The Capn's Simple Hydroponics Cook Off - Goal: 1lb Indoors - Journal

I'm about a week from harvest with the A.O. cook off. I see lots of orange / brown hairs, and cloudy trics.

The pictures do not do this strain justice.

I can't even count the tops, but if I had to guess, I would say 150.

This pheno does not produce large colas, even under 600W HPS. The tops you see coming thru the top screen are not where the meat is. The bulk exists at the bottom screen, where the buds are bigger and close together.

It's going to be a chore trimming this baby, but I'm ok with that. ;-)

Sling and I will see you in a week with some harvest pics.

In preparation for this ship docking in one more week, TheCapn is preparing for a new voyage.

Don't worry. I'm not going to show you with another "crouton" grow. You've seen enough of that by now, and there's not much I can improve on anyway. I will continue using this method, but for my next victim, I'm stepping out of my box. NO, I won't be doing DWC either. I'm going to try something new, something I've never seen anyone do.

Put away your air pots, your croutons and your buckets. Climb aboard the Capn's new "not so simple aeroponics" venture.

Next week is harvest time? Exciting!

soil grows can be messed up too and is usually guys new to growing that have the main issues, therefore it might not matter what they grow in they might have probs. For experienced growers we normally have all bases covered.

It's not always newbs. In the next year, like you, I plan to do some experiments with flowering in soil, but I will unlikely ever leave hydro. For ME, it's easier and more reliable. If you could see my mothers, you would understand. :blalol: Let's just say, my first DIY soil mix does not seem to agree with them at all. None have died, but they are not happy. I'm nursing them back to health now, but I'll probably have to make some of my clones into new mothers. Needless to say, I'll be doing no flowing in soil until I can make the moms happy. :)

I just ordered a device that will txt me if my power goes out! It will also alert me if my air temp, water temp, or room humidity goes out of the range i set. All for under $100. I'll be making a blog post about this when I get it. :thumb:

That sounds cool. I'm still fairly early in my build out, so I'm not that high tech yet. I'd like to see more about this device though. My biggest fear right now is a power outage during lights on. If it last long enough for the lamps to cool, that's fine. It's those 2 minute power outages that concern me. I need to get one of those delay boxes I suppose.

Question--my piping back to the rez,is approx 2 feet and somehow roots have made the way from the buckets and are going down the lines is this ok?? it doesn't impede flow of water

I know Capn already responded. He is correct. The important thing is that flow is not impeded. If it was me, I would probably pull them out of the tubing. I wouldn't cut them off necessarily, but just pull them back into the bottom of the outer bucket. Then again, maybe with your very low flow rate/volume, it doesn't matter too much.

That sounds cool. I'm still fairly early in my build out, so I'm not that high tech yet. I'd like to see more about this device though. My biggest fear right now is a power outage during lights on. If it last long enough for the lamps to cool, that's fine. It's those 2 minute power outages that concern me. I need to get one of those delay boxes I suppose.

Stop what you're doing and grab one of these now! I am loving mine.

Here is my write up on it

>>I plan to do some experiments with flowering in soil

Soil? Only old people grow in soil. :rofl: Just kidding, old people!

I am going to have a pop at super soil on a small scale after christmas after seeing my friend jon705's results. I'll never leave hydro, as i too think its so simple and u always know what u will get run to run. However if supersoil works for me i will run it in a few places where my employees arent quite so green fingered and all they need to worry about is simple watering and nothing else!

I am going to have a pop at super soil on a small scale after christmas after seeing my friend jon705's results. I'll never leave hydro, as i too think its so simple and u always know what u will get run to run. However if supersoil works for me i will run it in a few places where my employees arent quite so green fingered and all they need to worry about is simple watering and nothing else!

