The New Autoflower Topping Thread

Hey guys. Here's some photos of some N.L autos il be topping very soon.
Pic 1 - Hempy bucket grow 4gal.
Pic 2 - 4 gal pot
Pic 3 - side by side (both germinated the same day)
Pic 4 - an up pot auto experiment on the left and on the right a runt I gave up on then found after she took about 3 weeks to break soil will be up potted and only topped if she looks strong enough to take it. All grown in 70/30 coco pearlite mix.
420-magazine-mobile820566757.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1914681153.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1122820495.jpg
420-magazine-mobile760520404.jpg
Awesome news ramstimple, always nice to see folks doing great things with autos. Northern lights is definitely one of my favourites to grow so far. You'll be happy with the result I'm sure. Good luck, and thanks for sharing with us. Hope to see those babies topped soon. :thumb:

Awesome, Snid. Good job getting this started. This definitely fills a big void...thank you very much!
My thoughts exactly, a huge void! I'm not sure if I can keep up with all the posts. We're already on page 2 of 40 posts per page. It's certainly taking off like a rocket.. Hope to be able to fill those shoes, thanks for stopping in schtiggy. :Namaste:

In for the ride
-saint
Welcome, please find your seat. The class is already underway and it's time for show and tell. Glad to have you on board, let the autos be topped and the buds be Stinky. :thanks:

I'm currently running 20/4 but experienced light burn because they were too close to the light. Now the . plants have reached a perfect height I wonder if I should turn down to 18/6 to compensate for the crispy factor on my leaves . . I feel like I'm nursing them properly but was unsure if the 20/4 partially caused the burn. Thanks for the help! ;)
BTW, my plants are my first autos and I used Snid's topping tutorial for the first time. It was the only thing I did right considering I accidentally burnt them while I was sick. But it's all part of the journey. Thanks!
If it makes you more confident I run 19/5 for my autos (just to be different) so everyone has given a good answer for you. You can't blame yourself for the burn issues, that's God's work. It's now mommy's time to nurse them back to health. I'm sure they're in good hands. I'm so glad My tutorials are being used by folks to try their hand at Lst'ing and topping. Gleen away my dear, so much to learn. Even I am still learning new things about this plant and how to grow it. :circle-of-love:G2heal :thanks:

Im sure they will grow out of it. :)
Keep em frosty ya'll
You can count on it! :thumb:

KiG Everyone :green_heart:cheers

I am along for the ride I have an auto she is almost done I topped her. At 4th node. Started flowering a day or 2 later. I didn't know this was a seed in the bottom of a bag grow.
420-magazine-mobile1140411263.jpg

The one on the right obviously not topped. She had major problems. It was originally planted in 100% miracle grow so it had watering and drainage issues almost killed her. So I did something crazy uprooted her washed the roots and put it in a coco Leca perlite mix. She didn't do anything for 2 weeks then boom growing like a weed lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Cherry Bomb made it thru surgery today. Topped to 4th set of true leaves.

420-magazine-mobile663438314.jpg

420-magazine-mobile978039081.jpg
That's a picture perfect example Askhole, thanks so much for sharing that here.
For those who are new to topping, that's exactly what you want to see. The whole clump of stems under the growth tips should look exactly like that. Otherwise your FIM'ing...
:thanks:
420-magazine-mobile450018203.jpg
closer pic
Another successful topped auto! Great work smokegarden. Even though you had issues she still looks amazing. Thanks for sharing your example with us.

KiG Everyone :green_heart:Cheers

:bong: :popcorn: :bong:

Count me in :thumb:. So thankful for this thread :bravo:. About the time I started my auto's the original thread closed and I was like " what now"

I'm growing two auto's now. Pineapple kush and Caramelicious. I topped Pineapple but not Caramel, the breeder card on caramel said that it should finish round 12 - 15" so I did not top her...As for pineapple

Topped at 4th node @14 days
20161226_235152.jpg

At 21 days

20170103_001326.jpg

It amazed me how much this plant grew in 7 days!!!

I was doing some lst and ripped a node from the main stem....neewbie patch job

20170104_224414.jpg

Funny thing, I must not have topped correctly, as it grew back...I'm ok with that as I now have about 6 tops I would't have.

at 28 days

20170109_085138.jpg

20170109_0851471.jpg

As for caramel 14 days

20161226_235141.jpg

21 days with some lst....pulled down the first 4 nodes to create an even lower canopy.
20170105_221630.jpg

28 days stick is 10" tall for referance

20170108_002110.jpg

Thats it for now...Its so good to see this thread :thumb:

My first question for this thread.....

Photo's and auto's both go through stretch

When does it start for auto's and how long does it last? I ask because i'm 4 weeks in to the auto's and only have 15" of space left up top, hoping that they finish up shorter or I'm going to have to get creative.

Thanks

I did 2 grows of the same strain and one kept stretching for weeks and got to almost 4ft tall. The other finished up around 2 1/2ft. So genetics will decide.
If it starts getting too tall for your space you can keep pulling them down and training them to the sides. Low stress training through flowering won't hurt them at all. Just my 2 cents. Looking good, bc.

My first grow but what I see the stretch is kind of wierd for an auto she started flowering less than a week after I topped her. Was topped as soon as I had space after 4th node.she was in full flower right around day 30. she stopped stretching about 20 days later. I would say stretch was about 12 maybe 14 inches.

My first grow but what I see the stretch is kind of wierd for an auto she started flowering less than a week after I topped her. Was topped as soon as I had space after 4th node.she was in full flower right around day 30. she stopped stretching about 20 days later. I would say stretch was about 12 maybe 14 inches.

