TheRoach's First - Soil - Aurora Indica - Organic Grow - 600W

I admire the scientific method you employ. The attention to detail and documentation are impressive Roach. Definitely reps +. Proved your point and more.

Smokey, it'd be nice to see pictures of the soap nuts foaming. Do you have any, and could you be persuaded to share photos of the foaming action? I seriously doubt we'll find anything as profoundly effective as Roach's findings.

I will say though, that the other benefits one gains from aloe vera in the garden may outweigh the lower level of saponins.

I'm sure I can work something out! I can get you some pictures of just the soap nuts right now if you like, just need Roach's permission to post anything in his journal. Like you said though, that was some foaming action going on there, Roach! :)

As far as the foaming test, would I mimic Roach? What was it 100grams to 2500ml water? Can I half it or adjust the ratio's. I've always been a less is more kinda guy. Just let me know... :)

You are welcomed to post you pictures in my journal! And you can use whatever method you deem fit for the test!
Thank you for watching Smokey!

Thanks Roach! I'll go brew another cup of coffee and get ya's a pic of the soap nuts as a whole. At some point today I will try to do the test as well so that I may update you tomorrow. Be back shortly... :)

Each soap nut weighs a little over 2 grams (2.15) on average. One thing to also keep in mind is that these can be concentrated as well. I don't believe I have any bubbling stones so I would either have to use the straight air tube or I do have a home made 5 gallon vortex brewer as well.

This also reminds me, when I used my first waste water from the mint distillation, as soon as I dumped it into my brewer, it immediately foamed over requiring a little oil to cease it. Just let me know if I should do anything in specific. I'll check back here and again while off. Oh, also I have some clones in rooters using only the soap nut, like 7 days right now maybe, last check was no roots.

Some buds with to make sure it's on topic, plus who don't like looking at buds. :)

IMG_93272.jpg

Wow that picture is awesome!!!
You are such a great photographer, I'm jealous man! Please be welcome to post any pictures in my journal if you feel like it, definitely adding quality to my thread.
I will have to look that nut up, that is really interesting. There is a tree here called "Jaboncillo" (little soap in English haha) that has large flat seeds, people in the past used them to wash their cloths and hands. You take a seed (nut?) and use it as you would use a piece of soap, rubbing it in your hands until it becomes soapy.
Anyway, that was a very nice contribution to the thread my friend!
Reps+

I've actually used a soap nut to wash my clothes before. (I use a washboard and bucket to wash my clothes). A friend of mine stopped by my house after a trip somewhere and left me with one to try out. Worked great. I forgot about them. Interested to see how the clones turn out.

Each soap nut weighs a little over 2 grams (2.15) on average. One thing to also keep in mind is that these can be concentrated as well. I don't believe I have any bubbling stones so I would either have to use the straight air tube or I do have a home made 5 gallon vortex brewer as well.

This also reminds me, when I used my first waste water from the mint distillation, as soon as I dumped it into my brewer, it immediately foamed over requiring a little oil to cease it. Just let me know if I should do anything in specific. I'll check back here and again while off. Oh, also I have some clones in rooters using only the soap nut, like 7 days right now maybe, last check was no roots.

Some buds with to make sure it's on topic, plus who don't like looking at buds. :)

IMG_93272.jpg

Not only a picture but one done with your delightful artistic eye for fine detail. Thank you Smokey.

Thanks Roach, it's much appreciated!

It's funny you guys mention washing because these soap nuts have a vinegar type smell to them, I was wondering how that would turn out. Well it turns out you don't smell it at all once wet I guess. Anyhow I forgot I wasn't going to be on this weekend but I did do some tests. So I figured I would share what I have so far. I feel a little weird cause I have like 14 photos but hey. It will take a few for me to upload but I'll get back in here shortly. :)

Ok so I should have dug further in the bag because my statement of them averaging 2+ grams is not accurate. They vary greatly, oops! :)

So for the test I ground down 10+ grams worth of de-seeded whole fruit in case needed. Also for a reference to a concentrate (claims 18x) I have included it in the pic with a few whole nuts and the ground powder.

IMG_93422.jpg

I then placed about 1500ml of water into the test bucket (2.5gl). Turned on my pump (Eco Air 3). First two shots are back to back directly after tossing only 1 TBL of the powder. Notice in the second pic, you can still see it has not fully dissolved yet. (Sorry, to me it feels like a lot of pics and these ones aren't very glamorous :) )

IMG_9348-instant.jpg

IMG_9349-instant2.jpg

1 minute in.

IMG_9350-1min.jpg

2 minutes in.

IMG_9351-2min.jpg

5 minutes in.

IMG_9354-5min.jpg

Immediately after turning off.

IMG_9356-off.jpg

5 minutes after turning off.

IMG_9359-5off.jpg

Part two up next!

Somehow I goofed and missed a 30 second pic in the first one. :)

I then dumped the same contents into my 5 gallon vortex brewer with approximately 4-4.5 gallons of water. Directly after dumping in but I haven't turned it on.

IMG_9362-startoff.jpg

Seconds after turning it on.

IMG_9364-on.jpg

1 minute in and at that point it was hitting the floor so the waste not in me had to add a tsp each of neem and karanja oil. :) This last pic is seconds after the oil.

