I'm really enjoying the Vivosun app, it's giving me peace of mind as I hadn't been home to check on things in 24 hours. From it I can tell that the lights and fans are running and that my humidity isn't going above 60%. Also that my furnace is still running thanks to the outside temps lol. Really great way to keep tabs on things even though the girls are currently in the doldrums of veg.
Screenshot_20231213-203229.png

I had a couple of fungus gnats running around so I let the reservoirs run dry and the top soil dry out and added a nice dusting of diatomaceous earth and lightly mixed it in. I filled the reservoirs and left the fans off for a few hours to make sure I didn't fill the tent with diatomaceous dust. Just checked on them and the soil is now just slightly damp on top.

Here's a pic update of the girls, the blueberry is throwing out a weird set of leaves but looks healthy and the wedding crasher is got its faith set coming in so it'll be topped in a day or two. The purple haze is behind and hopefully it'll get its first set of leaves so I can ramp the lights into the veg setting. Also there is a couple white spots on the plant from the diatomaceous earth I couldn't get off.
PXL_20231214_014339564.jpg
Purple Haze

PXL_20231214_014233396.jpg
Blueberry with a stubby leaf

PXL_20231214_014421480.jpg
PXL_20231214_014138538.jpg

Wedding Crasher, nodes are pretty tight and the plant is super green, should be able to top in a day or two.

Today was the day of the topping for the Blueberry and the Wedding crasher. The Wedding Crasher is going to be quadlined and the Blueberry is just going to be topped and trained. Also I top fed with a half cup of worm castings and 3 tbsp of Gaia Green All purpose and 1 tbsp of Gaia Green Bloom. The Purple Haze is 14ish days old, and the Blueberry and Wedding Crasher are 21 days.

PXL_20231216_135243119.jpg

Before the topping and feeding

PXL_20231216_135840885.jpg
PXL_20231216_140429246.jpg

The quadlined Wedding Crasher

PXL_20231216_140248154.jpg

Blueberry post topped

PXL_20231216_140253976.jpg

Purple Haze

PXL_20231216_142246243.jpg

Post water/topping
PXL_20231216_142717928.jpg

Didn't even think and topped up the reservoir right after top watering the nutes in. Lol thank god that insert is water proof.

They about to take off on that bucket system. Looks like they are living it.
So far everything is easy going haha knock on 🪵. But ya the SIPs are awesome, shooting for 40ish days veg and then the big flip, being as it's only a 5' tall tent I'm going to be training to keep everything short and bushy.

Looking sweet!

Are those the recommended Temp and Rh according to Vivosun for seedling?

@Gee64 might help ya out here

IMG_8923.jpeg

This reads the same as your Vivosun device. 1.2 VPD

But your leaf temps will be in celsius likely 3-4 degrees lower. Lowish humidity means a bigger differential (water conducts heat better)

You’re probably more like this

IMG_8925.jpeg

0.7 not too shabby - this stage you want 0.9 (and good job its not 1.2 bit high now. From veg through flower 1.2 is great for most people. But now 0.9.

But if you could do this:

IMG_8926.jpeg

Hotter and more humid and perfect VPD.

Beautiful for seedlings. I’ll have a look if you can calibrate the leaf offset in the Vivosun device - I know @Bill284 has one too and he’ll be interested. You’ll need an IR thermometer to take leaf temps. Amazon or whatever $10-20

But as mentioned @Gee64 probably the guy for this.

I’m more not and humid for seedlings that will do!

Even its 0.7 right now that’s really good.

Nick

Looking sweet!

Are those the recommended Temp and Rh according to Vivosun for seedling?

@Gee64 might help ya out here

IMG_8923.jpeg

This reads the same as your Vivosun device. 1.2 VPD

But your leaf temps will be in celsius likely 3-4 degrees lower. Lowish humidity means a bigger differential (water conducts heat better)

You’re probably more like this

IMG_8925.jpeg

0.7 not too shabby - this stage you want 0.9 (and good job its not 1.2 bit high now. From veg through flower 1.2 is great for most people. But now 0.9.

But if you could do this:

IMG_8926.jpeg

Hotter and more humid and perfect VPD.

Beautiful for seedlings. I’ll have a look if you can calibrate the leaf offset in the Vivosun device - I know @Bill284 has one too and he’ll be interested. You’ll need an IR thermometer to take leaf temps. Amazon or whatever $10-20

But as mentioned @Gee64 probably the guy for this.

I’m more not and humid for seedlings that will do!

Even its 0.7 right now that’s really good.

Nick
So I'll be honest the recommended Vivosun set up was for seedlings was running the light at 60% and 30" and circulation fan speed at 2 or 3 but I started to get light burn so I backed off the power to 40% for a week lowered the circulation fan speed.

I haven't really dove into the VPD stuff. I've just been using the @NickHardy trademarked "eyes and skin" when fiddling around in the tent, and adjusting to find a spot where my plants are just slightly praying.

So I'll be honest the recommended Vivosun set up was for seedlings was running the light at 60% and 30" and circulation fan speed at 2 or 3 but I started to get light burn so I backed off the power to 40% for a week lowered the circulation fan speed.

I haven't really dove into the VPD stuff. I've just been using the @NickHardy trademarked "eyes and skin" when fiddling around in the tent, and adjusting to find a spot where my plants are just slightly praying.
Mate - 100% figure it out with your own sensors first.

Rule #1 For Growing
Learn to read the plants

I promise that is the the best advice I was ever given by an OG Commercial Farmer.

❤️

Ignore VPD.

All your really need is Ph, EC (or PPM), Temp and Rh.

