Thirvnrob's Power Plant - TLO Soil In SIP Containers

Here's a question about the transition time for this particular grow:

I made what I consider a gaffe by top dressing with a high N veg mix from the rev's book & then flipping the lights 7 days later. Another grower assured me (patted me on the back & said don't sweat it) they'd be fine.
At the same time, I feel pretty confident that the roots were still adapting to the sip environment.
@Emilya Green given the breeders claim of 56 days of flower & the aforementioned gardener errors, do you still believe these are14 - 16 week bloomers? They're 65/35 Sativa dominant...
I don't believe your error to have been that grave to have affected anything. I would believe the breeder's claim before anything else, especially some smarty pants girl from Missouri.

So, we’re at the halfway point - day 28 of flower. I noticed yesterday that leaves are starting to yellow on one of them, mostly near the top & one is beginning to drop her lower fan leaves. She’s the standout of the three & she’s producing some nice, dense flowers. The other two are producing as well, but this one is the star of the show. I’m wondering what I should do about the yellowing leaves.
All three of the reservoirs have roots in them & are interfering with the floats. They still function, but not freely. They’ve taken the exact same amount of water at each watering, so I know how much to give them, but they’re draining their res’s more quickly.
Mother Nature has been giving me a break for the last few days but it got into the low 40s a couple nights ago & for whatever reason, my heater turned itself off - the same night I left a light on in the adjacent room. I hope these girls have a sense of humor - most of the time I’m able to stay in or near the VPD sweet spot so hopefully they’ll forgive me…
Lastly, I’ve managed to trust the TLO method & given only water & other than the aforementioned yellowing leaves on one of the girls, I’m happy as a puppy with two peters…
D89E3EC1-CB11-4583-9563-7D0D9C5FCA57.jpeg
48738199-D6C9-4128-B32C-ACD5DF8A7269.jpeg
CC57902F-0525-4491-9529-853674C1603A.jpeg

The Sour Diesel are now 20 days above ground. The runt is catching up & finally showing some roots. I found a sample packet of Myco today & top dressed them with 1/8 tsp each. They’ll end up in SIPs - does anyone know whether I can go from the solo cups into a 5 gallon SIP? You can see the difference in their roots…
E757BD3B-173F-492B-9984-981276ADF393.jpeg
9E8192F8-4123-40C0-8E92-AAE71F6C22DF.jpeg
464F9004-D887-4C51-924F-356811CE759A.jpeg

They’ll end up in SIPs - does anyone know whether I can go from the solo cups into a 5 gallon SIP? You can see the difference in their roots…
Yes, you certainly can. Might want to top water for a week or so to give the roots time to find the reservoir, although they don't necessarily have to get all the way down there since the soil will be moist from the wicking.

Nice roots! You have drainage holes/slices in those cups?

Yes, you certainly can. Might want to top water for a week or so to give the roots time to find the reservoir, although they don't necessarily have to get all the way down there since the soil will be moist from the wicking.

Nice roots! You have drainage holes/slices in those cups?
I drill 5 holes in the bottom of the clear cups…

To expound on what I said earlier about watering & up potting what you said about mother nature never up potting makes sense, but at the same time, we have the ability to optimize their growth by optimizing their environment. We're in charge of their ecosystem. I'd be willing to bet you could fill that pot & tent to the same extent with one plant. All of the steps I take are based on what I learn from growers who do it that way & produce massive yields. And I'm not discounting your method at all. I'm retired & I need something to occupy my time, so I'm gonna keep up potting to maintain my sanity. I am going into town to the local feed & seed to score some clover. I've wanted to try it for a good while now.
Your toes are almost as ugly as mine...
I use white clover in all my pots as it makes a great cover crop and it is a nitrogen releasing plant

Unless those clear solos are setup as SIPs, if they are set on a flat surface the drainage holes won't work all that well. Depends I guess on how close a fit the clear solo is for the red one.
I’d like to learn how to setup a SIP in solo cups though…

I’d like to learn how to setup a SIP in solo cups though…

Here's how I do it...
Solo Cups
This version is a bit of a compromise since creating the void is hard to do with such a small container so it's built a bit differently than the others.

For this size I make a small hole with a soldering iron or drill bit about 1 inch/25mm up the side from the bottom of the cup.

Then I put either small hydroton clay balls or perlite/pumice in the bottom up to a level about 1.75"/45mm and then top with soil. Since the hydroton/perlite layer is higher than the overflow hole, there is a bit of an air gap satisfying the design requirement. There is not as much air as in the other design options, but as I said, this one is a bit of a compromise.

Given the lack of real estate to work with I don't even bother with a fill tube, but rather water by sitting the solo cup in a slightly larger tub of water to fill the reservoir from below through the overflow hole. I usually put a second hole slightly above the overflow hole which seems to assist with filling the reservoir more quickly by allowing a vent for the air being displaced by the increasing water level.

That's it. If you use clear cups you'll be able to see the roots develop but be sure to slide it into an opaque cover cup since the roots won't develop as well if exposed to light.

The Solo version helps establish the roots early on that they'll use in the larger containers, making the transition quicker when you up-pot.
That’s exactly what I want to accomplish, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom