Testing New LED Lights vs 1000w HPS

Wonder how much radiant heat (IR) plays in bud and trichome production, I know UV plays a part but what about IR? Obviously the LED's will have zero emissions in that range and we all know who have been close to one that HID's make better room heaters than 1000W room heaters do so they put out plenty in the low frequency range just like the sun does especially those fall days as sunlight has to pass through progressively more atmosphere.

Ramblin....sure you all know why :grinjoint:

These LED's have IR bulbs in their array. I think one bulb per group, although I'm not sure about the quantity.

Forgetting for a second what the manufacturers claim. How much of a difference do you think adding an extra 126w panel would make? That would still be a 2:1 power savings. Or do you think it would actually take equivalent watts to get equal results?

It would certainly add to the coverage area and yeild /sq. foot but will it help a plant under another light?..If you notice Cammie has a ton of panels incircling the plants so that plants will get light from more then one panel and added side lighting. Alot different then just flat panel over a plant.
I'm convinced we could do alot better on our end though....let's see how you guys do now

It would certainly add to the coverage area and yeild /sq. foot but will it help a plant under another light?..If you notice Cammie has a ton of panels incircling the plants so that plants will get light from more then one panel and added side lighting. Alot different then just flat panel over a plant.
I'm convinced we could do alot better on our end though....let's see how you guys do now

I noticed that awhile ago. I said back when I was questioning coverage area that I thought I should have gone with more of the 63w instead of less of the 126w. I think being able to have the light come from all over would be better than a big flat panel.

I would say my yield on the LED side will may be 1/2 of what it could have been, if that, although I should still have a decent yield. I've got 4 more beans in dirt right now under a new 126w. I think this run will really show me what I can do with them. I'll eventually have 2 - 126w for 4 plants in 3 gallon smart pots. I think irishboy's got the journal with the least screw ups that I know of, although I'm sure he'd say he could do better next run too.

My cab is 4x2x6 and i have it split into two equal areas about 24" wide and 20" deep. I have room to put a 126 and 63 side x side on each side, but i think i am going to center the 126 above and use the 63 for side light. I'm gonna order another set of 126/63 to mirror the other side of the cab, and then order 2 more 63's (1 each per side) so i'll have a 126 above and 2 63's on each side.

Cammie recommended 3 126's for my total area, but i think I'm going with the surround all sides with 63's based on from what i've seen of the top only LED grows.

Whatcha think on putting 30 degree angle on the side lights? If i had one on each side and the 126 on top @ 60 degree in my small area i think it will be right for my set-up.

E1

Eagle as I understand it the narrower view angle gives you deeper penetration at the expense of coverage. Given the dimensions of your room you will probably not see a big gain from going with the 30 degree angle on the side lights since you only have at most 2 feet for the light to travel (actually 10 inches with one on each side). Seems to me you want the narrower angle on the axis that has the greatest distance for the light to travel which is probably the top in your case. Personally I would go with 60 degrees all around.

My cab is 4x2x6 and i have it split into two equal areas about 24" wide and 20" deep. I have room to put a 126 and 63 side x side on each side, but i think i am going to center the 126 above and use the 63 for side light. I'm gonna order another set of 126/63 to mirror the other side of the cab, and then order 2 more 63's (1 each per side) so i'll have a 126 above and 2 63's on each side.

Cammie recommended 3 126's for my total area, but i think I'm going with the surround all sides with 63's based on from what i've seen of the top only LED grows.

Whatcha think on putting 30 degree angle on the side lights? If i had one on each side and the 126 on top @ 60 degree in my small area i think it will be right for my set-up.

E1

I think your on the right path. I'm not sure about the 30's on the side in stead of 60's. I'd probably use the 63w tilted at a 45 degree angle rather than 90 like I've seen side lighting used (Sort of how Cammie has her end lights, so that it takes a reflector shape). But that's just an opinion with no experiments to back it up.

Slimm - I agree now that i think about it. I was thinking more intensity from the sides, but the shorter distance to center probably isn't far enough to matter. 60's all around it shall be.

Scoob - We'll have to play around with that some. I'm not sure i'll have enough room for the 45 angle set-up, but yes i did see Cammies that way. Once i get everything set-up i'll get some pics. Maybe now that we have multiple HGL's with different folks we can tag team on strategy and learning to use these things.

E1

interesting read
uhm on the leds if i may suggest

you are going to have them kinda like this /--\ one on top and the four on the sides facing down /--\
have you tried \ / some facing up?
leds are totally new to me so my suggestion might be off

interesting read
uhm on the leds if i may suggest

you are going to have them kinda like this /--\ one on top and the four on the sides facing down /--\
have you tried \ / some facing up?
leds are totally new to me so my suggestion might be off

There's no reason to put light on the underside of the leaves. If I recall correctly, it might even damage them.

I am really glad this test was done. I am sort of disappointed with the performance of the LEDs in this grow. They really didn't fatten up like I had hoped they would. You said you guys made some mistakes with the plants under the LED's. What would you change for the next grow with them, and what all went wrong that you know of?

I was really hoping to replace 2 1kw lights with 6 of the 126w lights. Cammie's next gen lights will be out in January. I will just make due with the LED's I have until the technology catches up to HID I think.

Also you mention rumpleforeskin doing a LED test w Prosource lights. Where can I find this test or is it not being published?

Great journal +rep

I am really glad this test was done. I am sort of disappointed with the performance of the LEDs in this grow. They really didn't fatten up like I had hoped they would. You said you guys made some mistakes with the plants under the LED's. What would you change for the next grow with them, and what all went wrong that you know of?

I was really hoping to replace 2 1kw lights with 6 of the 126w lights. Cammie's next gen lights will be out in January. I will just make due with the LED's I have until the technology catches up to HID I think.

Also you mention rumpleforeskin doing a LED test w Prosource lights. Where can I find this test or is it not being published?

Great journal +rep

This was a last minute set up for my buddy ledtester. We picked out a nice canopy of 15 plants to do the test and set everything up but when DHL lost the light for 3 days all we had was a 400MH over those plants and the tops stretched about 6" and we lost our nice canopy. To prevent more stretching we kept the lights real tight within 3 "when we got them for the first 4 weeks. I also asked Cammie if we had to do anything different from a HID setup and the only thing she suggested was removing MOST of the fan leaves once the buds started overlapping. We did that over the course of week 3-4 but only some of the fan leaves. Growth slowed right down after that instead of taking off. Growth was pretty even at that point. These lights are perfect for short ( 2 ft) SOG or SCROG. We're going to invert the look of the plants from christmas trees for the next time.
On a side note the resin production is amazing under the LED. The hanging, drying plants have amazing crystals even under the leaves. It's really noticable now that they are both under normal light.We'll see how the Meds are.
The two that we're chopped had their pistils really brown early from top to bottom.

This was a last minute set up for my buddy ledtester. We picked out a nice canopy of 15 plants to do the test and set everything up but when DHL lost the light for 3 days all we had was a 400MH over those plants and the tops stretched about 6" and we lost our nice canopy. To prevent more stretching we kept the lights real tight within 3 "when we got them for the first 4 weeks. I also asked Cammie if we had to do anything different from a HID setup and the only thing she suggested was removing MOST of the fan leaves once the buds started overlapping. We did that over the course of week 3-4 but only some of the fan leaves. Growth slowed right down after that instead of taking off. Growth was pretty even at that point. These lights are perfect for short ( 2 ft) SOG or SCROG. We're going to invert the look of the plants from christmas trees for the next time.
On a side note the resin production is amazing under the LED. The hanging, drying plants have amazing crystals even under the leaves. It's really noticable now that they are both under normal light.We'll see how the Meds are.
The two that we're chopped had their pistils really brown early from top to bottom.

i told her that removing fan leaves was a bad idea. you should never remove fan leaves unless their dieing. you sould use a paper clip to yuck them instead. the leaves are the ones you take in the light.
but i guess everyone has their own ways, but i for one will never remove my leaves ive found out the hard way.

Haven't decided. I have/had a sick lil mama that just wanted to live. Found her as a tiny sprout in the great outdoors. Moved in under a 250w heat lamps and she lived, but stretched way too much. Went to 12" like overnight and had 4 leaves lol. I had to leave for 5 days over thanksgiving and put her at the back door inside the window and thought for sure she'd die. But lil mama just wants to live.

I've had 126w and 63 for 5 days and started the LST on her to see if could fatten her up some. Of course as a total rookie i made every mistake...too much water, nutes, light, heat, PH roller coaster and she's had every reason to die...but lil mama just wants to live.

I changed my set-up and centered the 126 and moved the 63 to sidelight. I'm gonna start taking pics tomorrow. I am going to try and use the 63 and LST to get her to continue on around the pot rim. If she continues to grow like she has been, and i start to learn a little more thru experience, and i don't kill her first...IF she makes it on to encircle and make a nice canopy all the way 'round then i might decide to give it a go.

I can't even grow toe jam so i knew i would screw this one up royal...but lil mama just wants to live!!

Haven't decided. I have/had a sick lil mama that just wanted to live. Found her as a tiny sprout in the great outdoors. Moved in under a 250w heat lamps and she lived, but stretched way too much. Went to 12" like overnight and had 4 leaves lol. I had to leave for 5 days over thanksgiving and put her at the back door inside the window and thought for sure she'd die. But lil mama just wants to live.

I've had 126w and 63 for 5 days and started the LST on her to see if could fatten her up some. Of course as a total rookie i made every mistake...too much water, nutes, light, heat, PH roller coaster and she's had every reason to die...but lil mama just wants to live.

I changed my set-up and centered the 126 and moved the 63 to sidelight. I'm gonna start taking pics tomorrow. I am going to try and use the 63 and LST to get her to continue on around the pot rim. If she continues to grow like she has been, and i start to learn a little more thru experience, and i don't kill her first...IF she makes it on to encircle and make a nice canopy all the way 'round then i might decide to give it a go.

I can't even grow toe jam so i knew i would screw this one up royal...but lil mama just wants to live!!

Take care of that tough little girl. And start a thread so I can keep up with her...

I will Bolivar (great cigar btw...one of my favs). You guys are gonna have to help me take care of her....and take it easy on a rookie (indoor) when you see the burn holes in the leaves and my mistakes :)

When i tell the whole story AND if she turns out to be a producer then i think she may just be a crowd favorite.

I would say my yield on the LED side will may be 1/2 of what it could have been, if that, although I should still have a decent yield. I've got 4 more beans in dirt right now under a new 126w

You're starting with LED right from sprout? How far about the plant do you have the 126?

Back
Top Bottom