IMG_9368-1min.jpg

IMG_9370-addoil.jpg

The last two plant pictures are of my Tangilope several minutes after getting fed a gallon's worth. I also fed a few vegging gals but with nap time approaching, they are resting. Just a very slight claw/wilt going on. I do think my castings might be a little heavy on the N though if that's possible, poor guys get a lot of coffee. :) I'll take another pic at the 24 hour-ish mark or different of the same. As said though I won't be on this weekend so I will set aside and share if you like. I'm horrible at noticing differences sometimes. Sorry, my zoom lens does a better job at filtering out the HPS light but with this girl I need to stand back a ways to frame her in, so I used my standard lens. I should of pulled her out though, I have her on one of those go fast saucer sleds. :)

IMG_93803.jpg

IMG_93841.jpg

Well that was the kicker for me. I'll get on board with 48% in Anredera. Cheers roach.
Thanks for performing that test Smokes

That soap nut lives up to the name!
I am now looking for that three in my area, it seems the variety we have around here is from the same family of the soap nut.
There are so many things to learn!
Hey Iwltfum, just let me know and I will send you some.
Thank you for sharing your test Smokey, I am very impressed. It looks like soap foam, same as Anredera did!

Who's that Roach? She resembles an auto clone I have going.

They are six different Aurora Indica clones B A R. 5 from a phenotype and 1 from another.
Edit: They also seem to have nitrogen toxicity, I wonder if the worm castings I'm using are too high on N. They are made with coffee and sugar cane byproducts.

So after 8 days drying the free mystery plant is ready to go into the jar. I don't think I will give it a long cure as I have decided to use half of the weed for butter and the other half for oil (maybe smoke some) Final yield of the weird looking sativa dominant mystery freebie plant: 66 grams of wispy cannabis. It has a sweet smell to it and the dreaded hay smell is almost over.

It has the look of plants the HB guys covet for potency and cerebral high. Definitely smoke some. I'd be interested in your smoke report.

It has the look of plants the HB guys covet for potency and cerebral high. Definitely smoke some. I'd be interested in your smoke report.

I will let it cure in the jar for at least a week and then make a smoke report.
Today I trimmed the tip of two of the main buds following the directions I found in the back building guide by Lightaddict. We will see how that turns. The buds are fattening up a bit now, and getting frostier by the day. They look a shade of green too dark for my taste, and the clawing in the fan leaves tells me I should use water only for a time to avoid N toxicity.
I will take my time and dry and cure these buds slowly, as to bring the best out of them. I will make sure this is some fine bud to smoke, and then go from there. Not really concerned about the harvest weight by this point. My goal is to achieve a much better quality first and then work on improving the yield.
Not sure if this first batch of Aurora Indica clones will be of premium quality. The soil is the basic mix of 1/3 rice hulls, 1/3 worm casting and 1/3 peat moss with some agricultural lime. I have used only water, SST, Aloe and Anredera botanical tea. I have the impression the Anredera tea is high in nitrogen, because after application the plants look greener (a darker shade that is) and they also developed elongated tips in the fan leaves, a symptom of N toxicity.
When this batch of AI clones is finished I will switch to the CC style soil mix and start the perpetual grow. I am considering getting some bubblelicious and northern lights seeds. Northern lights is a personal favorite and I want to secure a nice pheno for a mother plant. I guess I will keep a mother plant from each strain and use the clones in the perpetual grow, that way I will get some more variety.
I may try doing some other strains in the near future, including either Dark devil or Red poison.

I expect much better quality using the CC style mix, but also will try to be cautious when adding teas or drenches, as I have the impression the soil may be too hot for this strain.
Regards.

:420:

I will let it cure in the jar for at least a week and then make a smoke report.
Today I trimmed the tip of two of the main buds following the directions I found in the back building guide by Lightaddict. We will see how that turns. The buds are fattening up a bit now, and getting frostier by the day. They look a shade of green too dark for my taste, and the clawing in the fan leaves tells me I should use water only for a time to avoid N toxicity.
I will take my time and dry and cure these buds slowly, as to bring the best out of them. I will make sure this is some fine bud to smoke, and then go from there. Not really concerned about the harvest weight by this point. My goal is to achieve a much better quality first and then work on improving the yield.
Not sure if this first batch of Aurora Indica clones will be of premium quality. The soil is the basic mix of 1/3 rice hulls, 1/3 worm casting and 1/3 peat moss with some agricultural lime. I have used only water, SST, Aloe and Anredera botanical tea. I have the impression the Anredera tea is high in nitrogen, because after application the plants look greener (a darker shade that is) and they also developed elongated tips in the fan leaves, a symptom of N toxicity.
When this batch of AI clones is finished I will switch to the CC style soil mix and start the perpetual grow. I am considering getting some bubblelicious and northern lights seeds. Northern lights is a personal favorite and I want to secure a nice pheno for a mother plant. I guess I will keep a mother plant from each strain and use the clones in the perpetual grow, that way I will get some more variety.
I may try doing some other strains in the near future, including either Dark devil or Red poison.

I expect much better quality using the CC style mix, but also will try to be cautious when adding teas or drenches, as I have the impression the soil may be too hot for this strain.
Regards.

:420:

I don't consider the CC mix to be a "hot" mix in any regards Roach. You can mix it and plant right into it. I know of one grower on another site who has used this mix since its inception and that's the way he always plants in it. It's such a complete soil, particularly for cannabis growing. You'll be pleased with how your plants perform, I'm certain of it. Have you ever perused my first journal? All I did was water and surround with light. No environmental control at all. Pulled 4.5 oz off those two beauties. It was the soil. No question at all.

In its third run that soil is still consistently pumping out top-quality cannabis with almost no effort on my part. Three grams dry out of that pot can last me a week, and that's smoking at my normal rate. It's certainly not about quantity.

Vermicompost could be a complete game changer for you. Those worms are little alchemists. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom