Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon Haze

Re: Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon

Subbed! Catching up now!

Trig

Hey Trig, and everyone else who has joined in the last few days, welcome! And thanks for the support. I really do appreciate it and hope to be able to help others as soon I get a better grip on growing with fewer speed bumps :)

So, I have a quick update to share and will write more tomorrow. The girls are looking like they are really moving in the right direction now. The leaves are filling out and perking up more and looking a healthier green than before. I'm hoping this means the root rot is dwindling away and it seems like the fungus gnat situation is under control now, or at least stabilized, as I haven't seen an increase in the amount caught in the last 4-5 days.

I'm going away in a little over 24 hours and will be gone for about 4-5 days, so I'm planning to water them thoroughly tomorrow night and will be very interested to see how they are doing when I return. I imagine they'll be a little dried out, but hopefully not too sad.

Here is the current environmental situation:

temps: 63 - 76 F
RH: 33 - 45% by hygrometer1 and currently 50% by hygrometer2 (which doesn't record a hi and low); I'm not sure which hygrometer to trust and am considering getting a slightly more expensive/reliable model as a third; any suggestions?
distance from plants to light: 22 - 25"
plant height (from top of coco to top of plant): 8.5 - 11.5 "

I noticed this morning that one of the sticky traps got knocked over and was face down on the tent :-( I guess the fan made it fall over. I tried cleaning the goo off with isopropyl alcohol 91%, but it didn't do that great of a job. Does any have a clue how to clean the sticky stuff off of something?

Thanks again everyone for the outpouring of support. It's really an awesome community here.

I'll be sure to post some pics tomorrow. Now I have to get into bed or I'll be in trouble :)

:circle-of-love:

Re: Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon

Ouch! Too bad you have to leave just when they are starting to turn around.
Here's hoping you find healthy girls upon your return.

Hi folks! Today I woke up and pulled back the tent to be greeted by a wonderful cannabis aroma. MMM, so sweet smelling. The resiliency of this plant never ceases to amaze me. As many folks suggested, it does seem that patience is key here and the roots apparently are taking hold because new growth is evident and looks healthy. Here are some pics from last night and this morning...

2015-04-14_22-55-47_777.jpg

2015-04-14_22-56-23_440.jpg

2015-04-14_22-54-58_55.jpg

2015-04-14_22-55-04_800.jpg

2015-04-15_09-05-57_29.jpg

2015-04-15_09-05-51_104.jpg

a closeup of the strongest girl

2015-04-15_09-06-50_348.jpg

Hygrometer #1 was reporting an RH of 34% while hygrometer #2 was reporting an RH of about 43%. Not really sure which one to trust at this point, but nonetheless I'm glad the RH is rising, because it was much lower a few weeks ago. As the temps have risen here and we've had a bit of rain, the RH has risen which seems very good.

2015-04-15_09-08-05_151.jpg

2015-04-15_09-08-21_105.jpg

2 nights ago I got 2g of water from the tap and added 10ml of H2O2, stirred it up and let it sit 24 hrs. Then, last night I added nutes. I'm using the week 3 (last week of veg on the schedule) from the GH drain to waste feeding schedule. It says to repeat week 3 for any plant staying in veg longer than that, and I'm thinking I'll probably be wanting to veg for maybe another month.

per 2g water mixture, using 50% strength -
Flora A - 7.5ml
Flora B - 2.5ml
CaliMagic - 5ml
RapidStart - 2.5ml
FloraliciousPlus - 1ml
Hydroguard - 4ml (100% strength)
BushDoctor Boomerang - 30ml
SNS203 - 2oz (half strength)

I also wanted to give a big shout out and thanks to Cannarborist, RSOiler, Hungaluz, Graytail, skunnymonster, NegativeEngery, britishgreen, Lady Bud, Subnoise, Hozona, cajuncelt, MajorPITA and Triggle for taking the time to stop by and share their experiences with me. I really couldn't do it without the 420mag community and it's really awesome to have so much support from this site.