^^^^^^
OLD GUY! ha ha ha

I'm surprised hearing this from a DWC guy! I've used it indoors and out. Set it and forget it, baby. It worked well and buds smoked and looked great. LIke you said, it's great for people who just want to water their plant.
I won't run it again though. Unless you do a large scale, it's too expensive to buy all the ingredients. Unless you can find sub's pre-made bags?

hahahaha im not too old yet although i feel old after getting punching in the face and choked out most days lol

i cant get pre-made that im aware of. and any grow that i do the work in will remain hydro, which ever form that is, i dont just run dwc its just my personal favourite. the beauty of hydro is its so flexible it can meet so many needs. how ever, no matter how simple i feel things are or what instructions i leave for people, there are always a couple people who just dont get it. i feel like strangling them most days but that would be bad for my chi haha. so if i could just give them a hose or watering can it would make my life that bit more simpler, although saying that, i just know they'd still find a way to screw up haha. i have to put up with them cos they my friends and are trust worthy, they just dumb as shit!

Almost didn't recognize you there CApn, nice new avatar, although I was feelin the license plate!

CAn't wait for the harvest pics and dry weight! Where's Sl1ng at?

Hell he's probably trimming already. That critical is heard to finish in 7 weeks, which is right now so I'm not sure.

OK sorry for the week long absence I have had a challenging week.
Six days ago (Monday the 4th) I was really bummed when I opened the room at ten pm.Saturday night before I left I had drained, cleaned and refilled the reservoir with fresh nutes and then I left for my night and a half off at home I had forgotten to put the timer back on auto. So Saturday the2nd and Sunday the 3rd the entry plant was not fed its 6 per night for a total of 12 feedings it missed out on. Im sure you can imagine what it looked like. Being under the 1000 watt HPS and Im sure it shouldve been higher but it was working so well but with the lack of watering and under such intense lighting she dehydrated. After 24 hours of frequent watering with a slightly lower amount of food she showed zero improvement so it came down Tuesday morning and I have been trimming it ever since.

I am so sorry I feel like I have let all of you including the cap'n down and in a big way. I haven't posted much or been in the mood for anything since my discovery but I feel that I owe it to all of you to know what happened. If by being honest and explaining what happened it could possibly help others from experiencing what I had to.
I brought just shy of 14 ounces home and there is more at the ranch. I am guessing another 3 ounces so I think but am not 100% yet that I netted over the one pound mark. I will get exact weights and a final pic this week.
Once again I am so sorry and wont be letting that happen again any time soon. I feel for the OCD patients who have to check the stove knobs 112 times before they can leave cause I have been doing just that, must have checked it at least ten times before I left. One upside is I have already gotten a compliment from one of my patients that they actually like it lol. It could be dank but I'd still be against it cause I will always wonder how much better it could of been. I had a similar experience with my turbo kloner and leaving it for two days unplugged. They dies but the upside is I always double check it and have not had the same problem since. I am hoping that this wont happen again either??
At just over six weeks to get a pound or more has got to say something about this growing style.
Thanks again for teaching me cap'n

Please everyone realize that this had nothing to do with its style or method, the problem I had was 100% human error and my fault totally.

Hey we all screw the pooch doing something as simple as that from time to time. I'm glad you ended up with some good smoke still. Hell it is probably just a nice "up" smoke, which lots of people like anyways.

Smart ass comment: Ready to go RDWC yet? Roots always in nutrient! Always cool! *wink*

Hey we all screw the pooch doing something as simple as that from time to time. I'm glad you ended up with some good smoke still. Hell it is probably just a nice "up" smoke, which lots of people like anyways.

Smart ass comment: Ready to go RDWC yet? Roots always in nutrient! Always cool! *wink*

Smarter ass comment: Sling forgot to plug his timer in and suffered yield on one plant. When I was doing RDWC, I had an air stone pop off the line in one bucket. In just a couple days, pythium infested my grow room. I salvaged very little from the grow. Even after sterilizing everything, everything after that got pythium. I literally went 5 months before producing anything after that. And that was after finally switching to cubes.

So sling... this critical is advertised as a 7 week strain, right? So you went about 6 weeks then? I know what you're saying about hot good it "could" have been, but like bass said, a lot of people like an energetic effect anyway. I hope we can see some bud pictures soon. You know for sure you got 14zips, so it sounds like you still are close to meeting the goal. I'm guessing you would have put on another 10-20% if it had gone 8 weeks? What do you think?

