TheRoach's First - Soil - Aurora Indica - Organic Grow - 600W

My conclusions are:

Anredera Cordifolia greatly outperformed Aloe Vera in the foaming test. Not only did the foam rise faster and persisted longer, I couldn't keep the air pump for more that three minutes as it was beginning to spill on the floor.
I'm totally convinced Anredera has a very high saponin content, the findings in the journal shared above are right.
Anredera or Madeira has much more saponins than Aloe does.
%43 saponins sounds right to me.

Thank you very much for watching :420:

We deal in science here.

Thanks for doing that test roach. I can't wait to do a side by side with yucca. I'm tempted to do a yucca test right now, just to compare to those two, but I will probably wait so I can test all three in the same conditions.

Here is some interesting reading. I found several foam test studies of different saponin producing plants on the internet. Here is one of them and a chart from the same one:
Foam Properties and Detergent Abilities of the Saponins from Camellia oleifera
PubMed Central, Table 1.: Int J Mol Sci. 2010; 11(11): 4417?4425. Published online 2010 Nov 4. doi:- 10.3390/ijms11114417

They are (EDIT:I mean aren't) really helpful in direct comparison to your test, but I thought the information was interesting. Very detailed.
The test was performed on Camellia oleifera seeds. They are supposed to be around 8% saponin content

Did you test how the plants reacted?

Not yet. I only have empirical evidence of the Anredera being beneficial for the plants, but I'm designing an experiment using maybe millet and setting up a few groups being applied the tea along with a control group with water only.

Thanks for doing that test roach. I can't wait to do a side by side with yucca. I'm tempted to do a yucca test right now, just to compare to those two, but I will probably wait so I can test all three in the same conditions.

Here is some interesting reading. I found several foam test studies of different saponin producing plants on the internet. Here is one of them and a chart from the same one:
Foam Properties and Detergent Abilities of the Saponins from Camellia oleifera
PubMed Central, Table 1.: Int J Mol Sci. 2010; 11(11): 4417?4425. Published online 2010 Nov 4. doi:- 10.3390/ijms11114417

They are (EDIT:I mean aren't) really helpful in direct comparison to your test, but I thought the information was interesting. Very detailed.
The test was performed on Camellia oleifera seeds. They are supposed to be around 8% saponin content

That is a great find. I will read it thoroughly. Thank you for sharing it, this has been a very interesting matter to explore.
Regards!

I admire the scientific method you employ. The attention to detail and documentation are impressive Roach. Definitely reps +. Proved your point and more.

Smokey, it'd be nice to see pictures of the soap nuts foaming. Do you have any, and could you be persuaded to share photos of the foaming action? I seriously doubt we'll find anything as profoundly effective as Roach's findings.

I will say though, that the other benefits one gains from aloe vera in the garden may outweigh the lower level of saponins.

Thank you, my main goal with the test was to corroborate the high saponin content in Anredera, I still think Aloe is a great addition to the feeding regime. I will not stop using Aloe, but rather complement the known and proven benefits of Aloe with this great surfactant.
Further research will let me know if Anredera has beneficial effects beyond its surfactant capabilities.
My impression is that it has growth regulators and plant hormones, along with biologic stimulators and some nutrition of value for the plants.

Thank you very much for watching 420 magazine!

:420:

Drawn to your beautiful brain like a moth to a flame. :battingeyelashes:

I do that a lot Roach. :battingeyelashes: Sixty one and apparently uninhibited. I tend to speak my mind and somehow, in some bizarre twist of fate, I find myself in the company of so many brilliant men. Sometimes it bubbles over. You tend to generate that response quite frequently. Mrs. Roach is a lucky woman. I'd bet my life what went through your mind as you read those words was "I'm the lucky one". Was I right? :laughtwo:

Brilliant men attached to entrancing women. Commitment and passion. It's a good neighborhood. :blushsmile: :love:

Apparently mind reading is one of your gifts haha I am glad to have you on board Sue, and also to have the honor to share this community with all the fine men and women that share their minds with us.
I do feel very lucky to have such a fine lady as my wife.

Wow I missed alot these last few weeks sorry Roach! Awesome job sourcing that basalt dust. :cheer: Also following your Madeira vine experiments and informational shares was great, sounds like a very cool plant to have around for an organic gardener. Crickets for food and for their poo as plant food, hahaha maybe not my personal culinary go-to but I'd be willing to try out a cricket :) ....with your bunnies' and all your other little amendments/additives I have to agree with CC, your sustainability makes me jealous. Great job Roach +reps, you rock. :love:

Thank you so much, that means a lot coming from you.
I hope I will start with the crickets project this month and the rabbits should be ready in the next two months or so.
I appreciate you took the time to read trough all my journal SoilGirl, thank you for your support and kind words.

Yes- thumbs up for The Roach and your great journal. :thumb:
How did I miss the part about bunnies ?
Which reminds me- Can somebody tell me how to search a journal or a thread in general- like for keywords. Ie- bunnies? I thought it was on your journal Sue that it was explained but I lost it/couldn't make it work for me. Don't know how to search for those instructions. Have a crappy connection so it's hard to search back page by page.
I ❤️ my bunnies.

I missed the bunnies too Weaselcracker. How did I miss the bunnies? :laughtwo:

At the top of each page, under the big heart that shows how many likes the thread has generated there's a menu line. In that line choose "search thread" and type "bunnies". Let's see what we come up with.

We're lost Weaselcracker! LOL!!! All that came up was references to this page.

Roach, where are these bunnies SoilGirl referred to? How did we miss that?

That was confusing! Your post wasn't here when I did the search-I guess you posted just after- and my search turned up- a message to me saying that we are lost!
Bunnies! We want our bunnies!
Damn I think he's gone to bed.
Thanks for telling me where that search window is (under search thread Duh) this is a big leap forward.

He'll find it in the morning. :laughtwo:

lol I might just have had a stoner moment. :confused: He mentioned he was looking into getting bunnies for their poo a while ago I'm not sure that he did get them. If he did though... I :love: bunnies too.

:laughtwo: :passitleft: Or did he actually get them and I just forgot? Geesh I'm only 22. Imagine my memory when I'm 60. Holy crap lol. Gotta go to bed. Night guys. :)

Thank you Baby, for clearing that up. I remember reading that. :laughtwo:

Good morning señoritas and my friend WeaselCraker.
I mentioned I was going to start raising rabbits but haven't started yet. I would definitely let you guys know when I start.
So SoilGirl you are 22? You at very young, I figured that by looking at your hands but couldn't know exactly your age.
I'm 29 and my wife 28.
I hope she doesn't pull my ears for talking to a younger woman!

Back
Top Bottom