Nick

Ps its Skin&Eyes

🤣🤣🤣
Made my day buddy!

Mate - 100% figure it out with your own sensors first.

Rule #1 For Growing
Learn to read the plants

I promise that is the the best advice I was ever given by an OG Commercial Farmer.

❤️

Ignore VPD.

All your really need is Ph, EC (or PPM), Temp and Rh.

Nick

Ps its Skin&Eyes

🤣🤣🤣
Made my day buddy!
Haha I had to slip it in there. Honestly it's great advice to read the plants. When I had a coral reef tank it was most successful when I just stuck to the basics and didn't get all caught up matching the ideal numbers. That's my plan for this one, plus the Vivosun Growhub makes it easy to add some numbers to what I'm seeing with the plants.

Haha I had to slip it in there. Honestly it's great advice to read the plants. When I had a coral reef tank it was most successful when I just stuck to the basics and didn't get all caught up matching the ideal numbers. That's my plan for this one, plus the Vivosun Growhub makes it easy to add some numbers to what I'm seeing with the plants.
Im there with ya. I have forgotten many things but I would have remembered VPD. Stands out like STD..lol. But I can't remember ever hearing of it 20yrs ago and my plants grew just fine. There was good humidity and bad. Ya watched your plants and acted accordingly. Common sense less in flower.
I read a guy's thread recently who spoke of VPD. Ultimately he ends up saying if ya have a solid root system your plants will thrive. I believe that for the most part.
I did a greenhouse grow a few yrs ago. Horrible conditions...I mean horrible. 100+ days with the rh 100%. They flourished though. I'm sure VPD readings would have been off the hook..lol. yet they grew. When I finished the silica I'd been adding made for some nice root systems. 7gal bags.
Not knocking the vpd. Just wonder where it came from.

Im there with ya. I have forgotten many things but I would have remembered VPD. Stands out like STD..lol. But I can't remember ever hearing of it 20yrs ago and my plants grew just fine. There was good humidity and bad. Ya watched your plants and acted accordingly. Common sense less in flower.
I read a guy's thread recently who spoke of VPD. Ultimately he ends up saying if ya have a solid root system your plants will thrive. I believe that for the most part.
I did a greenhouse grow a few yrs ago. Horrible conditions...I mean horrible. 100+ days with the rh 100%. They flourished though. I'm sure VPD readings would have been off the hook..lol. yet they grew. When I finished the silica I'd been adding made for some nice root systems. 7gal bags.
Not knocking the vpd. Just wonder where it came from.
So tour greenhouse with 100Rh you were probably running hot too as well? 36c 100F?

That brings you into a pretty good VPD (turns out, because I never thought of it my first grows,) as long as you had boss level airflow and ventilation you’d have got great results I reckon!

So the Purple haze has been what's holding me up from flipping to the Veg settings on the lights, it's got its first true leaves today so I've just activated the Veg cycle. I may have to back the light intensity down a hair and build to 60%. My plan is 21 more days of veg and then flower. This may change depending on how well the SIP works and how rampant the growth gets.

The girls responded well to the topping and I should hopefully see so added growth after the feeding. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

It's been a long day of work and I did a quick check and leaf tuck on the Blueberry to allow some of the new growth to get some light after topping. Just a quick pic and a snap shot of the Vivosun app after switching to Veg settings. I'll post some close ups in a day or two showing the growth, everything still looks healthy and green.

PXL_20231219_003650589.jpg

Screenshot_20231218-210410.png

Well just got home from work and my room with my tent in it smelled like growing weed and what a delightful smell it is. Really missed it over the years.

I believe the Wedding crasher roots has hit the reservoir because it has gone through 1 leaf on the stick(a quart I'm guessing) a day over the last 2 days. The quad tops are throwing out new growth that is quite noticable by the day and thick stems, the fan leaf stems are even quite thick. I think I'll start training tomorrow to separate the tops.
PXL_20231221_204520651.jpg

The Blueberry is just behind the Wedding crasher in size but she is got to be close to taking off. I just top her and am not planning on quadling her just to try a different technique. She is staying squatty but hopefully will gain some steam when the roots hit the res.
PXL_20231221_204524275.jpg

The purple haze is plugging along. It will unfortunately be at the mercy of the other 2 girls for this grow. I'm not sure if I will do anything other than LST because I don't want any sort of delay from topping because she's already behind. She may have one small sun spot from turning up the lights but looks really nice.
PXL_20231221_204527843.jpg

Here's the a quick view at the current tent environment.
Screenshot_20231221-163359.png

So today the blueberry and wedding crasher got some training in. I am for sure rusty at super cropping, but the plants should recover nicely the stalks were much thicker than I thought they would be, even the newer growth has dense thick stalks.

Quadlined Wedding Crasher
PXL_20231223_002511786.jpg

Topped Blueberry, which is growing really weird mostly on one side
PXL_20231223_002516006.jpg

Purple haze, untrained and 1 week behind the others
PXL_20231223_002520796.jpg

Purple Haze, I wasn't going to top it but it was starting to stretch so off with her head.
PXL_20231223_155022217.jpg

Blueberry, super cropped and trained, one of the main tops never grew in after topping so I'm thinking that's why the growth is not uniform
PXL_20231223_155027711.jpg

PXL_20231223_154852539.jpg

Wedding Crasher, quadlined and super cropped
PXL_20231223_155031311.jpg

PXL_20231223_154830751.jpg

There are some small splits where I super cropped, will they be ok? I've seen people use tape with real bad splits. These don't look super bad to me and I thought I mashed the stems good but they were really thick.

Back
Top Bottom