Twelve12's Breeding Program

TokerJoker suprised! Haha, yeah things are rought at the moment. Thanks for recognizing my ability in the world of cannabis cultivation.

Goshawk I took a simple approach when starting out. At the time I only had feminized seeds, and started collecting regular seed for a chance at getting a male plant. The first male plant I got was Grapefruit Diesel. I took the opportunity and pollinated the available female plants at the time; Pineapple Express, Vanilla Kush, and Cheese. The project was for personal adventure and for basic understanding of plant genetics, never thought about going commercial until I received positive feed back from the community on Firestorm (Pineapple Express x Grapefruit Diesel), and other cross yet to sprout. Now I see the possibility of going commercial I need to stabilize them first. There are a few ways to do this, however I wanted to get as many seeds I can from different variety of crosses before I focus on selections.

hey Twelve12or as they say in Hawaii , Howzit ? I will have hella males to select from this year. I am blessed to have your example, I am blessed with the resources and time to carry out my own breeding program. Thanks for the inspiration, I know I've said it a few times. Your work here has shown that it can be done. :peace::love:
P.S.
Clone_city_and_seeds_2.JPG

The beginning of my breeding program starts with these clones and the seeds in cups and shot glasses, and the hash plant male in the closet.
:thanks:

Hey 12 it's really shitty that after I tune in late find this grow and finally read through it all this drama happens all cus of a woman. Hope you stick around here bud as I'd love to pick your brain on a few things. Anyway I'm sure that good times lay ahead of you and judging by your grow I'm sure anybody would love to have a grower of your calibre working for them. Once Im more established I plan on using your journal and info as a guide for my own. Thanks for making life easier for new growers like me.

Smoke2Js You're welcome. Now with more taking up on breeding there will be plenty of good example to look at. Your adventure will provide inspiration to those who came across your work. Many will become expert in this new (to this community) movement in cannabis cultivation and will provide insight on how to become guardian of this plant and strain. The plant that could save many lives may very well be breed and grown by you. That is why breeding is important or could just simply a curiosity to see what happen.

Glad you took up on breeding and in the up coming months you'll have results of your F1 in bud form.

Your collection of strains are impressive; Purple Urkle, Blue Cheese, Romulan, Strawberry Cough are legendary, have not look into Omrita Rx yet. They are sought after strains especially the Purple Urkle and Blue Cheese. I need those in my collection in the future. With the hash plant male will make things interesting. While you breed them for seed production take some time to read up on DJ Short materials (for convenience I have most of his articles including class seminar in my blog) to get an understanding of genetic and what to expect in offspring per generation. Have fun and looking forward to your first seed creation.

Lord Indica what is Genesis wing?

Joesoap welcome to the breeding program or what was left of it. Yes, all from one crazy women. Emphasis on the word crazy. No worries I'm still young and will get back on track once I find the next train ride. Thank you for recognizing my ability, though I'm just getting started and still have a long way to go. Never ending adventure. Looking forward to your grow. Checked out your journal looking good!

Hey twelve how long does it take for a seed to form a hard shell? reason I ask is my entire sog turned out to be intersex plants they are 60 days into 12/12 and judging by the % of cloudy trichomes they have about 3 weeks left is that enough time for seeds to develop?

gittergreen Good question. Your plant should finish budding with ready seeds at the same time. From my experience it took 3-4 weeks for seeds to ripen from the time it was pollinated. If you are in a hurry to grow out the offspring, then 2 weeks into pollination some will be ready.

You should be fine with your current flowering schedule. However, keep in mind that there are some small percentage of seeds that will not be fully developed after 4 weeks. Mostly due to available pollen still floating around or still being pollinated by the male/hermaphrodite plants near by. Do not be alarm if this is the case. Best to remove any pollen producer plants away from the flowering room to stop any late pollination from happening.

Thanks twelve thats what I was afraid of! I was reading about hermies and read some are not hermies theY are intersex plants and are genetically programmed to produce male and female flowers. I just cant see every one of my plants herm from ph -+ I would think some of them would make it. anyway Im just trying to salvage some decent smoke out of my grow. I cant wait until I grow a pair and order some good genetics! lol

gittergreen where did you read up on "intersex" plants? Would love to read up on it myself. From my understanding and research there are only 3 types of sex in Cannabis; male, female, and hermaphrodite. Perhaps it was interpreted as "intersex" really means the same as hermaphrodite. However, there are two different types of hermaphrodite; natural and induced (to create feminized seeds). Within the two the Staminate Primordia (pollen pods) can show up at anytime during flowering along with the Pistils (Pistillate Primordia). Expect natural hermaphrodite to show itself between the 1st week and induced hermaphrodite during mid flowering.

Also hermaphrodite can happen in both sex if the environment is stressful. Part of the built in defense mechanism in reproduction ensuring the genetic get pass on. The plant sense irregularly of environment condition (changed too rapid from normal rhythm especially in light cycle), it starts working on producing seeds thus hermaphrodite is born.

The plant can start off as male with pollen pods every where and later in the flowering stage can develop pistils. Same goes for female plants developing the pods later in life. Though, some plants are pure which means given the stressful condition they remain true to their sex male/female. These are best for breeding to eliminate any hermaphrodite traits in the next generation. Are you still with us? lol

yes, I follow you. I read about intersex plants in Jorge Cervantes grow bible. He states all though dioecy is most common in cannabis, monoecious varieties do exist. monoecious varieties produce both male staminate and female flowers on the same individual.
these monoecious varietys are mainly used in hemp seed production, as they generate the most seeds per acre. plants exhibiting both staminate and pistilate flowers are most often referred to as hermaphrodites by drug cannabis growers but are more correctly refferred to as intersex plants. Intersexuality is a trait that can be expressed due to a multititude of causes, both genetic and environmental. There are intersex plants which are strictly genetic;
these plants inherited a gene that that triggers the intersex condition, even given the perfect growing environment. This is were I picked up the term intersex however I am still a little confused on the matter when I look up in this books glossary Hermaphrodite- it says an individual having flowers of both sexes on the same plant. Hermaphrodites are more correctly referred to as "intersex" plants. From what I gather from this now is Hermaphrodite was a termed name given by growers and not botonist. I was just thinking since from reading about grows where one or maybe two at the most hermied in a sea of green grow under the same conditions. In my case where every single plant 18 to be exact put out mostly female flowers then at the last 3 weeks of flower developed male staminates on every bud that it was strictly a genetic trait "Intersex" eitherway it sucks!

In my case the only adverse condition I created was very low ph in the 5 range then when the leaves started to get necrotic I added dolomitic lime and raised it to 6.8 and then a week later boom banannas everywhere. oh well lesson learned get good genetics.

gittergreen you're correct the term "Hermaphrodite" is widely use by growers and not botanist. Intersex is scientific term that best describe the phenomenon. I have not read Jorge Cervantes's books only watched his vids.

Sounds to me your plants carry the intersex/hermaphrodite genetic trait. pH swing happen all the time more common in hydroponic and that itself is not enough to trigger the trait. I could be wrong have not done experiment on this, yet. Any seeds you get from these will be hermaphrodite and/or feminized seeds. If you plan on growing them out later do a few to test them. Get some quality genetic next round for ease of growing. Even then monitoring the garden every other day for signs of hermie is important when trying out new strains. Every grower will experience some hermaphrodite plants - or in better term intersex in their life time.

Back
Top Bottom