To exhaust your flower room or not?

Autolabor1

Hi guys and gals,
So I have a question. Do I have to Exhaust my grow room 11 x10 if it's an internal room of the house.
20190106_053303.jpg
this is my daytime running tempature in the room at plant height. 1 ceiling fan for air movement
20190105_131348.jpg
I love the smell of flowering Marijuana. I have a full empty basement where air is drawn up from and recirculate in the house. What are your thoughts? Is it necessary to exhaust outdoors. Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• 20190106_123404.jpg
    20190106_123404.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 97
The key factor I think is managing heat and humidity so that 1) the plants thrive and 2) you avoid mold etc in the grow area. If those are under control, no need to exhaust, but a little fan down low to encourage air circulation in the branches is always good.

For you, smell elimination is not a requirement. So no need to exhaust the grow room based on that.

Based on size, the room likely has fresh air exchange sufficient to keep the CO2 and oxygen levels in a good place.

It's been my experience that an "unfiltered" grow room can fill the house with odors. You like those odors, granted. But do please remember that what seems mild to you after having been in there all day (week, lol?) can hit visitors, neighbors, and even passers-by like a figurative hammer. In other words, it could be significantly stronger than you think. Also, if your home smells like cannabis... then you may well be advertising this whenever you leave your house (unless you store your clothing somewhere else, lol).

Just completed my first indoors grow room.
20190108_062946.jpg
20190108_033024.jpg
just standing up praying. Love this LED. I know this might go against protocal lol, but I'm going to flower under both of these. They are 1000watts each. I hope it works.

My first thoughts are CO2. If you have a room that is tight and not vented your plants wont have a fresh supply. If it's just a couple small plants in a room that big it might not be an issue but if you get that room half full in flower it might be an issue unless you start running CO2. Nice room by the way! Wish it was mine.

They are 1000watts each.

I have a strong suspicion (I'd put money on it, if I had any) that those are not 1000-watt lights. If they are, and you try plugging two of them into a standard household 15-amp 120-volt circuit, the first sound you'll hear after turning the second one on would be the faint <CLICK> as the breaker in your panel trips - because two 1000-watt devices, assuming no losses, would be a 16.6-amp load.

@ Autolabor1

I have to agree with TorturedSoul, you need to check the true wattage of those LED's, most LED's produce 50 to 65% of true wattage, so a 1000 W LED will use 500 to 750 true watts. It can be 1000W if setup to run at full capacity but the makers of these units have them dialed back to extend the life of the unit, if you ran at full capacity the unit life would be cut about in half.

For example my Old SS400 uses 5W LED diodes but the actual wattage is 320W in bloom mode and that was good at the time i bought it.

What is the make of your LED's? I will see if I can find you the actual wattage.

My first thoughts are CO2. If you have a room that is tight and not vented your plants wont have a fresh supply. If it's just a couple small plants in a room that big it might not be an issue but if you get that room half full in flower it might be an issue unless you start running CO2. Nice room by the way! Wish it was mine.
Thank you. I got a lot of great ideas from here. Great bunch of people here. I really don't know how many plants I can get in here but I'm going to try to get as many as I can. Just need more lights to complete.
20190108_054707_001.jpg
20190108_113909.jpg

Your numbers look better than mine! :) Be sure you get enough LED panels to cover the whole footprint. I suggest using a heavy-duty cord to put half your lights on another circuit. I borrow power from my laundry room, which has 20 amp circuits. A kitchen also has several 20 amp circuits. So you dont have to put the whole load on a 15 amp circuit.

Your numbers look better than mine! :) Be sure you get enough LED panels to cover the whole footprint. I suggest using a heavy-duty cord to put half your lights on another circuit. I borrow power from my laundry room, which has 20 amp circuits. A kitchen also has several 20 amp circuits. So you dont have to put the whole load on a 15 amp circuit.
I have decided to go with the King LED grow lights 2000 watt x 4. I need to get an Electrician in here to help me. Lol
20190112_230522.jpg

You are going to need at least one good carbon scrubber. I think you are greatly underestimating just how strong flowering plants smell. Your house will smell like a dispensary even with one with the amount of smoke you will have once you start harvesting. In my old room which sounds similar to your setup I had two carbon scrubbers and the air just got blown out the door by one of them to the rest of the house. For the last week or two of each batch my house would still stink like a pot farm I can’t even imagine what it would be like with none. Gl! :passitleft:

Well I have really no choice unfortunately. I can use the house blower to help distribute the air. But as far as the smell. I'll be living in it lol. Pray for me.

Well I have really no choice unfortunately. I can use the house blower to help distribute the air. But as far as the smell. I'll be living in it lol. Pray for me.

Hmm...

as far as the smell. I'll be living in it lol.
I can use the house blower to help distribute the odor.

There, I fixed it for you.

Pray for me.

Pray that my neighbors, friends, family, coworkers, employer, employees, mailmen, water meter reader, paper boy, et cetera all LOVE the smell of cannabis (and that they would never dream of robbing someone who is obviously growing it (and, if they would, they'd at least have the decency to not shoot all of the home's occupants on the way out the door so as to prevent the possibility of being identified later)).

I fixed that part, too ;) .

I fear that you have no concept whatsoever in regards to what cannabis in flower (or even well into its vegetative-growth phase) actually smells like and, more to the point, how strong that odor actually is. And, for that matter, that you have never tried walking into a large room with a double-Ziploc-bagged quarter ounce of da kind and suddenly realized that you were being looked at by every pair of eyes in the room - because, if so, you'd do a little mental math, multiplying that quantity of odor by the number of quarter ounces that you expect to harvest, lol.

Do you go deer hunting? If you do, it might be educational to leave the unused remains of a deer carcass somewhere nice and warm for, IDK, a couple weeks or so, then carry them inside (remember to grab both ends so it doesn't come apart, lol, and watch out for maggots), stick them into one of your closets, and <COUGH>"use the house blower to help distribute the air"<COUGH>. Make sure to replace the old deer carcass with a fresh(?) rotted/magot-filled one every couple of days. Continue to do this for... Oh, 80 days ought to do it:rofl:. Then take a shower, get dressed in clothing that was stored in a different closet in your house, visit one of your friends, and ask them how they like your new cologne. Be sure to wear waterproof shoes so you can hose their vomit off of them afterwards.

Here's a little tip I learned the hard way about 30 years ago: Buy some plastic totes (the good kind, ones that have a rubber gasket on the lid and a decent latching setup). Store all of your clothes in them. If you can arrange to store them at a friend's house and shower / get dressed there, that'd be a good idea, too :rolleyes: .

BtW, I have often wondered why people will waste time asking a question if they're just going to turn around and do whatever the <BLEEP> they were originally planning on doing regardless of the fact that pretty much every answer they get will be "DON'T DO THAT!" Are they just hoping that there will be one person who answers, "Yeah, screw reality, common sense, logic, and the knowledge of your peers who are answering based on their own hard-won experience - go ahead and do what you like," lol? If so, they should stop for a second and consider the fact that, in every group of people who are trying to rescue someone who is getting stomped bloody by an attacker, there's bound to be one guy hoping to see more blood. . . .

Update. I have had no issues with smell at all. I was worried about exhaust heat humidity. Boy it's like a warm summer day. No smell. Couldn't be happier. So if you worry about smell. Don't. It is no problem whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_155273716323F.jpg
    IMG_155273716323F.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190315_033425.jpg
    20190315_033425.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 91
Just because u dont smell it doesnt mean other people dont either. Its like a cigarette smoker, they dont notice the smell of cigs, but the smell blows a non-smoker away.
I didnt think my house smelled like weed either, until my little sis came over and told me she could smell it at the front door. After being around it for so long we get immune to the smell, my wife doesnt even notice the smell anyore and she doesnt even smoke pot. Just be careful bro the wrong person gets a whiff and youll either be in jail or get robbed. Were all just trying to look out for you my friend!!

Update. I have had no issues with smell at all. I was worried about exhaust heat humidity. Boy it's like a warm summer day. No smell. Couldn't be happier. So if you worry about smell. Don't. It is no problem whatsoever.
My drafty old farmhouse keeps the smell in the furnished attic very well and a few tomato plants with some greens growing downstairs cover any questionable smells quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom