Pineapple Chunk Hydro Grow From Seeds

Day 34: Things are progressing nicely. Even the runt is now poking through the trellis. No more individual pictures just the overview and some training shots.

Overview:
P1014951_edited.jpg

The next three show how I'm using my new homemade trellis to do some LST. The wires are strong enough to get some bend in the stalks.
P1014952_edited.jpg

P1014953_edited.jpg

P1014954_edited.jpg

Any reason you're training above the net instead of using the net to make a canopy?
The primary reason for my doing LST this way is to open up bud sites on the main stalk. By bending over the primary stalk, it allows a new bud site to form. I will be weaving in other bud sites that come from below, but my past experience by doing this is I get several more really big buds. This is a picture from my first grow of blueberry. These were some big buds. There were 5 plants in this grow.
P52046511.JPG

Here is an overview of the tent.
P50742991.JPG

That was over two years ago and I still have some left and its even better than ever after two years of vacuum packed darkness.

Another day 34 update. The lights came on at 10pm and low and behold we have bud! Little budlets are starting to form, its so exciting. Now the fun begins watching them take shape.

I also did a res change today.
Per gallon al GH Flora series:
Micro 7.5 ml
Grow 2.5 ml
Bloom 12.5 ml
Roots Accelerator 1ml
Diamond Nectar 5ml
L Kool Bloom 2.5ml
Floralicius Plus 1ml
Flora Nectar (Pineapple) 5ml

PH 5.4
Res Temp 68F

Overview:
P1014955_edited.jpg

If you know what your looking for you can see them developing. Especially in the first picture.
P1014961_edited_-_Copy.jpg

P1014956_edited.jpg

P1014957_edited.jpg

P1014958_edited.jpg

P1014959_edited_-_Copy.jpg

P1014960_edited_-_Copy.jpg

P1014962_edited_-_Copy.jpg

P1014963_edited_-_Copy.jpg

Day 38 Update:
The buds are coming in nicely! Starting to look like a jungle again!

Overview:
P1014964_edited.jpg

Couple of pics of the developing buds. This is the tallest one and you can see several bud sites developing. The main stalk looks like its going to be gianormous!
P1014965_edited.jpg

Nice group of buds.
P1014966_edited.jpg

For 38 Days they are doing quite nicely. They have at least 7 more weeks to go.
P1014967_edited.jpg

Another update for Day 39: The reason for this quick update is I may have an issue I would like some opinions on.

Overview Picture still looking good, if anything they have gotten more bushy in the last 24 hours and bud sites are popping up everywhere. The question plant is the tall middle one on the left.
P1014970_edited.jpg

Buds are developing nicely!
P1014971_edited.jpg

Lots of new sites!
P1014976_edited.jpg

In this picture I've circled the problem area. Close up to follow, just want you to note the nice buds forming at the top.
P1014977_edited1.jpg

Then low and behold I see these! Only in two places on my largest plant that has lots of buds. They look like male ball sacks on my female plant. Is this a hermie?
Male_maybe.jpg

P1014974.JPG

Then there this one that looks like it has male sacs but a bud is forming there.
P1014973.JPG

Any opinions would be helpful. I can't remember seeing them in any previous grows, but they were from clones. Do I need to pull this plant, I hate to it is my nicest one and has tons of bud sites!

That sucks. Yeah, looks like you got a hermie. I've read a few things about Barney's having screwy genetics (hermies, plants that never flower, etc).
Maybe somebody knows how to save her/him. I don't and I'd probably kill her/him just to be safe. What a bummer man.

Yes I'd get that one out ASAP.
I ran three female Pineapple Chunk phenos, am down to just the best one now, but haven't had any hermie issues with them over the last year+ and I've given them plenty of excuse to hermie. Could be just bad luck.

That sucks. Yeah, looks like you got a hermie. I've read a few things about Barney's having screwy genetics (hermies, plants that never flower, etc).
Maybe somebody knows how to save her/him. I don't and I'd probably kill her/him just to be safe. What a bummer man.

Yes I'd get that one out ASAP.
I ran three female Pineapple Chunk phenos, am down to just the best one now, but haven't had any hermie issues with them over the last year+ and I've given them plenty of excuse to hermie. Could be just bad luck.

You could always try pulling off the sacs and monitoring the plant more closely. Plants don't always go full hermie, sometimes they get a few sacs here and there.

That's what I thought. I'm hoping Sonora is right, because the plant is loaded with bud sites and only a few (two) places these show up so far. I just checked the plant thoroughly and did not find any more. I don't think it will hurt to wait a day or two to see if it gets worse. There was a small light leak in that area, which I have fixed, could this have caused it?

Thanks for the quick response!

I personally haven't ever had a plant grow balls from stress, only nanners. And god knows I've put some plants through a lot of stress at times over the last ten years. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I don't remember reading of it happening anywhere. Haven't really had the need to go out looking for that info because I haven't had that problem. I have had lots of nanners, caused by all kinds of issues, including genetics.

I've had plenty of hermies with balls too. Well, maybe not 'plenty', but they pop up every now and then when growing from seed. They've always shown their sex(s) during veg or early flowering. I've many times put plants in to the flowering room as girls and had them grow some balls within the first two or three weeks of flowering. Completely missed at least one of them till everything was badly pollinated.

I've never had a plant grow balls past the early flowering stage.
I don't think I've ever had nanners appear before mid- late flowering.

I've always associated nanners with stress, and/or genetics, and considered the appearance of balls as a sign of a true genetic hermie, not stress related. This is based just on my experience though.

The times I've tried to pluck the balls off- they just kept growing more and more. But it's been a while since I've tried that and I'm sure all hermies are not created equal. So as long as they're not spreading pollen yet, it's definitely worth a try to pluck them off.
Don't miss any!

So I like to be an optimist. And when you look at your situation optimistically, the worst-case scenario is that you'll end up with a grow room full of seed-ed pot with decent genetics, so you'll never have to buy seeds again, and you'll still end up with some bud to smoke while you start working through the hundreds of seeds in your new collection.

You're not trying to outrun cheetahs on your way to the watering hole 4 miles away, brother. Life's good.

Sonora, the problem I've had with these type of seeds caused by hermies, is that the plants they grow seem to have the have hermie traits as well. I've produced huge piles of seeds from hermies and nanners. I grew lots of them out- mostly the ones from nanners, and always had more nanners. For a couple years I would just grow from seed. I'd throw them in the pot liberally, and pick the surviving plants out of the resulting jungle and transplant them. Then I'd save the best looking dozen females of the batch and flower those. They always showed nanners about 2/3 of the way through flowering. It wasn't the end of the world, but it was a relief to finally move on to different strains that were not so sexually confused. I don't keep those sorts of seeds anymore- just the ones produced by regular males.

Edit- do you really have monkeys?

I personally haven't ever had a plant grow balls from stress, only nanners. And god knows I've put some plants through a lot of stress at times over the last ten years. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I don't remember reading of it happening anywhere. Haven't really had the need to go out looking for that info because I haven't had that problem. I have had lots of nanners, caused by all kinds of issues, including genetics.

I've had plenty of hermies with balls too. Well, maybe not 'plenty', but they pop up every now and then when growing from seed. They've always shown their sex(s) during veg or early flowering. I've many times put plants in to the flowering room as girls and had them grow some balls within the first two or three weeks of flowering. Completely missed at least one of them till everything was badly pollinated.

I've never had a plant grow balls past the early flowering stage.
I don't think I've ever had nanners appear before mid- late flowering.

I've always associated nanners with stress, and/or genetics, and considered the appearance of balls as a sign of a true genetic hermie, not stress related. This is based just on my experience though.

The times I've tried to pluck the balls off- they just kept growing more and more. But it's been a while since I've tried that and I'm sure all hermies are not created equal. So as long as they're not spreading pollen yet, it's definitely worth a try to pluck them off.
Don't miss any!

Yeah, I got hermies confused with nanners. I will keep an eye on the plant. If I see any more I will pluck it. Disappointing because it was the plant that was looking the best.

So I like to be an optimist. And when you look at your situation optimistically, the worst-case scenario is that you'll end up with a grow room full of seed-ed pot with decent genetics, so you'll never have to buy seeds again, and you'll still end up with some bud to smoke while you start working through the hundreds of seeds in your new collection.

You're not trying to outrun cheetahs on your way to the watering hole 4 miles away, brother. Life's good.

I am hoping for the best case scenario!

Sonora, the problem I've had with these type of seeds caused by hermies, is that the plants they grow seem to have the have hermie traits as well. I've produced huge piles of seeds from hermies and nanners. I grew lots of them out- mostly the ones from nanners, and always had more nanners. For a couple years I would just grow from seed. I'd throw them in the pot liberally, and pick the surviving plants out of the resulting jungle and transplant them. Then I'd save the best looking dozen females of the batch and flower those. They always showed nanners about 2/3 of the way through flowering. It wasn't the end of the world, but it was a relief to finally move on to different strains that were not so sexually confused. I don't keep those sorts of seeds anymore- just the ones produced by regular males.

Edit- do you really have monkeys?

I hear you, I don't need a bunch of hermie seeds. I'll keep an eye on them for a day or two, if more show up, I am going to pluck it. Can just one of these pollinate my whole crop?

Back
Top Bottom