Cannarborist, your comments about pH, letting the ladies rest, the female pre-flowers, and RH tips were great.
RSOiler, your willingness to spread the word and encourage some real experts to chime in for me was hugely valuable
Hungaluz, your suggestions on RH and subsonic humidors (which I need to research) and nutrient recommendation sounds very helpful
Graytail, recommending I check out BID's journals sounds brilliant and I also appreciate the tips about mycos, azomite, volcanic powder and insights on coco waterings
skunnymonster, your sage advice to let the ladies recover and rest, suggesting an RO solution (which I'm still pondering) and also recommending nutrient alternatives were well received
NegativeEnergy, the Microbe Lift BMC suggestion for dealing with the fungus gnats is one I hadn't come across and seems very interesting
britishgreen, you also had a good nutrient suggestion (lots of love for Canna and Advanced Nutrients is what I'm hearing here!) and appreciate the advice about leaving the water for 24 hrs which I did with my first grow, but initially didn't follow through on that with this grow
Lady Bud, for your sympathy and willingness to assist
Subnoise, who also echoed the importance of letting them rest
Hozona, who addressed the gnat problem in various ways and mentioned that he/she learned a lot from BID, which is another endorsement I need to look into
cajuncelt, for sharing what seems like very important advice about NOT flush Coco; also where can I find your blog you mentioned?
MajorPITA, for his/her thoughtful story and suggestions; understanding the effect of root problems really made me understand more about what is going on and it's refreshing to hear from someone who has gone through the same sort of thing and was still able to get some good buds ready for harvest; also adding the key understanding that it takes time for changes to happen, so again, patience is a virtue in this endeavor :)
Triggle, for joining in the journey

Thanks to all of you!!!
:Namaste:

Oh, and btw, I found a couple of references online that mention yellow sticky trap glue can be removed using vegetable oil or vinegar or Goo-B-Gone. Pretty sure I have all 3 of those, so I should be sorted with that issue.

:thanks: and :peace:

Wow - what a difference! The girls are looking mighty fine! :goodjob:
<-- BTW, the Major is a he. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Now that's an update and a fine write up. :Namaste:

Gods speed Snacks your babies need you at home. :green_heart:

Seven weeks of veg will be nice but eight would be better. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Snack! Nice save buddy! Big ups to Cannarborist for the early save. What a bunch of great folks we got here and just like that, BOOM! You're back on track. I don't want to echo anybody else and it looks like you've taken the advice in stride and applied it well. My only advice for the moment and moving forward is to just keep it simple.

It may be tempting to start cutting/bending etc. now that they are getting perked up but resist that for another week or so. They'll tell you when they need some attention. Stay true to your original goals and be fluid. Keep up the good work!

I'm about to go on a +REP fest and I'm starting with you!

Trig

Hey Snack looking good brother. One thing I did notice in your last update. Correct me if I'm wrong here. From my understanding hydroguard is beneficials that eat the root rot. While h202 is known to kill off beneficials. I'm not sure running the 2 together is of any benefit. I could be incorrect, but I used h202 in my cloner with no relief to the brown slime. Switched over to hydroguard and stopped using h2o2 and my slime disappeared. Any thoughts from others? Hydroguard is pricy to potentialy void it with the h202.

Now that's an update and a fine write up. :Namaste:

Gods speed Snacks your babies need you at home. :green_heart:

Seven weeks of veg will be nice but eight would be better. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks a lot RSOiler :Namaste:

I got back from my trip a little while ago and should have an update from the garden soon... :volcano-smiley:

UPDATE.....UPDATE.....UPDATE......get the hint :cheesygrinsmiley:

HAPPY 420 SNACKS :green_heart:

First off, Happy 4/20 today everyone!!! Hope you all had a very kind day :)

Snack! Nice save buddy! Big ups to Cannarborist for the early save. What a bunch of great folks we got here and just like that, BOOM! You're back on track. I don't want to echo anybody else and it looks like you've taken the advice in stride and applied it well. My only advice for the moment and moving forward is to just keep it simple.

It may be tempting to start cutting/bending etc. now that they are getting perked up but resist that for another week or so. They'll tell you when they need some attention. Stay true to your original goals and be fluid. Keep up the good work!

I'm about to go on a +REP fest and I'm starting with you!

Trig

Yeah Trig, the rest from the last few days has definitely seemed to have helped. They are looking pretty amazing at the moment, with lots of new growth and beautifully vibrant green leaves :)

I agree that "keeping it simple" sounds like a valid strategy, and one that is more likely to keep the girls, and myself, more sane. Definitely great to have such an awesome community here!

Hey Snack looking good brother. One thing I did notice in your last update. Correct me if I'm wrong here. From my understanding hydroguard is beneficials that eat the root rot. While h202 is known to kill off beneficials. I'm not sure running the 2 together is of any benefit. I could be incorrect, but I used h202 in my cloner with no relief to the brown slime. Switched over to hydroguard and stopped using h2o2 and my slime disappeared. Any thoughts from others? Hydroguard is pricy to potentialy void it with the h202.

