Tranquilgreen - Hydro & Soil - First Grow Journal

Yesterday I put some new seeds in water. Today I put them in the wet towel in the heat along with tomato seeds and other garden things. Train Wreck, Green Crack (my fav), Sour Diesel and Critical Mass. These go in organic soil with amendments and a little Superthrive once they get a start on roots. Eventually I might choose a couple for outdoor grow.

Ranger, I raised 4 legged animals rather than crops though I did take a turn with hay. I have a small flock of sheep now so I am not actually retired. Farmers never retire. :cheesygrinsmiley: They just change their crops! ;)

Yep the hippie in me never left.

Right on, Sister!
Raising hay is work! I prefer the way they do it in Europe: small amounts frequently, rather than 1 massive haul. Still work, but a lot more civilized. They get better hay too. Are the sheep for meat or wool?

I think you'll like Trainwreck. Mine's been very forgiving of my various and sundry inconsistencies. Be careful of over-watering early, and cut back on N as soon as you go to BloomPhase. I had a slight clawing issue that I'd rather you didn't repeat.

Love and respect
RLTW

I'm looking forward to the TW. I enjoy a heady high that lets me work during the day otherwise I am unable to crawl off the couch and get the stuff done I need to do.

The sheep are for meat mostly plus a couple Romneys for handspinning wool. Just sold the last of last years lambs for butcher. It was hard to see my bottle baby go, but he had a good lamb life, much better than most. I just have a flock of 15 plus ram, Hampshires.

So nutes cause clawing? Wow, so much to learn still... Do you think TW would like it outside? Is it resistant to mold?

Thank you kindly for the advice.

:circle-of-love:

yes your TW is resistant to mold and I have seen other members grow it outside... It too is a breeze to grow so far.... I have 2 of them growing in the house... Well actually Purple TW but same idea.... I have one under the Spider16 and 1 under the Spider4... they are beautiful plants and quite leggy.... but they are both stacking on buds very well... I have never had TW before but have heard really good things about it... It is one I am really looking forward to.....:circle-of-love:

Dennise, you're a doll helping me make up my mind about the outside grow later on this year. :circle-of-love: We're supposed to have a warmer summer than normal which will be just right for our favorite plants.

So far I seem to have gotten rid of the jinx on my Pineapple Chunk. The rest of my PC seeds germinated and are breaking the surface nicely. The Chocolate Kush seems to be shy however. I understand they are shorter plants and perhaps more temperamental. One is in DWC and the other two are in soil. Pictures later. :Namaste:

My Train Wreck, Green Crack, Sour Diesel and Critical Mass are planted in soil now. All but Green Crack are up and starting their secondary leaves. The GC is just now poking up with her helmet on. I have two fans blowing on the girls and that seems to help keep them from getting leggy. I have my cfl almost on top of them, maybe 3 inches above them.

My White Widow looks like she got nute burn on her leaves but I don't remember spraying her with anything other than water. I'll post some photos later today or tomorrow. She was the first one under the LED (in veg mode), maybe that had something to do with it.
:Namaste:

Nice start so far, and damn that is a big tent for 4 plants. I heard hydro was making the plant a lot larger so it is more safe !
Keep up and try uploading more pictures, I am sure we all wanna see what's up with your babys.
My White Widow looks like she got nute burn on her leaves but I don't remember spraying her with anything other than water. I'll post some photos later today or tomorrow. She was the first one under the LED (in veg mode), maybe that had something to do with it.
:Namaste:
It is probably not a nute burn but just a burn due to the water being too cold maybe ? Shouldn't be a big deal anyway
Check my thread if you have time, smaller garden than yours and doing autos

Good luck
:peacetwo:

Thanks Ranger! :high-five:

Yeah it's a big tent now blvck but one day I will have another tent for clones and mother's and this one will be for flowering. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'll check out your grow tonight.

Thanks for stopping by. I accidentally erased my camera of the photos I took so going to take more now before lights out. Probably post them tomorrow.

Greetings all!
While Tranquilgreen is at the weed festival in Denver I'll be your substitute grower. I've a few years experience growing in hydro (poorly) and soil (definitely my preference). I've never used an LED before so I'm excited to see what kind of grow it can fuel.

