UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series - Indoor Organic Soil Grow

Re: UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series - Indoor Organic Soil

Hey UncleCannabis. Subbed to what looks sure to be a great journal. I'm interested in the Sun Series myself after having a nightmare first grow under Cfl then hps then finally (too late) 2x 96x3 Reflectors. If you fancy a giggle (or a cry) you can have a read of my journal in my signature. It was too late for the LED's to save my plants completely but I'm getting some good new growth even though these are well overdue for harvest (took one down today that had plenty of new growth buds so I could have waited). All the best with the grow and I look forward to your updates. All the best :thumb:

Hey there Kriaze and welcome to my grow journal. I did veg with CFL's and have no complaints doing so. The CFL's that I used seemed to work pretty decent for vegging but I know that they didn't have enough intensity to be effective for flowering. I must say that I'm really digging these Sun Series lights and I'm hoping that they end up helping to produce some dank nuggets. From everything that I've read LED's should produce denser buds compared to HID lights.

I must say that I my success so far is mainly due to lots of reading and planning prior to beginning my grow.
I bought and read 3 books which I highly recommend that all new growers or non-master growers should read: Marijuana Growers Handbook by Ed Rosenthal, Marijuana Horticulture - The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Growers Guide by Jorge Cervantes, & Marijuana Garden Saver by J.C. Stitch. There is a ton of valuable information contained within these 3 books. Again, I highly recommend that everyone who wishes to grow good meds read these 3 books. I think that if most newbies would buy and read these 3 books before purchasing seeds, lights, pots, or anything else 90% or more would end up with a successful grow.

Re: UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series - Indoor Organic Soil

This is great. I've been wanting try these new lights. I"m really glad they brought back the blue and got rid of the Infra-red. I like the idea of the COB as well. The light will be well blended.

It's been a busy week so far but in a good way. :)
The fans and carbon filter that I've been waiting on have FINALLY arrived and were installed in the Ganja Grove today. It's a good thing that the fans and filter did arrive because the ganja girlies are begging to reek....but in a good way of course.
:yahoo:

There is still some stretch happening and I expect and hope that this will slow down and stop sometime soon because the girls are really beginning to take up some space. They are all at about 36" or more wide at the moment and are outgrowing the effective spread of the lights.
At 9 sq/ft or more per plant I would need 450 actual watts per plant to be at the 50 watt per square foot benchmark that I've often read about. With the Sun Series putting out 300 actual watts this puts me 150 watts short per plant. And the girls are still stretching and getting wider by the day. Looks like I'll need more lights in the tent for the next round.

Here are a few pics of the Ganja Girls at day 12 of flower.

Soviet Ripper (Soul Breeders - Hybrid)
thumb_IMG_0684_1024.jpg

Jack Herer (Greenhouse Seed Co.)
thumb_IMG_0683_1024.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies (BC Bud Depot)
thumb_IMG_0684_1024.jpg

Amnesia (World of Seeds)
thumb_IMG_0685_1024.jpg

Pics of the Ganja Grove
thumb_IMG_0688_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0686_1024.jpg

In a couple more days I'll take more pics and some close up shots as well as take measurements of the girls and provide an update for end of week 2.

Today I installed a 6" exhaust fan rated at 95 cu/ft minute with matching flow carbon filter and a 6" 95 cu/ft minute intake fan. Conditions with the tent zipped up and lights on are 81 degrees F with RH at 48%. Environmental conditions are looking good.
:)

I also picked up 2 fire extinguishers this week. I'll keep 1 just inside the door of the bedroom where my tent is located and one in the hallway nearby. They will contribute 0% to my grow and I hope that I never need to use one of them but just like disease and pest control, an ounce of prevention and precaution equals a pound of cure. Better to be safe than sorry.

Here are a couple of pics of the Ganja Grove with the new fans and filter installed.
thumb_IMG_0678_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0679_10241.jpg
thumb_IMG_0680_10241.jpg
thumb_IMG_0681_10241.jpg
thumb_IMG_0689_1024.jpg

Reps for the fire extinguisher. Excellent set up going on here UncleCannabis. Loving the filtration system. Mine has to wait for a while longer until I get more lights, but I can't wait to get that part of the space complete.

Thanks SweetSue. Same as you, I've been getting my grow area set up one step at a time as my budget has allowed. But after several months of planning and buying bits and pieces here and there things are finally coming together.
My main area of focus so far other than light selection has been on making sure that I'm able to maintain a healthy and consistent grow environment i.e. temp and RH control. I may have to tweak things a bit here and there as the grow continues and the summer heat rolls around but I think I've got temps and RH under control for the time being. Good enough for now anyway. And with the carbon filter and inline fans I should now be good to go in regards to odor control.

My next area of focus other than getting the girls through flower without killing em' is to work toward getting my garden set up so that I'm able to be away for a week or more if needed without returning to find a tent full of dead plants. This may be a pipe dream but I'm going to give it a try anyway. First step in this direction will be installing a Blumats auto watering system. The Blumats have been ordered and should arrive sometime this week. In anticipation of their arrival I'm now in the process of putting together a 110 gallon water reservoir and gravity feed system. I also mixed up a fresh batch of UncleCannabis' Groovey Grass Soil soil this week. I already have enough left over soil for next round but I thought I'd take advantage of all of the nice sunshine that we've been having for the soil cure and solarization process. Yep, UncleCannabis has been a very busy bee this week.
Time to take a break, relax, and enjoy a few bong hits.
:roorrip::cough:

those LED lights are behemoths! They look like computer servers lol. I think you could start a web hosting company in your grow room. What's the noise like coming out of all those fans?

those LED lights are behemoths! They look like computer servers lol. I think you could start a web hosting company in your grow room. What's the noise like coming out of all those fans?

They're not as big as they look but they probably have just as many fans as a computer server does. The fans move a helluva lot of air but suprisingly they are not very noisy. May be an issue for a gorilla grow inside of a dorm room or in a grow where stealth is a major concern but they are all good by me. They cannot be heard from outside of the room but I'm not a spring chicken and maybe my hearing is not as good as it used to be....
(The inline fans that I just installed are a different story. Those babies are making some racket!)
I'd be interested to know how much power load the fans are drawing versus the actual diode load. Maybe Sara could chime in when she has the time and share this data with us all.

Update
Flowering with Mars-Hydro Sun Series - End of Week 3

Well, week 2 of flowering is now history and we're now moving into week 3 beginning today. The girls appear to be doing ok without any noticeable problems that I'm aware of. They've been stretching out and up a bit as expected but the stretch seems to be slowing over the past 2 days or so. They are still stretching just not at the same rapid pace as before. The middle/lower areas are sprouting out bud sites much more than I expected. Flowering is also progressing nicely. Lots of pistils on all of them. All in all things seem to be going well.
Today I fed my soil with a top dressing consisting of a vermicast, Indonesian bat guano, and bone meal mix which was then incorporated into the top layer of soil in each pot. I then followed up with a watering of EM1/molasses/humic acid/soured milk tea. This is the first "add in" since transplanting into the current pots and it's been straight tap water for all watering up to now. I hope the girls don't scream out in agony from over fert. Oh well, if they do kill over and die, fuck em'. If they can't handle the heat they need to get out of the Ganja Grove and make room for a new batch of girls is what I say. Nah...just kidding...they might hear me.....
:oops:

I currently have the lights set at about 16" from the tallest cola on each plant. If I go any lower than 16" or so I lose effective illumination coverage toward the outer edges of each plant with the exception being the Jack Herer. She looks like a head of cabbage but she's not as wide as the other girls. :)

So far I have nothing bad to say about the lights. They appear to be doing what they're supposed to do. I'm a satisfied customer so far.

Here are the end of week 2 stats with pics:
Jack Herer (Greenhouse Seed Co.)
Average Cola Height = 11"
Average Top Height at Middle of Plant = 8"
Average Width Across Top of Plant = 29"
thumb_IMG_0728_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0729_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0725_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0719_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0717_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0721_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0732_1024.jpg

Amnesia (World of Seeds)
Average Cola Height = 14"
Average Top Height at Middle of Plant = 10"
Average Width Across Top of Plant = 42"
thumb_IMG_0735_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0734_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0743_10241.jpg

thumb_IMG_0745_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0748_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0742_1024.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies (BC Bud Depot)
Average Cola Height = 11"
Average Top Height at Middle of Plant = 7.5"
Average Width Across Top of Plant = 37"
thumb_IMG_0750_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0752_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0760_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0759_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0756_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0757_1024.jpg

Soviet Ripper (Soul Breeders)
Average Cola Height = 15"
Average Top Height at Middle of Plant = 13 1/2"
Average Width Across Top of Plant = 38"
thumb_IMG_0710_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0709_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0714_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0716_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0711_1024.jpg

Top Dressing Mix
(Two Shovel Scoops Each Plant: Soviet Ripper, Girl Scout Cookies, & Amnesia. Only One Shovel Scoop for the Jack Herer due to her smaller size and her being a heavy indica phenotype.)
thumb_IMG_0701_1024.jpg

That's about it for end of week 2 of flowering with the Mars-Hydro Sun Series. I'll be back again next week with the End of Week 3 update. In the meantime, take good care and happy growing :420: friends.

It's nice to see lots of flowers and pistils. Looks like those lights are doing a good job.

Thanks for stopping by COgrower.
Most of the ladies were showing their sex well before I flipped them to 12/12 but I'm surprised at the amount of pistils that are showing this early. Pistils began bursting out everywhere on all 4 plants as early as the later part of week 1. To date I'm very pleased with the performance of these lights. They are extremely bright and run fairly cool for the intensity of the light output. The plants are looking really healthy and seem to be in love with these lights. Won't really know how the bud formation and density ends up for several more weeks but things are looking good so far.

They're not as big as they look but they probably have just as many fans as a computer server does. The fans move a helluva lot of air but suprisingly they are not very noisy. May be an issue for a gorilla grow inside of a dorm room or in a grow where stealth is a major concern but they are all good by me. They cannot be heard from outside of the room but I'm not a spring chicken and maybe my hearing is not as good as it used to be....
(The inline fans that I just installed are a different story. Those babies are making some racket!)
I'd be interested to know how much power load the fans are drawing versus the actual diode load. Maybe Sara could chime in when she has the time and share this data with us all.

Good to know, as I get more experience and expand things I was looking at those LED's.. My next space is in the attic behind my bedroom that was my concern :) We usually run fans anyway though, but some server fans like that are like jet engines.. :Namaste:

Good to know, as I get more experience and expand things I was looking at those LED's.. My next space is in the attic behind my bedroom that was my concern :) We usually run fans anyway though, but some server fans like that are like jet engines.. :Namaste:

I think the noise from the fans would be tolerable but you'll need to make sure that you can manage temps. In most areas it usually gets awfully hot in an attic during the summer months.
Thats not counting the heat that may be generated from within the bedroom on the other side of the wall.

What goes on in the attic behind the bedroom stays in the attic behind the bedroom....except maybe heat....
:circle-of-love::slide:

You do one heck of an update UncleCannabis. Incredibly beautiful girls sharing your world and such luscious pictures to show them off. I'll be watching the Blumats in action. You often read about them, but rarely does someone take the time to document with photos. I'm hoping you plan to share the experience with us?

Back
Top Bottom