Pineapple Chunk Hydro Grow From Seeds

Day 23 Update:
Getting ready for the move to the main tent. The PChunk is looking good, except for #3. It looks to be the runt of the litter. It has good roots showing out of the bottom of the pot but its obvious that its is smaller. Here are the update pictures. Not much interest in my grow, maybe when the buds start showing up.

Day 23 overview:
P1014904.JPG

Plant 1:
P1014905.JPG

Plant 2:
P1014906.JPG

Plant 3, looks a bit stunted.
P1014907.JPG

Plant 4:
P1014908.JPG

Plant 5 looks to be the Queen!
P1014909.JPG

Plant 6:
P1014910.JPG

This is my main tent. In it I have a 1000W HPS with a variable ballast and two fluorescents. I used to have two blower fans, but to save electricity I am using only one by rerouting the exhaust fan through the filter and the light. I hope I can keep the temps down this way, I do have a portable AC unit I can hook up to the tent if need be. I will also be using CO2 on a timer. My Hydro system is from Greentrees Hydro, called the Multiflow System. It has worked flawlessly in my first two grows. This time I have changed it up a little. I installed a top feed fill system. I believe this system will be better as it will wash the salts down on the fill cycle. I am still planning to have a full flood cycle per a normal E&F system. I routed the feed lines in a loop hoping this would provide even flow through all the sprinklers and it did, my test of the system worked perfectly. Before starting I cleaned all the pots, and unhooked all the lines and ran hot water through them to clean them. I was surprised at how much junk had collected in the lines in just two grows.
P1014899.JPG

The outer pot with the new sprinkler.
P1014900.JPG

This is the controller box hooked up to the fill reservoir. It has a timer with 15 min increments. I feed three times a day.
P1014901.JPG

This is the inside of the fill reservoir. It has the switches to control the fill level and contains the drain pump.
P1014902.JPG

I use a 30 Gal Trash Can as the main Reservoir, this is the way I hooked up the feed lines with a tee so that it will feed evenly.
P1014903.JPG

I'm thinking that in a week when the plants are around a foot tall, I will transplant the PChunk into the main tent. Then go to flower cycle.

I am also planning on trying a new method of building a trellis to support the buds. I plan on using anodized bailing wire. I will loop the wire on three sides of the tents on the poles, and at three different levels. Then as the plants grow I will attach new wires where ever needed to support the plants as they grow. I am hoping to avoid the jungle of wire ties I used to help hang them in the past like this. This is a picture from a previous grow.
P52046511.JPG

Not much interest in my grow so far. I thought I would get some comments on the Hybrid Top Feed Ebb & Flow. Grow journals aren't much use without interaction and discussion on grow techniques.

This is a shot of my lights and carbon filter setup:
P1014911.JPG

I picked up this adjustable fan controller from one of :420: vendors, can't remember which one. Really helps me keep the noise down. The fan only needs to work at 80% to service my small tent and at 80% its way quieter.
P1014912.JPG

Introducing my new adjustable trellis. This is in the retracted state so that I can get in the tent and set it up and get the plants in.
P1014913.JPG

Then I will deploy the trellis after the transplant like this. I can move it around a lot. It doesn't look like it will hold the plants very well, but I have a solution for that.
P1014914.JPG

As the plants grow and fill the trellis I will use small plastic ties to firm up the trellis and hold the plant firmly. Like this:
P1014915.JPG

There will be one hundred holes available and I hope to get a bud growing out of each one. I can also adjust the height of the trellis also. Also because the wire is flexible the holes don't have to be symmetrical, this will allow me to work the plants more. The roll of wire cost about $5 and it took me about an hour total to build. We shall just have to see if its going to work as well as I hope. My last grow had so many big heavy buds (nice problem) that I had a devil of a time keeping them from falling down. I hoping with some creative weaving I will minimize my need for additional support.

Love the set up man! I have a couple DWC buckets with a spare res and all the stuff to set up a hydro grow but it just seemed a lil intimidating. so i stuck with soil.. Im definitely gonna have to try it out when warmer weather gets here tho. :thumb:

Love the set up man! I have a couple DWC buckets with a spare res and all the stuff to set up a hydro grow but it just seemed a lil intimidating. so i stuck with soil.. Im definitely gonna have to try it out when warmer weather gets here tho. :thumb:
I'm glad its winter. It should help keep temps down. 1000W in a 4x4 tent gets hot. It's really the setup that's a pain, once you get it going its pretty easy.

Hey mate. People do peek in, as I have been doing. It always takes a little while to get a few followers. Myself I'm so oversubscribed I try not to get any more journals on the list. I've been growing PChunk for the last year or more so will keep an eye on this one. Looking good. :thumb:

Hey mate. People do peek in, as I have been doing. It always takes a little while to get a few followers. Myself I'm so oversubscribed I try not to get any more journals on the list. I've been growing PChunk for the last year or more so will keep an eye on this one. Looking good. :thumb:

Thanks, just checked out your grow. Seeing your PC has me drooling for mine. How's it taste?

I have to admit that I don't smoke it very much as indicas are not really my thing and tend to make my brain short out :lot-o-toke: I got in a position to grow for a couple patients, who have managed to convince the powers that be that they need herb to survive. They're the ones who are always clamoring for it. The taste and smell is super dank and strong. It's a stretch to say that it smells or tastes like pineapple, but once in a while I can almost see how they came up with that. Possibly a very overripe and sweet fruity smell. It will definitely stink up your room with its crazy fumes. It's also very strong knock you on your ass kinda smoke.
I'm mostly growng sativas now and I probably would have moved on to just sativas if it wasn't for these patients. I was getting a bit bored of growing the PC, but the last round I did ( here- Oh No - It's A Green Hole! - Reverse Thrusters! - Dammit - Too Late!) came out in especially beautiful colors, possibly as a result of reducing the lighting hours, and it's given me a whole new interest in the strain.

I have to admit that I don't smoke it very much as indicas are not really my thing and tend to make my brain short out :lot-o-toke: I got in a position to grow for a couple patients, who have managed to convince the powers that be that they need herb to survive. They're the ones who are always clamoring for it. The taste and smell is super dank and strong. It's a stretch to say that it smells or tastes like pineapple, but once in a while I can almost see how they came up with that. Possibly a very overripe and sweet fruity smell. It will definitely stink up your room with its crazy fumes. It's also very strong knock you on your ass kinda smoke.
I'm mostly growng sativas now and I probably would have moved on to just sativas if it wasn't for these patients. I was getting a bit bored of growing the PC, but the last round I did ( here- Oh No - It's A Green Hole! - Reverse Thrusters! - Dammit - Too Late!) came out in especially beautiful colors, possibly as a result of reducing the lighting hours, and it's given me a whole new interest in the strain.
Those buds look beautiful, exactly what I'm hoping for.

February 1st Day 27 Moving Day:
I checked out the roots and they are starting to grow out of the pots.
P1014916.JPG

You can see the roots here and
P1014917.JPG

The transplant process rips these roots off so I did not want to go much farther before transplanting.

I got my inner pots ready first with a layer of hydroton
P1014918.JPG

Then a layer of rock wool
P1014919.JPG

Here they all are after transplant. You can tell I'm not growing clones because they all look different. Clones tend to grow more uniformly. As you can see I have moved as much out of the tent as possible to maximize the room they have to grow.
P1014920.JPG

You can see the nutrient coming out of the spray feeders. I zip tied them to the pot for preventative measures.
P1014921.JPG

I broke one of the feeders so the runt of the litter Plant 3 gets fed this way until I go by the Hydro store and get a replacement. Probably won't make a difference but it was stupid of me not to buy some spares, they are cheap.
P1014924.JPG

The plants look real good if I get similar results that STIHL LOGGER got I will be very happy. My two previous grows I averaged over 750 grams dry for each harvest. With the top feed and some light manipulation at the end of the grow I hope to exceed that maybe reach that 1 gram per watt milestone.
P1014925.JPG

P1014926.JPG

P1014927.JPG

Now things should start to get real interesting.

Day 29: First full day under 12/12 HPS at 750W.

Overview picture:
P1014928_edited.jpg

Plant 1: As many have mentioned taking pictures under an HPS is less than desirable. Adobe has recently released a free version of Photoshop. It does many of the simple corrections you need to make your pictures better. I adjusted the temperature (white balance) and tint. And reduced the exposure a little. You can see the difference with the pictures of Plant 1. I included an uncorrected version. Its not perfect but not bad. With practice maybe I can do better.
P1014929_edited.jpg

P1014929.JPG

Plant 2:
P1014930_edited.jpg

Plant 3:
P1014931_edited.jpg

Plant 4:
P1014932_edited.jpg

Plant 5:
P1014933_edited.jpg

Plant 6:
P1014934_edited.jpg

Have you tried the cooling filters? Think it's filter menu then photo and then look for the blue ones....80A or something about there and play with the intensity slider.

You could use a mired shift calculator to work out the filter required to get from, say, 2700K to 6500K but certain wavelengths will still be lacking from the source so it'll never be perfect.

I have several filters for my camera. Its a DSLR so later on when we have buds and Tric's I will do some close ups. The adobe program does a sufficient job for me. I've never used a mired shift calculator, do you have a link?

Day 31 Update:
First plant has risen through the trellis yesterday. Here are pictures:

The overview: Plant 3 is so small you can't see it. I'm debating just pulling it. Guess it won't hurt just to leave it.
P1014935_edited.jpg

Plant 3:
P1014936_edited.jpg

Plant 1: First plant to break through the trellis
P1014937_edited.jpg

Plant 2:
P1014938_edited.jpg

Plant 6: Kind of small also
P1014939_edited.jpg

Plant 5: Fallen to 2nd place in height but is definitely a bushy indica.
P1014941_edited.jpg

Plant 4:
P1014942_edited.jpg

You can see where I have locked Plant 1 in place with the plastic ties.
P1014943_edited.jpg

I may take a clone of plant 5, grow a mother and do another grow. Or maybe just bloom the clone in the veg tent to just get a small late harvest.

Day 36 Update:
Did a res change this week. Outside temps have started to go up around here, with temps in the high 70's. The tent is staying in the 77F-84F according to my meter, it should be ok. I found a new way to vent the hot air outside and it has helped a lot. Made me a little nervous as it dumps out right over the parking garage, if my CF ever fails, I'll have some explaining to do. They are still young but are getting quite stinky. I'm legal here but it never pays to be too careful. The plants have grown quite a bit in the last 5 days with all but the runt now growing through the trellis.

Overview, you can see the change from 5 days ago.
P1014944_edited.jpg

Soon there will be no point in showing individual plants as it is starting to junglize. (My made up term)
The runt Plant 3 is still short but is growing nicely. I'm glad I put her in a corner, she might have a better chance there.
P1014945_edited.jpg

Plant 6 has been doing nicely.
P1014946_edited.jpg

Plant 5 is the bushiest.
P1014947_edited.jpg

Plant 1 is the tallest
P1014948_edited.jpg

Plant 2
P1014949_edited.jpg

Plant 4 is a strange one, its now poking through the trellis. For a long time it looked nothing like the others, I made sure it was a female and let it go. Now its starting to resemble the others as its growing.
P1014950_edited.jpg

I've decided that with all six growing nicely I am not going to do the clone thing. When these are done, I will grow a series of single plant grows in my small tent. That way I can have a variety. I think I will do the free Feminized Jack Herer first. Then I have two white widows regular seeds hoping one will be female after that.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was paying attention. Thanks for the interest in my grow. I do have to keep an eye on the water. They have consumed 7.5Gal this last week. And you need to keep track of PH and Res temp as well. But it does make keeping track of the plant growth easier as noted. I can see the attraction of having several different strains going, and growing year round. But I will get enough for myself and my small circle of fortunate friends to last a year, so this is the most practical way for me. I do enjoy growing and I will probably start a single plant in my small veg tent. I've done it in the past and it works well, even with the cheap Chinese 300W LED. I will do more frequent updates when the buds start to form.

Back
Top Bottom