My ones stretched so oddly only two got really tall oh and the transplant one that one is still stretching the blue treacle genetics are a bit ropey but they have come
Out good none the less

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I did 2 grows of the same strain and one kept stretching for weeks and got to almost 4ft tall. The other finished up around 2 1/2ft. So genetics will decide.
If it starts getting too tall for your space you can keep pulling them down and training them to the sides. Low stress training through flowering won't hurt them at all. Just my 2 cents. Looking good, bc.

Thanks :) I will make them fit, I don't have a problem at all tying her down :laughtwo:

:bong: :popcorn: :bong:

Count me in :thumb:. So thankful for this thread :bravo:. About the time I started my auto's the original thread closed and I was like " what now"

I'm growing two auto's now. Pineapple kush and Caramelicious. I topped Pineapple but not Caramel, the breeder card on caramel said that it should finish round 12 - 15" so I did not top her...As for pineapple

Topped at 4th node @14 days
20161226_235152.jpg

At 21 days
20170103_001326.jpg

It amazed me how much this plant grew in 7 days!!!

I was doing some lst and ripped a node from the main stem....neewbie patch job
20170104_224414.jpg

Funny thing, I must not have topped correctly, as it grew back...I'm ok with that as I now have about 6 tops I would't have.
at 28 days
20170109_085138.jpg

20170109_0851471.jpg

As for caramel 14 days
20161226_235141.jpg

21 days with some lst....pulled down the first 4 nodes to create an even lower canopy.
20170105_221630.jpg

28 days stick is 10" tall for referance
20170108_002110.jpg

Thats it for now...Its so good to see this thread :thumb:
Great pics bckush, it's good to see your comparison in action. I'm sure lots of folks have wondered what now just like you... That's why I felt the need to revive/renew the auto topping thread. It has been a valuable resource for me and I'm guessing thousands of other new growers. I owe my potm title to the Beast and I gave him the credit in my acceptance post. He deserves it... Glad you've come to share your experiences and thoughts on the matter. The more the merrier, keep the info flowing :Namaste:
Ps... Awesome topping, looks great.
My first question for this thread.....

Photo's and auto's both go through stretch

When does it start for auto's and how long does it last? I ask because i'm 4 weeks in to the auto's and only have 15" of space left up top, hoping that they finish up shorter or I'm going to have to get creative.

Thanks
Once you see preflowers on autos that usually indicates that the Stretch is about to commence. One way to minimize the overall stretch is adequate lighting (luxes) and not switching to 12/12. I've found that most autos stretch for about 2 weeks once it has been initiated. Also if you start bloom nutes a little early the Stretch will be reduced aswell. Stretch is good, but you want the nodes to be tight enough to have the buds stack up and form one huge cola instead of many smaller nuggets of bud. Controlling the Stretch is something that will come with practice, it's knowing when to let them stop growing horizontal and letting them rise to the vertical creating your Colas. Hope that helps a bit, glad you came to be a part of this auto topping community.

This sounds about right, if you've got a 4" flat canopy on your vegging auto you can expect to triple that during the Stretch. I've come to know how they will stretch and I'm able to let them rise to create Colas worth their weight in buds. It all comes with practical experience, best way to learn is hands on. Thanks for the input smokegarden, please keep the great tips coming.

KiG Everyone :green_heart:cheers

When you say LST is no problem are talking tie it down or twisting stem to make stem pliable and shape. I've seen people call both lst

So Snid, i noticed pistils on my CB and DB today.. In order to have them stack like you explained could you give me some pointers? I have pictures of them in my journal (its in my sig). They weren't there yesterday when i topped CB but upon inspection today sure as shit they're there! Im still waiting for the new growth to open up to get in there and snip DB at the 4th true set. I can post pics if need be, lights literally just cut off.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

When you say LST is no problem are talking tie it down or twisting stem to make stem pliable and shape. I've seen people call both lst
If your bending/breaking the stem to allow for easier manipulation that is called super cropping. This can be done at any stage in the plants life. It's a stop gap measure during flower if you run out of space due to stretch. Lst involves only mild manipulation of the branches to, ie : to give them a guiding hand to allow for you to create a work of art. At least that's how I like to think of it. Makes sense?

So Snid, i noticed pistils on my CB and DB today.. In order to have them stack like you explained could you give me some pointers? I have pictures of them in my journal (its in my sig). They weren't there yesterday when i topped CB but upon inspection today sure as shit they're there! Im still waiting for the new growth to open up to get in there and snip DB at the 4th true set. I can post pics if need be, lights literally just cut off.
Basically you'll be training horizontal until pistils are prevalent. Once the actual stretch has started I give them one last staking and leave the stakes in until the strech is over. Hopefully you'll see what I'm talking about, but my journals are ripe with examples for your viewing pleasure. As for node stacking, you can use several techniques. There is tip spreading, which is where you are physically opening up the newest growth tips to allow light to reach the inner working of those tips. And therefore signalling the plant to create the next node and so on... Also keeping the lights on at least 18h and having the light in the optimal range for your plants to get the most amount of luxes and par values. Like I mentioned before, early onset of bloom nutes will also give you less overall stretch but may not necessarily keep thing tighter.
If you're seeing pistils I wouldn't recommend topping her, it's too late. You'll be stunting her growth at the most important time. I'd go with low stress training in your case. Hope that gets you going on the right path. If you've got some more questions I'll try and help out. It's hard to explain what I do on instinctual basis, but I'll keep trying :Namaste:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Back
Top Bottom