Hey Subnoise, you raise a good question about using Hydroguard and H2O2 together, but I researched it and believe I'm using it in a way that doesn't conflict, though I am rather inexperienced in this area, so not totally sure and would welcome hearing from anyone more in the know.

What I'm currently doing is mixing in H2O2 initially (5 ml/g) in tap water and leaving that for 24 hours. My understanding is the H2O2 kills off most of the bacteria and then dissipates over the course of that time (roughly 24 hours). Once that times passes, I add the nutrients and Hydroguard and water the plants either that day or the next. Does that sound reasonable? I definitely don't want to waste Hydroguard.

UPDATE.....UPDATE.....UPDATE......get the hint :cheesygrinsmiley:

HAPPY 420 SNACKS :green_heart:

Absolutely brother! :)

Here are what seem like some inspiring pics from today!

4/20, all 4
2015-04-20_17-24-47_879.jpg

back 2
2015-04-20_17-25-58_165.jpg

front 2
2015-04-20_17-26-02_941.jpg

side view of all 4
2015-04-20_17-26-26_417.jpg

bigger one in the front left
2015-04-20_17-26-33_929.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to hit the hydro store and may pick up some extra nutes to be used during flowering - possibly something for bulking and/or taste. I also started reading the first couple of pages of BID's 6.0 journal where he mentions Hi-Brix Coco, and I gather Hi-Brix is some sort of molasses which a lot people say will help during the flowering (and maybe vegging) phase. Wondering if I should get some and mix it into the Coco?

I'd also like to think about trying to change the shape of two of the plants (back left and front right) which are growing a little more Xmas tree shape than inverted Xmas trees, which is what I want. Not sure, but I may look to do a bit of training and/or trimming. Any thoughts on that?

As always, I appreciate any and all comments. :thanks:
:Namaste:

The girls are looking great Snacks, a nice 420 present. Everybody has their own way of growing, some top early & often plus LST, some add a sgrog (Screen of green). Just thinking out loud Snacks, can't wait to hear what the journeymen of growing think.

The girls are looking great Snacks, a nice 420 present. Everybody has their own way of growing, some top early & often plus LST, some add a sgrog (Screen of green). Just thinking out loud Snacks, can't wait to hear what the journeymen of growing think.

Thanks RSOiler! I'm real happy with the way they've been responding since coming back on Monday. They are filling out quite a bit now and looking very healthy so I'm hopeful that the root rot issue is now behind us.

On Tuesday, 4/21 I fed them and added some new nutes I picked up as well...

2015-04-21_12-58-25_310.jpg

The Flora Nectar won't be used until flowering time, but I added the other two to the mix (Diamond Nectar and the Pure Blend Tea since they were out of GH's Flora Blend). So, this time they got a 50% strength mix in 2g (amongst all 4) of:

Flora A - 7.5ml
Flora B - 2.5
CaliMagic - 5
RapidStart - 2.5
Diamond Nectar - 5
Floralicious Plus - 1
Pure Blend Tea - 5
Hydroguard - 4
SNS 203 - 1 oz (I dropped this from 2 oz last time since it seems quite strong and they healthier the plants the more resistant to fungus gnats)

I brought the pH down from 6.2 to 5.8 (with 20 drops of pH down) and ended up with:

pH - 5.8
ppm - 900
mS/cm - 1.25 (does anyone have comments about this #? I'm not too familiar with whether I should be closely monitoring it)
Celsius - 16

So each plant got about 1/2 g with around 20% runoff. Two of the smaller ones ran off more and the big one didn't runoff initially, so I sucked out some of the overflow from the other two and watered the big one with that too. Hopefully that should be alright. Depending on how they respond, I may increase the nute strength to 75% over the coming weeks.

I also took Hozona's suggestion and hung a fresh yellow sticky trap from the light fan and it already caught one gnat. I removed the other stickies as I'm not crazy about them coming into contact with the lower leaves. I also succeeded in removing some yellow sticky glue from the tent floor using vegetable oil. Oh, and I mixed in some fresh diatomaceous earth into the top layer of coco. For my next grow I plan to mix this in from the beginning which will hopefully help prevent gnats from the outset.

Here is how they looked two days ago. I should have some more pics in the next 2-3 days too...

2015-04-21_21-30-05_481.jpg

2015-04-21_21-52-46_600.jpg

I'm already thinking about my next grow :) and for that, I'm thinking two plants, spaced wider, with the thought of building a manifold/main-line and ScrOGing them to get two very bushy plants. I also wonder if I should use smart pots instead of plastic pots to allow better air circulation for the roots. Any thoughts on that? I have some indica-dominant seeds that I'm looking to use for next time, but I'm getting ahead of myself now. I need to get a successful harvest first! ;)

Your looking good now Snacks, keep it simple and listen to your 420 brothers & sisters here on 420 mag and lets get this to a sweet harvest. As for your next grow, if you start planning it now you won't spend so much time thinking of more stuff that you "DON'T" need to do to this grow. LMAO. Growing two Indica's for two months veg and top early and often can give you 40 or more tops per plant, even more if you use a scrog, saves on yoyo's. Anyway you plan it, it will be killer, and I'll be here to watch. I'm no help but I love to learn.

Your looking good now Snacks, keep it simple and listen to your 420 brothers & sisters here on 420 mag and lets get this to a sweet harvest. As for your next grow, if you start planning it now you won't spend so much time thinking of more stuff that you "DON'T" need to do to this grow. LMAO. Growing two Indica's for two months veg and top early and often can give you 40 or more tops per plant, even more if you use a scrog, saves on yoyo's. Anyway you plan it, it will be killer, and I'll be here to watch. I'm no help but I love to learn.

Hey RSOiler, I appreciate the show of confidence in my abilities :high-five: I do have a tendency to get a little OCD on them at times, but am working on that.

Last night I fed them a fresh nute mix with the only change from the last feeding being that I did decide to use 2oz of SNS203 instead of 1oz, just in case there are gnats or larva lurking in the medium. Those critters can really ruin things if they are allowed to prosper. I know from experience where they did some damage during veg on my first grow.

It looks like I'll be feeding every 2-3 days for now, probably until they switch over to flower mode, which I'm anticipating doing in about 2 weeks. It will depend on how fast they grow because I can't let them get too tall due to limitations with my growing space - only 7' ceilings and 6' tent (roughly), and of course I need to allow room for the light hood and not scorch the buds from being too close to the 600W HPS.

Since the back left and front right plant both had a single growth coming up the middle that was eclipsing the others, I decided to FIM both of those using my thumb and forefinger, just taking off the very top part of the new growth. If I did this correctly, they should bush out a bit over the next week or so, just in time for flipping them to 12/12. I also rotated those babies around 180 degrees since they were starting to lean into the center toward the brightest part of the light.

I'll plan to post some more pics over the weekend... Wishing everyone a very fine day and a kind weekend too. :rollit:

Hi friends! So, I didn't get a chance to post an update over the weekend, but I have one now :thumb:

Not a huge amount to report other than to say things are still moving in a positive direction.

I got a tower fan and replaced the smaller desk fan. The tower should move more air across the full length of the plants which I feel may be an improvement in air circulation for them. Since the spring temps here are warming up too, I don't think I need the heater anymore, so I moved that out of the tent too. Temps are ranging from 60 - 75 or so, and RH is in the high 20s to mid 40s. As mentioned before though, I'm a little suspicious of my hygrometer's RH readings, and have another one on order. Oh, and I also gently tied down a couple of the main cola branches on the back left and front right plants in order to allow the lower branches to get more light and hopefully cause more bushy plants. I'll probably tie them back a bit more over the next week to try and get some nice flat canopies before switching them over to 12/12.

Without further ado, here are some pics from yesterday and today. I am noticing some minor discoloring on the edges of a few of the new leaves closest to the top, but haven't researched it yet. It doesn't look terribly worrying, but it would be nice to understand what it means...

2015-04-27_08-58-11_488.jpg

2015-04-26_22-22-41_500.jpg

2015-04-26_22-22-13_74.jpg

2015-04-26_22-22-08_447.jpg

2015-04-26_22-21-53_15.jpg

2015-04-26_22-22-03_180.jpg

As always, thanks for following along, and of course, for all of the 420 support too! :thanks:

Looks like you have some happy girls there. Any Idea how long you are going to veg?

Looks like you have some happy girls there. Any Idea how long you are going to veg?

:smokin: thanks RSOiler

I'd like to veg as long as possible, but given my space restraints I'll have to switch them over fairly soon as I know they'll stretch a decent amount in flower. They are all around a foot tall now and I don't want them getting taller than 18" in veg, so I'll likely have to switch them within 2 weeks or so. I initially transplanted them on 3/9, so 2 weeks more will basically be about 2 months of veg time. However, since the initial root rot problem in DWC happened, I suspect they lost of few weeks of solid growth as a result.

They're definitely bouncing back nicely now though!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

They look So much better, Snack! :thumb:

I wonder if that discoloration isn't windburn ... ? New fan, relatively low humidity ... ?

But they're all clearly doing great. Nice save!

Back
Top Bottom