UncleC's Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - LED - SOG - La Chocolat/Vanilla Kush/LSD/GSC

Re: UncleC's Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - LED - SOG - La Chocolat/Vanilla Kush/LSD/GS

well i'm sorry english is not my first language , what is the terps ? :)

Terpenes. The smell/flavor of the bud comes from terpenes.

Re: UncleC's Ganja Grove - Organic Soil - LED - SOG - La Chocolat/Vanilla Kush/LSD/GS

I cured my Vanilla Kush for a free months, man the smell alone is awesome.

This girl sure does smell lovely. Her aroma is not overpowering, in fact she doesn't stink much at all. But once you get close up or happen to get some of that sticky resin on your hand or arm it smells like vanilla candy. Yummy :loopy::yummy:

Not to steal the spotlight from my mate UC. I do have over a decade in hash and bubble hash processing. The most important thing you need to figure out is do you want hash or bubble hash! Dry cured trim will give you brick like hash. Fresh lightly cured trim will give you sticky icky bubble hash that is more often used to dab with vs smoke. I wouldn't process more than an ounce or two in the 1 gal bags, though that is me. Best of luck mate! Processing hash becomes an art form itself once you figure it all out. There is no shortage of members in here that I'm sure would be happy to share what they know with you!

Since you froze it already, I'd shoot for bubble hash or live resin. Keep the terps as best ya can.

Terpenes. The smell/flavor of the bud comes from terpenes.

Thanks to you both for helping out while I was away from the :nomo:
:thanks::Namaste::high-five:

Reps++ coming your way guys!
:welldone::high-five:

I'm definitely staying around :)
I wanna ask u few questions if it's possible .. first do u think defoliation is important during flowering ?ur girls look abit bushy i think, but still so healthy and beautiful ofcourse.
the second is about the bubble hash , is it a must to use dried trim ? i'm a new grower and i'm keeping my trim right away in the freezer without drying them , would they still make good bubble hash ? , and if i have the small 1 gallon bubble bags how many grams of fresh frozen trim should i use per batch ?
Thank u very much in advance
Cheers :lot-o-toke:

In most cases, I'm not a proponent of major defoliation but I do rip a few leaves off every now and then.
I take the bottom leaves off so that no leaves are touching the soil but I don't lollipop very high. I stop where the branching begins or just above this area with the purpose of increasing air flow. Most defol that I do is to increase air flow to minimize the risk of PM and bud rot and such. Some strains do better if some of the leaves are removed, some don't need it (longer node distances), and some won't like it very much. I guess it's a case by case thing for me but I don't condone just ripping leaves off without any forethought and a game plan.

For increased light penetration I usually just tuck leaves back.
IMHO any major defoliation should be done before flip to minimize stress. Light defol can be done into the second, maybe third week of flower but doing it any later may be a stress trigger for a plant to go hermi on you.

Back in the day I used to defol big time. The reason I did so was because it used to get "dry" during the grow season and flag leaves were worth their weight in gold.
At times there was no weed to be found because of the War on Drugs push so we smoked a lot of flag leaves during the dry spells back in the day. Now that I don't need to smoke the flag leaves I tend to leave most of them on now. :)

I think Growlow and CajunCelt have you covered with questioned that you had regarding hash making. I think both of these guys have much more experience than I do with this so I'm really glad that they were so kind to offer their advise.

Thanks fella's!!
:thanks::welldone::Namaste::high-five::passitleft::peace:

Ganja Grove Update - Flowering - End of Week 8

Environmental Conditions -
Lights On -
Temps - 75 to 80 degrees F
RH - 47 to 60%

Lights Off -
Temps - 64 to 68 degrees F
RH - 50 to 65%

Nutrients / Fert's / Stuff -
Calcium and dolomite were added to both Cookie Monster and LA Chocolat clone as a topdressing and incorporated into the soil.

Pest Control / Prevention -
Leaf inspection only. No pest observed.

Weekly Summary
Things have been going well and harvest activities have now begun with LA Chocolat being moved into The Smoke House for a dark period before chop.
:yahoo:

On Monday I removed the filter media from my inlet ducting which decreased lights on temp by about 2 degrees F.
Before doing so I freshened up my moth ball cup with fresh moth balls. Hopefully this will help to prevent any stray critters from invading my room and sneaking in through the open vent holes.

On Thursday I gave a few of the girls a fresh water washdown with a garden sprayer as a pre harvest rinse. When finished I shook off the remaining water then put a fan blowing on them until dry.
On Thursday I also gave all of the girls a light leaching to flush any salts that may have collected. After leaching all of the drip tubs were cleaned with a bleach/water solution.

Vanilla Kush and LSD will likely be chopped within 1 week or less. They still have a bit more pistil receding left to go but they're almost ready.
VK looks to have about 2 to 3 more days or so. LSD looks to have about another 3 to 7 days left.

Jack Herer still has lots of pistils sticking out but the color change is quite advanced and pistil receding is beginning.

GSC #2 seems to have at least a week or two, possibly more, before she’ll be ready to harvest. She’ll be the late one but after seeing the sativa type leaves I expected her to be a later finisher than the others.

GSC#1 AKA The Cookie Monster is really stacking on bud weight at the moment. Her larger buds are beginning to lean over so I’ll need to install some bamboo stakes tomorrow.
After starting off in such poor health as a neglected mother, I really didn’t expect her to blossom like she has. She's some really fine smoke so I'm glad that she decided to cooperate.

Group Pics -
20203.jpg

22264.jpg

LSD

25-LSD.jpg

Vanilla Kush

24-Vanilla.jpg

Jack Herer

26-JH.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies #2

26-GSC2.jpg

Girls Scout Cookies #1 (Cookie Monster)

27-GSC1-1.jpg

28-GSC1-3.jpg

29-GSC1-2.jpg

LA Chocolat

30-LAchocClone.jpg

Keep it green :420: friends.
:blunt::peace:

Thanks my brutha!
LA Choc will get chopped tonight with VK to follow. The LA Choc smells like sweet cantaloupe. I get a feeling that this one won't last long. I'm glad that I put one of her clones in the tent. :)

Looking very good Unc. Enjoyed my recent LAC watching a football game yesterday. Thanks for info on defol. & hermies.....finding similar correlation myself. What do you do for the buds that develop below the terminal cola further down the stem? Remove them or defol. to open up even if past initial flower wks.? Stretchy sativas are no problem...it's the dense, tight indicas that I find hard to open up or keep open.
:thanks::Namaste:

Hey there brightlight. I just finished trimming my LA Chocolat. She super sticky and has a very nice aroma. It seems as though she's going to a winner.

When it comes to defoliation of cannabis there are many differing opinions. What I've stated is my opinion only.
My thoughts on defol are based on past arborist experience. Selective pruning of branches in order to open up the canopy or direct growth would be done prior to bloom. In most cases, pruning would be done in the spring so that there is ample time for the preferred growth effect to occur before flowering.
I'm not sure if this would apply to cannabis since cannabis is an annual and not a perennial plant. Like I mentioned, I do defol sometimes. In fact, I did some light defoliation on a couple of the current ganja girls around week 2 or 3 of bloom in order to improve some air flow.
The lower larfy buds make excellent hash or cannabutter/oil. I don't really think that trimming them off results in much of an increase in yield of the upper cola area. Opinion only....
:peace:

Whether someone agrees or disagrees with the concept of defoliation IMHO it would be better to defoliate if needed and maybe/possibly/maybe not sacrifice a bit of yield in return for NOT having bud rot or PM problems due to lack of air flow through the canopy. What good is higher yield if it's full of bud rot or PM??

In most cases, I'm not a proponent of major defoliation but I do rip a few leaves off every now and then.
I take the bottom leaves off so that no leaves are touching the soil but I don't lollipop very high. I stop where the branching begins or just above this area with the purpose of increasing air flow. Most defol that I do is to increase air flow to minimize the risk of PM and bud rot and such. Some strains do better if some of the leaves are removed, some don't need it (longer node distances), and some won't like it very much. I guess it's a case by case thing for me but I don't condone just ripping leaves off without any forethought and a game plan.

For increased light penetration I usually just tuck leaves back.
IMHO any major defoliation should be done before flip to minimize stress. Light defol can be done into the second, maybe third week of flower but doing it any later may be a stress trigger for a plant to go hermi on you.

Back in the day I used to defol big time. The reason I did so was because it used to get "dry" during the grow season and flag leaves were worth their weight in gold.
At times there was no weed to be found because of the War on Drugs push so we smoked a lot of flag leaves during the dry spells back in the day. Now that I don't need to smoke the flag leaves I tend to leave most of them on now. :)

I think Growlow and CajunCelt have you covered with questioned that you had regarding hash making. I think both of these guys have much more experience than I do with this so I'm really glad that they were so kind to offer their advise.

Thanks fella's!!
:thanks::welldone::Namaste::high-five::passitleft::peace:

Thank u man :thanks: , i actually cut off few leaves in the second week of flowering and i kinda regret it now , i feel like my plants growth slowed down , so most probably i'm not gonna do it anymore , i believe those leaves will be needed later
it'd be great if u checked my journal whenever u have time and give any suggestions or advice

Katatonia's Journal - CFLs - Northern Light - Soil

and btw ur plants look like heaven ! :) cheers bro :volcano-smiley:

LA Chocolat Harvest

thumb_IMG_2474_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2476_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2478_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2485_1024.jpg

:slide:

Thank u man :thanks: , i actually cut off few leaves in the second week of flowering and i kinda regret it now , i feel like my plants growth slowed down , so most probably i'm not gonna do it anymore , i believe those leaves will be needed later
it'd be great if u checked my journal whenever u have time and give any suggestions or advice

Katatonia's Journal - CFLs - Northern Light - Soil

and btw ur plants look like heaven ! :) cheers bro :volcano-smiley:

Thanks for the compliment. I just checked out your garden and I must say that you're doing a fine job. :goodjob:

I don't think that you did any harm by removing leaves like you did. Removing a few leaves here and there during bloom should not cause any problems unless you remove too much at one time.

Thanks for info on defol Uncle. I really don't like cutting off any leaves, but find I have to do it indoors. Bringing up laterals to even up canopy only requires some fims & tucking so I don't defol. until mid to late veg. I continue light defol. to get light down onto lower portions of laterals & try to end it by 2nd or 3rd wk. of bloom. I never strip a branch of most or all leaves as I see others do.:Namaste:

WICKED blanket of trichomes on LAC pic #3! :jawdropper:

Great harvest Unc. Congrats.
Defol. Tough subject.
I've seen guys strip the poor plant to the point it looked like an ivy & get huge awesome yields.
But, I've seen/had plants stall out, weaken, produce crappy just cause too many fans were pulled.
Even in commercial grows (or at least ours, lol) it's argued about too.

You only have t look at Light Addicts (and others) work to know it can work; the key seems to be veg time... Give the plant enough time and it will recover in a good environment. Some plants take to it better than others. As a fast growing annual, mj is a good plant to try the technique out on but it will slow the plant down quite a lot in extreme cases. I avoid it completely during flowering.. And be careful with autos. They're on a set time-line no matter what light schedule.
But it can and does work in moderation; to provide extra light/air or encourage branching...

I always look at it like this, with any plant: it wants to live. Any given plants sole purpose for existance is to grow and flower/reproduce. In the wild, animal and insect attacks, weather damage, falling debris can all do damage; healthy plants will survive and even florish regardless with enough time to do so.
Major defol on a straight-to-12/12 mj? I wouldn't.. Outdoor plant over a whole summer...? Why not? Or 1/2 big mj indoors when speed is not important...

To Defoliate, or Not Defoliate......fits right in with discussions about politics and religion doesn't it? LOL!!
:peace:

Yeah; at the alter of MJ, is defol heresy or worship...? And if organics is fundamentalist, is defol extremism? These are the questions that keep me awake a night.....
:trance:

Yeah; at the alter of MJ, is defol heresy or worship...? And if organics is fundamentalist, is defol extremism? These are the questions that keep me awake a night.....
:trance:

Botanical Deconstructionalism

Back
Top Bottom