To our subscribers who are mimicking this method at home: In the last couple weeks of veg, you'll notice that watering once a day is not even enough. These large plants take up moisture exponentially with size. In the first few weeks of flower, they can use 2 gallons of water a day! As I've said before... it's difficult to over water in rockwool cubes.

Sling, don't feel bad at all. Your last pictures of the critical are QUITE impressive... POTM material. Congrats. Plus, we haven't seen any more dirt pictures from you, so I'm sure you have something else up your sleeve for us?

My cook off plant is almost done. I'll start flushing mid week and take it next weekend. See you soon!

I feel your pain Sl1ng, but as you're aware, this is a lesson you will be unlikely to forget again. :winkyface:

I've done it. I suspect any hydro grower that hasn't messed up something mechanical is on their first crop. :blalol:
Actually, I've had 2 harvest in my space, and both crops have had an "incident". Each time I learned another item to add to my mental checklist of things to double check before leaving.

14 oz for a 6 week plant is pretty damn good my friend! :Namaste:

Thanks all, means alot. I am most def have something up my sleeve but not sure if its anything anyone want to see haha
If its ok with you i will post a link here to my 2nd journal that Im itching to do so bad.
I want to do a side by side cube/top feed two hso pineapple skunks 1 in synthetic 3 part the other in a 1 part organic hydro safe nutrient.
Thanks again all and I will post some final pics asap, that and the final weights.
Sorry again

I am so sorry I feel like I have let all of you including the cap'n down and in a big way. I haven't posted much or been in the mood for anything since my discovery but I feel that I owe it to all of you to know what happened. If by being honest and explaining what happened it could possibly help others from experiencing what I had to.
I brought just shy of 14 ounces home and there is more at the ranch. I am guessing another 3 ounces so I think but am not 100% yet that I netted over the one pound mark. I will get exact weights and a final pic this week.
Once again I am so sorry and wont be letting that happen again any time soon. I feel for the OCD patients who have to check the stove knobs 112 times before they can leave cause I have been doing just that, must have checked it at least ten times before I left. One upside is I have already gotten a compliment from one of my patients that they actually like it lol. It could be dank but I'd still be against it cause I will always wonder how much better it could of been. I had a similar experience with my turbo kloner and leaving it for two days unplugged. They dies but the upside is I always double check it and have not had the same problem since. I am hoping that this wont happen again either??
At just over six weeks to get a pound or more has got to say something about this growing style.
Thanks again for teaching me cap'n

Please everyone realize that this had nothing to do with its style or method, the problem I had was 100% human error and my fault totally.

14 oz,-7-10 days early??:bravo: absolutely nothing to hang your head about,hell most of us would love to get that from 3 plants,, I'm not as experienced as you guys,but I painted my timers and switches florescent colors and always look at my checkoff list everytime I leave the room,, you're right OCD does suck.

I started a flush yesterday. I drained the reservoir, and refilled with plain, RO water, and let the system circulate for 15 minutes. This brought the PPM down to 250, considering nutrients are still in the medium. I turned off my recirculating timer. Today, tomorrow, and Friday, I'll pour a few gallons of plain RO water thru the medium, each day. Saturday and Sunday, I'll be..., "choppin broccoli, choppin broccoli".

I'll check in this weekend with some fresh pictures.

Week83.jpg
Week82.jpg

Lookin great teach! I can't believe the medium retained that much salt that it jack your 0PPM RO up to 250. That's crazy, but also depicts the behaviors of dissolved solids. On the bottom of this solo cup I am using as a pot, there is a crusty residue built up outside the bottom drain holes, so I can see it here too. Wish I could help ya chop down your harvest! I bet I'd get baked just from handling some buds for a while (but you probably harvest with latex gloves on). Question, do you wash your buds? There's a thread of quite a few growers that are reporting absolutely amazing results from superior quality of flavor, to a more thorough and even drying/curing period to the content that is removed during the wash. It's a great thread and deserves attention if you have some time to kill. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom