UncleC's Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - LED - SOG - La Chocolat/Vanilla Kush/LSD/GSC

Re: UncleC's Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - LED - SOG - La Chocolat/Vanilla Kush/LSD/GS

Botanical Deconstructionalism

I like this. :rofl:

I've always fallen on the side of leave them all attached unless absolutely necessary, but then I started watching Doc's yields and decided to try it this time with my Carnival and Afghani, right before they got flipped and then again after about two weeks into the flip. It was easier to do than I thought (I expected more angst) and they both bounced back from their Brazilians like nothing had ever happened. So far so good. All I lost were the popcorn buds from underneath really, and my expectation is bigger buds in the end.

This was more than defoliation, though, and I couldn't bring myself to go as far as Doc goes yet, but two weeks into the flip I did thin out the interior so that you could see through to the soil from above.

The rules keep changing, don't they? We're all just lab rats. :laughtwo:

Pretty buds, Bud. :battingeyelashes:

Re: UncleC's Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - LED - SOG - La Chocolat/Vanilla Kush/LSD/GS

I guess the thing to remember is that selective pruning redirects and redistributes auxins and other growth hormones to promote desired branching structure.
Defoliation is something completely different. Defoliation is the manipulation of a plants leaves to redistribute or direct photosynthesis.

Doing a bit of both selective pruning and selective defoliation is probably beneficial for most strains. The key is finding the balance that works best for a particular strain or growing method.

Another thing to consider is what the meds will be used for. Larfy lower buds have zero bag appeal. So a commercial farmer or someone that has no interest in making hash, butter, or oils would have no use for the popcorn buds.
In this case, it may be better to remove all lower growth so that all auxins and plant energy can be directed toward the upper buds only. End result would likely be a similar overall yield weight when compared to not pruning or defoliating but you should end up with fewer but much larger buds that have really good bag appeal. Opinion only....

Those big pumpkins, tomatoes, and other fruit that win spots in the Guinness Book of World Records are typically grown by using selective pruning methods. By eliminating all other fruit from the plant except for one, all of the plants growth hormones and energy are directed toward the production of the one fruit that is left on the plant.
Some of the other branches (with leaves) are left on the plant in order to fuel photosynthesis but the bud sites on these non fruit producing branches are nipped off so that the branch is a net producer of energy and not a drain on plant resources.

How did I ever venture off into the world of pumpkins....?? Hummm.......

I guess the thing to remember is that selective pruning redirects and redistributes auxins and other growth hormones to promote desired branching structure.
Defoliation is something completely different. Defoliation is the manipulation of a plants leaves to redistribute or direct photosynthesis.

Doing a bit of both selective pruning and selective defoliation is probably beneficial for most strains. The key is finding the balance that works best for a particular strain or growing method.

Another thing to consider is what the meds will be used for. Larfy lower buds have zero bag appeal. So a commercial farmer or someone that has no interest in making hash, butter, or oils would have no use for the popcorn buds.
In this case, it may be better to remove all lower growth so that all auxins and plant energy can be directed toward the upper buds only. End result would likely be a similar overall yield weight when compared to not pruning or defoliating but you should end up with fewer but much larger buds that have really good bag appeal. Opinion only....

Those big pumpkins, tomatoes, and other fruit that win spots in the Guinness Book of World Records are typically grown by using selective pruning methods. By eliminating all other fruit from the plant except for one, all of the plants growth hormones and energy are directed toward the production of the one fruit that is left on the plant.
Some of the other branches (with leaves) are left on the plant in order to fuel photosynthesis but the bud sites on these non fruit producing branches are nipped off so that the branch is a net producer of energy and not a drain on plant resources.

That's kinda part of my attitude. MJ is a pretty easy plant to grow. Stick a few seeds in the ground and just let it go, and you're still going to get X amount of decent product. Getting the top end of optimum yield/quality takes work and practice, which is why everyone is here, I guess.. Trying different stuff is part of the fun. I love LST, for example, cos you can pretty much do anything; alter the shape and size, doing no real harm to the plant. Look at super-cropping, something I might try soon.. Pretty big damage to one limb but on a healthy plant, it just heals up better than before... If doing it to roses improved those flowers, it'd be on tv every week.
All the thought and work and words written are mainly aimed at optimising the output of the final product; the plant itself, however, already wants to do this itself....which is a huge head start!
Manipulating it to your own end, successfully, is the real reason for this hobby, and now we're back to religious philosophy!
:blunt:

Manipulating it to your own end, successfully, is the real reason for this hobby, and now we're back to religious philosophy!
:blunt:

The "successfully" part is what I seem to struggle with. :)

It's way too late, I'm way too high and definitely way too tired to attempt to join in on the wit going around right now. Can't wait to see what you think of the Chocolat!

Well Halloween is coming, or maybe you were having a Cinderella moment ;)

A stoned blonde moment is more like it. It's the fault of Amnesia from my last run. :tokin:

Vanilla Kush Harvest - Done

thumb_IMG_2490_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2494_1024.jpg

I really hate trimming.... :phew::phew:

Let me know when you get up to trimming 5+ lbs, That's when it becomes a hateful job LOL but as sickening as it became, I kept focusing on the end product ;) a little puff here and there helps too LOL

Fuck that! 5 pounds all in one go would make me develop a permanent twitch. :trance::icon_roll:drool::icon_roll:surrender:

Fuck that! 5 pounds all in one go would make me develop a permanent twitch. :trance::icon_roll:drool::icon_roll:surrender:

16 years old in 13 hours I trimmed 16lbs. I think it's what triggered the RA in my hands. It was more than likely inevitable.. but that single event sure didn't help.

Wowza!!! 16lbs in one day?? You must be like Edward Scissor hands!! :adore::adore::adore:

Wowza!!! 16lbs in one day?? You must be like Edward Scissor hands!! :adore::adore::adore:

Yeah my hands feel about as rigid as old edwards! I'd be lucky to do a lb in a day these days!

Yeah my hands feel about as rigid as old edwards! I'd be lucky to do a lb in a day these days!

It must be asked: what were you ingesting at that time to enhance your trimming abilities? I refuse to believe you trimmed that much straight.

UncleCannabis, I'd have been more than pleased to come and help with the trim. You need only ask. Oh yeah, that pesky time/space thingy. Never mind. Great job on the harvest though. Such a lovely parting photo also. I always appreciate your photographic eye.

:thumb:

UncleCannabis, I'd have been more than pleased to come and help with the trim. You need only ask. Oh yeah, that pesky time/space thingy. Never mind. Great job on the harvest though. Such a lovely parting photo also. I always appreciate your photographic eye.

:thumb:

Hey there Sue,
Thanks for the comps my friend. The pics were taken with an iPad. It must be programed to compensate for a lack of photography skills by the button pusher. :)
I only have a couple of girls left to trim so this run will be a wrap soon. Can I take a rain check on your offer to help with the trimming chores? :Namaste:

Ganja Grove Update - Flowering - End of Week 9 (Plus 2 Days)

Environmental Conditions -
Lights On -
Temps - 75 to 80 degrees F
RH - 47 to 60%

Lights Off -
Temps - 64 to 68 degrees F
RH - 50 to 65%

Nutrients / Fert's / Stuff -
None this week

Pest Control / Prevention -
Leaf inspection only. No pest observed.

Weekly Summary
First off, apologies for the late update. It's been a crazy busy week both at work as well as in the garden so I'm just now getting caught up.

Quick summary of the weeks activities.

LA Chocolat - Chopped, trimmed, dried, and jarred up. Weight after dry / before cure = 112 grams

thumb_IMG_2513_1024.jpg

Vanilla Kush - Chopped, trimmed, dried, and jarred up. Weight after dry / before cure = 136 grams

thumb_IMG_2552_1024_copy.jpg

LSD - Chopped, trimmed, dried, and jarred up. Weight after dry / before cure = 164 grams

thumb_IMG_2519_1024_copy.jpg

thumb_IMG_2629_1024_copy.jpg

Jack Herer #2 - Chopped and trimmed. Drying at the moment.

thumb_IMG_2521_1024_copy.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies #2 - Chopped and trimmed. Drying at the moment.

thumb_IMG_2524_1024_copy.jpg

Cookie Monster (Girl Scout Cookies #1 Mother)
She's getting super frosty and I've noticed that she's been bulking up quite a bit as well. She has a few more weeks to go so it will be interesting to see what she does as she gets nearer to the finish line.

thumb_IMG_2633_1024_copy.jpg
thumb_IMG_2643_1024_copy.jpg

LA Chocolat Clone -
Since the other girls have been chopped this has opened up some space to allow me to pull back and tie down her branches a bit which opened up the canopy. This resulted in an immediate growth spurt with buds beginning to stack up nicely.

thumb_IMG_2649_1024_copy.jpg

That's about all for now.

Keep it green :420: friends.
:blunt::peace:

Thanks buddy. Between work commitments and harvest chores I haven't had much time for anything else. It's been one helluva' a crazy week. :phew:

Back
Top Bottom