I'm keeping the tent between 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit at around 75% RH. Temperature is fairly stable, only changing 3-5 degrees each day. Humidity is harder to stabilize with the current set-up. It likes to rest around 40%. I've been raising it twice a day to around 80% and then letting it fall gradually over the day, bumping it up again in the evening. I'm a little concerned that the temperature of the growing mediums is low (DWC & rooting tray) but we currently have no way to check those temps. Best I can do is keep the room temp nice.

Sorry I have no camera so won't post pictures but, everything in soil is doing well, except one of the Chocolate Kush which still hasn't broken soil. They are a little leggy but I'm pretty sure that's because the LED is on 24/7 below them while their own FL is on 16/8. It's time to transplant most of them to bigger pots and drop them under the LED with the DWC. I'm also going to put the LED on a 16/8 cycle.

The plants in the DWC are growing slow, the White Widow in particular is having difficulties. I'm not sure what the problem is yet. I'm feeding Superthrive at 1/4 tsp per gallon (the DWC is holding 4 gallons) and keeping the ph near 6.00. Is the water too cool? Are my nutes off? Is my PH tester mis-calibrated? Am I mistaken about the needs of the breed? You'll have to wait for Tranquilgreen to come home and post pictures before we'll know, probably.

Plants in the DWC have better color and firmness this morning. Charts indicate a ph of 5.8 is ideal for nutrient absorption in hydro. Seems my PH was too low. Took a reading with our new TDS tester. The manufacturer says it's calibrated before it leaves the factory. When I tested it in distilled water it returns a reading of 000, as it should if calibrated. Seems for seedlings I should keep the ppm under 600. I added grow nutes to the DWC to bring it's ppm up. I turned on small outtake fan and opened a window last night at 6pm, to help control the rise in heat.

Yesterdays readings
@9am measured 40% at 73F. 5.02PH
Adjusted 75% at 75F. 5.75PH
@6pm measured 45% at 81F. 4.71PH and 424ppm
Adjusted 43% at 79F. 5.81PH and 523ppm

This mornings readings
@9am measured 43% at 75F. 6.22PH and 523ppm
Adjusted 71% at 73F. 5.80PH and 556ppm

I'm back from a week-long activity fest of smokeness plus the cannibus cup, cooking edibles, visiting grows and general learning until my brain can't fit any more in!

Sad times once I returned. My cat died the day before I got in. :rip:

Seedlings damped off due to too much water.

DWC showing signs of toxicity so I replaced most of the water to help them recover. I thank ashadowalker for helping me care for all those baby girls while I was gone. We both now realize a good thing can become a bad thing if overused!

The last three White Widow seeds got planted today in soil after showing root development. I have made up a seed potting mix that includes worm casings and mycorrhizal. Watered with pH correct water and now they are under the florescent grow lights. :cheer:

Raised up the humidity to 80% for awhile, it will drop naturally but meanwhile the babies need some moisture through their leaves.

This grow is turning into a major extravaganza. :confused: Now if I can just get rid of this congestion. Doc gave me some antibiotics so I hope it helps keep my bronchitis at bay.

I feel a little better today yuyo. :thanks:

I threw out the over-watered girls that fell over last night, I don't think they will recover.

This morning the humidity in the tent is 75% the temp is 77 and the pH in the DWC is 6.0 I will take pictures later today.

The girls in the DWC are looking like they went through a hurricane. I decided I am going to dump the water in the DWC and put in fresh water with no nutes. There is slime in the water floating around and coating the air hose. The leaves on one plant look like they have a deficiency. Darker green in the veins and lighter elsewhere. I wonder should I put a bit of CalMag in the fresh water?

:reading420magazine:

I finally got a chance to take some pictures.

overw1.jpg

overw2.jpg

nutes310.jpg

nutes211.jpg

nutes111.jpg

After refilling the DWC with fresh distilled water and adjusting pH I have some happy plants. They had a night to adjust and today they seem to be growing before my eyes.

Last nights readings
Measured 80% at 76 F. 6.00 pH

This mornings readings
@8am measured 53% at 74 F. 6.02 pH
Adjusted 80% at 77 F. 5.9 pH and 1.30 ppm

I gave the DWC some CalMag and a bit of grow nutes before the readings.

I saved one of the soil plants that had been laying down. Put her in a new bigger pot with soil, worm casings and mycorrhizal. Propped her up a bit and now she looks like she might make it. Time will tell. She is Sour Diesel.

Back
Top Bottom