything that is already working . I would lower the level of water in your buckets so it two inches away from the net pot . Always leave your water standing for a day before you add your nutes and use it . Now I've always been told you don't want any sort of organic living nute type stuff in Dwc system . I had root rot simply because I used superthrive in my system and its a big no no :) . If all new growth is nice and green stop worrying about your yellow leaves and be happy that all new growth is good . Like skunny and someone else said leave them alone and let them be for a few days :) everything else looks cool . I know absolutely nothing about coco but skunny is a expert . I've only ever grown in hydro .

Hi ya Snacks 420, sorry to hear about your situation :sorry: I wish I could help but I don't feel confident enough with my knowledge to advise but my husband is the brains anyway. Unfortunately being my caregiver has kept him too busy to be on much lately, but I'm subbed now & will try to get others :passitleft::Namaste:

:popcorn:subbed, but i'm only a little puppy :)
I saw different issues:N toxicity, phophorus def , RH too low, rootrot...imho all is curable :thumb:
let me take a few recommendation:
the root rot will be cure Ur Great White and Myco Madness,raise up RH,next few watering only with water(if u want can add vitamine B ,root boosters,beneficial bacterias and fungis but base nutes NO!)
don't use GHE nutes(unstable pH) yes they're cheap but not high class, i recommend Advanced nutes or Humbold gear
:Namaste:

Hey Hungaluz,

Thanks for your comments! I would like to raise the RH but the humidifier I tried only raised it by 1-2% :-( I'm also not convinced my RH readings are correct because I put a second hygrometer in the tent and it showed an RH of about 10% higher than the other one. I'm going to check it again in a couple of hours and will report back. Are there any good humidifiers that you could recommend for the purpose of really raising it up 10-20% ?

I guess GHE is General Hydroponics E<something>? Anyway, I was actually wondering if I'm using the right stuff, and your comment made me reconsider this. I'm going to hit the hydro store probably next week when I get a chance and see what else they have, but due to costs I'm sort of leaning toward using the stuff I still have at least through this grow. I think I will want to get better nutes for the next grow. I'll have to check in the Coco forums to see if there are specific recommendations for great nutes in Coco grows.

I flushed a bit last night and going to flush again tonight (with just water & FloraKleen, pH'd to 5.9)...

Thanks again!

Yeah, sorry, Snack, you been talking to yourself here haven't ya? :laughtwo: Please accept :420:'s apologies.

I'm glad you got away from DWC because I know nada about hydro, but coco coir is a bit different from typical soil, too. Have you read the journals by BigIrishDoode ? He was a Master at coco coir. :cheesygrinsmiley: I see you added mycos and that's a great idea - he was insistent about growing good biota in coco. And you might want to think about adding some azomite or volcanic powder to mineralize the coco - much better results that way.

As far as I can tell, you're doing ok now. The roots will take some to time to establish themselves in the new pots, so yeah, more patience is in order. I think they're safe now, although you need to be sure you don't overwater. Again, coco is tricky about moisture. It needs water more often than typical soil, but these roots need damp soil for now, not wet. I can tell you that the plant on the near left looks like a winner. The leaves are spiking up and the new growth is a rich electric green. The one on the back left looks decent, too.

I'm not sure how much help I've been, but RSOiler put out the word, and when I saw all those posts with no answer, I just had to pipe up. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hey Graytail, very happy that you piped in. Thanks for that!

Good advice about checking out BigIrishDoode's journals. I was poking around and saw he had a bunch of Coco-based grows and I'll definitely have to look at the details to see if I can extract some gems :3 I'm hitting the hydro shop next week so will look into more mycos and other biota, but for now I'm flushing and will actually be going away for about 4.5 days, so I'm hoping they'll be okay for that length of time. I *think* it should be okay since they are still in veg and not drinking that much, but I will give them a good soaking before heading out.

Good eye! The one on the front left is definitely the strongest of the bunch. She's real happy and seems to be doing very well. I think the back left is doing alright, but not enough leaves, and the front right is okay, but somewhat stunted. The back right seems to be in a different world. Not sure what to do with that one. It was the one with the worst root rot for sure when I pulled it out of the hydrotron.

I was told that in DWC, it is a good idea to flush every week or two. Does that same advice hold for Coco grows too?

Thanks again Graytail! :peace:

Hey Snack, I'm sorry to see all your troubles.
Firstly, I'll have to say no more bending & supercropping until the girls have recovered, they've been stressed enough already.
I suspect the bulk of your issues are root rot related, it's going to need patience to see if that has cleared.
I would recommend you buying a RO system though if you wish to continue growing. The Great White & Myco Madness will get killed off by the chlorine in your tap water. These are great beneficials for your roots & will keep them healthy.
I'm not familiar with your nutes but as a rule of thumb, half strength dosage should be fine for them at this stage so just sit back & wait. If you can afford better nutes then Advanced Nutrients, Canna, Humoldt & House & Garden are a better choice. For now though, don't mess with them or water them until the pots are getting light & see if they pull through. :thumb:

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot & I'll do my best to help :)

Edit: They look better on this page :thumb:

Hey skunnymonster. Thanks so much for commenting - I really appreciate it!

I am going to take your advice (and that of some others) and definitely give them a break and not supercrop or bend them anymore for at least a week. You're right, they've been stressed and most likely need some good rest without interference from me.

I am really torn about getting an RO system. Part of me wants to go and get it and have a plumber install it near my basement sink, but I've also heard that they tend to leak a lot and I don't want to have to deal with flooding down there. I'm also not 100% convinced that RO water is necessary in my case, but I am open to being swayed :) My city tap water comes in with a ppm of about 130-150 and according to the report from 3 years ago contains: Barium (2ppm), Mono-chloramine (4-MRDL ppm), Fluoride (4 ppm), Nitrate (10 ppm), Nitrite (1 ppm), Perchlorate (2 ppb), Total Trihalomethanes (80 ppb), Haloacetic Acids-5 (60 ppb), and total Coliform of 5%. Any idea how that sounds as far as whether or not the plants would like or dislike those water contents? I know that chlorine can be a problem, but I also know that my area uses chloramine instead, though I'm not sure if that is problematic, though I've read it often is not. Do you have any opinion based on the contents I listed?

Also, I will definitely check those nutes you recommended. As I posted a little while ago, I'm inclined to use up my existing nutes first, but I'm heading to the hydro store next week and will check if they have the nutes you mentioned and see how much they are. I do know they don't stock Canna for some reason, which I gathered seems to be a big favorite amongst growers here.

Thanks again for your tips!! :peace:

:passitleft:yep U can raise RH with subsonic humidor (i have DIY :)), about the nutes i think we have many ways to get a good harvest and everybody has his(her) tricks and favourite lines....but with different quality and quantity!I used DWC,top feed hydro with coco,with clay pebbles with different nutes GHE,General Organics(GHE),Canna Coco,Canna Aqua,H&G,Advanced Hydroponics,Advanced Nutrients.
I don't think about AN is the best on the world but for me very easy to use, it's pH perfect , so last 5 years i don't measured pH
:Namaste:

Hey brother! We are all here for you! I had the gnat problem also...They are a pain in the ass for sure! I will try to help as much as I can. I see you already have the strips, but I wouldn't recommend having them by your plants, I would put them higher in the tent. SNS makes a great line of pest control products also. I have also heard of the d_earth trick :cheesygrinsmiley: I have also used grow rocks on top of the coco/soil as my mentor BID had shown me. I will try to cruise by often. Keep reading and learning...I have learned so much here:reading420magazine:
:tokin:

High Snacks.
I was asked to come help as I am a coco kinda guy.
Looks like you're on top of things & you've got plenty of help.

I'll kick back & help when I can.

One quick issue.
Do NOT flush coco like a hydro grow. Do not flush unless you've a major problem, but never regularly.
Coco has a buffering element that is destroyed when you flush.
Nutes are way different too. The GH stuff isn't bad. Many awesome grows have come from that stuff.
I have a blog showing some of the stuff I've learned to use in coco. Might help in the future.

Good luck, you're doing great.

Hey there Snack for the Gnats which can cause your root issue try Microbe Lift BMC, it is a mostly natural product that has Microbes that eat the Larvae of the Gnats, combined with a slight breeze over the pots and some sticky traps you will control them in no time, and the Microbe lift is like $15-$20 and it treats many thousands of gallons of water many times over so it will go a long way.

Hey Negativenergy, thanks for that tip. I had never heard of Microbe Lift BMC, but will check it out. I did read about using Beneficial Microbes, so maybe this is one type of that. As of the last few days, things seem to be under control using the SNS203 mist I'm putting on the top of the Coco (basically 2 oz/g and pH'd water to 6). I'm misting that on the surface every couple of days. I also now have some diatomaceous earth and the yellow sticky traps, so hopefully (fingers crossed) that will keep the gnats at bay. If it seems they're acting up again though, I am definitely going to pursue the beneficial microbe route. Thanks for the advice as that stuff sounds very economical too, which never hurts :)

:thanks:

You guys & gal are "TOP SHELF" Thank you all, this is why I LOVE this place Sooooooo Much!!!!!! :circle-of-love: :adore:

Sweet. Good to see all these people chimed in. :goodjob: I was planning to write an essay of advice but I feel the pressure is off a little now which is good because I don't have vast amounts of indoor expertise. All I can say is reading threads here day after day has helped me loads. I have done a few grows with coco and although my yields weren't nearly as large as I hoped for (are they ever in the early days?) the plants health were great and end smoke quality was fantastic. These were done with Canna coco plus the full range of additives experimenting with different strengths for different grows. Although end results some what varied plants never got "sick". As soon as I tried another grow with a different coco nute range even at 50% I experienced severe nute burn. For me Canna was an easy start and I still think I'll switch back when these other nutes are done. I have not yet done a journal but hope to in a month or so time so maybe I get some good advice from the good people here. Anyway I'll try give some more sound suggestions where I can. :high-five:

You guys & gal are "TOP SHELF" Thank you all, this is why I LOVE this place Sooooooo Much!!!!!! :circle-of-love: :adore:

RSOiler, you were the first to join and said you'd put the word out for some help, and I can't thank you enough because the kindness has arrived in spades. So much support has emerged with awesome tips and guidance, and I really appreciate it a ton! It already seems like things are getting better and the girls are back on track. Thanks a lot buddy.

You are the bomb!

:thanks: :Namaste: :thanks: :Namaste:

I'm going away at the end of the week for a few days, not returning until early next week, but I should be able to post some more updates today and tomorrow before I head out. Planning to give them a good watering (with nutes) before I leave...

RSOiler, you were the first to join and said you'd put the word out for some help, and I can't thank you enough because the kindness has arrived in spades. So much support has emerged with awesome tips and guidance, and I really appreciate it a ton! It already seems like things are getting better and the girls are back on track. Thanks a lot buddy.

You are the bomb!

:thanks: :Namaste: :thanks: :Namaste:

I'm going away at the end of the week for a few days, not returning until early next week, but I should be able to post some more updates today and tomorrow before I head out. Planning to give them a good watering (with nutes) before I leave...

Your welcome Snack420, these guys are among the best of the best, I love the way other members are so willing to help others with their knowledge and then that person "pays it forward" to others in need of help. Keep the updates coming with pictures so they can get a good snapshot of what you are going through. I'm looking forward to you having a great harvest.
If Chronichemphog makes it over here and helps, you may want to try your hand a DWC one more time with his guidance (maybe)?

:welcome: :circle-of-love:

Hi snack-

First off, big props to you for keeping up with your plants and a journal when no one was helping. I'm glad to see support coming in from the 420 community. I wish I'd seen it earlier since I've been going through very similar problems. We could have compared notes. I'm nearing my chop now so hang in there. You can win this battle.

I'm a new grower so can't offer a lot of advice, but I'll tell you what happened to me and you can decide if it applies to your grow. I believe much of your problem is root-related. Once they clear up, you should get back on track - but probably with reduced yields and/or a longer veg time.

My grow is in rockwool with GH nutrients - so a somewhat similar "hydro-based" setup. Mine isnt DWC - just drain to waist. I also had big PH swings which I believe weakened my plants and allowed for other problems. My root problems are a result of root aphids, but any root problem results in similar leaf/plant issues. Your leaves look very much like mine did (burnt tips, yellowing, general lack of vigor). The good news is, if you can get it dialed in, you can still get some beautiful buds out of them. I plan to chop most of mine on Sunday which will be exactly 100 days since I started vegging (from cuttings).

Even though I acidified and rinsed the heck out of my grow medium, it still raised the PH quite a bit initially. Then I had problems with the PH of my medium and runoff being way low. I'd water or feed with 6.2 and runoff measured below 5.0. I added nutrients at 800 PPM and runoff got as high as 2,000 PPM! I found I needed to use more with each watering/feeding to keep the salts/crap from building up in the rockwool. I waste a little more water and nutrients but with about 1/3 runoff, my PH and TDS remain stable. I had been going with about 10% runoff. That's not enough, IMO.

I need to go back and review your journal more completely along with the help you have received, but I'm sub'd and here to offer support, if nothing else.

Excellent journal, BTW. Good luck!

Additional thoughts:
The Hydroguard is probably your best bet and insurance for getting rid of root rot. Don't continue to flush. Let the girls dry out some - both to help with the rot, but also to slow the gnats. Also, give them a rest. Don't over-add and change things. It takes time to see results from anything you do. With constant changes you never really know what did what and the stress on the plants isn't good, either. Without taking the nuclear option, I found pyrethrins reasonably effective against insects, both as a foliar and as a drench. Your water sounds fine to me. RO if you want, but those trace minerals then need to come from somewhere else. There is nothing so poor about your water that it needs filtering, IMO.

Snack, as my links say, I consider ALL my grows experiments and don't stick to just one thing. I have actually started a grow as a DWC and transplanted them outdoors, I also have done NFT and thats when I had the biggest gnat problem and as someone said before root rot was the biggest contributor, I have also grown Aeroponically and love my DIY Aerocloner. I have had success with all of them and as my outdoor growing brothers and sisters have all said you just can't beat outdoor sunlight, good soil, and a constant water source. I suggest you go to youtube and search Jorge Cervantes if you want a lot of info in a video format. Best of luck and keep 'em green :cheesygrinsmiley:
:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom