Tok's First Mushroom Diary - Medical First/Recreation

Hey Tok, looking good in here, if the jars aren't contaminated, and no growth, you can reshoot them I've done it a few times over the years. I'm betting they were spore syringes and not liquid cultures, spores are definitely a slower process, but works no doubt. If you don't want to chance the jar and waste the solution, save it for another day and chaulk it up to the game friend. All the BEST! :volcano-smiley:

I hope all is well with you @safeman
I did not want to dominate @Slapalottapuss dairy so I moved it to my diary.

@Midwest GrowKits has a couple different sizes for jars and bags. Since, I was so new and did not want to buy things I needed during the grow. I when with the Ultimate Mushroom Growing & Incubator kit , but if you want to do bags they also have them. Check out their website Mushroom Growing Kits | Midwest Organics

I started out small because this is totally new to me. Don't get me wrong I did mushrooms in the 70's, but I never tried to grow them. Do you want to start out with jars or bags? I started out with jars, until I get a clue; then I may try bags, we'll see. @Spore Genetics has a very nice selection of spores, I when with a three pack for 50 dollars; It included Red Boy, A+ Albino and Blue Meanie.

If there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Be safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

I suppose everything is moving right along. Too early to see any Mycelial Growth during the Incubation Period. With a little luck I should start to see something in about 4 or 5 days. Not a lot to update at this point, but I did get some current images.

That's all folk's.

Be safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..
after using their grow kit --if you were to order again would you up-grade your kit -- see some that are $200.00

I hope all is well with you @safeman
I did not want to dominate @Slapalottapuss dairy so I moved it to my diary.

@Midwest GrowKits has a couple different sizes for jars and bags. Since, I was so new and did not want to buy things I needed during the grow. I when with the Ultimate Mushroom Growing & Incubator kit , but if you want to do bags they also have them. Check out their website Mushroom Growing Kits | Midwest Organics

I started out small because this is totally new to me. Don't get me wrong I did mushrooms in the 70's, but I never tried to grow them. Do you want to start out with jars or bags? I started out with jars, until I get a clue; then I may try bags, we'll see. @Spore Genetics has a very nice selection of spores, I when with a three pack for 50 dollars; It included Red Boy, A+ Albino and Blue Meanie.

If there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Tok..
great info - wanting to use bags

Thank you for stopping by @safeman

This is all new to me, that 's why I when with jars first.
They are cheaper and more of them to learn how to get it right.
I plan on getting some bags after I am down with the whole process in the mycelial growth phase.

I inoculated 6 jars only three started the mycelial growth phase.
I waited for an additional two weeks on still nothing on three jars.
I have since re-inoculated the same three jars, and waiting to see if they take.
This is exactly why I am playing with jars first.

Hope this helps.
If you do start and make a diary, tag me.

Tok..

I used the last of my Blue Meanie Cube 10cc spore syringe today on a new jar. In hopes this one will take. While I was at it, I also inoculated another Red Boy. No images today, but the other three in the mycelial growth phase, and coming along nicely. The first Red Boy jars is filled in on all side and progressing to the bottom of the jar. The other two A+ Albino are right behind the Red Boy. So I might be fruiting my Red Boy, while waiting for the A+ to catch up.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them. If I don't know the answers I will research it.

Have a great day.

Be safe and grow well my friends,
Tok..

when to midwest kits seen a few Ilike --1. with mason jars and innocuation tub = + other stuff cost !139>00 are few other were $59.00 + now the eco-sphere $312.00 and #400.00 they have every thing you need wanting to use bags not mason jars Please give me your thought and the one you think is/mite be best ALL UNPUT greatly appreciated ALSO the there a publication site that tell what each strain does tripping/ body/mine/halluation (heard that the strain Hollacoust or some thing like that now penis envy an golden teacher are interesting

Thank you for stopping by @safeman

I suppose the main question is how big do you want to go?
They have small setups and larger ones. I when with the Ultimate Mushroom growing kit and incubator (cost 109.00) to start, so I can learn before I put out to much money.

Buy Home Mushroom Kits Online | Midwest Grow Kits

This way I still have something I can use when I do go bigger.
Instead of putting it with all the other equipment I don't use any longer.

Hope this helps,

Tok..

Wow sorry for the delay, lots to catch up on.

1 - no show - re-inoculated on 10-13
1A - Red Boy - Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-01
2 - no show - re-inoculated on 10-13
2A - no show - re-inoculated on 10-13
3A - A+ Albino Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-01
3B - A+ Albino Mycelial Growth Phase started 10-01

1B - Red Boy - new jar inoculated on 18th. All out of spores.
2B - Blue Meanie - new jar inoculated on 18th. All out of spores

The only spores I have left are A+ Albino about 4cc.

So what has been going on since the last the I posted images. Red Boy has finished the mycelial growth phase and just starting the bottom of the jar, she has also started "pinning" inside the jar also. Jars 3 and 3A are just about finishing the mycelial growth phase on the sides of the jars, so it should not be to much longer.

Here are some current images.
I apologizes for the image dump, I did not realize I wasn't post current images until just now.

That's all folk's.

Be safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Once the mycelial growth phase is finished I will recede as followed.
Red Boy is the most developed jar, but it still has not fill the bottom of the jar. Maybe another week or so, before dunking.

How do you handle the fruit inside the jars?
It is recommended that all pins and forming mushroom inside the jar are removed before dunking the cake.

Much of the information I post is from Midwest Grow Kits , sometimes from other references. If you buy a kit they kind a walk you through it to get you started.

Birthing the Cakes
The first signs of mycelial growth should appear within 5-9 days. If none appear within two weeks, something went wrong. (Perhaps the heat killed the spores, or the spores simply did not make it into the cake.) Most types of mushroom mycelium will be a brilliant white fuzz, often growing in ropy strands. This ropy type of growth is called rhizomorphic growth, and is a sign that the mycelium will probably fruit very well.

Any other color is usually mold and a sign of contamination. A contaminated cake will not recover and, except in very rare instances, will never produce mushrooms.

Once a cake is completely covered in white mycelium usually around 4-5 weeks, wait at least 2-3 more days before taking the cake out of the jar. This allows any unseen mycelium to finish colonizing. When you are ready, and in a fairly clean room, begin transferring the cakes from their jars into their fruiting chamber.

Remove the band from the jar, slowly turn the jar upside down, so that the cake is resting on the jar lid. You may need to gently tap the jar to knock the cake loose. Sometimes a rubber mallet is needed to lightly tap the bottom of the jar to dislodge stubborn cakes.

Take the cake out of the jar and then carefully pick up the cake and turn it over so it is sitting right side up on the lid or small piece of aluminum foil. We usually recommend wearing gloves when handling the cakes, although once a cake is fully colonized they have their own immune system and are very resistant to molds and bacteria.

Dunking

After you “birth your cake” you will want to re-hydrate your cake. Place the cake into a slider zip lock bag, 1-quart size is perfect. Fill the bag with water (bottled spring water or filtered water is best) Place the cake in the bag, seal off any air in the bag by slowly zipping the bag closed and removing air as you go.

Do this for each cake in its own bag. We recommend placing the bags into a big bowl or pot to avoid any leakage issues.

Next you want to let them soak for 18-23 hours. Do this after every Flush. Do not exceed 23 hours in the water. Place back in fruiting chamber. Within 4-7 days it will start pinning and producing more mushrooms. Some people like to dunk right after they birth them, but others like to wait until after the first flush of mushrooms. This is up to you!

If you want a batch of mushrooms right away then dunk after the first flush.

If you can wait, we recommend dunking right after birth. When dunking for the second or third time a great tip is to place the bags in the fridge for the dunking process. This cold shock can help trigger stubborn cakes to re-start the mushroom producing cycle again without any harm to the cakes.

Note:
@Midwest GrowKits recommends separate bags for each cake to avoid any cross contamination in the case you have any issues with one. If you are certain all the jars look healthy you can use a larger gallon size Ziplok slider bag with multiple cakes per bag.

I hope this answered your question @Carmen Ray

Tok..

Thank you for stopping in and checking my first attempt @Carmen Ray

Once, I see some growth I will be able to have patience's.
Just curious, if I inoculated them properly.

The tank is sitting next to a window for indirect light.
Hey Tok, I quoted just part of your post in regards to a question asked about light schedule. I have been all over the documentation I have, and watched several videos, but no one is mentioning what the required light is after you've inoculated the jars. You just have the tubs sitting by a window with regular daytime and night time lighting, right?
I did read what to do during the fruiting stage, but nothing before that.

This reminds me of a work quote: "They treat me like a mushroom, keep me in the dark and feed me bullsh*t" :laugh:

Thank you for stopping by @Lady Cannafan

I have my tub near a window for indirect light, on cloudy days I just turn the room light on. I will be using the dual spectrum light that came with the kit soon to induce fruiting.

Per Midwest Grow kits
Inducing Fruiting (Producing Mushrooms)

In order to initiate fruiting, three main conditions must be met for the cakes; first, they need light. Room light, indirect sunlight is best but daylight spectrum LED lights and fluorescent lights contain lots of blue light which work very well.

The plug in dual spectrum light in our kits has the ideal spectrums to induce mushroom pinning and encourage growth. They also need a very high humidity environment. 85-99% humidity. Lastly, it is a good idea to lower the temperature range 2 degrees lower than your incubating temperature. (If possible) to about 75-77 degrees F. Like the light, this signals the cakes to begin fruiting.

However, most popular strains fruit so easily that lowering the temperature is not absolutely necessary. Many types of gourmet mushrooms like fruiting in lower temperatures. Brown Beech, Black Poplar, and King Stropharia prefer temps around 68-72 degrees for fruiting.

Hope this helps.

Tok..

I used the last of my Blue Meanie Cube 10cc spore syringe today on a new jar. In hopes this one will take. While I was at it, I also inoculated another Red Boy. No images today, but the other three in the mycelial growth phase, and coming along nicely. The first Red Boy jars is filled in on all side and progressing to the bottom of the jar. The other two A+ Albino are right behind the Red Boy. So I might be fruiting my Red Boy, while waiting for the A+ to catch up.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them. If I don't know the answers I will research it.

Have a great day.

Be safe and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Wish I had some nice scrooms for the weekend. Good luck with your new project. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom